• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Native American - Native Montanan?

SoldierGriz said:
Bill Zadick - NCAA and World Wrestling Champion...

...best in THE WORLD.

Yep National Champion at Iowa under Dan Gable, then won Gold at World's in freestyle after that. Coaches for Team USA in the Olympics now.

Jill Barta. Incredible athlete. Dominant basketball player and nobody comes close to her physical abilities or skills that I have seen. Not even close.

..born in Jordan Montana Hall of Frame Jerry Kramer played for the Packers..offensive guard
and place holder..consider one of the greats when Packers ruled the roust with Bartt Starr and
famous coach Vince Lombardi..had a son named Jordan name after Jordan Montana..consider
one of the best pulling guard … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Kramer

..born in Jordan Montana Hall of Frame Jerry Kramer played for the Packers..offensive guard
and place holder..consider one of the greats when Packers ruled the roust with Bartt Starr and
famous coach Vince Lombardi..had a son named Jordan name after Jordan Montana..consider
one of the best pulling guard … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Kramer

Don't forget our own Shannon Schweyen (Cate)

Shannon Cate; Billings, Montana; Women’s Basketball 1988-1992
Only UM Women’s Basketball player to have number (21) retired
Completed four-year UM career in 1992 with 14 school records and 9 Big Sky Conference records
League’s first ever Division I Kodak All-American in 1992
Naismith Player of the Year finalist and Wade Trophy nominee
Ended her career as Big Sky Conference’s all-time leading rebounder in 1992
Ranked in top 10 at UM and in Big Sky conference in six statistical categories
Three-time District VII Kodak All-American and Big Sky Conference Tournament Most Valuable Player, two-time regular season Big Sky and UM Most Valuable Player
Had career high of 41 points, 19 rebounds, and 11 assists, all UM records in 1992
Received Montana AAU Little Sullivan Award in 1991
Began as UM assistant Lady Griz coach in 1992

Ummmm, based on UM bias and considering this site includes “Griz” in it’s name, I think Kroy Biermann must be listed above Ryan Leaf.

kemajic said:
Kramer was as good as they come. NFL HOF. I once got to hit against McNally in Legion ball; it was not a treat. I would add Dwan Edwards to the list. 2nd round draftee, 12 years in the NFL.
I never faced McNally but I did play hoops against Dwan in the Absarokee 3 on 3 tournament when he was in 8th grade (and I was 31 or 32). Dwan was darn good then — and refused to lose. Also needs to be in front of Ryan Leaf.

goatcreekgriz said:
Dave McNally is in front of most of these guys. Maybe Pat Donovan is ahead of him. Maybe.

I think Donovan beats him by a nose.

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but this is a great read/watch. Especially if you're from Helena...

https://www.montanasports.com/sunday-conversation/2019/01/27/sunday-conversation-pat-donovan-turned-small-town-dreams-to-super-bowl-ring/

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:
Kramer was as good as they come. NFL HOF. I once got to hit against McNally in Legion ball; it was not a treat. I would add Dwan Edwards to the list. 2nd round draftee, 12 years in the NFL.
I never faced McNally but I did play hoops against Dwan in the Absarokee 3 on 3 tournament when he was in 8th grade (and I was 31 or 32). Dwan was darn good then — and refused to lose. Also needs to be in front of Ryan Leaf.
I played in that Absarokee tournament at one point against Dwan, Jay Edwards and one of the Fitzgeralds. They all had to have been Jr’s in high school and I think I was about my 3rd year of college. Dwan definitely was not the behemoth he became in college and the NFL.

grizfnz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:
I played in that Absarokee tournament at one point against Dwan, Jay Edwards and one of the Fitzgeralds. They all had to have been Jr’s in high school and I think I was about my 3rd year of college. Dwan definitely was not the behemoth he became in college and the NFL.
That would have been John Fitz; they played together all the way through HS. Joined the three of them at the Mo Club the night before the last Missoula Cat game. Dwan was about 6'3", 225 his senior HS Bball season. Was arguably a better Bball player in HS than football. Erickson saw the potential and grabbed him before the MT schools had a chance. You may have seen that John will coach the East team for the Shrine Game next summer.

CFallsGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Dave McNally is in front of most of these guys. Maybe Pat Donovan is ahead of him. Maybe.

Not sure if this has ever been posted, but this is a great read/watch. Especially if you're from Helena...

https://www.montanasports.com/sunday-conversation/2019/01/27/sunday-conversation-pat-donovan-turned-small-town-dreams-to-super-bowl-ring/

Well I happen to be from Helena & in fact I happened to be on the 880 yard relay team that won in 1971 & Pat was always a humble kind of guy like saying the other 3 guys on the relay team were really fast but I will never forget what he said as a tribute to Ron Banks when he passed away. He said something like this. Out of all the players he was associated with at both Stanford & w/the Dallas Cowboys he never saw anyone stronger than Rob Banks & he was not exaggerating in what he said. By the way Ron Banks played with him at Helena High. I also may have been a little biased when picking Donovan as my #1.

Dillon said:
CFallsGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Well I happen to be from Helena & in fact I happened to be on the 880 yard relay team that won in 1971 & Pat was always a humble kind of guy like saying the other 3 guys on the relay team were really fast but I will never forget what he said as a tribute to Ron Banks when he passed away. He said something like this. Out of all the players he was associated with at both Stanford & w/the Dallas Cowboys he never saw anyone stronger than Rob Banks & he was not exaggerating in what he said. By the way Ron Banks played with him at Helena High. I also may have been a little biased when picking Donovan as my #1.

Well, I never met Pat so I will defer. I was a Cowboys fan as a kid and thought it was cool he played so well on their OL.

McNally was obviously older. But having 4 straight 20 win seasons as a MLB pitcher is quite an accomplishment. And I think he is still the only pitcher to hit a grand slam in a World Series game. McNally is solid at No. 2.

Since hometown bias has crept in a bit, I think Marc Mariani belongs on the list ahead of Ryan Leaf. His performance (on the field and on the sideline for the rest of the team) in the 2009 playoff comeback against SDSU was epic and he had a better NFL career (Mariani made the Pro Bowl).

So that’s my pitch for the Havre kid.

Back