• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Native American - Native Montanan?

goatcreekgriz said:
Dillon said:
CFallsGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Dave McNally is in front of most of these guys. Maybe Pat Donovan is ahead of him. Maybe.

I think Donovan beats him by a nose.

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but this is a great read/watch. Especially if you're from Helena...

https://www.montanasports.com/sunday-conversation/2019/01/27/sunday-conversation-pat-donovan-turned-small-town-dreams-to-super-bowl-ring/

Well I happen to be from Helena & in fact I happened to be on the 880 yard relay team that won in 1971 & Pat was always a humble kind of guy like saying the other 3 guys on the relay team were really fast but I will never forget what he said as a tribute to Ron Banks when he passed away. He said something like this. Out of all the players he was associated with at both Stanford & w/the Dallas Cowboys he never saw anyone stronger than Rob Banks & he was not exaggerating in what he said. By the way Ron Banks played with him at Helena High. I also may have been a little biased when picking Donovan as my #1.

Well, I never met Pat so I will defer. I was a Cowboys fan as a kid and thought it was cool he played so well on their OL.

McNally was obviously older. But having 4 straight 20 win seasons as a MLB pitcher is quite an accomplishment. And I think he is still the only pitcher to hit a grand slam in a World Series game. McNally is solid at No. 2.

Since hometown bias has crept in a bit, I think Marc Mariani belongs on the list ahead of Ryan Leaf. His performance (on the field and on the sideline for the rest of the team) in the 2009 playoff comeback against SDSU was epic and he had a better NFL career (Mariani made the Pro Bowl).

So that’s my pitch for the Havre kid.

Don't think much of Ryan Leaf it seems.

goatcreekgriz said:
Dillon said:
CFallsGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Dave McNally is in front of most of these guys. Maybe Pat Donovan is ahead of him. Maybe.

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but this is a great read/watch. Especially if you're from Helena...

https://www.montanasports.com/sunday-conversation/2019/01/27/sunday-conversation-pat-donovan-turned-small-town-dreams-to-super-bowl-ring/

Well I happen to be from Helena & in fact I happened to be on the 880 yard relay team that won in 1971 & Pat was always a humble kind of guy like saying the other 3 guys on the relay team were really fast but I will never forget what he said as a tribute to Ron Banks when he passed away. He said something like this. Out of all the players he was associated with at both Stanford & w/the Dallas Cowboys he never saw anyone stronger than Rob Banks & he was not exaggerating in what he said. By the way Ron Banks played with him at Helena High. I also may have been a little biased when picking Donovan as my #1.

Well, I never met Pat so I will defer. I was a Cowboys fan as a kid and thought it was cool he played so well on their OL.

McNally was obviously older. But having 4 straight 20 win seasons as a MLB pitcher is quite an accomplishment. And I think he is still the only pitcher to hit a grand slam in a World Series game. McNally is solid at No. 2.

Since hometown bias has crept in a bit, I think Marc Mariani belongs on the list ahead of Ryan Leaf. His performance (on the field and on the sideline for the rest of the team) in the 2009 playoff comeback against SDSU was epic and he had a better NFL career (Mariani made the Pro Bowl).

Well lets recap both Leaf's career & Mariani's - Leaf lost in the Rose Bowl in FBS & Mariani lost in the Championship game in FCS. Mariani played special teams & got hurt in the NFL & Leaf did not accomplish much there except a HUGE paycheck. So take your pick on who won I guess!

Just off the top of my head of MT athletes who have made impacts on their sports on a national or international level;

Alice Ritzman from Kalispell

Wild Hill Kelly from Missoula

Mike Lewis from Missoula

Mike Tilleman from Chinook

Milt Popovich from Butts

Tim Hauck from Big Timber

Eric Bergoust from Missoula

I'm sure there are others I can't recall right away.

HelenaHandBasket said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Dillon said:
CFallsGriz said:

Don't think much of Ryan Leaf it seems.
I dunno. The OP had him at No. 6, just think that’s too high. Seems like Leaf is finally getting his life together as a human being, which is good.

Back