• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Conf Tourney Format

Well, this article from Frank Gogola sums it up - I'm not sure after reading all this how the conference will be able to make it more complicated than it already is. *Note* it probably isn't, but it sure as hell looks that way when seeing everything written down.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-...cle_4796b01a-f945-5d19-bc1c-59a6c7c5891a.html

Snippet from the article:

Here’s the daily breakdown of the bracket’s new format.

Monday, March 11: Three women’s first-round games.

Tuesday, March 12: Four women’s quarterfinal games.

Wednesday, March 13: Three men’s first-round games, and two women’s semifinal games afterward.

Thursday, March 14: Four men’s quarterfinal games.

Friday, March 15: Women’s championship game, and two men’s semifinal games afterward.

Saturday, March 16: Men’s championship game.

Zirg said:
Only the Big Sky would reward 2 cities (Reno and Boise) that bailed from the conference with the tourney. Maybe the next Commissioner will have a better clue to what the league wants. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Andrea!

I think she's pretty content leaving :lol: :lol: :lol:

griznative24 said:
Zirg said:
Only the Big Sky would reward 2 cities (Reno and Boise) that bailed from the conference with the tourney. Maybe the next Commissioner will have a better clue to what the league wants. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Andrea!

This. She'll remember her time in Ogden much like Solzhenitsyn remembered his days in the gulag.

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
And yes regular season champ SHOULD HOST!

+1

+1000

Honest question here...How many conferences have the winning team host the tourney? None of Conferences in the west do, and most of the ones in the East don't either.

Second: The reason they did away with the Tourney being in the winning teams gym is in case a team like Portland state of Sac State won it...They have gyms the size of high School gyms (or did when they started this neutral site thing)

So schools with real gyms get penalized... There are real gyms in Portland and Sacramento could host that isn't a tin can.

As far as hosting, the BS conference used to do it.

I was reading the Weber St forum today and a poster named "PurpleBlood" came up with an idea that I like.....he posted... "I have a crazy idea that would reward the regular season winners and get people talking. The coaches get to pick who they play before each round. The higher seeds picks first. Does anyone know if this has ever happened in sports?"....This idea is not crazy and it doesn't effect anyone financially at all....it would bring a ton of press coverage for the BSC nationally and may quiet some of the naysayers to an extent....I think some sort of grassroots campaign towards the BSC officials could get this implimented by next March....nothing that each school has to do is any different as far as travel, cost and so on....Think of the possibilities...higher seed may not want to wait until later in tourney to meet the more competitive teams, catch them when your fresh and then use your depth against lesser seeded teams later....This could work....

Paytonlives said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

+1000

Honest question here...How many conferences have the winning team host the tourney? None of Conferences in the west do, and most of the ones in the East don't either.

Second: The reason they did away with the Tourney being in the winning teams gym is in case a team like Portland state of Sac State won it...They have gyms the size of high School gyms (or did when they started this neutral site thing)

So schools with real gyms get penalized... There are real gyms in Portland and Sacramento could host that isn't a tin can.

I agree with you, I am just saying that was one of the reasons they did it this way...

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
Paytonlives said:
And yes regular season champ SHOULD HOST!

+1

+1000

Honest answer here....for the ten millionth time, the reasons the BSC went to a neutral site are....Number 1 is to allow teams to arrange transportation and hotels for their teams far in advance therefore saving considerable amounts of money and allowing families of players to make arrangements in advance too (try to get a flight into Missoula or Bozeman for 25 or more people and a decent hotel room for the same on 2 days notice in March).....Number 2 is the Idaho State womens team had to take a 17 hr bus ride to get to Grand Forks for the tourney in 2014.....BTW, when Sac St. came close to hosting the tournament they had started to build a 4000 seat temporary court in their wellness center with the Sacramento Kings loaning a portable court to use over the top of the courts in the wellness center.....This old story that the league went to the neutral site because of Portland or Sac is a rumor that never dies because of posts like yours....I know you probably didn't know the truth but here it is.....The difficulty and cost of travel on short notice to most BSC cities is exorbitant as well as finding good hotel rooms for all the teams involved in some of these smaller cities is practically impossible....I know for a fact that Sac St had to fly from Sac to LA to Vegas to SLC ON SEPERATE FLIGHTS to get to the tournament at Weber.... and Sac and Weber are far more accessible than many of BSC schools....

griznative24 said:
Zirg said:

No arguing that. Not sure why you are laughing so hard unless you are her husband that will reap her raise personally.

Paytonlives said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

+1000

And even if it's in a PSU or a Sac St high school gym, so be it. If you win the conference regular season, you deserve your home-court advantage. There will be just as many fans (as Reno or Boise), and a packed rabid atmosphere, in either of those "worst-case scenario locations".

sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
'68griz said:

+1000

Honest answer here....for the ten millionth time, the reasons the BSC went to a neutral site are....Number 1 is to allow teams to arrange transportation and hotels for their teams far in advance therefore saving considerable amounts of money and allowing families of players to make arrangements in advance too (try to get a flight into Missoula or Bozeman for 25 or more people and a decent hotel room for the same on 2 days notice in March).....Number 2 is the Idaho State womens team had to take a 17 hr bus ride to get to Grand Forks for the tourney in 2014.....BTW, when Sac St. came close to hosting the tournament they had started to build a 4000 seat temporary court in their wellness center with the Sacramento Kings loaning a portable court to use over the top of the courts in the wellness center.....This old story that the league went to the neutral site because of Portland or Sac is a rumor that never dies because of posts like yours....I know you probably didn't know the truth but here it is.....The difficulty and cost of travel on short notice to most BSC cities is exorbitant as well as finding good hotel rooms for all the teams involved in some of these smaller cities is practically impossible....I know for a fact that Sac St had to fly from Sac to LA to Vegas to SLC ON SEPERATE FLIGHTS to get to the tournament at Weber.... and Sac and Weber are far more accessible than many of BSC schools....

Nope.

SACCAT66 said:
sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nope.

Sounds like you must have missed your nap.....

sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:
sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:

Nope.

Nope...Feel very refreshed. You are just wrong.

SACCAT66 said:
sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:
sacstateman said:

Nope.

Ignorance is no excuse...sorry you have no knowledge of the situation and I guess you can't learn either so.....Goodnight....

sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:
sacstateman said:
SACCAT66 said:

Ignorance is no excuse...sorry you have no knowledge of the situation and I guess you can't learn either so.....Goodnight....

Worked at a sports radio station in Sacramento, and we covered it. We were told by very good sources that what I said was one of the reasons. It's cool... Why are you going to bed so soon...Did you miss your nap?

The new "interim Commissioner" is Ron Loghry, who has been involved in the conference for 23 years. Former Missoulian sports reporter Jon Kasper was promoted to "Associate Commissioner of Championships", which needs more explanation personally but may indicate he will be involved in future host site decisions. Both (internal) promotions seem like positive steps in that they are both Big Sky guys that I have confidence in to make decisions in the best interest of the conference, and not interested in padding their resumes.

Back