• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAU Thread

4:43 to go. Griz haven’t scored a single point since 13:01 left. Unreal. Lead down to 13 now.

To put this in perspective, coming into this game, NAU's defense was ranked 354th out of 357 D-1 teams defensively. And that was with their full team. They were missing two starters. We scored 67 points which included FTs on intentional fouls at the end.

watching UM blow a commanding lead, once again, I am beginning to wonder if the coach is "over rotating" his players. They just seem to lose cohesion and fluidity as the game goes on and players are constantly moving in and out. But, a win is a win, I guess, and style points don't count.

That was an absolutely disgraceful second half. 10 straight minutes without a single point???? I give NAU some credit though, they switched to a double team on the block and started guarding us really tight on the perimeter which forced us into a lot of late shot clock desperation shots, but Jesus Christ NAU is awful. This game should not have been as close as it was. Meanwhile I’m sitting here watching eastern and SUU on SWX and I can tell you this, we’re gonna get destroyed by Eastern. 26 days since their last game and they haven’t skipped a beat. I think this team is in for a very long season. Glad we got a double digit win tonight, but that was an AWFUL second half!

GrizLA said:
watching UM blow a commanding lead, once again, I am beginning to wonder if the coach is "over rotating" his players. They just seem to lose cohesion and fluidity as the game goes on and players are constantly moving in and out. But, a win is a win, I guess, and style points don't count.

I would disagree with this somewhat. Just eyeballing the play-by-play, the non-starter minutes in the 2nd half when it all went south seemed to be:

Beasley 8
Parker 6
Egun 3
DCH 2

Not sure how much less you can play a bench. I guess you could argue it could be cut down to an 8 man rotation (possibly 7), but I still don't think this was the issue and the droughts have been a season long problem.

GrizBall said:
GrizLA said:

I would disagree with this somewhat. Just eyeballing the play-by-play, the non-starter minutes in the 2nd half when it all went south seemed to be:

Beasley 8
Parker 6
Egun 3
DCH 2

Not sure how much less you can play a bench. I guess you could argue it could be cut down to an 8 man rotation (possibly 7), but I still don't think this was the issue and the droughts have been a season long problem.
The stats here are irrelevant. UM just seems not to keep their heads in the game as it plays out. This game was not as close as the score indicates but UM couldn't score for long periods of time while giving up points. This is the story of this team. It has already been mentioned that EWU is looking far more dominant this year but I would add Mont.State to that. Belo is going to have a field day against UM. This conference is really something even though it isn't very competitive with the majors. Certainly is capable of excitement. So, who is the conference leader? Could be, any one of 4.

GrizLA said:
GrizBall said:

Beasley 8
Parker 6
Egun 3
DCH 2

The stats here are irrelevant. UM just seems not to keep their heads in the game as it plays out. This game was not as close as the score indicates but UM couldn't score for long periods of time while giving up points. This is the story of this team. It has already been mentioned that EWU is looking far more dominant this year but I would add Mont.State to that. Belo is going to have a field day against UM. This conference is really something even though it isn't very competitive with the majors. Certainly is capable of excitement. So, who is the conference leader? Could be, any one of 4.
I’m calling it right now. We get swept by the cats. I sincerely hope I’m wrong but Bishop and Belo are gonna rip us to shreds if we continue to look this awful offensively.

Decuire was pissed in the post game show and he should be. He be said this team got up huge and started looking at the scoreboard and wanted to pad their stats and that’s when the game turned on us.

Griz til I die said:
GrizLA said:
I’m calling it right now. We get swept by the cats. I sincerely hope I’m wrong but Bishop and Belo are gonna rip us to shreds if we continue to look this awful offensively.
Vasquez and Owens and Whitley might change that but this is a Griz team that is very very young and not inspiring a lot of confidence. Saturday's game might be a better indicator. Hard to sweep a team even if it a home game, this year.

GrizLA said:
GrizBall said:

Beasley 8
Parker 6
Egun 3
DCH 2

I read your initial assertion as “over rotation” was the issue. I responded with numbers that showed the 2nd half where the problems arose there were relatively very little substitutions so I believe that was a relevant response to your assertion supported with playing time stats.

Your 2nd response was one of focus. I agree with this.

Griz til I die said:
Decuire was pissed in the post game show and he should be. He be said this team got up huge and started looking at the scoreboard and wanted to pad their stats and that’s when the game turned on us.

I'd be seriously annoyed to. There are a number of reasons, but here is my coaches view on it. Chalk it up to reason 2,793 why the flex or flex type offenses drive me batty. Like all motion offenses, the first good shot isn't always the best shot. That might drive analytics and metrics guys nuts, but if you are running a pattern you should pretty much run the damn pattern. If I have time this weekend, maybe I'll pen a blog with some graphics (no charts and tables) to explain this, but it is my opinion that the flex scheme is so easy for players to short cut. Especially when they start hunting to get the ball in their hands more often. This is especially true for the wing players who very commonly can find themselves in passive non-scoring positions when the pattern is first initiated. So they force the action by compressing spacing, dribble initiate when they should pass, or cheat a pick to be the guy who can get the first touch to try to score.

In the first half they benefited from some higher than average luck (think Steadmans 3), and some legitimate attentiveness to letting the pattern run. In the second, I stopped watching after about the 10 minute mark, but it was characterized by a lack of patience or personnel mucking up spacing because they wanted the ball in their hands from the minute the second half started.

There are other reasons why obviously, but I do think it speaks to maturity a bit and an attentiveness to detail. I think running a motion offense like the flex has enormous benefits when you don't have a dedicated go-to scorer, but you do have to commit to running them. That is just what I observed last night in the second half. not saying I am perfectly right, but it was the sense that I got.

-GF24

GrizLA said:
GrizBall said:

Beasley 8
Parker 6
Egun 3
DCH 2

Way, WAY too many 3-point attempts from non-3-point shooters (Bannan!) during that stretch....we chucked up something like 8 straight 3-point attempts (and missed them all, I believe)...there might have been one missed bunny by Steadman during that cold period, but it was just abysmal basketball to watch. Lazy is the best word I can use to describe it.

Let’s just net this whole game out;
Did the Griz win? Yes
Did they play out of their ass in first half? Yes
Did they stink up the room for 10-14 minutes in half 2? Yes
Are they still finding their way? Yes
Is Travis the best or one of the best young coaches in college basketball? Yes. Look at his body of work
Was I frustrated with the 2nd half performance? Yes

Patience children patience

Sport said:
Did the Griz win? Yes
Is Travis the best or one of the best young coaches in college basketball? Yes. Look at his body of work

Agree 100% with Sport's take on this. I took a second look at the game and saw a NAU matchup zone (I think) that kept the Griz out of the paint and dared them to shoot from the perimeter. As a result, Montana was held to a mere 18 points in the paint (compared to NAU's 24). Open Griz shooters responded by making 6-9 treys in the first half, hence the 20-pt lead. NAU stuck with its D, and the open looks continued in the second half, but with Montana making only 2-11 (18%) on largely open looks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same strategy on D from NAU on Saturday. The Griz have capable perimeter shooters beyond Vazquez and I frankly believe Montana's going to have to knock down the open looks they're given. Otherwise, every Big Sky opponent will double or triple team Steadman, Owens and Bannan inside the key and dare them to beat them from the rim.

grizzlyjournal said:
Sport said:
Did the Griz win? Yes

Agree 100% with Sport's take on this. I took a second look at the game and saw a NAU matchup zone (I think) that kept the Griz out of the paint and dared them to shoot from the perimeter. As a result, Montana was held to a mere 18 points in the paint (compared to NAU's 24). Open Griz shooters responded by making 6-9 treys in the first half, hence the 20-pt lead. NAU stuck with its D, and the open looks continued in the second half, but with Montana making only 2-11 (18%) on largely open looks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same strategy on D from NAU on Saturday. The Griz have capable perimeter shooters beyond Vazquez and I frankly believe Montana's going to have to knock down the open looks they're given. Otherwise, every Big Sky opponent will double or triple team Steadman, Owens and Bannan inside the key and dare them to beat them from the rim.

NAU basically dared Bannan to make threes and he couldn’t. They’d leave him wide open beyond the arc at the expense of guarding the other four closely. Got one early, thought he was Vasquez, and didn’t make another....his three misses came in the midst of SEVEN consecutive missed threes in that scoreless span. I get he supposedly is a shooter in practice, but at this point (12 games) it has NOT translated to games and I think he just needs to let the shooters shoot.

Back