• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mayhue into the transfer portal

TrueGriz said:
Putting your name in the transfer portal just opens yourself up for more options. Staying at UM is still an option.

If I’m a coach and one of my players puts his or her name in the portal, I’d say don’t let the door hit you on the way out and use that scholarship elsewhere.

HookedonGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
Putting your name in the transfer portal just opens yourself up for more options. Staying at UM is still an option.

If I’m a coach and one of my players puts his or her name in the portal, I’d say don’t let the door hit you on the way out and use that scholarship elsewhere.

As well as what you are telling your teammates, would they welcome you back?

I don't see where many people are saying "everything is hunky dory" OK right now.

Grizfan-24 said:
But I do believe it is pretty stupid to pretend everything is hunky dory right now.

I don't know all of the insider-stories but surmise that Shannon will gradually adjust her coaching style in a manner that teaches/instructs and continues to get her point across.

I wish that I had a $1 for everytime I saw Robin Sevlig stomp his feet or heard him yell. If Bo were still coaching we would be saying that he has to adjust his coaching style to match the new generation, younger players. In the end, 95% of the Lady Griz loved Bo and respected everything he did.

a really good video with plenty of UM Lady Griz history :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Td5Y3ALQY

Proud Griz Man said:
I don't see where many people are saying "everything is hunky dory" OK right now.

Grizfan-24 said:
But I do believe it is pretty stupid to pretend everything is hunky dory right now.

I don't know all of the insider-stories but surmise that Shannon will gradually adjust her coaching style in a manner that teaches/instructs and continues to get her point across.

I wish that I had a $1 for everytime I saw Robin Sevlig stomp his feet or heard him yell. If Bo were still coaching we would be saying that he has to adjust his coaching style to match the new generation, younger players. In the end, 95% of the Lady Griz loved Bo and respected everything he did.

Yelling and stomping is different then BELITTLING a player.
She is much like Billy Cockhill..

I did not compare the two and say they are equivalent.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Paytonlives said:

Proud Griz Man said:
I did not compare the two and say they are equivalent.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Paytonlives said:

If true... My Bad

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:
TrueGriz said:

As well as what you are telling your teammates, would they welcome you back?

The way I figure it, if it wasn't someone like Paige Bueckers, why worry about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD81HOdcIcA

Paytonlives said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Grizfan-24 said:

So is she overly mean or does she just push and expect way more from the girls then they’re willing to give. There’s a fine line there that’s probably easy to cross. Pat Summit is the greatest women’s coach of all time but she was extremely demanding of her girls and at times was overly hard on them to drive them to be champions.

and speaking of Pat Summit . . . she was a challenging coach and demanding mentor. :clap: :clap: :clap:

alabamagrizzly said:
Pat Summit is the greatest women’s coach of all time but she was extremely demanding of her girls and at times was overly hard on them to drive them to be champions.

. . . Pat and I had a love-hate relationship when I played for her at Tennessee. I had a tremendous work ethic and a passion to play the game like no other, but I was young and tried to do things “my way” while Pat was coaching me “her way.” Regardless of the ways that I drove Pat crazy with my Polish stubbornness, there was never a time I lost respect for her.

Pat is a Champion–thinks like a champion and coached me with endless passion and gutless determination. She didn’t care if I liked her or agreed with her. Pat wanted results. She thinks in terms of “championships.” She sets the bar so high that anything less than a national championship “isn’t good enough.”
When you play for Pat, winning is an expectation. And when you win, there are no slaps on the back, no congratulations. You are, after all, one game closer to winning a championship–which is always the “bar”–but you’re still not there yet. Work needs to get done to tweak, refine and work toward the greater goal. The goal is pristine execution. When you get sloppy, you lose. There is no “it was an ugly win, but we’ll take it” in Pat Summitt-speak. If that happens, you are in for a punishing day at the gym. On the flip side, when you lose a game at Tennessee, it’s not acceptable. The punishing day just crossed over to brutal.
There’s only one thing that is “good enough” for Pat, and that is when you cut down that championship net. I had the unique experience to play for two national championships at Tennessee: won one and lost one. Lost my junior year and dealt with the demands of Pat breathing down my neck that it “wasn’t good enough” until the day I led my team to a national championship my senior year. Painful? Yes. Scary? I was scared to death. Pressure? You can’t imagine how much…but Pat prepared me through a constant refining process.
When someone pushes you that intensely–pushes you to be better than you think you can ever be (even as you are fighting, kicking and screaming), you begin to make new molds for yourself. You grow in ways you never thought imaginable and you learn life lessons that you carry with you for the rest of your existence on earth. As I have. Starting my SHEEX business and living the life of an entrepreneur has been one of the most challenging things I have ever experienced. It’s difficult. It’s exhausting. It’s scary. But I know, having now transitioned from sports to the corporate world: If you don’t have the “it’s not good enough” mentality…if you don’t push yourself past your comfort zone…if you don’t sacrifice each day with the goal of pristine execution in mind, you will never win a championship in business.
http://fortune.com/2011/08/24/tough-love-behind-pat-summitts-leadership-success/

Tough love is fine, but the players have to respect the coach or they only see the tough part of the equation. Is the coach looking out for the best interest of the player and the team? Kids know that answer deep down. These college players are not stupid and to say they are leaving because the issue is “all theirs” and they can’t cut it - is simply foolish. Bobby Hauck has shown players plenty of tough love, but they respect him because he knows their potential. He pushed them to achieve it. His teams also get better.

The only thing Pat Summit and Schannon Schweyen have in common is being a female basketball coach.

Proud Griz Man said:
and speaking of Pat Summit . . . she was a challenging coach and demanding mentor. :clap: :clap: :clap:

alabamagrizzly said:
Pat Summit is the greatest women’s coach of all time but she was extremely demanding of her girls and at times was overly hard on them to drive them to be champions.

. . . Pat and I had a love-hate relationship when I played for her at Tennessee. I had a tremendous work ethic and a passion to play the game like no other, but I was young and tried to do things “my way” while Pat was coaching me “her way.” Regardless of the ways that I drove Pat crazy with my Polish stubbornness, there was never a time I lost respect for her.

Pat is a Champion–thinks like a champion and coached me with endless passion and gutless determination. She didn’t care if I liked her or agreed with her. Pat wanted results. She thinks in terms of “championships.” She sets the bar so high that anything less than a national championship “isn’t good enough.”
When you play for Pat, winning is an expectation. And when you win, there are no slaps on the back, no congratulations. You are, after all, one game closer to winning a championship–which is always the “bar”–but you’re still not there yet. Work needs to get done to tweak, refine and work toward the greater goal. The goal is pristine execution. When you get sloppy, you lose. There is no “it was an ugly win, but we’ll take it” in Pat Summitt-speak. If that happens, you are in for a punishing day at the gym. On the flip side, when you lose a game at Tennessee, it’s not acceptable. The punishing day just crossed over to brutal.
There’s only one thing that is “good enough” for Pat, and that is when you cut down that championship net. I had the unique experience to play for two national championships at Tennessee: won one and lost one. Lost my junior year and dealt with the demands of Pat breathing down my neck that it “wasn’t good enough” until the day I led my team to a national championship my senior year. Painful? Yes. Scary? I was scared to death. Pressure? You can’t imagine how much…but Pat prepared me through a constant refining process.
When someone pushes you that intensely–pushes you to be better than you think you can ever be (even as you are fighting, kicking and screaming), you begin to make new molds for yourself. You grow in ways you never thought imaginable and you learn life lessons that you carry with you for the rest of your existence on earth. As I have. Starting my SHEEX business and living the life of an entrepreneur has been one of the most challenging things I have ever experienced. It’s difficult. It’s exhausting. It’s scary. But I know, having now transitioned from sports to the corporate world: If you don’t have the “it’s not good enough” mentality…if you don’t push yourself past your comfort zone…if you don’t sacrifice each day with the goal of pristine execution in mind, you will never win a championship in business.
http://fortune.com/2011/08/24/tough-love-behind-pat-summitts-leadership-success/

Absolutely ... to paraphrase Hobbes, Life should be SOLITARY, POOR, NASTY, BRUTISH, AND SHORT. Anything else and you were taking it too easy. Now, go play some ball and have some fun.

I couldn't stand watching from the sideline on this topic.
When a player feels unneeded and unwanted it changes the way they feel about the program. I don't think for second that the players are being pushed hard in practice or the weight room. You can crush a player by humiliating them in a public way and not thinking twice about what you did. We have had several blessings fall in our lap over the last couple of years as far as players go and losing them or not valuing what we have is a problem. We should have been higher than 50 percent with the girls we had this year and we should be better than 50 percent with the talent we have for next year. But don't hold your breath on it. Katie could have helped helped this for sure. More so it takes a strong team bond with a coach and I don't see the trust here.

:?: :?: :?: Instead of "I don't think", please explain.

ThinkingGriz said:
I don't think for second that the players are being pushed hard in practice or the weight room. You can crush a player by humiliating them in a public way and not thinking twice about what you did.

I already stated that I don't know all of the insider stories. What has gone on behind the scenes? All I presently see are anonymous posters with incomplete stories.

I intend to post more stories about tough coaches like Bobby Knight, Jud Heathcote, etc. As long as there have been competitive sports, players have been challenged by demanding coaches. After a losing football game head coach John McKay was asked about his team's execution, and McKay said "I am in favor of it."

Proud Griz Man said:

Please keep posting on all the tough coaches. It shows what kind of coach we would like to have. The coach we have now does not share the same traits as those posted by you. To me you are trying to sell me on Shannon being a coach on the same caliber as Pat Summit and the like. Well I'm not buying it.
Can she get there?? That's an entirely different topic.
This is a thread that brings the question "Why are we losing girls at such a high rate?" Can she manage relationships with players? I haven't seen good evidence that she can.
If you are in a bad situation you leave. If it is good you stay.

Back