• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Not your regular favorite griz ever thread..

Fat Bruno said:
Molly McCollum, red haired, green eyed, head cheerleader in the 60s ... now someone's great grandmother.

Sounds like a poor man's Wilma "Gams" Fitzpatrick.

'68griz said:
I watched Karl, Ray and Bobby play. They were terrific players, for sure. But, that was another time and, almost, another kind of game.

You're right '68. It is another kind of game. You & I and all the other old-timers here have had the privilege of seeing the game evolve. Imagine a spread-style offense being run in the 60's when the wishbone & triple option philosophy's were blooming. Or the wide-open passing offenses like Air Reed in comparison to those ground & pound days. The players are seemingly bigger & faster every year. I look @ pictures of myself in the day and wonder how I ever got a bruise because I was covered head to toe in padding. Now the equipment is all high tech, today's player hardly looks like they're wearing more than a helmet and a uniform.

The good thing in all of this is that while it is in large part a different game, there are still those pockets of power football, triple option, air-it-out football blended with next century football thinking that make it truly entertaining.

Dam it. I broke into that marketing voice in my head again.

The little red headed kid Jimmy Farris.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/jimmy-farris-never-takes-a-day-off/article_097d228e-af93-11de-a3f2-001cc4c03286.html

Mike Erhardt. Was a giant amongst tiny receivers when DD was here. Most important 4th down catch in Griz history, against an All-American corner.

"Sounds like a poor man's Wilma "Gams" Fitzpatrick.”

To those of us who remember her ... and worshipped from afar — old men with finely tuned taste for the finer vintages -- she was a poor man’s Maureen O’ Hara, but none the poorer for the comparison.

Wrong again, boys ... and terribly pedestrian in your reasoning. The fact that new schemes have been developed and a few new wrinkles come along from time to time, has nothing to do with changing the essentials, and certainly does not make it a different game. There is just no way to sugar coat how goddamn far off and even perverse you are being.

Completely forgot about Karl Stein, and his position coach, Jack Elway.

Nice remembrance by "Grizzly Bill" Schwanke:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/karl-stein-mastered-the-art-of-interception/article_e91208de-ac68-11de-abed-001cc4c03286.html

Fat Bruno said:
Wrong again, boys ... and terribly pedestrian in your reasoning. The fact that new schemes have been developed and a few new wrinkles come along from time to time, has nothing to do with changing the essentials, and certainly does not make it a different game. There is just no way to sugar coat how goddamn far off and even perverse you are being.

"Wrinkles?" Pretty clear who the f$&King pedestrian is here. The only thing you're qualified to discuss regarding wrinkles are be ones between your chin & moobs. Wait, those are chins, my bad. Perverse is a privilege, and an obligation if you're going to ride for the brand. Highly likely you've never played the game, let alone watched any of it.

Can we get back to the subject of this thread, please? My not your regular favorite has to be Matt Steinau. I remember him having like 24 tackles against Eastern Illinois and returned a fumble for a TD in that game.

From that superficial response I can only assume that you are a microthagnic waddler, tremble-chin hobbler or weak chinned gimp, and do not reach even the lowest levels of pedestrianarianismic excellence. And even this much credit requires me to sugar coat my characterization. You, chinless wretch, have never rode for the brand … unless it’s for Depends. Even the newest and least experienced of my chins puts your single, one toothed monkey mandible to shame.

Great article on Stein, certainly one of the most interesting guys we've had here. Sensational as those Swarthout triple option offenses seemed at the time, with guys like Stein and Miller, his defenses were even better.

Where is UMclassof 2002 ???

His smack posts towards the Bozeman state aggies are the greatest.

I laugh thinking about his Cat-Griz animosity posts and comment about throwing ziplock bags of urine.

UMclassof2002 said:
Big Willie Style

Derek Aspinwall

Smokin' Stephen Shaw

SSS_zps9d3369f5.jpg

I must add Dante Olson to my list. Not sure I have watched a more pure linebacker play here (maybe Crebo). With that said, I would give up all of my carnal vices to have Jamal Wilson back just one more time...

Brody McKnight - Very good kicker, but one of the toughest SOBs you have ever met. He really loved to get in on the hits and deal some punishment. You have to respect a kicker with that kind of attitude.

Latest posts

Back