• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lion Heart

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:
The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!

"Great" is a very big word! Very good is better fit. Hell, if I got 29 or more carries a game I would have been higher in the standings too! Although not true for running backs at MVST...ha ha.
Chase Reynolds, Lex Hilliard and Yohance Humprey were GREAT running backs. They could carry the team and DCs had to plan to contain them as a top priority. The Nguyen brothers are/were valuable players, but don't embarrass them by comparing them to the trio above. Not in the same category.

Pointing out limitations to Nguyen's skills (which are obvious to anyone unbiased and with some football knowledge) is "trashing?" That's a Democrat's play to demonize those expressing opinions not their own. Total hyperbole.

So, a Griz player who finishes in the top 10 of all time at their position should not be considered a great player? Does this apply to all positions or just to running backs? Or, just to the Nguyen boys?

Robin Pflugrad, Beau Baldwin and Jerome Souers have all referred to former Griz running back Peter Nyguen as GREAT. Their opinions are good enough for me.

PlayerRep said:
Okay, I looked at all 5 punts by the regular punter--not the quick kick by the qb. Kem and Umista, I am having trouble figuring out which one he should have fielded, and then it rolled 25 (Kem) or 15 yards (Umista). Help me out.

55 yards for touchback, net 35. Something wrong with a touchback, and net 35?

28 yard shank out of bounds.

36, Nguyen returns 3.

39 to the 4, downed. This is the one that hit a bit inside the 4 (I think) and stopped. Nguyen was 10 or 15 yards to the right and slightly up field faking like he was going to catch it. Seems like a decent play, and normally the ball would have gone in end zone for a touchback. Do you think Nguyen should have fielded it on the 2, or 3, or 4?

53 to the 11, downed. 7 seconds left in game. Is this the one that bugged you. I don't recall the punt, as I wasn't paying much attention with only seconds left in the game.

The Nguyen haters are obsessed ... they take any minor problem, misremember it and magnify it, meanwhile doing the opposite for his counterparts. It's a strange variation of mobthink.

grizeyes said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:
The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!

"Great" is a very big word! Very good is better fit. Hell, if I got 29 or more carries a game I would have been higher in the standings too! Although not true for running backs at MVST...ha ha.
Chase Reynolds, Lex Hilliard and Yohance Humprey were GREAT running backs. They could carry the team and DCs had to plan to contain them as a top priority. The Nguyen brothers are/were valuable players, but don't embarrass them by comparing them to the trio above. Not in the same category.

Pointing out limitations to Nguyen's skills (which are obvious to anyone unbiased and with some football knowledge) is "trashing?" That's a Democrat's play to demonize those expressing opinions not their own. Total hyperbole.

So, a Griz player who finishes in the top 10 of all time at their position should not be considered a great player? Does this apply to all positions or just to running backs? Or, just to the Nguyen boys?

If you chose the word great that's your opinion that you are entitled too.

Fat Bruno said:
PlayerRep said:
Okay, I looked at all 5 punts by the regular punter--not the quick kick by the qb. Kem and Umista, I am having trouble figuring out which one he should have fielded, and then it rolled 25 (Kem) or 15 yards (Umista). Help me out.

36, Nguyen returns 3.

39 to the 4, downed. This is the one that hit a bit inside the 4 (I think) and stopped. Nguyen was 10 or 15 yards to the right and slightly up field faking like he was going to catch it. Seems like a decent play, and normally the ball would have gone in end zone for a touchback. Do you think Nguyen should have fielded it on the 2, or 3, or 4?

53 to the 11, downed. 7 seconds left in game. Is this the one that bugged you. I don't recall the punt, as I wasn't paying much attention with only seconds left in the game.

The Nguyen haters are obsessed ... they take any minor problem, misremember it and magnify it, meanwhile doing the opposite for his counterparts. It's a strange variation of mobthink.

Good point. I did miss part of the game, but looking at these punts, I can't figure out which one allowed the ball to bounced 25 more yards and hurt us. I can't recall the first punt (55), but I hope no one is saying he should have fair caught the punt at say the 10 or 15 (gotten the ball there), instead of letting it go in end zone, getting a touch back, and starting at the 20.

reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

I don't care if he is great, very good or good. But he is not bad, as some people are indicating.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:
kemajic said:

I don't care if he is great, very good or good. But he is not bad, as some people are indicating.

PR, I agree with you!

grizeyes said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

OK, Nguyen is "great." If so, so are others; our running game therefore must be "great."

RBack GP Att YG YL Net Avg. TD
Calhoun 7 58 429 15 414 7.1 9
Nguyen 7 90 437 25 412 4.6 1
T Favors 6 19 101 0 101 5.3 0

We have established a new definition for "great" on eGriz.

grizeyes said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

If someone is great there isn't an argument within the fan base. The case for good can be made and great is reserved for "elite" talent and performance. Not even close to elite... :egriz:

PlayerRep said:
Fat Bruno said:
PlayerRep said:

36, Nguyen returns 3.

Good point. I did miss part of the game, but looking at these punts, I can't figure out which one allowed the ball to bounced 25 more yards and hurt us. I can't recall the first punt (55), but I hope no one is saying he should have fair caught the punt at say the 10 or 15 (gotten the ball there), instead of letting it go in end zone, getting a touch back, and starting at the 20.

I would say that! A ball that can be fair caught between the 10 and 15 should be fair caught and not allowed to hit the ground. The fact that it bounced into the endzone for a touchback is luck. What if it would have stopped at the two? He would have been getting his ass chewed. Any coach I know would prefer the guaranteed yardage between the 10 and 15 rather than risking a downed punt inside the five. But, what do I know?

What does it matter? Calhoun is twice the back Nguyen is. When #8 steps out on the field all eyes are on him. Nguyen... Not so much. John is great in pass protection. He picks up blitzes very well!! But as far as moving the ball... Calhoun all the way and it's not even close.

kemajic said:
grizeyes said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

OK, Nguyen is "great." If so, so are others; our running game therefore must be "great."

RBack GP Att YG YL Net Avg. TD
Calhoun 7 58 429 15 414 7.1 9
Nguyen 7 90 437 25 412 4.6 1
T Favors 6 19 101 0 101 5.3 0

We have established a new definition for "great" on eGriz.

No Kem. It's really simple. In my opinion using the term great is perfectly justified to describe a top 10 all time Griz running back. In the samples you listed above, only one would meet that criteria. I hope the others you listed will achieve that status as well before their Griz carerrs have ended.

GO GRIZ!

It is a position. It involves several aspects, including receiving and blocking. It also includes durability, longevity, reliability, brains, toughness and heart. When you take the entirety, Jon Nguyen will certainly be considered a great Griz back.

Not gonna matter once we have Rey Green, Cody McCoombs, and Jeremy Calhoun battling for time.

I think Green will emerge as the guy but that's just me. He's got Nguyen's shiftiness, Calhouns strength, and more speed than both combined. We are overdue for a RB that is a threat to take it to the house at any time and from anywhere. Green is that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Fat Bruno said:
PlayerRep said:

36, Nguyen returns 3.

I would say that! A ball that can be fair caught between the 10 and 15 should be fair caught and not allowed to hit the ground. The fact that it bounced into the endzone for a touchback is luck. What if it would have stopped at the two? He would have been getting his ass chewed. Any coach I know would prefer the guaranteed yardage between the 10 and 15 rather than risking a downed punt inside the five. But, what do I know?

I'd say you don't know much on this particular subject, because I assume you didn't watch the game and see the plays. So, are you saying that the 55 yard punt should have been fielded on the 30 instead of bouncing another 25 yards into the end zone? That was the discussion topic. But thanks for telling us that a punt can be fair caught on the 10 and 15. I bet almost none of us ever knew that. Good thing we have coach experience from people like you.

PlayerRep said:
yeager_fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Fat Bruno said:

I'd say you don't know much on this particular subject, because I assume you didn't watch the game and see the plays. So, are you saying that the 55 yard punt should have been fielded on the 30 instead of bouncing another 25 yards into the end zone? That was the discussion topic. But thanks for telling us that a punt can be fair caught on the 10 and 15. I bet almost none of us ever knew that. Good thing we have coach experience from people like you.

Absolutely, a punt should be fielded on the 30 instead of being allowed to roll toward the goal line. The fact that it went into the endzone is pure luck. Punts outside the 10 should always be handled instead of allowed to hit the ground. For being a "D1" all-american, you sure don't know much about the game.

Latest posts

Back