• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU Thread

My take on why we loose games is pace and rhythm!!!! What people don't understand is that anyone can go go for 20 on any given night but how it happens makes or breaks us and these players do not get it. There is maybe 1 or 2 players that actual play the right way everyone else plays lime there in high-school or at the park and that doesn't work. Our PG guards do not have the feel they need to be effective, they do not see the entire floor as the keep missing open shooters and turn the ball over more times then not when attacking the paint, they dribble way too much and their shot selection is horrible. Their job is to keep everyone involved and for things to flow not get yours and when the team needs a bucket p t at that someone that hasn't shot the ball in 13 minutes can come thru, not a good recipe. Our bigs get out rebounded when it counts and play way to soft and out defense is not great other teams just have not shot well from deep. Look at how many times we give up open 3's and guys are out of position, if you score 10 and give up 15 or score 15 and give up 20 we loose. How many of our guys actually win their match up???? Coaching needs to make sure everyone stays involved and when players go for theirs sit their asses down. When teams go on dry stretches for 7, 9 13 minutes at a time in multiple games ( all loses) thats coaching anyway you look at it. Our PG's can't continue to have 3 or 4 assists and think we can win, our guys need rhythm and watching them dribble around and then take shots themselves or continously miss open guys is why wy go dry. Coaches need to fix that!!!!!!!

tourist said:
fanofzoo said:
Remember the "man" from Turkey (?) who said before the season started "I like to dunk the ball".
He didn't last long but I sure did like that statement.
Who was that ?

Recep Tayyipikayokiyay Erdogan, distant relation to Turkeys prez.

no sh*t

Pure shit. Just having fun with his middle name ,Tiyyip. Yipi-kiyo-kiya came to mind. I put them together. Too subtle, sorry.
Don't remember the players name, though.

grizindabox said:
dayday said:
He’s playing at out of position at the 4. He’s a high energy 5.

Griz do need to mix up this lineup. I’ve liked the Owens, DCH, Parker, Whitney, and Vasquez small ball line up

Bannon is most definitely a 4 and not a 5.

He’s 6’9” with little ball handling and no outside shot. Barely has a mid-range game. But he does bring energy, hustle and good lateral movement on switches. I’m sorry that is not a 4 in modern basketball especially in the big sky conference. He’s a post, a 5 or a center. Call it what you like.

My point is that Coach should go exclusively small to try to create offense since it has been a HUGE struggle. DCH at 6’5” plays bigger than he is.

dayday said:
grizindabox said:
Bannon is most definitely a 4 and not a 5.

He’s 6’9” with little ball handling and no outside shot. Barely has a mid-range game. But he does bring energy, hustle and good lateral movement on switches. I’m sorry that is not a 4 in modern basketball especially in the big sky conference. He’s a post, a 5 or a center. Call it what you like.

My point is that Coach should go exclusively small to try to create offense since it has been a HUGE struggle. DCH at 6’5” plays bigger than he is.

I have no issue with playing DCH over Bannon, but I see Bannon more 4 than 5 in the long-term. He is a project and needs to work on the items of note.

I don't see Bannan as a 5 at all. He's something other than that. I think he's a pretty good ball handler and that he has a pretty nice touch (so, far not from 3). Without his 3-23 shooting from 3, his shooting is 37-74, or 50%. Those shots aren't all under the hoop, and include many jumpers. He's 3d on team in rebounds, but 2d in both O and D rebounds. 4th in assists, behinds 3 guards. 3d in TO. He's shooting 84% from the line.

He can drive, and drive and dish. He's a good passer. He has a very good knowledge of the game too. I like his play, and he has good upside to improve.

PlayerRep said:
I don't see Bannan as a 5 at all. He's something other than that. I think he's a pretty good ball handler and that he has a pretty nice touch (so, far not from 3). Without his 3-23 shooting from 3, his shooting is 37-74, or 50%. Those shots aren't all under the hoop, and include many jumpers. He's 3d on team in rebounds, but 2d in both O and D rebounds. 4th in assists, behinds 3 guards. 3d in TO. He's shooting 84% from the line.

He can drive, and drive and dish. He's a good passer. He has a very good knowledge of the game too. I like his play, and he has good upside to improve.

In D-1 games he is:

At the rim 12/19 (62.2%)
Other 2pt shots 8/33 (24.2%)
Total. 2pt shots. 20/52 (38.4%)

I personally think he is a 4, but could play a 5 in certain match-ups. I am not worried about his shooting. His FT% tells me he is capable of being a very shooter. He is struggling a little but I still love his upside.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

In D-1 games he is:

At the rim 12/19 (62.2%)

I personally think he is a 4, but could play a 5 in certain match-ups. I am not worried about his shooting. His FT% tells me he is capable of being a very shooter. He is struggling a little but I still love his upside.

Interesting, but sort of cherry-picking. You eliminated all games where he shot over 50%, or 17-26. I see that he was 0-4 from 3 in non-D-I games. My view is that outside shooting is not influenced as much by quality of the opponent, as much as under the basket shooting. My total 2-pt shots in D-I didn't match yours, but I'm not guaranteeing mine.

PlayerRep said:
GrizBall said:
In D-1 games he is:

At the rim 12/19 (62.2%)

Interesting, but sort of cherry-picking. You eliminated all games where he shot over 50%, or 17-26. I see that he was 0-4 from 3 in non-D-I games. My view is that outside shooting is not influenced as much by quality of the opponent, as much as under the basket shooting. My total 2-pt shots in D-I didn't match yours, but I'm not guaranteeing mine.

I originally didn't do the math myself, but two different websites had him at 20/52 in D-1 games. I just went back and did the math and got the same result:

NAU #2 (0-4)
NAU #1(1-3)
UNC #2 (5-14)
UNC #1 (2-5)
Ariz (2-3)
UW (3-6)
Georgia (0-2)
SUU #2 (2-4)
SUU #1 (1-1)
USC (4-10)

It may depend on how you counted. It is my understanding that 3Pt shots are counted in the overall FG line. For example, if you look at Bannan's FG line against Yellowstone it reads 8-10. But in this game he was 8-8 from 2 and 0-2 from 3pt

I agree with you regarding how the level of competition impacts percentages based on where you are shooting.

Also, it was not my intention to cherry-pick. Most sites that specialize in advanced stats don't include non-D1 games. I also believe there is not much value in non-D1 stats. The only place I could find his At the Rim and other 2Pt shots doesn't include non-D1 stats so I had to take what they offered.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

I originally didn't do the math myself, but two different websites had him at 20/52 in D-1 games. I just went back and did the math and got the same result:

NAU #2 (0-4)
NAU #1(1-3)
UNC #2 (5-14)
UNC #1 (2-5)
Ariz (2-3)
UW (3-6)
Georgia (0-2)
SUU #2 (2-4)
SUU #1 (1-1)
USC (4-10)

It may depend on how you counted. It is my understanding that 3Pt shots are counted in the overall FG line. For example, if you look at Bannan's FG line against Yellowstone it reads 8-10. But in this game he was 8-8 from 2 and 0-2 from 3pt

I agree with you regarding how the level of competition impacts percentages based on where you are shooting.

Also, it was not my intention to cherry-pick. Most sites that specialize in advanced stats don't include non-D1 games. I also believe there is not much value in non-D1 stats. The only place I could find his At the Rim and other 2Pt shots doesn't include non-D1 stats so I had to take what they offered.

Your stats look right. Thx.

grizindabox said:
dayday said:

I have no issue with playing DCH over Bannon, but I see Bannon more 4 than 5 in the long-term. He is a project and needs to work on the items of note.

Yeah definitely has good potential. I like his game. Shooting definitely needs to improve with him and you would think it would. I like him as a 5 more right now especially in the big sky. I think we could get more production maybe going smaller with 3 guards but I think everyone has made solid points.

Back