• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Muhammed Ali Passes

Ursa put his ass on the line to become the new Bobcat AD. He went undrafted. Again. I did the same in the NFL draft, and the bastards overlooked me, again, despite great hands. My agent tells me the pro teams are shying away from dudes in their mid-30s who may or may not be 5'8" and 155 and run 4.9s. Welp, there's always next year.

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa put his ass on the line to become the new Bobcat AD. He went undrafted. Again. I did the same in the NFL draft, and the bastards overlooked me, again, despite great hands. My agent tells me the pro teams are shying away from dudes in their mid-30s who may or may not be 5'8" and 155 and run 4.9s. Welp, there's always next year.

Have you considered the PBA? You sound like a strong candidate.

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Have you considered the PBA? You sound like a strong candidate.

Those dickholes rejected me, too. Something about having five fingers on one's dominant hand. Whatever.

IdaGriz01 said:
CV Griz Fan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Back on the main topic ... there was one itsy-bitsy negative that came out of the Ali boxing era. And I go way back into the Fifties as a boxing fan, so I have a good basis for my statement. Ali was supremely gifted as an athlete -- he could have excelled at any number of sports if he'd been given the opportunity (of course, he wasn't). So he damn near ruined a whole generation of (would-be) boxers who tried to emulate his style and techniques without having the ability, and guts, to pull it off.

Even now, you see guys who must have viewed the old Ali videos and want to fight his way. Not many have the necessary ability and usually get their clock cleaned before they wise up.

It depends on what you mean by "style and techniques". Ali was a "stick and move" guy with a great jab and excellent counter punch ability. He had the knock out power when he needed it too. Many black fighters were successful at that style in the '70's and beyond. SRL certainly comes to mind. As far as the "getting in your head" part and the "showmanship" I'd agree with you, they broke the mold after him.
Yes, Ali was a "stick and move" guy with a busy jab that set up multi-punch flurries ... which were his real strength, especially -- as you say -- in a counter-punch mode. And, yes, he could "sit down on his punches" to get his opponents respect. But, blasphemous as it may sound in the current euphoria, Ali's boxing skills included a number of key flaws -- I can give you web addresses that discuss those flaws in detail if you're interested. In summary: (1) He kept his hands low ... which he could get away with early in his career because he had incredible reflexes. Later in his career, he overcame that with his amazing toughness and ability to take a punch (not a good thing, BTW). FWIW, Larry Holmes had a "great" jab ... way better that Ali''s as an offensive weapon. (2) In moving away from an opponent's offense, he too often went straight back. That's how Joe Frazier blasted him totally on his ass with a lunging left hook that a more technically sound fighter might have avoided. (3) The "rope-a-dope" only worked because (again) Ali was tough as nails, both in terms of body and his ability to take a punch. Others who tried that damn near got their heads taken off.

As for the "many" black fighters who succeeded imitating Ali's approach, I respectfully disagree. First, far more did not, or had to unlearn a lot of bad habits before they became successful. Second, those few who did succeed with an Ali style (like SRL, whom you mention) were all at the lighter weights and were also highly gifted athletically. I'd have to dig in some history to identify any light-heavyweight and up fighters who had any long-term success emulating Ali (a couple of names tickle in the back of my brain, but I can't quite dredge them up).

Of course, on the last points -- we're in total agreement. About the only name that immediately comes to mind along those lines was Hector "Macho" Camacho. Camacho had very good fighting skills -- perhaps not "outstanding," but he was tough -- but put on one of the best shows in boxing entering the ring, and could definitely get in his opponents head with his mugging, prancing, etc.

Aside: Does anyone else find it ironic that boxing has always -- and still -- drawn criticism for how it's based on one man (and now woman) hurting another man (or woman) ... and yet no one seems to be upset by the "Ultimate Fighting Championship" stuff, where guys get kicked, pounded when they're down, and so on? Weird.

Ida, you sound like a great boxing fan. Maybe you should give some examples of fighters who you thought tried to imitate Ali's style and got their "clock cleaned". I totally agree that Holmes' jab was fantastic and certainly better than Ali's but don't you think Ali was just rusty in his first bout with JF? I am a huge JF fan but he had terrible troubles with bigger fighters. Not just Ali but later with George Forman as well. JF's heart in the " thrilla in Manilla" will never be questioned but Ali beat him. UFC is so popular because the "Don King" element is gone. It's perceived as being a "real" battle of conflicting styles. As long as that element remains present, UFC will continue thrive IMO....

This has nothing to do with Montana, Griz football or football why isnt it in the other sports section? The way the media is glamorizing this draft dodging coward is pretty stupid

Dumbass

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
This has nothing to do with Montana, Griz football or football why isn't it in the other sports section?

In rare cases, some individuals are worthy of greater attention... Yes he has some major flaws (draft dodging etc.), but he was also one of the few world wide known athletes. I think a few days discussion is OK, then it will die down or be moved.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
This has nothing to do with Montana, Griz football or football why isnt it in the other sports section? The way the media is glamorizing this draft dodging coward is pretty stupid

Dumbass

Yes, you are a dumbass. You seem to be proving that over and over these days.

I have a few questions.

1) Was Muhammad Ali actually a draft dodger?
Admittedly he refused to go to Viet Nam, but is that the same as leaving the Country to avoid being drafted?
The man stayed in the U.S. and accepted the consequence of his actions, which ended up costing him dearly.

2) Is there such a thing as a conscientious objector and what are the requirements? Did Mr Ali meet those requirements at the time?

3) Does one perceived mistake made during one's youth negate all of the good that person does throughout his or her life?

There is no agenda here other than to pose the questions. I know how I would answer. And yes, I did live through that period as a draft age male. My number was 22.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Dumbass

See you on the 4th I will be a few houses down from the lake place on Flathead make sure to run your mouth then

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmmm, does this mean we can post up Jimmy Carter? -Obama? -Dr. Marty L. King?
Among others.... on our GRIZ FOOTBALL board?
Payton, I don't have a rooster (chicken) in this fight but I don't agree.

ALPHAGRIZ1"[b said:
]This has nothing to do with[/b] Montana, Griz football or football why isnt it in the other sports section? The way the media is glamorizing this draft dodging coward is pretty stupid

Dumbass

The only possible link is the outrageous efforts of the PC crowd looking to shut down college and pro football on concussion grounds, who ignore the nearly 100% brain damage figures for anyone who ever steps in a boxing ring. Ali is exhibit A. When boxing is outlawed or boxers are wearing air cushion gloves and better headgear than amateurs now wear, and soccer players are wearing helmets fit for hockey or lacrosse, come talk to me about the dangers of football. Football began providing and improving protective gear light years before these other sports, and will continue to improve.

Sorry if this gets anyone started on mandatory motorcycle helmets.

Umista said:
Hmmm, does this mean we can post up Jimmy Carter? -Obama? -Dr. Marty L. King?
Among others.... on our GRIZ FOOTBALL board?
Payton, I don't have a rooster (chicken) in this fight but I don't agree.

Ali is in the very rare air with the likes of Jordan and Ruth...

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Dumbass

See you on the 4th I will be a few houses down from the lake place on Flathead make sure to run your mouth then

I knew you were a big mouth and full of threats, including most recently posting my phone number and names of my kids, but now stalker can be added to the list.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Dumbass

I knew you were a big mouth and full of threats, including most recently posting my phone number and names of my kids, but now stalker can be added to the list.

Please dude, you have posted so much personal info about me, my wife, my friends, etc., that you of all people have no business calling anyone a stalker. If anyone who posts on this site qualifies as a stalker, it is the individual you see every morning when you look into the mirror!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Dumbass

From a chicken hawk who never served and let other folks and their kids fight his battles.
Go hang out with Dick Cheney, Trump and their ilk.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:

Please dude, you have posted so much personal info about me, my wife, my friends, etc., that you of all people have no business calling anyone a stalker. If anyone who posts on this site qualifies as a stalker, it is the individual you see every morning when you look into the mirror!

Nope, not me. Must have me confused with someone else. Never said much about you, but it all came from what you said or others said on the board about yourself. Have no clue who any of your friends are.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Dumbass

Naw just lots of former players that hate you enough to throw all kind of info about you at me. I don't even post the good stuff.......................................

Back