• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana v. Montana Tech

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Tech was 10-19 from 3. Most contested. Griz were 4-10. Falls was 2-3 from 3.

Griz shot 53%. Tech in 40s. Griz out rebounded Tech. Tech had way more assists

Manuel, Pridgett and Falls played most of game. 39 and 48 minutes. Anderson was plus 5 and Falls was plus 4.

Manuel was 9-15 and 1-5. Pridgett 5-10. Falls 4-6

Falls had 5 TO and 3 steals. At least, 2 for dunks.

Vasquez didn’t shoot and had 3 TO in 16 min.

Anderson fouled out in 13 min.

You still watching lowly NAIA basketball?

Yup. I started watching non-D I basketball including NAIA long before you did. Followed UGF. Had relatives play NAIA hoops, and football. Wife's family has huge history with Western. Nephew played hoops there. Many basketball coaches in my wife's and my family. Her dad was a college hoops head coach in MT, non-D I, for 18 years. She loves hoops and we follow the MT kids in NAIA. Her family knew a lot of coaches, and we also followed them. All 5 of our kids played hoops. I think our streak of a kid in hoops ended at 27 straight years. My dad was taking me to non-D I hoops from the time I was a little kid, like 3 or 4. Indians from the res take their hoops seriously, as you know, and that was big part of life from an early age. I've been in a lot of gyms including little gyms in MT.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Tech was 10-19 from 3. Most contested. Griz were 4-10. Falls was 2-3 from 3.

Griz shot 53%. Tech in 40s. Griz out rebounded Tech. Tech had way more assists

Manuel, Pridgett and Falls played most of game. 39 and 48 minutes. Anderson was plus 5 and Falls was plus 4.

Manuel was 9-15 and 1-5. Pridgett 5-10. Falls 4-6

Falls had 5 TO and 3 steals. At least, 2 for dunks.

Vasquez didn’t shoot and had 3 TO in 16 min.

Anderson fouled out in 13 min.

You still watching lowly NAIA basketball?

Yup. I started watching non-D I basketball including NAIA long before you did. Followed UGF. Had relatives play NAIA hoops, and football. Wife's family has huge history with Western. Nephew played hoops there. Many basketball coaches in my wife's and my family. Her dad was a college hoops head coach in MT, non-D I, for 18 years. She loves hoops and we follow the MT kids in NAIA. Her family knew a lot of coaches, and we also followed them. All 5 of our kids played hoops. I think our streak of a kid in hoops ended at 27 straight years. My dad was taking me to non-D I hoops from the time I was a little kid, like 3 or 4. Indians from the res take their hoops seriously, as you know, and that was big part of life from an early age. I've been in a lot of gyms including little gyms in MT.
Perfect response! Pretty sure powerhouse Tech is picked to finish middle of the Frontier this year.

GrizWhiz said:
There are twelve Griz on scholarship this year. Three of them are ineligible due to transfer rules. Samuelson is still out due to a knee issue. That leaves eight scholarship players. Four of them are freshmen and one of then (Anderson) is a very raw sophomore. The rough beginning is not a surprise and I am willing to be patient. Travis has more than earned this. This team will get better as the year goes on. The return of Samuelson and Yagi (in January) should help considerably.

Any other excuses?

For all the griping about the Lady Griz, I don't recall that they have been beaten by a NAIA team.

cclarkblues said:
For all the griping about the Lady Griz, I don't recall that they have been beaten by a NAIA team.

And remind me how the current Lady Griz coach has done in the Big Sky tournament during her tenure....

I honestly think this loss is no more or less bad when it comes to March than any other. Might be embarrassing for a fan, but good programs probably look at it from an entirely different perspective. I don’t think this loss diminishes a program, and absolutely no evaluator with a grain of salt holds this against a player or a coach. Frankly it is just a loss.

I noted this on twitter as well, but all programs have these types of losses from time to time. No matter how good you are, you are going to have those one or two losses in a career of coaching that defy logic.

That isn’t to say you can’t or shouldn’t take to heart as a staff what happened last night, but I don’t think you over play or under play it. Lessons to be learned and what role does each player and coach play in getting some growth from it.

They exhibited the effort, leadership and talent that will win games, but it lacked at times the execution and attention to detail that consistently win games. Execution and attention to detail can be fixed.

The weaknesses of depth and experience can be only remedied over time. That help isn’t coming tomorrow or the next day. Might arrive in January, but when your end game is March, the lessons are more about the process. tough to swallow when you drop a game like this, but it isn’t end the of the world.

Btown said:
GrizWhiz said:
There are twelve Griz on scholarship this year. Three of them are ineligible due to transfer rules. Samuelson is still out due to a knee issue. That leaves eight scholarship players. Four of them are freshmen and one of then (Anderson) is a very raw sophomore. The rough beginning is not a surprise and I am willing to be patient. Travis has more than earned this. This team will get better as the year goes on. The return of Samuelson and Yagi (in January) should help considerably.

Any other excuses?
Have anything meaningful to say? :?

Grizfan-24 said:
I honestly think this loss is no more or less bad when it comes to March than any other. Might be embarrassing for a fan, but good programs probably look at it from an entirely different perspective. I don’t think this loss diminishes a program, and absolutely no evaluator with a grain of salt holds this against a player or a coach. Frankly it is just a loss.

I noted this on twitter as well, but all programs have these types of losses from time to time. No matter how good you are, you are going to have those one or two losses in a career of coaching that defy logic.

That isn’t to say you can’t or shouldn’t take to heart as a staff what happened last night, but I don’t think you over play or under play it. Lessons to be learned and what role does each player and coach play in getting some growth from it.

They exhibited the effort, leadership and talent that will win games, but it lacked at times the execution and attention to detail that consistently win games. Execution and attention to detail can be fixed.

The weaknesses of depth and experience can be only remedied over time. That help isn’t coming tomorrow or the next day. Might arrive in January, but when your end game is March, the lessons are more about the process. tough to swallow when you drop a game like this, but it isn’t end the of the world.

Nice post. My view too. Obviously, the Griz aren’t as good as they have been. They have talent and 2 more bigger guys coming from the bench. I Hope lessons in the importance of focus and intensity against all teams can be learned. I assume they are embarrassed. Again, Tech played a nice game and has some playlets. They never folded and just wouldn’t let the Griz get away from them.

Btown said:
GrizWhiz said:

Any other excuses?

Those aren’t excuses. They are facts.

GrizWhiz said:

Good post. This is a rebuilding year, and if losing to Tech doesn't light a fire under these guys, nothing will. But anybody who expected 20 wins this year will be disappointed, and deserves to be disappointed.

PlayerRep said:
Btown said:
GrizWhiz said:

Any other excuses?

Those aren’t excuses. They are facts.
Here are another set of facts/stats: Tech-12/17, 70% are from Montana vs UM-3/15, 20% are from Montana. A good show for 15 total kids from "Montana", the vast majority play for Tech and outplayed, UM/Montana on their own court! Either way "Montana" wins!!

PlayerRep said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Nice post. My view too. Obviously, the Griz aren’t as good as they have been. They have talent and 2 more bigger guys coming from the bench. I Hope lessons in the importance of focus and intensity against all teams can be learned. I assume they are embarrassed. Again, Tech played a nice game and has some playlets. They never folded and just wouldn’t let the Griz get away from them.
The guys are embarrassed and taking responsibility. They know they have to help the younger players gain confidence. Vasquez is a good shooter and lightning quick but didn't take a shot or a drive to the hoop last night. That needs to change. It will be a process but we have athleticism and talent. Just have to get the teamwork thingy going.

GrizPony said:
PlayerRep said:
Grizfan-24 said:

The guys are embarrassed and taking responsibility. They know they have to help the younger players gain confidence. Vasquez is a good shooter and lightning quick but didn't take a shot or a drive to the hoop last night. That needs to change. It will be a process but we have athleticism and talent. Just have to get the teamwork thingy going.

Vasquez hasn’t drove into the lane most of the year. He never breaks down the defense with penetration. Not sure if that just isn’t his game or he needs to learn the confidence to do it but that’s a huge difference from last year. Rorie and Oguine did at will last year which created good offense.

Back