• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Legans

marceagfan5 said:
I don't disagree with you PR regarding the funding. EWU has always prided itself on lower tuition, and thats probably going to have to change, not drastically, but it will change. Eastern saw a boom in enrollment several years back but has seen a decline since, and the pandemic didn't help any university. I don't think cutting or changing athletics will help at all, it gives the university a sense of identity. Also, most college sports don't generate more revenue than expenses, and nearly every university was drastically affected the past 12 months, Eastern isn't the only school dealing with this, there are plenty of other universities going through the same thing. Unfortunately, we had a handful of professors bring the matter up at a public meeting, which prompted all the reviews you've seen, but I don't see the board changing anything moving forward...

Marceag,

Gotta question because up until this point I haven't really gotten a clear answer. Where is the money going to come from? I have asked a few people that would know, and I seem to get a shoulder shrug and a confounded look on their face.

The former EWU president and many outside of Cheney seem hesitant to downright resistant to continually ask for more state funds to offset the athletic imbalance. My understanding throughout all of this is that this is a chronic problem and isn't going to be remedied by a booster bake sale and as my friend said it can't come from increased student fees. Not only as I was told might not be allowed per state law but there is little support locally (administration, faculty and student senate) and state wide (higher ed board) to pass off Eastern's chronic underfunding of the athletic department to the students in the form of higher tuition.

Has the state higher ed board changed their tune on infusing more money to the directional schools for their athletic departments or is there a white knight that is going to come in on their trusty steed and shower the department in dollar bills?

Look it would be better for our conference in general if EWU figured out its budgetary problems, but this is hardly a new thing in Washington with its directional schools and maybe why it is easy to be a bit pessimistic about the outcome.

Grizfan-24 said:
marceagfan5 said:
I don't disagree with you PR regarding the funding. EWU has always prided itself on lower tuition, and thats probably going to have to change, not drastically, but it will change. Eastern saw a boom in enrollment several years back but has seen a decline since, and the pandemic didn't help any university. I don't think cutting or changing athletics will help at all, it gives the university a sense of identity. Also, most college sports don't generate more revenue than expenses, and nearly every university was drastically affected the past 12 months, Eastern isn't the only school dealing with this, there are plenty of other universities going through the same thing. Unfortunately, we had a handful of professors bring the matter up at a public meeting, which prompted all the reviews you've seen, but I don't see the board changing anything moving forward...

Marceag,

Gotta question because up until this point I haven't really gotten a clear answer. Where is the money going to come from? I have asked a few people that would know, and I seem to get a shoulder shrug and a confounded look on their face.

The former EWU president and many outside of Cheney seem hesitant to downright resistant to continually ask for more state funds to offset the athletic imbalance. My understanding throughout all of this is that this is a chronic problem and isn't going to be remedied by a booster bake sale and as my friend said it can't come from increased student fees. Not only as I was told might not be allowed per state law but there is little support locally (administration, faculty and student senate) and state wide (higher ed board) to pass off Eastern's chronic underfunding of the athletic department to the students in the form of higher tuition.

Has the state higher ed board changed their tune on infusing more money to the directional schools for their athletic departments or is there a white knight that is going to come in on their trusty steed and shower the department in dollar bills?

Look it would be better for our conference in general if EWU figured out its budgetary problems, but this is hardly a new thing in Washington with its directional schools and maybe why it is easy to be a bit pessimistic about the outcome.

Good question and honestly I don't have an answer. Maybe its just blind faith that I don't see this turning out the way some others do.

You are absolutely correct, EWU needs additional funding from the State level and there has to be an ask, the bigger issue is its not entirely about athletics. Athletics is a small puzzle piece within the budget, but not the overwhelming problem, as you and PR have laid out. Eastern isn't the top dog in the state, not even close, so they have to fight for everything and EWU has done a great job developing under grad programs the past few years that will funnel undergrads into UW and WSU's grad programs, this has allowed WSU and UW to push for funds for EWU...Eastern was just hit with a budget issue, declining enrollment all in the midst of a year long pandemic, its not something you can fix overnight.

In terms of Eastern's booster ask for athletics...1.) Eastern has never been aggressive enough in this aspect IMO. 2.) EWU doesn't have a large pool of wealthy donors to draw from. We finally had some momentum with some large donations to the new stadium last year just before the pandemic and now that has lost traction with all the recent events.

Based on the EWU hire, currently I don't think there will be a mass exodus of players. Riley offers continuity and from my understanding has a good relationship with the players.

Everett, lead on and show us the way. Take the bull by the balls and shepherd this thread where you think it should go. You have the stage. :thumb:

grizindabox said:
Based on the EWU hire, currently I don't think there will be a mass exodus of players. Riley offers continuity and from my understanding has a good relationship with the players.

Riley was the perfect hire...he’s loved within the program and the job was his if he wanted it. Eastern moved quick and should avoid any big transfers leaving

tourist said:
Everett, lead on and show us the way. Take the bull by the balls and shepherd this thread where you think it should go. You have the stage. :thumb:

No, no; please don't misunderstand. The thread is fine, and has even been rather enjoyable to peruse. My post was meant to simply highlight that it fully embodies the bsc.

IdaGriz01 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
finalizing a deal to become the next head coach at Portland
From the Spokane paper: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/22/following-ncaa-tournament-berth-shantay-legans-lea/

Kinda weird, really. Can't imagine that U. of Portland can offer him a lot more dough. But UP is in the West Coast Conference (along with Gonzaga, etc.) which, for all its problems with competitive balance, gets way more respect than the Big Sky in basketball. I suspect the uncertain financial situation in Cheney has something to do with this too. (Note "GrizBall" post that appeared before I could finish mine.)

It's been put out there on twitter that Porter was making 400K and Legans at EWU was making 130K. So even is Portland offered Legans 200k he had to jump on that.

PNWLope said:
IdaGriz01 said:
From the Spokane paper: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/22/following-ncaa-tournament-berth-shantay-legans-lea/

Kinda weird, really. Can't imagine that U. of Portland can offer him a lot more dough. But UP is in the West Coast Conference (along with Gonzaga, etc.) which, for all its problems with competitive balance, gets way more respect than the Big Sky in basketball. I suspect the uncertain financial situation in Cheney has something to do with this too. (Note "GrizBall" post that appeared before I could finish mine.)

It's been put out there on twitter that Porter was making 400K and Legans at EWU was making 130K. So even is Portland offered Legans 200k he had to jump on that.

And it’s gotta be tough to leave the cultural mecca of Cheney for the social desolation of Portland.

goatcreekgriz said:
PNWLope said:

And it’s gotta be tough to leave the cultural mecca of Cheney for the social desolation of Portland.

:clap: :thumb:

goatcreekgriz said:
PNWLope said:

I’d rather live in Siberia than Portland.

big news if true. FTR, nothing in VC yet...

[media]https://twitter.com/Sean02MTM/status/1375551650652377092[/media]

tgreseth said:
big news if true. FTR, nothing in VC yet...

[media]https://twitter.com/Sean02MTM/status/1375551650652377092[/media]
It's legit.
https://twitter.com/tannergroves/status/1375552102253043713?s=20

Back