• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My Favorite Early Season Stat

AZGrizFan said:
My favorite stat is 4-0. About to be 5-0.

Hmm, not sure how relevant this would be. If the Griz win the next two games, they will have beaten two teams that lost those games, so it really doesn’t tell you much.

poorgriz said:
Yep... which is why I think it's funny how pedestrian fans will look at the griz starting 5 and 0, blowing teams out, and griz all over themselves and buy tickets and book flights to Frisco. Idaho, Sac, Weber, MSU, and probably EWU are all better than any teams you've played so far.

Poor, most of the Griz fans excited about the team, are not exited by the record of the team. They are excited about the quality, strength and depth of the team. So far, the best QB in the conference, at least 5 good running backs, lots of good receivers, a nice o-line. A very strong, deep and swarming D. Second in the nation in total D and near top in scoring D. Good and swarming special teams. FG's not as good as last year so far. Relatively few penalties. Too many mistakes, but they are being cleaned up. Few injuries so far. Knock on wood.

Four games does not make a season, nor guarantee wins. But prospects are very good now, and there is much to be excited about. Again, I don't know why you feel it necessary to try to undercut or tear down the team and the success so far, especially with the weak way you are trying to do it.

AZDoc said:
4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
South Dakota #141 (MSU is 138)
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

Average of 185.5 for Wins

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Plus a 10 TD day against Oregon State #25

Average of 210 for Wins
Even adding in the 25 the average is 163.75

And, part of the reason the teams UM has played are ranked where they are, is because the Griz crushed them. The Griz opponents have played a lot of FBS teams and 3 of the opponents play in the 2 best conferences.

If the Griz played the Cats right now, the Griz. would crush them too.

mthoopsfan said:
AZDoc said:
4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
South Dakota #141 (MSU is 138)
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

Average of 185.5 for Wins

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Plus a 10 TD day against Oregon State #25

Average of 210 for Wins
Even adding in the 25 the average is 163.75

And, part of the reason the teams UM has played are ranked where they are, is because the Griz crushed them. The Griz opponents have played a lot of FBS teams and 3 of the opponents play in the 2 best conferences.

If the Griz played the Cats right now, the Griz. would crush them too.

Exactly. I think Sac State and Weber are the 2 benchmarks this year. Let's hope for continued success and no major injuries.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hmm, not sure how relevant this would be. If the Griz win the next two games, they will have beaten two teams that lost those games, so it really doesn’t tell you much.

I know. It sucks that every time WE win a game, our opponents look less good. :twisted:

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:

This guy gets it. Further, if the Griz blow out those teams it will tell us even less. Can't tell how good a team is if all they do is blow everyone out.

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:
Yep... which is why I think it's funny how pedestrian fans will look at the griz starting 5 and 0, blowing teams out, and griz all over themselves and buy tickets and book flights to Frisco. Idaho, Sac, Weber, MSU, and probably EWU are all better than any teams you've played so far.

Poor, most of the Griz fans excited about the team, are not exited by the record of the team. They are excited about the quality, strength and depth of the team. So far, the best QB in the conference, at least 5 good running backs, lots of good receivers, a nice o-line. A very strong, deep and swarming D. Second in the nation in total D and near top in scoring D. Good and swarming special teams. FG's not as good as last year so far. Relatively few penalties. Too many mistakes, but they are being cleaned up. Few injuries so far. Knock on wood.

Four games does not make a season, nor guarantee wins. But prospects are very good now, and there is much to be excited about. Again, I don't know why you feel it necessary to try to undercut or tear down the team and the success so far, especially with the weak way you are trying to do it.

I'm not tearing down anything. I'm just commenting on how silly it is for fans to predict that the griz will not lose a game this year... and they're basing that based on how bad they've beaten the four teams they've placed. We'll see. I'm still predicting 9-2 for the griz regular season.

As for your other question on the Cats... if they played the griz today on a neutral field, I would probably put my money on the griz right now. But..... I don't think it would be a blowout as you say. Then again, last time the griz came to town I thought it would go down to the wire..... but then the Cats destroyed the griz 48 to 14, so you never know.

Fortunately, they aren't playing today. They're playing on November 19th, and fortunately it's in Bozeman. So far (with the one year data point), Vigen's teams get better each game and peak at the right time (November and December), as did Choate's teams. This Cat team you've seen so far will look quite a bit different in November, especially when they get Ifanse, Sumner, Manning, Rygg, Fleishmann, Martin, Ortt, Steele, and Mellott back and healthy. Really hoping for limited injuries moving forward.

Now, I know people will rip on that post and talk about how the Cats have no depth and how the griz are super talented and deep at every position... but from what I've read the griz have been very fortunate with limited injuries this year. Your QB is legit, might be the best QB in the conference. If he goes down, the griz will take a huge step back.

poorgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I'm not tearing down anything. I'm just commenting on how silly it is for fans to predict that the griz will not lose a game this year... and they're basing that based on how bad they've beaten the four teams they've placed. We'll see. I'm still predicting 9-2 for the griz regular season.

As for your other question on the Cats... if they played the griz today on a neutral field, I would probably put my money on the griz right now. But..... I don't think it would be a blowout as you say. Then again, last time the griz came to town I thought it would go down to the wire..... but then the Cats destroyed the griz 48 to 14, so you never know.

Fortunately, they aren't playing today. They're playing on November 19th, and fortunately it's in Bozeman. So far (with the one year data point), Vigen's teams get better each game and peak at the right time (November and December), as did Choate's teams. This Cat team you've seen so far will look quite a bit different in November, especially when they get Ifanse, Sumner, Manning, Rygg, Fleishmann, Martin, Ortt, Steele, and Mellott back and healthy. Really hoping for limited injuries moving forward.

Now, I know people will rip on that post and talk about how the Cats have no depth and how the griz are super talented and deep at every position... but from what I've read the griz have been very fortunate with limited injuries this year. Your QB is legit, might be the best QB in the conference. If he goes down, the griz will take a huge step back.

That was definitely not the case last season, and we still whooped that ass. Yes Johnson would be a big loss, but he doesn't play defense (much like the bobs). :thumb:

Back