• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McGhee New Recruiting Coordinator at MSU

VimSince03 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
IDK who Josh is, but I hate to hear about anyone having to go through that. Sincere Ts and Ps.

MSU has had quite the shakeup in the staff this offseason. It'll definitely buy Choach a few more years of "process".

To recap since mid-October 2018 (in order):

OC/QB Coach Bob Cole - relieved of duties in late October and Co-OC Brian Armstrong gets demoted to TE coach (Matt Miller takes over and Bobcats finish season strong).

DC Ty Gregorak - resigned in early January (obviously both boards "covered" the rumors that flew around this one plenty).

CB Coach Mark Orphey - interviewed in late December 2018 and got CB coach job at Utah State.

Kane Ioane, Bobby Daly, and Eric Frazier (WRs/Pass Game Coordinator) join staff and Safety coach Kyle Risinger moves to CB coach to make up for departure of Ty/Orphey and position move of Miller.

Matt Miller gives away recruiting coordinator duties to OL coach Josh Tuafalele.

Pre-spring ball, Tuafalele and Brian Armstrong flip position units as Josh goes to TE's and Brian back to OL.

Post-spring ball, Tuafalele resigns from coaching to take care of his wife and family after the life altering 5 months they had.

Former Boise State HOFer and AZ Cardinal Nate Potter joins staff as TE coach.

Denarius takes over recruiting coordinator duties.

So in total, 4 new coaches (Kane is kind of not new to some of the upper-classmen on the team). The Bob Cole move was obviously a positive as the offense started using the sum of its parts in a much more beneficial way. Orphey got a chance to step up to the FBS level and took it. Ty Gregorak departing and Kane taking over will obviously be a talking point for the foreseeable future. Adding Bobby Daly as an experienced LB coach is phenomenal. Then adding two young coaches in Frazier and Potter rounds everything out. The only move that could be considered "chaotic" from a Griz fan board perspective is the Gregorak for Kane move. Jeff did not want to lose Josh but family comes first.

Vim - you crafted 9 or 10 bullet points related to coaching changes or adjustments. Seriously...is that not many? A bunch? A shit-ton? Chaotic?

How many changes or adjustments is chaotic?

SoldierGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
IDK who Josh is, but I hate to hear about anyone having to go through that. Sincere Ts and Ps.

MSU has had quite the shakeup in the staff this offseason. It'll definitely buy Choach a few more years of "process".

OC/QB Coach Bob Cole - relieved of duties in late October and Co-OC Brian Armstrong gets demoted to TE coach (Matt Miller takes over and Bobcats finish season strong).

DC Ty Gregorak - resigned in early January (obviously both boards "covered" the rumors that flew around this one plenty).

CB Coach Mark Orphey - interviewed in late December 2018 and got CB coach job at Utah State.

Kane Ioane, Bobby Daly, and Eric Frazier (WRs/Pass Game Coordinator) join staff and Safety coach Kyle Risinger moves to CB coach to make up for departure of Ty/Orphey and position move of Miller.

Matt Miller gives away recruiting coordinator duties to OL coach Josh Tuafalele.

Pre-spring ball, Tuafalele and Brian Armstrong flip position units as Josh goes to TE's and Brian back to OL.

Post-spring ball, Tuafalele resigns from coaching to take care of his wife and family after the life altering 5 months they had.

So in total, 4 new coaches (Kane is kind of not new to some of the upper-classmen on the team). The Bob Cole move was obviously a positive as the offense started using the sum of its parts in a much more beneficial way. Orphey got a chance to step up to the FBS level and took it. Ty Gregorak departing and Kane taking over will obviously be a talking point for the foreseeable future. Adding Bobby Daly as an experienced LB coach is phenomenal. Then adding two young coaches in Frazier and Potter rounds everything out. The only move that could be considered "chaotic" from a Griz fan board perspective is the Gregorak for Kane move. Jeff did not want to lose Josh but family comes first.

Vim - you crafted 9 or 10 bullet points related to coaching changes or adjustments. Seriously...is that not many? A bunch? A shit-ton? Chaotic?

No, no, no. This is actually a good thing for State College. Most recruits and current players like to see this kind of shake-up. In the distant past, many might call this kind of turnover "staff instability", but the reality is the modern recruit/player doesn't care if the coach who recruited him or the assistant coach with whom he developed a relationship is no longer in that position. I mean, name a player who has ever been disenchanted by the departure of reassignment of a coach he liked. This is a sign of progress and process, and is a true net-positive for Bozeman.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No, no, no. This is actually a good thing for State College. Most recruits and current players like to see this kind of shake-up. In the distant past, many might call this kind of turnover "staff instability", but the reality is the modern recruit/player doesn't care if the coach who recruited him or the assistant coach with whom he developed a relationship is no longer in that position. I mean, name a player who has ever been disenchanted by the departure of reassignment of a coach he liked. This is a sign of progress and process, and is a true net-positive for Bozeman.

I was thinking the same thing, CDA. If the Griz were chewing through coaches like that, I can only think of one, maybe two egrizzers who would think it was a sign of improvement.

If the Cat cheer squad is looking for their smoke machine, I'm sending them Vim's way.

Catsrgrood said:
garizzalies said:
Catsrgrood said:
garizzalies said:
Is it just me, or have the C.A.T.S. had a very chaotic offseason for the coaching staff? Choach-speak aside, it seems like a mess. About half the staff, including both coordinators from opening day, are gone, right? Is Choach the only choach to have the same position from this time last year? Sounds like he’s losing the locker room and the admin shed.

Maybe check out the gofundme page about this coaches situation before acting like a dick. This is 100% a personal situation and not related to coaching/disagreements among staff, etc. Despite what you want to believe, it’s not as chaotic as you like to let on.
Who’s acting like a dick?
I had no idea his family was involved, and don’t research C.A.T. shit, but regardless, I was not commenting on his particular situation, rather the staff as a whole. Learn to read. The joke was on Choach, not this guy. My 2 questions, which you conveniently ignored, are legit and raise concerns. From the perspective of a Griz fan (on a Griz board, mind you), the off-season seems to have been chaotic no matter the underlying circumstances. Almost 100% turnover from one year to the next seems like a mess to me (not this guy’s personal situation). “Despite what you want to believe,” you’re the one implying shit. So f*** you very much

I know there is no reasoning with you, you have a persona to maintain here.

You said you had no idea his family was involved... that’s my point, before you say “what a mess” this is, take 30 seconds to see if there is any info out there as to why this is happening. The info was there, learn to read, as you put it.

As to your “legit” question; almost 100% turnover? Not sure what math you’re using, but that’s a bit off.

-Cole was released mid season last year- good move, the offense was better after that.

This offseason the cornerback coach moved up to the same job at Utah, nothing wrong with that.

Gregorak was basically let go for performance reasons- you can debate that one, as egriz already has, but it was certainly not even close to what was being rumored.

And now Josh is gone for a horrible reason out of everyone’s control.

That’s 4 coaches dating back to mid season that are gone.

4 out of what, 10 coaches?
Give me a minute......

I think that’s about 40%.

You implied it’s chaos in Bozeman, you implied he had lost the locker room and that’s the reason for the near 100% coaching turnover from last year.

Don’t be an idiot.
So you (a C.A.T. person) believe I have a persona preventing me from researching C.A.T. stuff before posting on a Griz board? JFC man, do you really not see how crazy you sound? You jumped me—when you haven’t proven anything I wrote was wrong. Read it again, slowly this time. It’s the same shit you wrote without the bullshit explanations.

And not one C.A.T.roll has answered my original question: is Choach the only returning choach to have the same position? 1 out of 10 is 90%. Almost 100. Like I said. Holy 🐈 💩. I knew they can’t read good but ain’t they supposta be good at math.

Yes, as not objective outsiders, these coaching changes I agree would look chaotic. However when you look at Vim's objective post, I don't see any chaos. What emerged during spring ball was a very cohesive, strengthened coaching staff. I have talked to a few players and they are very happy with their coaches. I have not heard any negativity. This post was originally about Denarius McGhee becoming the recruiting coordinator. Knowing Denarius, he will be excellent in that role. The Cats are well positioned going into next season. I know it makes you egrizzers, that are always posting on here, feel better when you can twist around something to make the Cat's look bad. If it makes you feel better, so be it. I guess the proof will be what happens in the fall.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Good post. I agree completely. Exciting time with this program right now. :clap:

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
VimSince03 said:

Good post. I agree completely. Exciting time with this program right now. :clap:

Yes, totally agree. Pull down the blinders folks, there is nothing here to see. All these changes are perfectly explainable and nothing is the least bit unusual. Now sit back, relax and enjoy the upcoming QB show which is about to be unleashed!

Meanwhile, UM has exactly zero coaching changes in football for 2019. Hmmm...

go96griz said:
ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Yes, totally agree. Pull down the blinders folks, there is nothing here to see. All these changes are perfectly explainable and nothing is the least bit unusual. Now sit back, relax and enjoy the upcoming QB show which is about to be unleashed!

That could be good for you guys too!

Agree with the qb battle though. It will be interesting to see who pulls away. With Troy playing D where he should, and Murray being done I can't wait to see who steps up.

I don't blame you guys for being excited though. Maybe no new coaches means instant success for you. Time will tell!

ilovethecats said:
go96griz said:
ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

That could be good for you guys too!

Agree with the qb battle though. It will be interesting to see who pulls away. With Troy playing D where he should, and Murray being done I can't wait to see who steps up.

I don't blame you guys for being excited though. Maybe no new coaches means instant success for you. Time will tell!

What is the Murray update?

Gregorak’s departure was and is not a positive. Slice it any damn way you want. Not good. KI will be a good coach eventually. Emphasis on eventually.

Copper Griz said:
Gregorak’s departure was and is not a positive. Slice it any damn way you want. Not good. KI will be a good coach eventually. Emphasis on eventually.
I’m pretty sure KI was the reason Ash got fired in 2015. I’m sure he will be better this time after being at UW for 2 years but as of right now I don’t think he is better than Gregorak. We’ll see. He may end up being better, but going off of what we’ve seen it think Gregorak better.

Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:
I’m pretty sure KI was the reason Ash got fired in 2015. I’m sure he will be better this time after being at UW for 2 years but as of right now I don’t think he is better than Gregorak. We’ll see. He may end up being better, but going off of what we’ve seen it think Gregorak better.

Of the reasons they finally decided to part ways with Ash I'm not sure Kane would crack the top 10.

Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:

Very false on many counts. Jamie Marshall was about 98% in charge of that defense. Kane got to call about a 1/4 of one game (the Idaho State game I do believe) that year. Saying Kane Ioane was the sole reason Rob Ash got fired in 2015 is about as uninformed a statement anyone can make who has followed Big Sky football. Rob Ash got fired because he lost control of the culture of his program....plain and simple.

Anyway, like Ty, Kane was an exceptional LB coach who always developed All-Big Sky talent year in and year out. Ty comes on board, Kane goes to UW to learn the style of defense Choate wants to run, Ty & Choate part ways (again, believe what you want here...its your right), and Kane comes back ready to prove himself.

Where I will agree with all of you is the fact Kane has yet to prove anything as a coordinator. Blank slate. The reality is that Choate is betting his MSU tenure on Kane being better than Ty. Can't argue that in my opinion.

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:

Very false on many counts. Jamie Marshall was about 98% in charge of that defense. Kane got to call about a 1/4 of one game (the Idaho State game I do believe) that year. Saying Kane Ioane was the sole reason Rob Ash got fired in 2015 is about as uninformed a statement anyone can make who has followed Big Sky football. Rob Ash got fired because he lost control of the culture of his program....plain and simple.

Anyway, like Ty, Kane was an exceptional LB coach who always developed All-Big Sky talent year in and year out. Ty comes on board, Kane goes to UW to learn the style of defense Choate wants to run, Ty & Choate part ways (again, believe what you want here...its your right), and Kane comes back ready to prove himself.

Where I will agree with all of you is the fact Kane has yet to prove anything as a coordinator. Blank slate. The reality is that Choate is betting his MSU tenure on Kane being better than Ty. Can't argue that in my opinion.

Vim you are a damn good poster and about as neutral a poster as can be for a Cat fan. (Maybe as a fan in general). I value your posts and don’t disagree with your statements. My only point -‘I would be worried if the Griz had a fairly green DC and BH was betting his tenure on him. It may work out,
but experience is important. Especially come crunch time. I think KI will be one hell of a coach eventually. Just not sure it will be in 2019. I can’t root against the kid. Painful as a Griz. Wish him the best.

Copper Griz said:
VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:

Vim you are a damn good poster and about as neutral a poster as can be for a Cat fan. (Maybe as a fan in general). I value your posts and don’t disagree with your statements. My only point -‘I would be worried if the Griz had a fairly green DC and BH was betting his tenure on him. It may work out,
but experience is important. Especially come crunch time. I think KI will be one hell of a coach eventually. Just not sure it will be in 2019. I can’t root against the kid. Painful as a Griz. Wish him the best.

Totally agree. If a Bobcat fan isn't at least a little concerned about the level of risk of replacing an experienced DC with a rookie one with going from "good to great" as the justification, they are likely lying.

Me, visiting egriz for one of the handful of times this year, seeing this thread:

giphy.gif

ilovethecats said:
Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:

Of the reasons they finally decided to part ways with Ash I'm not sure Kane would crack the top 10.

Can you name 7 reasons not involving Ioanee why they parted ways with the winningest coach in about 50 years of program history, winner of half of the program's conference titles since 1984, the coach with more FCS Playoff appearances than any coach in program history, after his one and only losing season (both conference and overall)?

EDIT: I know you can name some "reasons", but there are always "reasons" and THE reason. I think we all know THE reason, but, understandably, nobody in Bozeman wants to admit it.

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:
Copper Griz said:

I remember seeing something about this. You're not one of these dullards who think this whole "Go away to UW and learn my defense instead of staying here and learning my defense from me" was all in Choach's grand master plan, are you? You can't be.

Those people crack me up. What would Choach say, "Hey, I hope you do great, but not too great such that you get promoted at UW, because I want to bring you back to be Ty's replacement at this here Universterty."?

this is what i know for sure...new o/c and d/c.......anyone who has ever been a regional or district manager of a company will tell you that turn over catches the eye of your superior (a/d, president).....why ?...it is never seamless......there is always a learning curve in a new job and for the people who report to you.... i am a griz fan first but know the ione family and i believe k/i to be top drawer......
go griz!

Latest posts

Back