• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU's Indoor Practice Facility

Not to be forgotten is the snow-covered annex to the Brick Breeden field house that collapsed a few years ago. Lesson: Don't expect much from the architecture school down there. Fail. Fail.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I agree. Whatever they call that abomination by the poop pond needs serious attention. The only reason they’re trying to build an IPF is because UM is. They know it deep down.

I know you like to think that CDA. However, when Leon Costello came on board the long range facilities plan was developed that included the IPF. The first priority was the new BAC as they needed to free up space in the field house. The IPF was second, and when Choate was hired he started the push for fund raising for it. It had nothing to do with UM and all to do with eliminating the disadvantage of a lot of disrupted practice time because of snow and cold and a recruiting plus. Next will be more stadium upgrades.

That's just another example of bad leadership. Wrong priorities. With $25 million, MSU could probably upgrade RHS to at least look like one stadium rather than three. Remember when they played about three full seasons where most of the field was normal like a fairway, but all the patched-in logos were like the second cut of rough? They really need to fix the place where they play games and want people to pay money to watch them.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
I know you like to think that CDA. However, when Leon Costello came on board the long range facilities plan was developed that included the IPF. The first priority was the new BAC as they needed to free up space in the field house. The IPF was second, and when Choate was hired he started the push for fund raising for it. It had nothing to do with UM and all to do with eliminating the disadvantage of a lot of disrupted practice time because of snow and cold and a recruiting plus. Next will be more stadium upgrades.

That's just another example of bad leadership. Wrong priorities. With $25 million, MSU could probably upgrade RHS to at least look like one stadium rather than three. Remember when they played about three full seasons where most of the field was normal like a fairway, but all the patched-in logos were like the second cut of rough? They really need to fix the place where they play games and want people to pay money to watch them.

The donors did not agree with you. They wanted the BAC first and then IPF. The stadium is next. People are paying money to watch them. Every game is sold out and season ticket sales are at all time highs.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The donors did not agree with you. They wanted the BAC first and then IPF. The stadium is next. People are paying money to watch them. Every game is sold out and season ticket sales are at all time highs.

The stadia have been "next" for over a decade. Remember when they released those renderings of it all bowled-in in like 2008? It's 2024, and it still looks like a bunch of mismatched Legos. But, hey, let's make building a tilt-up wedding tent the priority. :roll:

ElrodGrizzly said:
grizfnz said:
Wonder how long the fabric exterior of msu’s “permanent structure” will hold out. Hopefully they took snow loading into account when designing the metal frame the fabric will be stretched over🫣

Wait, you're kidding. The "permanent structure" this guy is talking about is just a frame with fabric over it? Like a wig wam? And they are paying 25 million? No offense to wig wams, they were great for living on the American plains temporarily, but I don't know that I would advocate that as the structure for a "permanent" football practice facility.

I would feel actually bad for him if that was what he was bragging about being so much better. I assumed they were building an ACTUAL dome the way he is talking, not just a frame with fabric.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=50871&start=260#p831324

grizfnz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:
Wait, you're kidding. The "permanent structure" this guy is talking about is just a frame with fabric over it? Like a wig wam? And they are paying 25 million? No offense to wig wams, they were great for living on the American plains temporarily, but I don't know that I would advocate that as the structure for a "permanent" football practice facility.

I would feel actually bad for him if that was what he was bragging about being so much better. I assumed they were building an ACTUAL dome the way he is talking, not just a frame with fabric.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=50871&start=260#p831324

Thank you for that. It really is just a frame with fabric covering it. I generally never visit their board, but man, it ALSO doesn't have a track? Are track and softball even going to be able to use it? How did their other athletes not revolt?

Also, "The primary structure will be a pre-engineered, metal framed, tensioned fabric exterior building, which houses a 100 yard (two 10 YD endzones with 80 YD striped field between)" Sooooooo, they paid more, somehow have more square feet, but they have no track and their football field is actually 20 yards short?

Wowzers. I wouldn't even care, if there wasn't someone here trying to tell us how much better theirs is. I hope some day folks in Bozeman learn that "more expensive" does not always equate to "better."

Can we not just acknowledge that MSU is going to be building a better practice facility than ours? It really not that big of a deal to admit reality. The very fact that ours is inflatable and semi-permanent makes it inferior. If we're being honest with ourselves, all Griz fans would rather have something more substantial and permanent. Some of you guys are so Cat crazy its ridiculous.

gotgame75 said:
Can we not just acknowledge that MSU is going to be building a better practice facility than ours? It really not that big of a deal to admit reality. The very fact that ours is inflatable and semi-permanent makes it inferior. If we're being honest with ourselves, all Griz fans would rather have something more substantial and permanent. Some of you guys are so Cat crazy its ridiculous.

The purpose of both structures is to provide an indoor practice environment.

If theirs was somehow more permanent, I might agree with you. They have a frame with tight fabric covering it, no track, and not a regulation field.

Ours has a full field, full track, and plans for it to be used by the entire community. It can also be taken down during the summer months, to not suffer as much weathering as the fabric they will have on there. Ours also costs half as much.

I really don't care about their field. To be quite honest, I thought theirs would be years out. Assumed theirs would be a bubble too. But if some guy wants to come on here and try to trash ours to talk up theirs, I'm more than happy to have that discussion. I have yet to see a way in which theirs is a superior practice outcome, but I am open to listening to your thoughts?

ElrodGrizzly said:
grizfnz said:

Thank you for that. It really is just a frame with fabric covering it. I generally never visit their board, but man, it ALSO doesn't have a track? Are track and softball even going to be able to use it? How did their other athletes not revolt?

Also, "The primary structure will be a pre-engineered, metal framed, tensioned fabric exterior building, which houses a 100 yard (two 10 YD endzones with 80 YD striped field between)" Sooooooo, they paid more, somehow have more square feet, but they have no track and their football field is actually 20 yards short?

Wowzers. I wouldn't even care, if there wasn't someone here trying to tell us how much better theirs is. I hope some day folks in Bozeman learn that "more expensive" does not always equate to "better."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.montana.edu/news/23326/montana-state-athletics-moves-closer-to-new-indoor-practice-facility-with-board-of-regents-approval-of-project&ved=2ahUKEwiO0t77w4OEAxXAj2oFHezRDWcQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0aam3OWzDEKQUOyubWc8fo

Where are you getting your infoormation?
yes it is definitely reg size for football, and has a track also. Nice try.

Here you go and your welcome.

Livininthebush said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.montana.edu/news/23326/montana-state-athletics-moves-closer-to-new-indoor-practice-facility-with-board-of-regents-approval-of-project&ved=2ahUKEwiO0t77w4OEAxXAj2oFHezRDWcQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0aam3OWzDEKQUOyubWc8fo

Where are you getting your info?

Obviously from the link you quoted that Grizfnz had posted to me, and that I was replying to. Glad the track kids actually can use yours. That is great, and as it should be.

Why the shortened field? And how much longer is your fabric roof supposed to last as compared to our inflatable one?

ElrodGrizzly said:
grizfnz said:

Actually, it is going to be a nice building with brick veneer on the outside walls. It does have a track and areas for jumps and throws for the track team. It will have restrooms and changing rooms and an entrance lobby. Also, will have a Daktronics football scoreboard. The building will be fully insulated and and have air conditioning. I am not trying to compare with UM as I don't know what theirs includes. I think both will be good additions to the respective athletic facilities.

https://www.montana.edu/pdc/documents_old/bid/22-0699%20Exhibit%20A%20Preliminary%20Project%20Information.pdf

Livininthebush said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I like how the rendering has the "M" at the 40 yd. line. You're right that the article says "100 yards of turf", but math is hard.

CDAGRIZ said:
Livininthebush said:

I like how the rendering has the "M" at the 40 yd. line. You're right that the article says "100 yards of turf", but math is hard.

I didn't want to believe it -- couldn't really -- but at this point I think we have to state the obvious reality: bush really IS this fucking stupid.

bigsky33 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Actually, it is going to be a nice building with brick veneer on the outside walls. It does have a track and areas for jumps and throws for the track team. It will have restrooms and changing rooms and an entrance lobby. Also, will have a Daktronics football scoreboard. The building will be fully insulated and and have air conditioning. I am not trying to compare with UM as I don't know what theirs includes. I think both will be good additions to the respective athletic facilities.

https://www.montana.edu/pdc/documents_old/bid/22-0699%20Exhibit%20A%20Preliminary%20Project%20Information.pdf

That is a perfectly reasonable position to take. I have zero problem with you, or many Bobcats. I think I have shared here before that my nephew was on scholarship for your team when he was in college. My issue is with trolls coming here.

The building will be fully insulated, but I wasn't talking about insulation. He insinuated that it is a permanent structure as a practice field, as compared to ours that is inflatable and would need replacing.

In the link you sent me, it calls it "Pre-engineered metal framed structure with tensioned fabric siding." That makes it sound like a metal frame with tensioned fabric. Anyone with a long time in Montana would tell you that structures like that are not considered "permanent" as they would need repair and replacement as well. I'm not even sure how a layman without a background in building with both would be able to have a clue which would last longer.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I didn't want to believe it -- couldn't really -- but at this point I think we have to state the obvious reality: bush really IS this fucking stupid.

Reading is hard, but they drew him a picture.....

ElrodGrizzly said:
bigsky33 said:

That is a perfectly reasonable position to take. I have zero problem with you, or many Bobcats. I think I have shared here before that my nephew was on scholarship for your team when he was in college. My issue is with trolls coming here.

The building will be fully insulated, but I wasn't talking about insulation. He insinuated that it is a permanent structure as a practice field, as compared to ours that is inflatable and would need replacing.

In the link you sent me, it calls it "Pre-engineered metal framed structure with tensioned fabric siding." That makes it sound like a metal frame with tensioned fabric. Anyone with a long time in Montana would tell you that structures like that are not considered "permanent" as they would need repair and replacement as well. I'm not even sure how a layman without a background in building with both would be able to have a clue which would last longer.

I am not an engineer but I know the intent is a permanent building. The steel structure in the pictures sure looks permanent. How long the siding would last, I have no clue. I don't know how the brick veneer siding protects the interior siding as far as longevity. In any event, like I said previously, both will be good additions to respective facilities.

$25 M....for a tent. I assume the Circus comes with the price. Can hardly wait.....High Wire Act, Clown Car, Dancing Bobcats. :clap:

3-7-77 said:
$25 M....for a tent. I assume the Circus comes with the price. Can hardly wait.....High Wire Act, Clown Car, Dancing Bobcats. :clap:

Looking at the pictures, it has no resemblance to a tent. It has a heavy duty steel beam frame.

Ringmaster would be 'Chump' in a Top Hat.
Artists renderings could make this tent look like the Taj Mahal.

Back