• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lion Heart

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Nguyen's body is a bundle of muscle. Hardly that of a kitten. Maybe Stitt and Green are playing Nguyen just to irritate some of the Griz posters, as I have done on occasion. Maybe Stitt feels guilty that he wasn't old enough to be in the Viet Nam war, so he is making up for that by giving a kid of Vietnamese heritage an extra nice chance. Maybe they wanted to make sure he made it into UM's top 10 rusher list. Maybe it's because he's so short that they coaches can't see that he's still in the game. Who knows? It certainly can't be because Stitt and Green think Nguyen is the best back for situation when he was in the game.

I get your point on the coaches opinions on which RB is the right back for the situation but why the Vietnamese reference? Unneeded IMO....

I find most of your posts to be unneeded. Guess we're even.

PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:
PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59.
Even if you throw out Calhoun's long run, that's still more than 5 yards per carry! And those 59 yard runs are exactly why he deserves more than 8 carries per game. If Calhoun gets a big hole to run through, he plows straight ahead and scores. If Nguyen gets the same big hole, it seems like he gets just past the line of scrimmage, jukes right, spins left, and gets two-touched for a 4 yard gain.

Nguyen should come in to pass protect and be a receiver out of the backfield. Those are his strong suits.

You may think 7 for 36 yards is something to write home about, but I don't.

Nguyen had an 82 yard run a week ago. I assume you know that 81 is a lot farther than 59.

Nguyen averaged 16.6 yards per carry a week ago.

In the past 2 games, Nguyen has 158 yards. Calhoun has 157. Obviously, Nguyen is a better runner. Ha.
You need to quit referencing these body bag games. Pulling a cherry stat from an ass wipe team in Wa-Griz. #20 should have 50% LESS TOUCHES AND HE HAS NO BUSINESS BEING ON PUNT RETURN. SH!T he couldn't even put a finger on the ball on half of the NAU punts... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:
PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59.
Even if you throw out Calhoun's long run, that's still more than 5 yards per carry! And those 59 yard runs are exactly why he deserves more than 8 carries per game. If Calhoun gets a big hole to run through, he plows straight ahead and scores. If Nguyen gets the same big hole, it seems like he gets just past the line of scrimmage, jukes right, spins left, and gets two-touched for a 4 yard gain.

Nguyen should come in to pass protect and be a receiver out of the backfield. Those are his strong suits.

Nguyen had an 82 yard run a week ago. I assume you know that 81 is a lot farther than 59.

In the past 2 games, Nguyen has 158 yards. Calhoun has 157. Obviously, Nguyen is a better runner. Ha.
You need to quit referencing these body bag games. Pulling a cherry stat from an ass wipe team in Wa-Griz. #20 should have 50% LESS TOUCHES AND HE HAS NO BUSINESS BEING ON PUNT RETURN. SH!T he couldn't even put a finger on the ball on half of the NAU punts... :egriz:

Here comes the Troll Brigade. I was wondering when the Brigade would start messing up the good discussion that's been occurring.

So, NAU was a body bag game? What a dumb comment by you. Without JLM being available, the coaches believe Nguyen is the next best. Now, you are apparently think you know more than the coaches. Pretty funny.

PlayerRep said:
rimrockgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Ringneck said:

Here comes the Troll Brigade. I was wondering when the Brigade would start messing up the good discussion that's been occurring.

So, NAU was a body bag game? What a dumb comment by you. Without JLM being available, the coaches believe Nguyen is the next best. Now, you are apparently think you know more than the coaches. Pretty funny.
Any reference to MSVU or Sac St. should be ass wipe paper.Easily some of the worst teams in the country...Tell me all about the NAU game...suck a$$ I didn't see you there?... :egriz:

The anti-Nguyen trolls are a nasty, vicious, little pack with whom the last three coaching staffs disagree about the Nguyen bros. But even with all that, the pathetic ignorami still know more than all of those pros. Jon had the longest run from scrimmage in half a century last week. A lower calibre team? Duh ... I know we haven't played any of those kinds of guys in the last fifty years. One of many things the simpletons don't understand is that many of those running plays are not set. The back may be called on to block on that particular rep, so you want the best all around guy in there. Oh, why bother ... the non-pedestrians know what they are.

Fat Bruno said:
The anti-Nguyen trolls are a nasty, vicious, little pack with whom the last three coaching staffs disagree about the Nguyen bros. But even with all that, the pathetic ignorami still know more than all of those pros. Jon had the longest run from scrimmage in half a century last week. A lower calibre team? Duh ... I know we haven't played any of those kinds of guys in the last fifty years. One of many things the simpletons don't understand is that many of those running plays are not set. The back may be called on to block on that particular rep, so you want the best all around guy in there. Oh, why bother ... the non-pedestrians know what they are.

how many fumbles in 113 touches has nguyen had this year? one? none? how many times has he made something out of nothing when the offensive line got their asses kicked, leaving no holes, or when he's getting yanked by the facemask? how many times has he taken out a blitzing linebacker outweighing him by 50 pounds, giving gustafson the time to complete key passes? i like calhoun and think he's a good back, but in the offense the griz run, nguyen's better ability in the passing game (protection and catching) has resulted in way more yards overall, and i think that would be increased further if gustafson threw to him instead of a less open receiver so many times. and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games). is he walter payton? no, but he's way better than some over-achieving "rudy" type guy that the kimwipes of the world want to make him out to be.

Nice post, argh. John Nguyen hasn't hasn't had a lost fumble since his frosh year. Source: the UM official stats.

argh! said:
and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games).
Huh? It is always preferable to fair catch a punt than to let it hit the ground where in can roll another 25 yards, which Nguyen does frequently. JLM is fearless in this capacity and has saved us many yards on punts. Your blinders are really showing.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games).
Huh? It is always preferable to fair catch a punt than to let it hit the ground where in can roll another 25 yards, which Nguyen does frequently. JLM is fearless in this capacity and has saved us many yards on punts. Your blinders are really showing.

No, it is not always better to fair catch a punt than let it drop. When a punt is coming down close to the goal line, in college, you let it drop and hope it goes in the end zone. Also, if a fair catch would be a tougher running catch, then it's often better to let it drop and not fun the risk of a fumble.

As I titled this thread, Lion Heart. Jon gives his best all the time. I don't believe anyone who watches the Griz doesn't think that had Stitt brought in Counts at the 1 yd line, the Griz would have gotten a safety? I think Counts pushes the pile and the Griz get away from the goal line. Jon can't push the pile! I think Nguyen is faster than Calhoun, but I don't know? This fact means nothing. I like Jon in space, just got to get him there 1st. Calhoun gives the griz the best chance to have a strong running game, one we haven't seen since Canada left. Let Calhoun get 29 carries a game and Nguyen 7 and see the difference.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

No, it is not always better to fair catch a punt than let it drop. When a punt is coming down close to the goal line, in college, you let it drop and hope it goes in the end zone. Also, if a fair catch would be a tougher running catch, then it's often better to let it drop and not fun the risk of a fumble.
Of course I'm not referring to punts close to the goal line. JLM makes the catches that Nguyen is afraid of.

reinell30 said:
As I titled this thread, Lion Heart. Jon gives his best all the time. I don't believe anyone who watches the Griz doesn't think that had Stitt brought in Counts at the 1 yd line, the Griz would have gotten a safety? I think Counts pushes the pile and the Griz get away from the goal line. Jon can't push the pile! I think Nguyen is faster than Calhoun, but I don't know? This fact means nothing. I like Jon in space, just got to get him there 1st. Calhoun gives the griz the best chance to have a strong running game, one we haven't seen since Canada left. Let Calhoun get 29 carries a game and Nguyen 7 and see the difference.
Nguyen is not even close to Calhoun's speed. Nguyen is quick and agile, but has no top end. But I agree with the rest of your post and particularly favor your 29 to seven ratio.....

argh! said:
Fat Bruno said:

how many fumbles in 113 touches has nguyen had this year? one? none? how many times has he made something out of nothing when the offensive line got their asses kicked, leaving no holes, or when he's getting yanked by the facemask? how many times has he taken out a blitzing linebacker outweighing him by 50 pounds, giving gustafson the time to complete key passes? i like calhoun and think he's a good back, but in the offense the griz run, nguyen's better ability in the passing game (protection and catching) has resulted in way more yards overall, and i think that would be increased further if gustafson threw to him instead of a less open receiver so many times. and then there's his punt returns - louie-mcgee has needlessly fair-caught several punts, whereas when given the opportunity, nguyen hasn't, and given the griz better field position than they would have had if he used the fair-catch option, despite decent punt coverage by the other team (see the last three games). is he walter payton? no, but he's way better than some over-achieving "rudy" type guy that the kimwipes of the world want to make him out to be.

The troll brigade needs to study this, but without the ability to process information it wouldn't help them, anyway.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

Of course I'm not referring to punts close to the goal line. JLM makes the catches that Nguyen is afraid of.

When has a punt ever rolled 25 yards after Nguyen decided not to catch it? Zero times is my guess. JLM has not fielded a few punts that I thought he would go after. He seems to have super nice hands and confidence and has made some nice catches too.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59. Nguyen would have had about the same gain on that huge hole. Some of you would have had a nice gain through that hole.
Total speculation that Nguyen would have made that 59 yard run; how many times has he done that? Calhoun did and it was very important at the time. If you want to play that game, Nguyen had 13 carries for 29 yards and then a meaningless carry for 12 yards against the prevent on the last play of the game, already lost. Calhoun is a serious threat and does not get arm tackled; Nguyen not so much.

Didn't Nguyen set UM's all-time TD record run just a week or so ago? 80 or 81 yards? That was way, way, way back when this board was severely overlooking NAU.

Mousegriz said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Looked at it another way. Calhoun had 7 carries for 36 yards, and 1 carry for 59. Nguyen would have had about the same gain on that huge hole. Some of you would have had a nice gain through that hole.
Total speculation that Nguyen would have made that 59 yard run; how many times has he done that? Calhoun did and it was very important at the time. If you want to play that game, Nguyen had 13 carries for 29 yards and then a meaningless carry for 12 yards against the prevent on the last play of the game, already lost. Calhoun is a serious threat and does not get arm tackled; Nguyen not so much.

Didn't Nguyen set UM's all-time TD record run just a week or so ago? 80 or 81 yards? That was way, way, way back when this board was severely overlooking NAU.

Not taking away the run from Jon but, how many carries has it taken for him to finally get that long run, one where he didn't get caught? I watched Chase, Lex, Yohance, Jordan C. and many others make these long runs many times, sometimes more than once per game. Yes, not 81 yds or Jon's wouldn't have been a record. I also saw Calhoun get caught from behind this weekend. I didn't see Jon get any long gains this past week. He usually gets at least one long gain per game.

The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!

grizeyes said:
The Nguyen boys are great football players. Griz football is, and was, better for having them on the team. John is the#10 all time griz running back - I think Peter is right there someplace as well. And yet, sone people trash them endlessly. I don't get it.

GO GRIZ!
+1

grizeyes said:

GO GRIZ!

"Great" is a very big word! Very good is better fit. Hell, if I got 29 or more carries a game I would have been higher in the standings too! Although not true for running backs at MVST...ha ha.

Back