• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mont St. transfer from UW - RaeQuan Battle

PR, the Climbing Arrow is for sale. Go home. Trouble is, the Bozo Chicken Hawks are fading into oblivion. The natural order of the universe is restored and all their Cali kids can't wait to get out of Bozeangeles...even if they go play in Sanfranzoola...(just like you did back in the 60s...wait, you can never go home).

Somebody play Springsteen's Glory Days...

[*]
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PR, the Climbing Arrow is for sale. Go home. Trouble is, the Bozo Chicken Hawks are fading into oblivion. The natural order of the universe is restored and all their Cali kids can't wait to get out of Bozeangeles...even if they go play in Sanfranzoola...(just like you did back in the 60s...wait, you can never go home).

I don't know the ranch, but I met the owner Buck Anderson a few times years ago. He was on the Bridger Bowl Ski Area board with my uncle.

PlayerRep said:
[*]
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

I don't know the ranch, but I met the owner Buck Anderson a few times years ago. He was on the Bridger Bowl Ski Area board with my uncle.

You keep dropping names like your uncle's buddy Buck Anderson and I just might start being impressed! :roll:

PlayerRep said:
[*]
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

The whole area has (or is) changing ownership. Hell, the Bozeangeles airport in Belgrade is now Montana's busiest airport and I keep waiting for the filthy rich bastards to tire of the drive up the canyon and do like they did in Jackson, Wyoming with their airport. Ennis is only 15 miles from Lone Peak. Who the hell cares at this point in life? Even Horace Morgan's kids are turning his ranch into a damn dude ranch like Buck had or the 320 up the canyon.

Great book out right now by some Wyoming kid who teaches at one of the schools in the conference you got your bachelors from that basically states the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Jackson and Jackson Hole and they're going over into the Big Horn Basin and the area around Sheridan, Story and Buffalo.

Christ, the transplants in the Gallatin are even driving all the way over to Fort Peck just to catch walleye and smallmouth. Poplar is now nicer and a hell of a lot cleaner than Polson or Bigfork were when we were kids, not to mention what Columbia Falls was. (Mr. Ruis has transformed that town all by himself and his bank account dwarfs the majority of the Whitefish 'rich' transplants. He's a high school dropout, and proud of his pedigree...ha!).

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
I think PR saw "Tulalip Reservation" and "Indian tournaments" and decided the Cats' recruiting of the kid was further proof that Brian Holsinger doesn't like Native Americans. "My sources" tell me PR is thinking of getting MSU Men's season tickets next year so he can watch a "native" play for a Montana university. He also might pick up the new Frontier Conference roving season ticket deal that allows you to go to any Frontier game. That way he can watch some of the "Lady Griz Cut" models he was ogling over downtown a couple weeks ago before the massacre.

Yup, I like the NA kids and res ball. My guess is that this kid is going to be a big player in the Big Sky, if Sprinkle and he can make it work. He's 6'5" and athletic and can supposedly shoot long and mid-range, and get to the hoop. He accepted coaching, and just shooting, at UW, but ended up not shooting well and not being happy.

A lot of UM fans wish the Griz had bigger guards and that DeCuire would open up the offense and let the kids run more. Who on the Griz is going to be able to guard this kid?

I eventually grew up watching the Cats play hoops. Kermit Young, Gillespie, Storm, Warren Daniels, Brent Wilson. Hashley, Domako. etc. I got to play intramural ball with Gillespie and then Wilson in Great Falls. Huge fun. Great guys. I see that Brent died a few months ago.

Mouse, I had eye surgery recently and can't see very well yet. Please continue to proofread for me. My normal proofreaders advised me some time ago that I could save some money by having you do my proofreading instead of them. They also found it interesting that you suggested that I should get a life, when you seem to spend much of yours proofreading my posts on egriz.

Just Improves the rivalry - should be a FUN few years coming up!!!!!!

Dillon said:
PlayerRep said:
Yup, I like the NA kids and res ball. My guess is that this kid is going to be a big player in the Big Sky, if Sprinkle and he can make it work. He's 6'5" and athletic and can supposedly shoot long and mid-range, and get to the hoop. He accepted coaching, and just shooting, at UW, but ended up not shooting well and not being happy.

A lot of UM fans wish the Griz had bigger guards and that DeCuire would open up the offense and let the kids run more. Who on the Griz is going to be able to guard this kid?

I eventually grew up watching the Cats play hoops. Kermit Young, Gillespie, Storm, Warren Daniels, Brent Wilson. Hashley, Domako. etc. I got to play intramural ball with Gillespie and then Wilson in Great Falls. Huge fun. Great guys. I see that Brent died a few months ago.

Mouse, I had eye surgery recently and can't see very well yet. Please continue to proofread for me. My normal proofreaders advised me some time ago that I could save some money by having you do my proofreading instead of them. They also found it interesting that you suggested that I should get a life, when you seem to spend much of yours proofreading my posts on egriz.

I agree.

As a Cat fan I'm very excited for this pickup. Not because I think it's a given he'll be a star in the Big Sky. But because of the POTENTIAL he could be a star in the Big Sky. He was a 4-star kid out of high school. He was a top 100 player by every ranking service, including as high as #70 by Rivals. Teams like MSU just don't get these kids out of high school.

His numbers at UW weren't good. But almost no players numbers at UW were good. Their program is a train wreck right now. Their head coach reminds me of coach Fish at MSU. Players seem miserable, and they are leaving in droves. I read an article when we got Battle that said UW was down to FIVE players on their roster. Obviously they have picked up some guys since.

Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. That's why sports are so great. But I don't see how this can't be looked at as a great signing by the Cats. High reward, almost zero risk.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
I think PR saw "Tulalip Reservation" and "Indian tournaments" and decided the Cats' recruiting of the kid was further proof that Brian Holsinger doesn't like Native Americans. "My sources" tell me PR is thinking of getting MSU Men's season tickets next year so he can watch a "native" play for a Montana university. He also might pick up the new Frontier Conference roving season ticket deal that allows you to go to any Frontier game. That way he can watch some of the "Lady Griz Cut" models he was ogling over downtown a couple weeks ago before the massacre.

“Who on UM is going to guard him”. Ummmmm.....Helllooooo? The dude who LITERALLY just signed. :roll:

ilovethecats said:
Dillon said:

I agree.

As a Cat fan I'm very excited for this pickup. Not because I think it's a given he'll be a star in the Big Sky. But because of the POTENTIAL he could be a star in the Big Sky. He was a 4-star kid out of high school. He was a top 100 player by every ranking service, including as high as #70 by Rivals. Teams like MSU just don't get these kids out of high school.

His numbers at UW weren't good. But almost no players numbers at UW were good. Their program is a train wreck right now. Their head coach reminds me of coach Fish at MSU. Players seem miserable, and they are leaving in droves. I read an article when we got Battle that said UW was down to FIVE players on their roster. Obviously they have picked up some guys since.

Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. That's why sports are so great. But I don't see how this can't be looked at as a great signing by the Cats. High reward, almost zero risk.

I agree there's little risk, other than any negative impact he has in the locker room. If he can find his stroke, he'll be a good addition. I don't think he'll ever be great because I don't think he'll learn to conform to the style of basketball which needs to be played at the DI level (sets, defending, etc).

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

“Who on UM is going to guard him”. Ummmmm.....Helllooooo? The dude who LITERALLY just signed. :roll:

Or Martin Jr.? Or nobody when he flames out of MSU academically. If he doesn't like coaching, I doubt he's big fan of professors.

Mousegriz said:
UMFan12 said:

Or Martin Jr.? Or nobody when he flames out of MSU academically. If he doesn't like coaching, I doubt he's big fan of professors.

Where was it said that he didn't like coaching? I thought it was more that he didn't like a structured offense, because it limited what he could do. He liked to go hard, i.e. res ball. I didn't detect any friction with the coach, in the article. I didn't look beyond that.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Where was it said that he didn't like coaching? I thought it was more that he didn't like a structured offense, because it limited what he could do. He liked to go hard, i.e. res ball. I didn't detect any friction with the coach, in the article. I didn't look beyond that.

It wasn't. He said he likes to play fast and not be coached every possession. Like 99% of people who have ever played basketball. You find me a coach that wants to coach every single possession of a game and I'll find you a coach that won't retain players. Like University of Washington who just lost about their entire team.

I also never heard anything about him being a poor student like someone mentioned above either. Or being a cancer in the locker room like EG said but I admit he has a way better pulse on that program than I do. Other than players leaving in droves I know nothing about UW basketball.

Other than players leaving in droves I know nothing about UW basketball.

Oh, it's a shitshow, top to bottom.

The huskies had 11 very good basketball players. The problem is that all 11 were playing their own game, and none more so than Battle. That's difficult -- and not in the good way -- in a team sport.

That said, I readily admit he has great talent, and if he learns to play in a structured manner, he'll be a good bsc player. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will, or is even willing.

Mousegriz said:
UMFan12 said:

Isn't the University of Washington one of the best public schools in the country?

LittleBear said:
Mousegriz said:

Isn't the University of Washington one of the best public schools in the country?

In the country? No. Pacific northwest? Top 10 maybe.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
LittleBear said:

All my friends from Washington always gave that excuse as to why they were at UM instead of UW :lol:
US News does have UW tied for 19th in their ranking for best public colleges in the country...whatever that means.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-washington-3798/overall-rankings

All this to say I have no vested interest in Battle or the Cats whatsoever but I do think he's an elite talent, which we all know doesn't always equate to production. I think it's fair to question his discipline, his ability to defend (since UW plays exclusively zone), or his ability to turn his potential into tangible/efficient numbers...maybe not his intellect since his previous school was much more rigorous than any school within Montana's borders tho. I think we can all agree that his pure athleticism would be conveyed a lot differently if he was going to be wearing maroon.

LittleBear said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

All my friends from Washington always gave that excuse as to why they were at UM instead of UW :lol:
US News does have UW tied for 19th in their ranking for best public colleges in the country...whatever that means.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-washington-3798/overall-rankings

All this to say I have no vested interest in Battle or the Cats whatsoever but I do think he's an elite talent, which we all know doesn't always equate to production. I think it's fair to question his discipline, his ability to defend (since UW plays exclusively zone), or his ability to turn his potential into tangible/efficient numbers...maybe not his intellect since his previous school was much more rigorous than any school within Montana's borders tho. I think we can all agree that his pure athleticism would be conveyed a lot differently if he was going to be wearing maroon.
Whether one likes it or not, the School of Journalism at the University of Montana is always a top 10 school in this country. It always will be no matter who the morons the politicians in this state put on the Board of Regents such as Sheila Stearns. I seriously doubt that UW is more "rigorous" than either of our flagship universities nor would any of their programs compare to Montana Tech. Nope. Screw Washington. And flush twice. Washington needs the water.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
LittleBear said:

Whether one likes it or not, the School of Journalism at the University of Montana is always a top 10 school in this country. It always will be no matter who the morons the politicians in this state put on the Board of Regents such as Sheila Stearns. I seriously doubt that UW is more "rigorous" than either of our flagship universities nor would any of their programs compare to Montana Tech. Nope. Screw Washington. And flush twice. Washington needs the water.

Ya!! Screw Washington!! Terrible seafood!! Huskies=bad dogs!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

EverettGriz said:
Other than players leaving in droves I know nothing about UW basketball.

The huskies had 11 very good basketball players. The problem is that all 11 were playing their own game, and none more so than Battle. That's difficult -- and not in the good way -- in a team sport.

That said, I readily admit he has great talent, and if he learns to play in a structured manner, he'll be a good bsc player. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will, or is even willing.

Guess that will be the million dollar question.

I'll admit my take on this is different because first, I'm obviously a Cat fan. I'm biased. So I look at this signing and of course only think about the positive possibilities.

But second, I have a LOT of faith in Sprinkle. I've known him since high school, and I think he's the man for the job. His guys LOVE playing for him, which based on everything I have read is the exact opposite of the kids at Washington. I think he does an excellent job of showing "tough love" to his guys, very much the same as your own head coach. He's gonna get on ya a lot during a game, (not every single second of every minute with no positive re-enforcement like Fish did) but will be the first to build you up and congratulate you for great play. His communication with players is excellent, so I have no doubt that Battle knows exactly what is expected of him at this very moment.

As I said earlier though, who knows. You guys could be right and he could be a cancer in the locker room and unwilling to be coached. But I think if so many people on a message board know this much about a kid, then the coaches who have actually been talking to him know even more. Sprinks wouldn't bring in a guy who he knew wasn't willing to put in the work and be coached up.

Lastly, sometimes there is just something about a change of scenery that re-energizes a player. He was a 4-star kid highly recruited in high school. Signed Pac12 and maybe had an ego? I have no idea. Combine that with a lousy team and a coach you don't like and it spells trouble. I'm hoping a change of scenery and new staff can bring out the best in him. But who knows?

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

Guess that will be the million dollar question.

I'll admit my take on this is different because first, I'm obviously a Cat fan. I'm biased. So I look at this signing and of course only think about the positive possibilities.

But second, I have a LOT of faith in Sprinkle. I've known him since high school, and I think he's the man for the job. His guys LOVE playing for him, which based on everything I have read is the exact opposite of the kids at Washington. I think he does an excellent job of showing "tough love" to his guys, very much the same as your own head coach. He's gonna get on ya a lot during a game, (not every single second of every minute with no positive re-enforcement like Fish did) but will be the first to build you up and congratulate you for great play. His communication with players is excellent, so I have no doubt that Battle knows exactly what is expected of him at this very moment.

As I said earlier though, who knows. You guys could be right and he could be a cancer in the locker room and unwilling to be coached. But I think if so many people on a message board know this much about a kid, then the coaches who have actually been talking to him know even more. Sprinks wouldn't bring in a guy who he knew wasn't willing to put in the work and be coached up.

Lastly, sometimes there is just something about a change of scenery that re-energizes a player. He was a 4-star kid highly recruited in high school. Signed Pac12 and maybe had an ego? I have no idea. Combine that with a lousy team and a coach you don't like and it spells trouble. I'm hoping a change of scenery and new staff can bring out the best in him. But who knows?

Why are you being so hesitant and negative?

Back