• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Line Discussion

AZGrizFan said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Ostmo could be that guy for us. Especially if those hogs were opening up holes for him.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ostmo and the way he runs. But he does NOT run like Leupke. That kid is just.....different. He reminds me of Mike Alstott.

Leupke = a healthy “Thunder” Dan Moore.

grizfnz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Don't get me wrong. I love Ostmo and the way he runs. But he does NOT run like Leupke. That kid is just.....different. He reminds me of Mike Alstott.

Same style, yes, but I'd put him above Dan as well.

kemajic said:
LaJollaGriz said:
I do agree that the Mid-West is a better place to recruit the big uglies than Washington and Oregon. Do we have coaches who have any connections in MN, WI, IA, etc? Not sure. It may be prudent to hire some assistant coaches who have ties to that region, to open up a pipeline to talent there.
We got a great looking RB from MN so someone must be paying attention there.

One MN player in the past few years? My info is that this kid contacted the Montana coaches, and that initiated the recruiting process. One player does not mean we are actively recruiting MN and WI. MSU has had several kids from those states in the past few years.

LaJollaGriz said:
Here is my two cents on this discussion. Everyone commenting makes good points. There has been much criticism from multiple posters about our O-line coach. He is in his second term as our O-line coach, so it would be interesting to look back at the lines he coached in his first tour here. Were they good lines?
If he was an effective line coach then, why wouldn't he continue to be an effective coach today? If the answer is that he was a good coach back then, the answer now must be that we are not recruiting the same level of talent now as we did back then.
It seems true that we are not recruiting many O-linemen any longer from the state of Montana. Maybe there are not many worthy of recruiting now. I do agree that the Mid-West is a better place to recruit the big uglies than Washington and Oregon. Do we have coaches who have any connections in MN, WI, IA, etc? Not sure. It may be prudent to hire some assistant coaches who have ties to that region, to open up a pipeline to talent there.

Germer has coached 1 OL who achieved 1st team all BSC in his 2nd stint with the Griz. 1. That was Reese in 2017. Let that sink in relative to former days of DOLA glory.

He is the Achilles heel of the Griz coaching staff.

SoldierGriz said:
LaJollaGriz said:
Here is my two cents on this discussion. Everyone commenting makes good points. There has been much criticism from multiple posters about our O-line coach. He is in his second term as our O-line coach, so it would be interesting to look back at the lines he coached in his first tour here. Were they good lines?
If he was an effective line coach then, why wouldn't he continue to be an effective coach today? If the answer is that he was a good coach back then, the answer now must be that we are not recruiting the same level of talent now as we did back then.
It seems true that we are not recruiting many O-linemen any longer from the state of Montana. Maybe there are not many worthy of recruiting now. I do agree that the Mid-West is a better place to recruit the big uglies than Washington and Oregon. Do we have coaches who have any connections in MN, WI, IA, etc? Not sure. It may be prudent to hire some assistant coaches who have ties to that region, to open up a pipeline to talent there.

Germer has coached 1 OL who achieved 1st team all BSC in his 2nd stint with the Griz. 1. That was Reese in 2017. Let that sink in relative to former days of DOLA glory.

Soldier, I started this thread specifically thinking of your criticisms over the past two+ years… :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Soldier, I started this thread specifically thinking of your criticisms over the past two+ years… :thumb:

I think many realize there is a problem. Many possible variables in the equation. I just think results matter...and his are simply not great right now IMO.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think many realize there is a problem. Many possible variables in the equation. I just think results matter...and his are simply not great right now IMO.

Thank you

Maybe our line coaches need to install (Him) Blocking rules. Big Guards and Tackles. When asked about A (G Block) You get a shrug; Ok who do you block? Response: pointing to nearest Defender and says (HIM). Go Griz Big stuff coming in 2022.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Don’t we grow some fairly large farm boys in Montana? Seems like MSU has had several pretty good O-linemen out of Montana the past few years…we seem to always want to go get ours out of Arizona or somewhere like that…

I will take a stab at this. Montana just doesn't have the numbers like it used to 20 years ago that was the bread and butter of Griz teams of during the hey days. Rural Montana population has decreased significantly and family farms can rely on technology instead of the labor of 8 boys. The upper midwest still has a significant rural farm population.

Our long time high school football coach says ever since the widespread use of four-wheelers and round bailers the "natural" strength of high school ranch kids has gone to shit. Says they can hardly get kids in the weight room to lift as seniors what the old kids could do before they ever starting lifting. They all seem to have good thumb and finger dexterity now...

horribilisfan8184 said:
grizindabox said:
I will take a stab at this. Montana just doesn't have the numbers like it used to 20 years ago that was the bread and butter of Griz teams of during the hey days. Rural Montana population has decreased significantly and family farms can rely on technology instead of the labor of 8 boys. The upper midwest still has a significant rural farm population.

Our long time high school football coach says ever since the widespread use of four-wheelers and round bailers the "natural" strength of high school ranch kids has gone to shit. Says they can hardly get kids in the weight room to lift as seniors what the old kids could do before they ever starting lifting. They all seem to have good thumb and finger dexterity now...

So they don’t have four-wheelers and round balers in the Midwest? I’m seriously confused….Montana farmboys are now pussies, but Midwest farmboys are bad asses?

AZGrizFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

So they don’t have four-wheelers and round balers in the Midwest? I’m seriously confused….Montana farmboys are now pussies, but Midwest farmboys are bad asses?
Yeah, this narrative doesn't make any sense to me. I'll buy the population decline angle, but not the assumption that MT farm kids are softer than MN farm kids.

There's a consistent thread from parents whose kids are no longer Griz O-Linemen (for one reason or another) that Germer isn't a very good developer of talent. I dunno if that's the truth or just sour grapes, but a few seem to think that, and he has been around an awfully long time, arguably without a whole lot of home-grown success to show for it.

grizfnz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I read on another site that Hunter Leupke was a 4 time conference champion and 3 time state qualifier in wrestling. Won the 2017 state title at 175lbs the 2018 state title at 220lbs He went 49=0 on the mat his senior year. He was a 3 time all conference center fielder in baseball. Conference champion in the 100 meter dash and National honor society member.

Seems pretty obvious that the line has not been a strong point to say the least for quite a few years ....different kids, from different states but one constant is the coach. Sooner or later when there is enough smoke, it means there is a fire even if people in charge say don't worry all is well. Do I expect Bobby to make the change....no, but if he wants to actually win a championship he would be wise to try something new because this is not working. Look how many years now it comes up but excuses run out of steam. The "young" one just expired since 3 of 5 were seniors and the other two starters were transfers so were developed elsewhere. Maybe the only hope is more transfers every year to try and get a dominant line, but that seems more like treating the symptoms and not fixing the problem.

Ursus1 said:
Seems pretty obvious that the line has not been a strong point to say the least for quite a few years ....different kids, from different states but one constant is the coach. Sooner or later when there is enough smoke, it means there is a fire even if people in charge say don't worry all is well. Do I expect Bobby to make the change....no, but if he wants to actually win a championship he would be wise to try something new because this is not working. Look how many years now it comes up but excuses run out of steam. The "young" one just expired since 3 of 5 were seniors and the other two starters were transfers so were developed elsewhere. Maybe the only hope is more transfers every year to try and get a dominant line, but that seems more like treating the symptoms and not fixing the problem.

You say this so nicely.
Ok, if and I mean if bobby gets a new line coach, does the time line for excuses start again ?

Ursus1 said:

you can have all the talent you want, but if you can't get the 5 guys to work together as a unit, 5 JD Quinns won't help.

AZGrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:

you can have all the talent you want, but if you can't get the 5 guys to work together as a unit, 5 JD Quinns won't help.
Your point is well taken, but believe me, 5 J.D. Quinns would definitely help in any situation. 5X-DOLA

Ursus1 said:
This doubled....... :clap: :thumb:

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Your point is well taken, but believe me, 5 J.D. Quinns would definitely help in any situation. 5X-DOLA
:lol: :lol: OK, maybe that was a TAD over the top....but the point does remain.

AZGrizFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Well they haven't "ridden the range" for a century in the corn belt, grow a lot of crops that don't start with the word "hay", but they still run feed lots and hog troughs the same as they did 50 years ago, where dairy (not sheep) are still labor intensive. And their horses don't roam the prairie, but live primarily in stable stalls that have to be mucked twice a day by hand. Hope this little education helps with your confusion. And the coach didn't say the Montana boys were pussies, your derogatory smear, not mine, he was explaining why they are, as a whole, not as big or strong as they used to be when hitting high school.

horribilisfan8184 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well they haven't "ridden the range" for a century in the corn belt, grow a lot of crops that don't start with the word "hay", but they still run feed lots and hog troughs the same as they did 50 years ago, where dairy (not sheep) are still labor intensive. And their horses don't roam the prairie, but live primarily in stable stalls that have to be mucked twice a day by hand. Hope this little education helps with your confusion. And the coach didn't say the Montana boys were pussies, your derogatory smear, not mine, he was explaining why they are, as a whole, not as big or strong as they used to be when hitting high school.

I see. We can dance around the issue by saying coded things like "natural strength has gone to shit" and "they have good thumb and finger dexterity" (implying they just sit around and play video games), but calling them pussies is somehow a "derogatory smear". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess next time I have a question about where the "acceptable language" line is drawn, I'll PM you.

Back