• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McGhee New Recruiting Coordinator at MSU

Ursus1 said:
They just added at 300pound DT drop down from UW, so there is that.

Can or should I say will he do up downs? Seems like UW transfers to the cats hate those things.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursus1 said:

Can or should I say will he do up downs? Seems like UW transfers to the cats hate those things.

Or he may end up like Bryce sterk, another drop down from udub who had a major impact in the last game at Montana. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursus1 said:

Was that one of the Montana State Bobcat players who was also a drug dealer? I remember the hilarious video, but can’t remember if he was one of the Montana State Bobcat players who was caught dealing drugs.

Ursus1 said:

That’s a good get for them. We could use one of those DT more. I wish the Griz would announce any transfers it’s all secret it seems.

VimSince03 said:
The reality is that Choate is betting his MSU tenure on Kane being better than Ty.
Holy F’n shit it’s even more chaotic than I thought. This explains a lot. Like TA being moved to D. Mr Chode finally found the perfect QB for his whacky O and he’s forced to move him to D to save his job. It’s like a Shakespearean tradegy.

garizzalies said:
VimSince03 said:
The reality is that Choate is betting his MSU tenure on Kane being better than Ty.
Holy F’n shit it’s even more chaotic than I thought. This explains a lot. Like TA being moved to D. Mr Chode finally found the perfect QB for his whacky O and he’s forced to move him to D to save his job. It’s like a Shakespearean tradegy.

Save his job? Where do you come up with this crazy stuff? Are you referring to the whacky O that he beat the Griz with three years in a row?

It seems like msu in fact is finding key players at key positions that need filled. UM desperately needs a big defensive lineman and experienced offensive lineman to compete this year. Maybe even two at each position. We have yet to see either. Not to mention a running back.

Go Griz!

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Ursus1 said:

Was that one of the Montana State Bobcat players who was also a drug dealer? I remember the hilarious video, but can’t remember if he was one of the Montana State Bobcat players who was caught dealing drugs.

Yes... It was. If you need a refresher course on each Program here it is

Montana State Bobcat Players-- Normally deals drugs or Murders in a field

University of Montana Players-- Normally fights behind Sports Bars, and raping women

;)

bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
VimSince03 said:

Save his job? Where do you come up with this crazy stuff? Are you referring to the whacky O that he beat the Griz with three years in a row?
Wha? I got it straight from the inimitable PeeStainSince03. I even separated his statement and you quoted it. Let me give you a hint: in some of the more advanced societies, the word “tenure” = “job.” Good lord some of you C.A.T.rolls are dumb AF. It’s like you guys are purposely playing dumb, but then I remember you’re way too stupid to pull that off. What did you think MellowYellowSince03 meant when he said Choach was betting his “tenure”? Did you think he was talking about Choaches’s “ten year” old cat?
And I’m talking about that embarrassing O you guys run. The one where you can never find an actual qb (after 5years?). The one where Taco Bell gives out a free Doritos Locos Taco if the QB completes two passes in a game. The one where you guys are the only team dumb enough to run the Triple option in the sloppy northwest. That one.

garizzalies said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
VimSince03 said:

Wha? I got it straight from the inimitable PeeStainSince03. I even separated his statement and you quoted it. Let me give you a hint: in some of the more advanced societies, the word “tenure” = “job.” Good lord some of you C.A.T.rolls are dumb AF. It’s like you guys are purposely playing dumb, but then I remember you’re way too stupid to pull that off. What did you think MellowYellowSince03 meant when he said Choach was betting his “tenure”? Did you think he was talking about Choaches’s “ten year” old cat?
And I’m talking about that embarrassing O you guys run. The one where you can never find an actual qb (after 5years?). The one where Taco Bell gives out a free Doritos Locos Taco if the QB completes two passes in a game. The one where you guys are the only team dumb enough to run the Triple option in the sloppy northwest. That one.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid, garizzlies?

garizzalies said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
VimSince03 said:

That offense got the Cats to the playoffs. Did the Griz offense get them to the playoffs?

Garriz, I have it on good authority the 'tenure' thing is Choate's 'Ten Year Plan' on keeping his job. :lol:

bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:

That offense got the Cats to the playoffs. Did the Griz offense get them to the playoffs?
It sure didn't. Yours did and your coach may be going away from that...for some reason. :?:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:
bigsky33 said:

It sure didn't. Yours did and your coach may be going away from that...for some reason. :?:

Ya, just getting to the playoffs isn't nearly good enough for what Choate is going to do.

garizzalies said:
VimSince03 said:

Stitt bet his job on a young DC to replace Ty and I can't even remember the guys name.

I hope we go away from whatever style of offense we've been running which involves a QB who is one of the best runners in the league (Murray, Andersen) but who can't pass to save his life.

But I also find it amusing that this style of offense rushed for a combined 919 yards in the last 3 Cat/Griz games, all victories, while only throwing for 293 total yards on 27 completions, throwing for exactly zero touchdown passes.

If that's an embarrassing offense, can't imagine what that says about your defense.

poorgriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:

Ya, just getting to the playoffs isn't nearly good enough for what Choate is going to do.

That is incorrect.
With his demonstrated ability to get to the playoffs 1/3 of the time and rack up a stunning 17 wins in a mere three seasons, Choach is right in the sweet spot in Bozeman. He has that fan base and community figured out, and will be the coach for many years. It's a freakin' case study, actually. Here's how he's done it thus far:

I. Introduction:
With a historically middling program like MSU, a new HC has an incredible opportunity to maximize his longevity. Fans, and more importantly, administrators, will show amazing patience if you can (a) Manage expectations, and (b) Always have a scapegoat.

II. Method
A. Managing Expectations:
-First, you must manage the expectations of the fans and administration. This begins from the first time you step on campus after accepting the offer. In every interview or press conference, the key is to indirectly trash the previous coach by indicating that the "dramatic change in program culture" will "take some time". It's critical to point only to intangible things at this stage. "Bringing the toughness back" and "Playing with discipline for a change" are two great lines. Do NOT be afraid of throwing in "hard-nosed" or "grit" whenever you can. These things allow you to differentiate yourself from the guy who got fired without directly saying he sucked (you cannot afford to alienate the ~25% of fans who liked the last guy and are skeptical of you at this stage), without actually doing anything at all.

Going into your first two seasons, you simply cannot afford to have a lot of early success. Your mantras are "baby steps" and "improve every day" and "something about the speed at which Rome was constructed". Remember, these are not "your guys". They are the last guy's guys. Going over .500 with them can set you up for later failure. You don't want to wake up in year 5 with all of "your guys" in place and do worse than you did with the last guy's guys. Winning too early is preemptive job suicide. If you have your first losing season in year 5 or later, you've failed to manage the expectations for a historically middling program, and will likely be shown the door. Remember the last guy? It's a delicate balance between making fans think their program IS elite, versus thinking that it WILL BE elite someday if they stick with you. You want the latter. Don't showboat in the first two years.

The great thing about your position at a historically middling program is you have the unique opportunity to secure the fan base's devotion by beating a rival who has dominated your program for decades. Do that, and all will be forgiven. You can point to that as "progress" without peaking too early. The state of the rival's program doesn't matter. Yours is a historically middling program, remember? Your fans are not used to beating the rival. Don't be surprised if you get offered an extension. Finally, schedule a can't-win game for year 4. More on that later.

By year 3, you've had a chance to install your "culture of toughness and passion", you've received your extension, so the fan base and administration will want to see some results. You have a good mix of your guys, and now would be the perfect time to have your first winning season. BUT, it's absolutely vital that you DO NOT to do too much at this stage. All you have to do is throw them a bone to show you're getting it. A gentleman's 7-4 will do nicely. You can take all the credit, and the fan base will believe you. Beating the rival in year 3 is not as important as it was the first two years, but it's a nice plus. Go 9-2 and make a deep run at this stage, and you dig your own grave. You could easily and unintentionally regress the next year, and it's curtains for you. Again, remember the last guy? To that end, If you can manufacture an overarching excuse to make the base believe you could've easily gone 9-2 "if only . . .", you're golden. A good way to achieve this is to make a defensive star play QB. You're the HC, he's your guy, and you make the decisions. This leads nicely to Always Have a Scapegoat.

B. Always Have a Scapegoat
You've done your job perfectly to this point. Congratulations! The upside, is the fan base is riled. The downside is the fan base is riled. But, you need a new Scapegoat. The last guy's damage to the program culture will no longer fly. Luckily for you, you bought some insurance last season that will come in very handy. Remember that defensive star you demanded play QB last season? Yeah, well, that gives you the Genesis of your season 4 Scapegoat; an oft overlooked building block to job longevity at a historically middling program.

With any luck at all, the DC will not have been too pleased that you took his best player on D and put him behind center all season in year 3. If you can have a few dust-ups behind closed doors, it will hopefully lead to the DC's departure. The reason will not be important. Whose decision it was will not be important. Your fans trust you now, so don't ever give away that it's a part of the plan. With the DC leaving, it will be a perfect time to shake-up the staff in the offseason between years 3 and 4. Maybe have 4 new coaches, have a large percentage of existing coaches change positions, and generally leak the notion of disarray that wasn't your fault. Now, you've purchased a full insurance policy for year 4, or, what we call in the biz: A Brand New Scapegoat. You still have to produce in year 4, but any step back can now be blamed on the coaching shake-up. The new coaches have to get used to their new roles, but that's not your fault. That can't-win game you scheduled way back when will come in handy here, as well. 5-7 or 6-6 will do nicely here. Remember, nobody will blame this setback on you.

III. Conclusion
Hopefully, by the end of year 4, you'll be set up nicely at your historically middling program. You still have time left on your contract extension. You've made sure the fan base and administration still believes in you because (a) you've managed their expectations, and (b) you've always maintained a scapegoat. Further, you haven't really had to do anything of note. Hell, you're still under .500 as a coach, and still going strong! You can start the "process" over to some extent now. Repeat this process as necessary. You've successfully laid the groundwork for your fans to believe this simple truth: Any step forward is to your credit, and any step back is not your fault. It's not a lie if the suckers believe it. Do this correctly, and you'll likely get a statue at the end of year 8 for being barely over .500 for your career. Good luck!

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
bigsky33 said:

That is incorrect.
With his demonstrated ability to get to the playoffs 1/3 of the time and rack up a stunning 17 wins in a mere three seasons, Choach is right in the sweet spot in Bozeman. He has that fan base and community figured out, and will be the coach for many years. It's a freakin' case study, actually. Here's how he's done it thus far:

I. Introduction:
With a historically middling program like MSU, a new HC has an incredible opportunity to maximize his longevity. Fans, and more importantly, administrators, will show amazing patience if you can (1) Manage expectations, and (2) Always have a scapegoat.

II. Method
-First, you must manage the expectations of the fans and administration. This begins from the first time you step on campus after accepting the offer. In every interview or press conference, the key is to indirectly trash the previous coach by indicating that the "dramatic change in program culture" will "take some time". It's critical to point only to intangible things at this stage. "Bringing the toughness back" and "Playing with discipline for a change" are two great lines. Do NOT be afraid of throwing in "hard-nosed" or "grit" whenever you can. These things allow you to differentiate yourself from the guy who got fired without directly saying he sucked (you cannot afford to alienate the ~25% of fans who liked the last guy and are skeptical of you at this stage), without actually doing anything at all.

Going into your first two seasons, you simply cannot afford to have a lot of early success. Your mantras are "baby steps" and "improve every day" and "something about the speed at which Rome was constructed". Remember, these are not "your guys". They are the last guy's guys. Going over .500 with them can set you up for later failure. You don't want to wake up in year 5 with all of "your guys" in place and do worse than you did with the last guy's guys. Winning too early is preemptive job suicide. If you have your first losing season in year 5 or later, you've failed to manage the expectations for a historically middling program, and will likely be shown the door. Remember the last guy? The great thing about your position at a historically middling program is you have the unique opportunity to secure the fan base's devotion by beating a rival who has dominated your program for decades. Do that, and all will be forgiven. You can point to that as "progress" without peaking too early. The state of the rival's program doesn't matter. Yours is a historically middling program, remember? Your fans are not used to beating the rival. Don't be surprised if you get offered an extension. Finally, schedule a can't-win game for year 4. More on that later.

By year 3, you've had a chance to install your "culture of toughness and passion", you've received your extension, so the fan base and administration will want to see some results. You have a good mix of your guys, and now would be the perfect time to have your first winning season. BUT, it's absolutely vital that you DO NOT to do too much at this stage. All you have to do is throw them a bone to show you're getting it. A gentleman's 7-4 will do nicely. You can take all the credit, and the fan base will believe you. Beating the rival in year 3 is not as important as it was the first two years, but it's a nice plus. Go 9-2 and make a deep run at this stage, and you dig your own grave. You could easily and unintentionally regress the next year, and it's curtains for you. Remember the last guy? To that end, If you can manufacture an overarching excuse to make the base believe you could've easily gone 9-2 "if only . . .", you're golden. A good way to achieve this is to make a defensive star play QB. You're the HC, he's your guy, and you make the decisions. This leads nicely to Always Have a Scapegoat.

You've done your job perfectly to this point. Congratulations! The upside, is the fan base is riled. The downside is the fan base is riled. But, you need a new Scapegoat. The last guy's damage to the program culture will no longer fly. Luckily for you, you bought some insurance last season that will come in very handy. Remember that defensive star you demanded play QB last season? Yeah, well, that gives you the Genesis of your season 4 Scapegoat; an oft overlooked building block to job longevity at a historically middling program.

With any luck at all, the DC will not have been too pleased that you took his best player on D and put him behind center all season in year 3. If you can have a few dust-ups behind closed doors, it will hopefully lead to the DC's departure. The reason will not be important. Whose decision it was will not be important. Your fans trust you now, so don't ever give away that it's a part of the plan. With the DC leaving, it will be a perfect time to shake-up the staff in the offseason between years 3 and 4. Maybe have 4 new coaches, have a large percentage of existing coaches change positions, and generally Now, you've purchased a full insurance policy for year 4, or, what we call in the biz: A Scapegoat. You still have to produce in year 4, but any step back can now be blamed on the coaching shake-up. The new coaches have to get used to their new roles, but that's not your fault. That can't-win game you scheduled way back when will come in handy here, as well. 5-7 or 6-6 will do nicely here. Remember, nobody will blame this setback on you.

III. Conclusion
Hopefully, by the end of year 4, you'll be set up nicely at your historically middling program. You still have time left on your contract extension. You've made sure the fan base and administration still believes in you because (a) you've managed their expectations, and (b) you've always maintained a scapegoat. Further, you haven't really had to do anything of note. Hell, you're still under .500 as a coach, and still going strong! You can start the "process" over to some extent now. Repeat this process as necessary. You've successfully laid the groundwork for your fans to believe this simple truth: Any step forward is to your credit, and any step back is not your fault. It's not a lie if the suckers believe it. Do this correctly, and you'll likely get a statue by being barely over .500. Good luck!

HOLY SHIT! POTY. :lol: :clap:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

That is incorrect.

I. Introduction:
With a historically middling program like MSU, a new HC has an incredible opportunity to maximize his longevity. Fans, and more importantly, administrators, will show amazing patience if you can (1) Manage expectations, and (2) Always have a scapegoat.

II. Method

Going into your first two seasons, you simply cannot afford to have a lot of early success. Your mantras are "baby steps" and "improve every day" and "something about the speed at which Rome was constructed". Remember, these are not "your guys". They are the last guy's guys. Going over .500 with them can set you up for later failure. You don't want to wake up in year 5 with all of "your guys" in place and do worse than you did with the last guy's guys. Winning too early is preemptive job suicide. If you have your first losing season in year 5 or later, you've failed to manage the expectations for a historically middling program, and will likely be shown the door. Remember the last guy? The great thing about your position at a historically middling program is you have the unique opportunity to secure the fan base's devotion by beating a rival who has dominated your program for decades. Do that, and all will be forgiven. You can point to that as "progress" without peaking too early. The state of the rival's program doesn't matter. Yours is a historically middling program, remember? Your fans are not used to beating the rival. Don't be surprised if you get offered an extension. Finally, schedule a can't-win game for year 4. More on that later.

By year 3, you've had a chance to install your "culture of toughness and passion", you've received your extension, so the fan base and administration will want to see some results. You have a good mix of your guys, and now would be the perfect time to have your first winning season. BUT, it's absolutely vital that you DO NOT to do too much at this stage. All you have to do is throw them a bone to show you're getting it. A gentleman's 7-4 will do nicely. You can take all the credit, and the fan base will believe you. Beating the rival in year 3 is not as important as it was the first two years, but it's a nice plus. Go 9-2 and make a deep run at this stage, and you dig your own grave. You could easily and unintentionally regress the next year, and it's curtains for you. Remember the last guy? To that end, If you can manufacture an overarching excuse to make the base believe you could've easily gone 9-2 "if only . . .", you're golden. A good way to achieve this is to make a defensive star play QB. You're the HC, he's your guy, and you make the decisions. This leads nicely to Always Have a Scapegoat.

With any luck at all, the DC will not have been too pleased that you took his best player on D and put him behind center all season in year 3. If you can have a few dust-ups behind closed doors, it will hopefully lead to the DC's departure. The reason will not be important. Whose decision it was will not be important. Your fans trust you now, so don't ever give away that it's a part of the plan. With the DC leaving, it will be a perfect time to shake-up the staff in the offseason between years 3 and 4. Maybe have 4 new coaches, have a large percentage of existing coaches change positions, and generally Now, you've purchased a full insurance policy for year 4, or, what we call in the biz: A Scapegoat. You still have to produce in year 4, but any step back can now be blamed on the coaching shake-up. The new coaches have to get used to their new roles, but that's not your fault. That can't-win game you scheduled way back when will come in handy here, as well. 5-7 or 6-6 will do nicely here. Remember, nobody will blame this setback on you.

III. Conclusion
Hopefully, by the end of year 4, you'll be set up nicely at your historically middling program. You still have time left on your contract extension. You've made sure the fan base and administration still believes in you because (a) you've managed their expectations, and (b) you've always maintained a scapegoat. Further, you haven't really had to do anything of note. Hell, you're still under .500 as a coach, and still going strong! You can start the "process" over to some extent now. Repeat this process as necessary. You've successfully laid the groundwork for your fans to believe this simple truth: Any step forward is to your credit, and any step back is not your fault. It's not a lie if the suckers believe it. Do this correctly, and you'll likely get a statue by being barely over .500. Good luck!

HOLY SHIT! POTY. :lol: :clap:

This might be the best post ever placed in the interwebs. Wow. POTY.

Back