• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lunch

Hoops watcher said:
Griz90 said:
If you like real Greek gyros the one on Orange Street right a cross from The Orange Street Foodmart and there's one over by the Griz soccer fields right next to a Domino's.

We started eating there when we moved to town around 1980. The teens who served then are grandparents now I suppose and the Gyros are great. Great family place, reminds me I haven't been in there for a year.

#1 Greek Pastry Shop has best gyros, anywhere. Better than the old Niko’s in Spokane.

AZGrizFan said:
MrTitleist said:
I can't believe people here think Notorious PIG is good and is actual BBQ. lol

That said, how has -no one- even mentioned Charlie B's? For god sakes, if anything this crew of misfits should know that's always top of the list for great local dives.

Pauls Pancake Parlor
Rubys
4B's

There you go.

I don't care what anyone says, but Pauls is so overrated.

retiredpopo said:
Griz90 said:
If you like real Greek gyros the one on Orange Street right a cross from The Orange Street Foodmart and there's one over by the Griz soccer fields right next to a Domino's.

best one is at Northgate, Ambrosia. Acropolis the one on south and higgins used to be the best when John the greek owned it but it is not the same.. damn making me hungry for a gyro with feta..

I didn’t know they sold it. That sucks, nice family.

So seriously what don't you hate ? :roll:

HelenaHandBasket said:
I don't care what anyone says, but Pauls is so overrated.

c771d88f29e07a0353969ad42c9f9d83.jpg

CDAGRIZ said:
MrTitleist said:

Help me out. I've never had it. I checked out their website and it looked legit. That said, I'm an admitted BBQ snob and I hate when things only look legit, so I scrolled their insta until I saw what I didn't want to see: Kitchen BBQ locker-style pits. I know it can still be very tasty, but I was really hoping to see a giant offset.

Side note: the best I've ever had is Lewis in Charleston, SC. https://lewisbarbecue.com/
I've never been to Franklin. The line was ridiculous every time I've tried.
There's a place called Rudy's in Austin that I thought was excellent.
Haven't had anything good back home, so I was stoked about P.I.G. (I'm still going to try it).
I'd be interested to hear from AZ and out Texas friends on how I'm wrong about Lewis. ;)

Franklins here in Austin is good but ungodly expensive and the line isn't worth the wait.. except maybe once.

wwwingman said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Help me out. I've never had it. I checked out their website and it looked legit. That said, I'm an admitted BBQ snob and I hate when things only look legit, so I scrolled their insta until I saw what I didn't want to see: Kitchen BBQ locker-style pits. I know it can still be very tasty, but I was really hoping to see a giant offset.

Side note: the best I've ever had is Lewis in Charleston, SC. https://lewisbarbecue.com/
I've never been to Franklin. The line was ridiculous every time I've tried.
There's a place called Rudy's in Austin that I thought was excellent.
Haven't had anything good back home, so I was stoked about P.I.G. (I'm still going to try it).
I'd be interested to hear from AZ and out Texas friends on how I'm wrong about Lewis. ;)

Franklins here in Austin is good but ungodly expensive and the line isn't worth the wait.. except maybe once.

Interesting, thx. What's your favorite in Austin? I find myself there more than I ever thought I would, so any insight would be awesome.

PS: Just realized Rudy's is a pretty big chain, but I still think it was really good.

China Garden Restaurant http://www.chinagardenmt.com/menu.pdf

OR

Tamarack Brewery https://www.tamarackbrewing.com/

:thumb:

Ursa Major said:
retiredpopo said:
best one is at Northgate, Ambrosia. Acropolis the one on south and higgins used to be the best when John the greek owned it but it is not the same.. damn making me hungry for a gyro with feta..

it has been years ago that John sold it. Kids did not want to take it over i guess. He was a character and he had nice sons but they wanted to do other things. last I heard which a long time ago the younger one Frankie was a deputy in Washington.

CDAGRIZ said:
clawman said:
Can you recommend a good local restaurant for lunch tomorrow?
Thanks

Sure, I got you covered.
Buffalo Wild Wings (basically a wing place).
If you want authentic Mexican, there’s Cafe Rio and Chipotle.
For Italian, head on over to Mod Pizza or Little Caesars.
For sandwiches, the possibilities are endless. There’s Subway, Firehouse, and Jimmy’s John’s.
For breakfast food, I recommend IHOP or Denny’s.
For sushi, take the Reserve St exit, turn around, and drive until you see salt water.

Hopefully, this gives you a good Taste of Missoula!

I gotta believe this is sarcasm.

CDAGRIZ said:
wwwingman said:

Interesting, thx. What's your favorite in Austin? I find myself there more than I ever thought I would, so any insight would be awesome.

PS: Just realized Rudy's is a pretty big chain, but I still think it was really good.

Blacks Barbecue is pretty fantastic, Terry Blacks is close IMHO (same last name, same family, not the same quality though). TBH, I haven't found BBQ that I dislike since moving here.

retiredpopo said:
Ursa Major said:

it has been years ago that John sold it. Kids did not want to take it over i guess. He was a character and he had nice sons but they wanted to do other things. last I heard which a long time ago the younger one Frankie was a deputy in Washington.

Are the gyros the same? I believe they also had a restaurant in Great Falls. That was many years ago, too.

If you’re judging it by southern standards you will be underwhelmed. I think they do a great job and when you’re in the mood for smoked meat their hard to beat in town. We enjoy going down there and always feel fortunate to have a good bbq option in town. Having my first job in a bbq restaurant run by siblings from South Carolina, I haven’t tasted anything as good in Montana since. I miss amazing hush puppies and homemade sauce, fried catfish, hot sausage, vinaigrette pulled pork, jerk chicken, slow cooked ribs and pit pigs.

Wolf777 said:
If you’re judging it by southern standards you will be underwhelmed. I think they do a great job and when you’re in the mood for smoked meat their hard to beat in town. We enjoy going down there and always feel fortunate to have a good bbq option in town. Having my first job in a bbq restaurant run by siblings from South Carolina, I haven’t tasted anything as good in Montana since. I miss amazing hush puppies and homemade sauce, fried catfish, hot sausage, vinaigrette pulled pork, jerk chicken, slow cooked ribs and pit pigs.

Thanks! Sounds a lot like a place called Santa Maria BBQ that’s semi-close to me. They do most of the classic proteins, just in the locker smokers. Best option in town, and they do tri-tip outside in the back on a Santa Maria cooker. I know it’s not a match for real brisket, but it’s kind of a regional delicacy.

bigskyguy said:
El Diablo burritos, not fancy but good.

Right next to Tagliare - so if one wants Mex and the other wants a Sandwich, they are both locally owned and great.
Just South of these 2 on Higgins is Cambie which is a more traditional sit-down restaurant with great burgers and other menu items and beer. Just across Higgins from the Griz Soccer Field. A buddy of mine owns it and is a big Griz fan :thumb:

Here is the Gyro story you want.

Greek Pastry Shop (AKA #1 Gyros) and the original Acropolis were the same family. And, both restaurants descended from Zorba's. Acropolis sold their store to others when the owners got divorced. Bottom line, go to the Greek Pastry Shop. Last time I was in Missoula, they had the original store off of Orange Street (near where Zorba's was) and they took over the Greek shop in the mall--near Hogieville.

By the way Hogieville is also great. The owners Nick and Bob also own the Montana Club.

MrTitleist said:

That said, how has -no one- even mentioned Charlie B's? For god sakes, if anything this crew of misfits should know that's always top of the list for great local dives.

I'll admit that I don't like Notorious BIG either. But to say they are not BBQ is ridiculous. The owner is the from St Louis and grew up in his parents BBQ joints. And, all of their smokers were made in Cape Girardeau, MO where I live--they are the most sought after cookers of BBQ in the USA.

With that said, the best BBQ I've ever had was in Wallace Idaho--off of the old I-90 path. Wish you could have tried it but it looks like they turned the restaurant into Cogs Gastropub.

bigskyguy said:
El Diablo burritos, not fancy but good.
The Matador burrito at the Riverside Grill in Bonner is hard to beat. And so large, it's hard to finish in one sitting.

I haven't been to Missoula in years but I remember the Double Front Chicken as the best ever. Here,in South Carolina. the very heart of fried chicken and REAL bbg, the chicken place in Missoula is still the best I can recall. I hope it is still there....

Back