• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O’Connell a Top 3 Finalist for Buck

AZGrizFan said:
Montanabear777 said:
O'Connell is going to have a MONSTER senior year. One of the best diamond in the rough finds for UM EVER. I don't want this season to end, but if and when it does, the future looks very bright.

He found them, actually. :oops: :oops:

One of Stitt’s swings and misses in-state….

Shtitt.

Brother Bear said:
O’Connell, a 6-2, 225-pound redshirt junior from Kalispell, Montana, earned first-team All-Big Sky honors after totaling 91 tackles, including 40 solos, with a conference-high 13 sacks as well as 19.5 tackles for 121 yards in losses. He had five QB hurries, three forced fumbles and one fumble return for a touchdown.

Land, a 6-4, 215-pound redshirt junior from Buffalo, New York, had 43 tackles, including 32 solos, and produced 25.5 tackles for 147 yards in losses and 19 sacks for 121 yards in losses – all FCS-leading totals. The Southwestern Athletic Conference defensive player of the year had five QB hurries, two pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Andersen, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound senior from Dillon, Montana, who was burned for a TD on the second play of the Brawl of the wild in a monumental loss to the Griz, was named the Big Sky Conference defensive player of the year. During the regular season, he racked up 111 tackles, including 57 solos, with 9.5 tackles for loss and two sacks. He also had two interceptions (one a touchdown return), seven pass breakups, one quarterback hurry and one fumble recovery.
Man, this is a tough one.

Sacks tend to be king in the Buck voting, so I'm thinking Land is probably the front runner, then probably O'Connell after that, but who knows.

uofmman1122 said:
Brother Bear said:
O’Connell, a 6-2, 225-pound redshirt junior from Kalispell, Montana, earned first-team All-Big Sky honors after totaling 91 tackles, including 40 solos, with a conference-high 13 sacks as well as 19.5 tackles for 121 yards in losses. He had five QB hurries, three forced fumbles and one fumble return for a touchdown.

Land, a 6-4, 215-pound redshirt junior from Buffalo, New York, had 43 tackles, including 32 solos, and produced 25.5 tackles for 147 yards in losses and 19 sacks for 121 yards in losses – all FCS-leading totals. The Southwestern Athletic Conference defensive player of the year had five QB hurries, two pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Andersen, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound senior from Dillon, Montana, who was burned for a TD on the second play of the Brawl of the wild in a monumental loss to the Griz, was named the Big Sky Conference defensive player of the year. During the regular season, he racked up 111 tackles, including 57 solos, with 9.5 tackles for loss and two sacks. He also had two interceptions (one a touchdown return), seven pass breakups, one quarterback hurry and one fumble recovery.

Sacks tend to be king in the Buck voting, so I'm thinking Land is probably the front runner, then probably O'Connell after that, but who knows.

Only 43 tackles, and 25.5 of them were FOR a LOSS??? That doesn’t even seem possible…. :lol:

Even though one of them plays for the enemy, I think it’s pretty cool that 2 of the top 3 defenders in the country are “Made in Montana.”

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Only 43 tackles, and 25.5 of them were FOR a LOSS??? That doesn’t even seem possible…. :lol:
Yeah, that's what I mean. The more you read it, the more you're like "...woah, what?" :lol:

That's why I think Land might take it.

SACCAT66 said:
Montanabear777 said:

Believe that Marriani and Colt Anderson were both Walk-ons as well...

Correct but walked on to Griz from high school so maybe got preferred walk on or at least had coaches talking to them.

O’Connell never got a shot with Griz out of high school. He went to University of Mary in North Dakota to play football and baseball. Came to Griz as a sophomore to walk on and play. Glad it worked out!

HookedonGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
Believe that Marriani and Colt Anderson were both Walk-ons as well...

Correct but walked on to Griz from high school so maybe got preferred walk on or at least had coaches talking to them.

O’Connell never got a shot with Griz out of high school. He went to University of Mary in North Dakota to play football and baseball. Came to Griz as a sophomore to walk on and play. Glad it worked out!

:thumb:

uofmman1122 said:
Brother Bear said:

I'd guess Anderson, they favor seniors.

Not a big deal but I think it’s interesting to note that the top 3 teams SHS, NDS, and JMU do not have a candidate making the the top 10 for the Buchanan Award.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yep, a “Lifetime Achievement Award” .

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

That's not true. Two of the last three winners were Juniors.

It's purely about stats.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Depends on what they voted on. Stats on paper, game film, defensive schemes? MSU gets pressure with their 4 D lineman & doesn't blitz often so Andersen's sack stats are low, but tackles are high. O'Connell's a stud, and with the blitz packages UM runs his sack numbers shine. If you pulled O'Connell out of the lineup, & you pulled Andersen out, which team would suffer more? Hard for me to say. I'd love to have seen Andersen play a full season for the griz this year (bet you would have too!) & with his speed he'd have record breaking sack numbers - I truly believe this. UM's had some fast linebackers sideline to sideline, but none faster than Andersen. All that said, the 3rd kid will probably win! All deserving. Good luck Friday night - hope to see you again in Frisco!

Bear Spray said:
kemajic said:

Depends on what they voted on. Stats on paper, game film, defensive schemes? MSU gets pressure with their 4 D lineman & doesn't blitz often so Andersen's sack stats are low, but tackles are high. O'Connell's a stud, and with the blitz packages UM runs his sack numbers shine. If you pulled O'Connell out of the lineup, & you pulled Andersen out, which team would suffer more? Hard for me to say. I'd love to have seen Andersen play a full season for the griz this year (bet you would have too!) & with his speed he'd have record breaking sack numbers - I truly believe this. UM's had some fast linebackers sideline to sideline, but none faster than Andersen. All that said, the 3rd kid will probably win! All deserving. Good luck Friday night - hope to see you again in Frisco!

It’s not an MVP vote.

daGrizJ said:
grizfnz said:
Yep, a “Lifetime Achievement Award” .

And, I can't be one to say he doesn't deserve it. Dude's been a monster at every position he had to play.

They should create a “Swiss Army Knife” award and give it to Anderson. :lol:

Back