• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New BSC football member in 2016?

mtgrizrule said:
It could force North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana to support only 1 division 1 football program for each of those states, if those states want to compete at the highest level of college football.
Montana would support two DII programs long before it would focus D1 support on just one. Or 5 NAIA...... Fanbase aside, there has never been an indication among decision makers of wanting "to compete at the highest level of college football."

MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
As for Montana, I feel it would make sense to build stronger relationships in the midwest, such as the Dakota schools and Northern Iowa. Those schools/programs will likely be in the same boat as this all plays out.
I've never figured out why we wouldn't have a home and home with UNI.

Wasn't UNI talking about dropping football as recently as two years ago? Why on Earth would we hitch our wagon to that donkey?
Having a home and home with a perennial FCS power would be hitching "our wagon to that donkey?"

kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
As for Montana, I feel it would make sense to build stronger relationships in the midwest, such as the Dakota schools and Northern Iowa. Those schools/programs will likely be in the same boat as this all plays out.

Wasn't UNI talking about dropping football as recently as two years ago? Why on Earth would we hitch our wagon to that donkey?
Having a home and home with a perennial FCS power would be hitching "our wagon to that donkey?"

As opposed to having our wagon hitched along with a few of the current BSC schools? I will take UNI over the majority of the Big Sky Conference. It would be great to have a home and home with them.

UNI is a consistent top 25 FCS program. Just because they were considering dropping football does not mean they are bad. Hell, maybe they were one of few the schools facing the reality how expensive it can be to be competitive in DIV 1 football to even somewhat compete with the power 5 elite programs.

mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:

As opposed to having our wagon hitched along with a few of the current BSC schools? I will take UNI over the majority of the Big Sky Conference. It would be great to have a home and home with them.

UNI is a consistent top 25 FCS program. Just because they were considering dropping football does not mean they are bad. Hell, maybe they were one of few the schools facing the reality how expensive it can be to be competitive in DIV 1 football to even somewhat compete with the power 5 elite programs.
I totally understand the potential link with a top tier team like UNI ...BUT Montana has absolutely no relationship/connection with Midwest teams, so I'm not sure how most fans (including me) would feel about an alignment with a team they've never seen in person and very probably never would. I would much prefer that, in whatever way would be possible, that the Griz remain in the Rocky Mountain/west region.

25,000 Griz fans saw the Griz play Northern Iowa in 2011. 19,000 saw them in 2004. The Griz have a playoff rivalry with Northern Iowa. But people saying the Griz only play non-conference games against Western and Big Sky opponents, are you nutts?????? The Griz played NDSU last year and host them this coming season. You know, the four-time defending national champions???? In 2016 the Griz begin a home-and-home with McNeese State. In 2012 and 2013 the Griz played a home-and-home against Appalachian State. Where the heck were you guys???????????

kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:

An FCS power that constantly goes back and forth between having football and not. I'm fine with it, but they don't seem like a very stable partner.

MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:
kemajic said:

An FCS power that constantly goes back and forth between having football and not. I'm fine with it, but they don't seem like a very stable partner.
You're paying too much attention to talk designed to solicit increased booster financial support. With the exception of '43 and '44, they have had football every year since 1895; always will. Portland St. is more likely to drop FB than UNI.

'68griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:
MrTitleist said:

I totally understand the potential link with a top tier team like UNI ...BUT Montana has absolutely no relationship/connection with Midwest teams, so I'm not sure how most fans (including me) would feel about an alignment with a team they've never seen in person and very probably never would. I would much prefer that, in whatever way would be possible, that the Griz remain in the Rocky Mountain/west region.
I see, you'd rather have more OOC games with Ft. Lewis, Western St., and Dixie St because of our "relationships" with them. We already play every conceivable FCS team in the West so you would rather see the above repeated for OOC games rather than a UNI, which is even closer to most of MT than those DIIs, hardly more Midwest than BSC member UND. Heaven forbid we would have such boring home and homes with Appy, NDSU or McNeese. Let's dig up some more DII patsies, just because they are in the Rocky Mountain/West region and rely solely on FCS playoffs to establish how nationally competitive we are. And ignore fans and alumni unless they live in the Rocky Mountain/West region. Poppycock!

And since when does signing a single home and home constitute "an alignment?"

kemajic said:
'68griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:

I see, you'd rather have more OOC games with Ft. Lewis, Western St., and Dixie St because of our "relationships" with them. We already play every conceivable FCS team in the West so you would rather see the above repeated for OOC games rather than a UNI, which is even closer to most of MT than those DIIs, hardly more Midwest than BSC member UND. Heaven forbid we would have such boring home and homes with Appy, NDSU or McNeese. Let's dig up some more DII patsies, just because they are in the Rocky Mountain/West region and rely solely on FCS playoffs to establish how nationally competitive we are. And ignore fans and alumni unless they live in the Rocky Mountain/West region. Poppycock!

This program isn't going to return to prominence, and that means playing for national championships, unless it's willing to seek out the best teams to play. Playing half the BSC most years is like playing Ft. Lewis, et.al.

Recruiting will be enhanced by a competitive schedule. Once you get truly competitive on the field, fund raising gets easier, which makes opportunities to expand & improve the facilities reality. And face it, it will be a hell of a lot more satisfying to beat teams like NDSU & SHSU, than Little Bros of the Poor State. MSU is little sisters of the poor, before you go there by the way.

Think beyond Missoula.

I don't see anything wrong with playing selected schools in the Midwest. However, in my view, Montana should be in a conference with schools like Wyoming, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, BYU. The current conference of misfits with high school stadiums and field houses and small fan bases has served the purpose for our school and it is time to join a credible conference. Further, I see no reason to wait for Montana State if they aren't prepared to move.

bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
'68griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This program isn't going to return to prominence, and that means playing for national championships, unless it's willing to seek out the best teams to play. Playing half the BSC most years is like playing Ft. Lewis, et.al.

Recruiting will be enhanced by a competitive schedule. Once you get truly competitive on the field, fund raising gets easier, which makes opportunities to expand & improve the facilities reality. And face it, it will be a hell of a lot more satisfying to beat teams like NDSU & SHSU, than Little Bros of the Poor State. MSU is little sisters of the poor, before you go there by the way.

Think beyond Missoula.

OK++++++Enhanced? A brilliant word meaning good- better- best? Not a bad piece for a large dog! I keep trying to run with the bigs...

Umista said:
bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
'68griz said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think beyond Missoula.

OK++++++Enhanced? A brilliant word meaning good- better- best? Not a bad piece for a large dog! I keep trying to run with the bigs...

And I'm trying to figure out how to live like you. Two girls in college so that's not happening any time soon. So for now, am just going to stop where I'm @, @ 9:30 every Friday morning, break open a bottle of Scotch, and toast to the day I'll be able to run with you.

Am thinking about changing my screen name, ala BW to Perro Grande. The only ambivalence on my part here is assuming I'd need to give up Scotch for tequila. Margs would be ok though. Oh Fvgk. Am back to stream of consciousness. Where are those dam pills? Would CDA know?

I don't understand anyone who maligns our schedules. We seriously have had like the best OOC arrangements in all of of FCS this decade...

NDSU, App State, Liberty, McNeese, etc, plus whatever gets lined up for 2018-2019. Hell even the USD deal deserves kudos as they would of been a contender in any other conference.

Brock Landers said:
I don't understand anyone who maligns our schedules. We seriously have had like the best OOC arrangements in all of of FCS this decade...

NDSU, App State, Liberty, McNeese, etc, plus whatever gets lined up for 2018-2019. Hell even the USD deal deserves kudos as they would of been a contender in any other conference.

You may want to acquaint yourself with NDSU's schedule this decade, wait...

Our OOC scheduling has improved in recent years. Some of you wonder why there are those that think Montana is a Division2 program, including basketball. I would suggest that the primary reason is the Big Sky Conference and the member schools. Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Portland State are thought of as Division2. Then when we play powerhouses like Ft. Lewis, Western State of whatever, the image is magnified.

bgbigdog said:
Brock Landers said:

You may want to acquaint yourself with NDSU's schedule this decade, wait...
A bunch of Big Sky teams, Western Carolina, Delaware State, Morgan State, and so forth. Umm, yeah I'll take our FCS opponents...

...oh, can't forget Incarnate Word.

Really I can only assume you're referring to the FBS body bag games they played (and won, something only they would of accomplished).

Body bag? Five consecutive wins against FCS teams. Actually talking about their MVC schedule. The MVC are the bigfoots of the FCS until someone knocks them off. :coffee:

Hence why I said OOC... our conference layout is outside of our control. It wasn't us that blocked NDSU from joining. And it's not our fault that Idaho State has been a disgrace.

Back