• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mont St. transfer from UW - RaeQuan Battle

PlayerRep said:
ilovethecats said:
Guess that will be the million dollar question.

I'll admit my take on this is different because first, I'm obviously a Cat fan. I'm biased. So I look at this signing and of course only think about the positive possibilities.

But second, I have a LOT of faith in Sprinkle. I've known him since high school, and I think he's the man for the job. His guys LOVE playing for him, which based on everything I have read is the exact opposite of the kids at Washington. I think he does an excellent job of showing "tough love" to his guys, very much the same as your own head coach. He's gonna get on ya a lot during a game, (not every single second of every minute with no positive re-enforcement like Fish did) but will be the first to build you up and congratulate you for great play. His communication with players is excellent, so I have no doubt that Battle knows exactly what is expected of him at this very moment.

As I said earlier though, who knows. You guys could be right and he could be a cancer in the locker room and unwilling to be coached. But I think if so many people on a message board know this much about a kid, then the coaches who have actually been talking to him know even more. Sprinks wouldn't bring in a guy who he knew wasn't willing to put in the work and be coached up.

Lastly, sometimes there is just something about a change of scenery that re-energizes a player. He was a 4-star kid highly recruited in high school. Signed Pac12 and maybe had an ego? I have no idea. Combine that with a lousy team and a coach you don't like and it spells trouble. I'm hoping a change of scenery and new staff can bring out the best in him. But who knows?

Why are you being so hesitant and negative?

That was hesitant and negative?! :shock:

PlayerRep said:
ilovethecats said:

Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt, he is going to kick ass.
That'd be awesome! I'm leaning more to that than the alternative but I know nothing about the guy. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
ilovethecats said:

You seriously don’t see anyyyy red flags? None? 25%? Rez ball? Holy shit, you might be more delusional with Battlle than you were with Momberg. The Battle signing is Sprinkle taking a gamble on a talented guy they hope they can get under control. What better year to do it when you can have some seniors take an extra year and then if Battle doesn’t work out, it won’t be the end of the world. I’m glad we didn’t sign Battle, as I think that so many better options are out there for a young team like ours building chemistry than a guy who shoots as much as Battle. It makes way more sense for the Cats, but it still is a gamble.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

You seriously don’t see anyyyy red flags? None? 25%? Rez ball? Holy shit, you might be more delusional with Battlle than you were with Momberg. The Battle signing is Sprinkle taking a gamble on a talented guy they hope they can get under control. What better year to do it when you can have some seniors take an extra year and then if Battle doesn’t work out, it won’t be the end of the world. I’m glad we didn’t sign Battle, as I think that so many better options are out there for a young team like ours building chemistry than a guy who shoots as much as Battle. It makes way more sense for the Cats, but it still is a gamble.

The kid has been too under control at UW. That as the problem. MSU doesn't need to get him under control. MSU needs to figure out how to use his talents better. Everyone says he's a terrific shooter, despite his weak stats at UW. He had some pretty big games at UW, against Pac-12 competition. Res ball is a positive. Every transfer has elements of risk. I know a lot more about Momberg than you. You are one who's delusional.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

The kid has been too under control at UW. That as the problem. MSU doesn't need to get him under control. MSU needs to figure out how to use his talents better. Everyone says he's a terrific shooter, despite his weak stats at UW. He had some pretty big games at UW, against Pac-12 competition. Res ball is a positive. Every transfer has elements of risk. I know a lot more about Momberg than you. You are one who's delusional.
College basketball is disciplined. In his role either off the bench or as the 4th or 5th option, he’s not going to have the freedom to take shots as if he’s the first option, which is a problem, because he does that anyways. You will never find a program that has no plays and no structure. He should be a pro street baller if he dislikes sets so much.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
College basketball is disciplined. In his role either off the bench or as the 4th or 5th option, he’s not going to have the freedom to take shots as if he’s the first option, which is a problem, because he does that anyways. You will never find a program that has no plays and no structure. He should be a pro street baller if he dislikes sets so much.

My guess is that he will be the first option when he's in the game. He didn't say he didn't like sets. He said they didn't have plays in high school. He also said he liked to do more than shoot. Sprinkle wouldn't waste a scholarship on him if he didn't think he could use.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

My guess is that he will be the first option when he's in the game. He didn't say he didn't like sets. He said they didn't have plays in high school. He also said he liked to do more than shoot. Sprinkle wouldn't waste a scholarship on him if he didn't think he could use.

Okay, it’s official. You’re an idiot. You do realize MSU has Bello, Adamu, and Bishop right? All 3 are more experienced and are proven D-1 contributors, with Bishop doing it at multiple schools. If Battle isn’t willing to take a back seat(pretty likely) he might be looking for another new spot next summer. But one thing is for sure, he has 0 chance of being the number one option next year. Zerooo. I don’t get how you think a guy who hasn’t proven anything will come in and be better than all conference guys. Truly delusional. And answer me this, you seriously don’t see ANY red flags?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Okay, it’s official. You’re an idiot. You do realize MSU has Bello, Adamu, and Bishop right? All 3 are more experienced and are proven D-1 contributors, with Bishop doing it at multiple schools. If Battle isn’t willing to take a back seat(pretty likely) he might be looking for another new spot next summer. But one thing is for sure, he has 0 chance of being the number one option next year. Zerooo. I don’t get how you think a guy who hasn’t proven anything will come in and be better than all conference guys. Truly delusional. And answer me this, you seriously don’t see ANY red flags?

Which one of those MSU players was ranked nos. 71 and 90 by Rivals and ESPN and was a 4 star recruit. No red flags. Just minor things that he and Sprinkle have surely already discussed. Do you think Sprinkle is an idiot and delusional too?

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

Which one of those MSU players was ranked nos. 71 and 90 by Rivals and ESPN and was a 4 star recruit. No red flags. Just minor things that he and Sprinkle have surely already discussed. Do you think Sprinkle is an idiot and delusional too?
No, Sprinkle knows he is taking a risk. You apparently don’t. By the way, high school rankings don’t mean shit. How many non top 100 recruits were above him at UW?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
No, Sprinkle knows he is taking a risk. You apparently don’t. By the way, high school rankings don’t mean shit. How many non top 100 recruits were above him at UW?

You have shown that you don't know what you're talking about. You are basically calling Sprinkle an idiot. That's a telltale sign that you are clueless about basketball. Another never played the gamer.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

You have shown that you don't know what you're talking about. You are basically calling Sprinkle an idiot. That's a telltale sign that you are clueless about basketball. Another never played the gamer.

Where did I call him an idiot? Nice straw man. Acknowledging a signing may or may not work out is not a bad thing. You should try it sometime.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Where did I call him an idiot? Nice straw man. Acknowledging a signing may or may not work out is not a bad thing. You should try it sometime.

1. I did acknowledge that it may not work out. That's why I said this: " Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 am

"ilovethecats wrote: ↑Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am
PlayerRep wrote: ↑Thu May 06, 2021 11:22 am

Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt, he is going to kick ass."

2. You called me an idiot for being positive on the transfer and thinking the transfer had a good chance of being a terrific player for MSU, which is essentially what Sprinkle thinks and has said. Therefore, you must think he's an idiot too.

I really don't think that Sprinkle said to the transfer: "You can sit on the bench UW-Pac-12 or you can sit on the bench at MSU-Big Sky. Come to Bozeman. We'll get you a blue and gold cushion."

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

1. I did acknowledge that it may not work out. That's why I said this: " Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 am

2. You called me an idiot for being positive on the transfer and thinking the transfer had a good chance of being a terrific player for MSU, which is essentially what Sprinkle thinks and has said. Therefore, you must think he's an idiot too.

I really don't think that Sprinkle said to the transfer: "You can sit on the bench UW-Pac-12 or you can sit on the bench at MSU-Big Sky. Come to Bozeman. We'll get you a blue and gold cushion."
He also never said that he doesn't want to be coached, doesn't like sets, or insists on shooting every time as has been alluded to. There is literally next to zero risk for the Cats with this signing.

As I said before, if so many people on egriz know this much about the player, I can only assume Danny knows even more and has had talks about his expectations.

This will be an interesting one to come back to next season and beyond. I'm personally pretty excited about his arrival.

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

He also never said that he doesn't want to be coached, doesn't like sets, or insists on shooting every time as has been alluded to. There is literally next to zero risk for the Cats with this signing.

As I said before, if so many people on egriz know this much about the player, I can only assume Danny knows even more and has had talks about his expectations.

This will be an interesting one to come back to next season and beyond. I'm personally pretty excited about his arrival.
He never needed to say it. His game and the way he plays speak for him. Unless Sprinkle can change that, he won’t be successful. It’s as simple as that. And PR, you said “he’s going to kick ass”, and you doubt there was any possibility he’d fail. Once again, really? No red flags? If this move works it will pay huge dividends. But any other year where the Cats don’t have 3 or 4 5th year seniors, and this is a move Sprinkle likely wouldn’t make. Simple as that.

UMFan12 said:
ilovethecats said:

He never needed to say it. His game and the way he plays speak for him. Unless Sprinkle can change that, he won’t be successful. It’s as simple as that. And PR, you said “he’s going to kick ass”, and you doubt there was any possibility he’d fail. Once again, really? No red flags? If this move works it will pay huge dividends. But any other year where the Cats don’t have 3 or 4 5th year seniors, and this is a move Sprinkle likely wouldn’t make. Simple as that.

I will take Sprinkle's, my UW season ticket holder friend (whose dad was a college basketball head coach), and the Cat fan's views over yours on this one. Also, I don't think you would know what a Native American kid from the reservation is thinking.

I didn't say I doubt there is any possibility that the kid would fail. I said I doubt it will fail: "Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt,"

UMFan12 said:
ilovethecats said:

You seem to be a guy that knows hoops. I respect that. Then you should know that players can adjust their games all the time. I’ve seen guys completely evolve between their senior year of high school and senior year of college. Especially with good coaching and communication. He had neither at UW.

Time will tell I suppose.

ilovethecats said:
UMFan12 said:

You seem to be a guy that knows hoops. I respect that. Then you should know that players can adjust their games all the time. I’ve seen guys completely evolve between their senior year of high school and senior year of college. Especially with good coaching and communication. He had neither at UW.

Yes for sure, guys change their games and attitudes all the time. However, some players just aren’t willing to be coach able for whatever reason, and that seemed to be Battle at UW. Battle was not exclusive in this, as it was a total shit show, but regardless of how well Sprinkle coaches(I personally think he is already a top 3 coach in the league) this all lies on Battle and if he is willing to change his attitude. Looking at the situation at MSU, with this likely being the best year for MSU hoops in quite a while, having the leadership of the 5th year seniors, I think it’s a good move. That being said, I also don’t think anybody should ignore the possibility it doesn’t work.(PR)

UMFan12 said:
ilovethecats said:

Yes for sure, guys change their games and attitudes all the time. However, some players just aren’t willing to be coach able for whatever reason, and that seemed to be Battle at UW. Battle was not exclusive in this, as it was a total shit show, but regardless of how well Sprinkle coaches(I personally think he is already a top 3 coach in the league) this all lies on Battle and if he is willing to change his attitude. Looking at the situation at MSU, with this likely being the best year for MSU hoops in quite a while, having the leadership of the 5th year seniors, I think it’s a good move. That being said, I also don’t think anybody should ignore the possibility it doesn’t work.(PR)

Cats, I don't think 12 has a clue about basketball. Obviously, never played it. He makes statements that no one who played or understands the game would make. Just looks up stuff on internet and makes up stuff.

I see no evidence that the transfer isn't willing to be coached.

"But Sprinkle said the 6-foot-5 shooting guard comes with some “unbelievable” athleticism.

“He’s got to come here and be humble and continue to work. He sounds like he is,” Sprinkle said. “Everything he talked about was the team and what we have to do to win a championship. That really went a long way with me and what he’s looking for. I think he’ll be a great fit. He has elite talent.”

Sprinkle: "Unbelievable" athleticism". "Elite talent." "I think he’ll be a great fit." But 12 thinks he knows more than Tinkle and knows what's in the transfer's head. Using 12's term, 12 is an "idiot".

12, again, learn to read. I said: "Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt."

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

Cats, I don't think 12 has a clue about basketball. Obviously, never played it. He makes statements that no one who played or understands the game would make. Just looks up stuff on internet and makes up stuff.

I see no evidence that the transfer isn't willing to be coached.

"But Sprinkle said the 6-foot-5 shooting guard comes with some “unbelievable” athleticism.

“He’s got to come here and be humble and continue to work. He sounds like he is,” Sprinkle said. “Everything he talked about was the team and what we have to do to win a championship. That really went a long way with me and what he’s looking for. I think he’ll be a great fit. He has elite talent.”

Sprinkle: "Unbelievable" athleticism". "Elite talent." "I think he’ll be a great fit." But 12 thinks he knows more than Tinkle and knows what's in the transfer's head. Using 12's term, 12 is an "idiot".

12, again, learn to read. I said: "Unless it just doesn't work at all, which I doubt."

And yet again, you refer to what people SAY, and not what they DO. Everyone knows he’s an elite athlete. He just doesn’t have the discipline, mindset, or confidence to be an elite player. Could than change? Yes. Is it likely? Who knows. It depends on if he is willing to change his game. You did this same shit with Momberg. Blindly defending players as being better than they are.
Remember Satterwhite? He was an elite athlete as well...What caused him to leave? His mindset, inability to confront challenge and overcome adversity. Just being athletic is not enough. Clearly you aren’t much of an athlete yourself, or you’d know this.

Back