• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My Favorite Early Season Stat

UncleP said:
AZDoc said:
My new favorite stat will happen on Saturday night...it will be the over/under on how many cat posters are on here mouthing off after the Davis loss. I'm going with the opening line of 2.5.

I’ll take the over!

I went 2.5 because I figured many would be in hiding until Late Sunday. Thought 3.5 initially, but it is early and depends on the betting trends... :lol:

AZDoc said:
Htowngriz said:
Especially considering the margin of victory in the games. It'd be one thing if we were just squeaking by these teams, but that obviously has not been the case.

Someone needs to pull up the Sagarin Ratings for the teams...then look at point differential in comparison to said ratings. I have patients, otherwise I would.

I don't have patience...otherwise I would.

4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
South Dakota #141 (MSU is 138)
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

Average of 185.5 for Wins

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Plus a 10 TD day against Oregon State #25

Average of 210 for Wins
Even adding in the 25 the average is 163.75

AZDoc said:
4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Average of 210 for Wins

Ya people get way too caught up in these stats early in the season. We went through the same thing last season when we were only good because we didn't play anyone. Can only play who's on your schedule. These things tend to work themselves out after we get into the regular season a bit.

Saw on Twitter Massey's SOS for our Top 10 yesterday:

NDSU - 39th
SDSU - 9th
UM - 80th
MSU - 30th
Sac St - 24th
Delaware - 76th
Missouri St - 4th
Weber St - 48th
Jackson St - 112th
Holy Cross - 60th

Play a few conference games, especially in our conference, and these will obviously change as much as the Top 10 will.

ilovethecats said:
AZDoc said:
4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Average of 210 for Wins

Ya people get way too caught up in these stats early in the season. We went through the same thing last season when we were only good because we didn't play anyone. Can only play who's on your schedule. These things tend to work themselves out after we get into the regular season a bit.

NDSU - 39th
SDSU - 9th
UM - 80th
MSU - 30th
Sac St - 24th
Delaware - 76th
Missouri St - 4th
Weber St - 48th
Jackson St - 112th
Holy Cross - 60th

Play a few conference games, especially in our conference, and these will obviously change as much as the Top 10 will.

and if they only did SOS on FCS teams and didn't include the FBS games, y'alls would look just like everybody elses. Sac is getting credit for beating an "FBS" team INO.

ilovethecats said:
AZDoc said:
4-0 Montana has beaten:
Northwestern State #234
Indiana State #192
Portland State #175

3-1 Bozo State
McNeese State #211
Moorehead #260
Ewoo # 159

Average of 210 for Wins

NDSU - 39th
SDSU - 9th
UM - 80th
MSU - 30th
Sac St - 24th
Delaware - 76th
Missouri St - 4th
Weber St - 48th
Jackson St - 112th
Holy Cross - 60th

I agree. Interestingly enough, UNDSU plays Indiana State next saturday the 8th. Obviously they already played SD. SOS is the epitome of cherry picking stats this early in the season. As you said, the work themselves out.

AZGrizFan said:
ilovethecats said:

NDSU - 39th
SDSU - 9th
UM - 80th
MSU - 30th
Sac St - 24th
Delaware - 76th
Missouri St - 4th
Weber St - 48th
Jackson St - 112th
Holy Cross - 60th

and if they only did SOS on FCS teams and didn't include the FBS games, y'alls would look just like everybody elses. Sac is getting credit for beating an "FBS" team INO.
No doubt. Which is why I tend to avoid the back and forth pissing contests at least until everyone has played a few conference games. :cool:

Yep... which is why I think it's funny how pedestrian fans will look at the griz starting 5 and 0, blowing teams out, and griz all over themselves and buy tickets and book flights to Frisco. Idaho, Sac, Weber, MSU, and probably EWU are all better than any teams you've played so far.

poorgriz said:
Yep... which is why I think it's funny how pedestrian fans will look at the griz starting 5 and 0, blowing teams out, and griz all over themselves and buy tickets and book flights to Frisco. Idaho, Sac, Weber, MSU, and probably EWU are all better than any teams you've played so far.

Well, you got 4 out of 5 correct!

poorgriz said:

To play devils advocate, we were in the EXACT same boat last year. We didn't play anyone, and had to hear there was no way were good and only looked good by playing nobody. We also had fans that might have been a little too high on our squad than they would have been if we played our 2nd half of the schedule first. :?

I maintain we're probably the best conference in the country, and the teams we thought would be good this summer will in fact be good 2 months from now. UM, MSU, Weber and Sac will have a LOT to say about how it shakes out in the next month and a half

poorgriz said:

Excepting OSU, the same could be said for the cats.

Why are we excepting OSU? Ohh, perhaps because you gave up TEN TOUCHDOWNS (10!!!!!!!!!) to them.

And is eastern really better than South Dakota? I have serious doubts.

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Excepting OSU, the same could be said for the cats.

Why are we excepting OSU? Ohh, perhaps because you gave up TEN TOUCHDOWNS (10!!!!!!!!!) to them.

And is eastern really better than South Dakota? I have serious doubts.

Don’t you realize the eags are going to blow the doors off Florida on Sunday proving how great the scats actually are?

poorgriz said:

First of all, why would you even care what fans of another team think of their own team? Are you incredibly insecure? The Griz were a good team last year and have improved on both sides of the ball. It's not a surprise they are a top team in FCS this year. Do you watch the games? The Griz have an extremely talented, well coached team. I think it's funny how this is some kind of mystery to cat fans who feel some need to convince folks on a Griz fan site otherwise.

"Griz on themselves and buy tickets to Frisco..." How old are you? And again, why do you care if Griz fans are enjoying their team's success?

Alaska Griz said:
poorgriz said:

First of all, why would you even care what fans of another team think of their own team? Are you incredibly insecure? The Griz were a good team last year and have improved on both sides of the ball. It's not a surprise they are a top team in FCS this year. Do you watch the games? The Griz have an extremely talented, well coached team. I think it's funny how this is some kind of mystery to cat fans who feel some need to convince folks on a Griz fan site otherwise.

"Griz on themselves and buy tickets to Frisco..." How old are you? And again, why do you care if Griz fans are enjoying their team's success?

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, but that's OK! My point is that there are SOME fans (Not just on this website but in the real world) that think this griz team is more or less unbeatable, because of how they've looked against the first four opponents, and yes with another blowout coming Saturday. I literally heard two nights ago (Overheard two griz fans in a bar) talking about how they would be shocked if the griz lost a regular season game this year, or a playoff game until Frisco, and of course that started the comparisons to NDSU and talk about how the griz look way better than NDSU this year. You can't make this stuff up, and it's real. :lol:

This isn't anything new, just overblown fan expectations, which have been in place for a long time now. I learned a long time ago to expect less from the teams I like than what I am actually thinking, because we let emotions get involved and think our teams are better than they are. Last year I expected the Cats to get beat out in the quarters, so it was a great surprise when they made it to Frisco :thumb:

poorgriz said:
Alaska Griz said:

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, but that's OK! My point is that there are SOME fans (Not just on this website but in the real world) that think this griz team is more or less unbeatable, because of how they've looked against the first four opponents, and yes with another blowout coming Saturday. I literally heard two nights ago (Overheard two griz fans in a bar) talking about how they would be shocked if the griz lost a regular season game this year, or a playoff game until Frisco, and of course that started the comparisons to NDSU and talk about how the griz look way better than NDSU this year. You can't make this stuff up, and it's real. :lol:

This isn't anything new, just overblown fan expectations, which have been in place for a long time now. I learned a long time ago to expect less from the teams I like than what I am actually thinking, because we let emotions get involved and think our teams are better than they are. Last year I expected the Cats to get beat out in the quarters, so it was a great surprise when they made it to Frisco :thumb:

Dang, you should've set them straight on that right when you heard it while you were sitting there, by yourself, listening to a couple buddies have a conversation. Your GrizTalk Alarm must've been blaring. Thanks for sharing here.

poorgriz said:

This pedestrian fan bought 4. :cool:

AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:

This pedestrian fan bought 4. :cool:

3 for me. ;)

poorgriz said:

Poor, do you think the Cats are better than the Griz?

Which of the teams you mentioned do you think are better than the Griz?

I don't know which of those teams, other than EWU, the Cats play, but do you think the Cats will beat all of those teams?

Idaho is 2-2. They've beaten Drake (0-4) and NAU (1-3). Yes, Idaho played okay against the FBS teams. Do you think Idaho is good? Are they going to beat the Cats?

Instead of saying how bad other teams are, why don't you say how good, or not good, the Griz are? Why don't you just address what we are talking about?

I'm not yet predicting huge things for the Griz (because I am a one game at a time guy), but they have looked very good so far and are playing very well now. They have not shown any weaknesses. At some point in the games, they have crushed the other team. Why can't you just acknowledge that, or just let it go for now? Why do you feel you need to undercut the Griz?

Back