• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Legans

EverettGriz said:
When the bsc begins losing their better coaches to a doormat in the WCC, it's beyond time for major changes. They won't happen, of course, because bsc.
To be fair to the big sky, Eastern might be the most unattractive job in the conference right now. Ya they have a good roster and that’s appealing but outside of that, everything else going on with the school and the AD is not the least bit attractive.

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:
When the bsc begins losing their better coaches to a doormat in the WCC, it's beyond time for major changes. They won't happen, of course, because bsc.
To be fair to the big sky, Eastern might be the most unattractive job in the conference right now. Ya they have a good roster and that’s appealing but outside of that, everything else going on with the school and the AD is not the least bit attractive.

From what I heard from a few different places is that Legans has had an oft contentious relationship with the AD for reasons that are unknown to me. Heard it enough to believe it, but without hearing it first hand it just falls into the conjecture category.

The Eastern situation is a mess from its descent into fiscal chaos to its management of the athletic department. Not sure I would touch the place with a ten foot pole right now, regardless of how successful their programs have been.

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:

I agree. It's an EWU thing, not a conference thing.

Congratulations to Shantay Legans. I have a lot of respect for him and am happy for him. He is a good coach and very intense much like Travis. He also does things the right way.

Griz til I die said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, I could argue that it's certainly not the worst job in the conference, but I understand that doesn't change the real point of your post. And I agree; ewooo is a shit show. But the bsc and it's on-going, 40 year failure to do ANYTHING to increase revenue is, in large part, the primary cause of that.

No matter how you slice it, the bsc is losing one of its top coaches to a bottom dweller in the WCC. There is no way anyone (including the classic eGriz spin-master) can explain that away and have the conference come out looking good.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Well, I could argue that it's certainly not the worst job in the conference, but I understand that doesn't change the real point of your post. And I agree; ewooo is a shit show. But the bsc and it's on-going, 40 year failure to do ANYTHING to increase revenue is, in large part, the primary cause of that.

No matter how you slice it, the bsc is losing one of its top coaches to a bottom dweller in the WCC. There is no way anyone (including the classic eGriz spin-master) can explain that away and have the conference come out looking good.

Everett, I think your expectations for the BSC are just way too high. The BSC conference is a low-rent D1 conference and there just aren't many ways to spin it differently. I would say that every WCC job is a step up from a BSC job, and there is very little the BSC and it members schools can do about it.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Everett, I think your expectations for the BSC are just way too high. The BSC conference is a low-rent D1 conference and there just aren't many ways to spin it differently. I would say that every WCC job is a step up from a BSC job, and there is very little the BSC and it members schools can do about it.

I believe Everett thinks there is one very good thing one member school he follows should do....or should have at least considered doing.....at least once!

Mousegriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I believe Everett thinks there is one very good thing one member school he follows should do....or should have at least considered doing.....at least once!

Yeah, but I think those days are long past and sooner or later he just has to have a come to jesus meeting and realize that school and the BSC are just what they are.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, certainly! You are, of course, 100% accurate. But isn't that the entire point?? How and why should the bsc be that inferior to the lowest of the low in the WCC??! The answer is years and years of shitty, blind, unimaginative, backward thinking leadership, and a fanbase who has allowed it. Other conferences have gotten better, gotten better revenue streams, have television deals. We have pluto and basketball games with attendance under 800, and one of the most successful conference programs going broke.

EverettGriz said:
one of the most successful conference programs going broke.

I would argue that the reason this is happening is because they were trying to accomplish what you keep pushing, but being a third rate commuter school has caught up with them. Your vision is grand, but the majority of BSC schools have no path whatsoever to get there.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, certainly! You are, of course, 100% accurate. But isn't that the entire point?? How and why should the bsc be that inferior to the lowest of the low in the WCC??! The answer is years and years of shitty, blind, unimaginative, backward thinking leadership, and a fanbase who has allowed it. Other conferences have gotten better, gotten better revenue streams, have television deals. We have pluto and basketball games with attendance under 800, and one of the most successful conference programs going broke.

Totally agree and Montana is a big part of the problem. They can't even properly market a consistently winning basketball program. My dad lives in Hot Springs and can't even follow the Griz cause they are not on the radio properly state wide. Games should be on TV statewide and you should be able to to sell out Dalberg consistently, rather than pretty much never. Feel like UM just says "eh we are the Griz fans need to put in the work to come see us." Why would Rollie Worster want to stay in state when he probably couldn't even consistently watch UM basketball on TV with his family growing up. I remember having to call like 6 bars in Kalispell just to find 1 that was going to have the Big Sky Championship game on the year the Griz were in it.

EverettGriz said:

Ok - I vote we go to Mountain West! :thumb: or back to the PAC!

Eastern's financial situation is a mess right now, but anyone thinking EWU is dropping down to D2 is crazy, its not going to happen. The president was not high on athletics and she's now gone, EWU will right the ship. Legans was going to leave this year or next year no matter what, it wasn't a shock to anyone, besides where he went, but UP most likely offered a significant increase.

Eastern has some great, young assistants on staff that will take Legans place, and they are loaded with a ton of talent returning the next 2 years, and a big time recruiting class if they all stay committed.

Don't worry, you'll still see plenty of EWU and their success in the coming years...

marceagfan5 said:
Eastern's financial situation is a mess right now, but anyone thinking EWU is dropping down to D2 is crazy, its not going to happen. The president was not high on athletics and she's now gone, EWU will right the ship. Legans was going to leave this year or next year no matter what, it wasn't a shock to anyone, besides where he went, but UP most likely offered a significant increase.

Eastern has some great, young assistants on staff that will take Legans place, and they are loaded with a ton of talent returning the next 2 years, and a big time recruiting class if they all stay committed.

Don't worry, you'll still see plenty of EWU and their success in the coming years...

For all your bluster about how eastern will be so great the next couple of years, its telling that we have 2 pages on this issue and your board has 2 posts on this issue. Looks to me like nobody frankly gives a shit what happens to you guys and your program, unless they’re Griz fans, 😎

info said:
marceagfan5 said:

For all your bluster about how eastern will be so great the next couple of years, its telling that we have 2 pages on this issue and your board has 2 posts on this issue. Looks to me like nobody frankly gives a shit what happens to you guys and your program, unless they’re Griz fans, 😎

Most EWU fans moved away from that site...everything is discussed on a different platform through a private social media page now...

marceagfan5 said:
info said:

Most EWU fans moved away from that site...everything is discussed on a different platform through a private social media page now...

Channeling discussion about EWU athletics to a platform through a private social media page is a splendid approach to building and expanding community support. Nothing short of genius. A complete reversal of fortune for EWU athletics is imminent.

goatcreekgriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

Channeling discussion about EWU athletics to a platform through a private social media page is a splendid approach to building and expanding community support. Nothing short of genius. A complete reversal of fortune for EWU athletics is imminent.

I hope you seriously don’t think you try and build community support through internet message boards...

No doubt EWU needs more support, but we have a much bigger problem if we need an internet message board to do so.

Unfortunately EWU doesn’t have the community support like UM does, nor do we have a donor like the Washington family...I can’t imagine what EWU would do if they had the same support that the Griz do.

marceagfan5 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

I hope you seriously don’t think you try and build community support through internet message boards...

No doubt EWU needs more support, but we have a much bigger problem if we need an internet message board to do so.

Unfortunately EWU doesn’t have the community support like UM does, nor do we have a donor like the Washington family...I can’t imagine what EWU would do if they had the same support that the Griz do.

I think it's absolutely clear that support is built in part through a good message board.

Yes, I agree that you have a much bigger problem, i.e. not having nearly enough money to run the academic side of the school, let alone the athletic side.

How is EWU possibly going to have enough money to fund the academic side of the school?

Marceagfan5:
"Most EWU fans moved away from that site...everything is discussed on a different platform..."

eGriz and BN must be the exception to the rule regarding participation. The original sites, through bigskyconf.com are rarely visited, at least the sites I have checked out. The ISU football forum is still up, but other than Colter, the last post was Aug. 6, a guy trying to do verbal CPR on the site. Basketball forum is even worse, Nov. 2019. Somebody noting that it was kind of quiet on the board...board...board...board(echo).

PlayerRep said:
marceagfan5 said:

I think it's absolutely clear that support is built in part through a good message board.

Yes, I agree that you have a much bigger problem, i.e. not having nearly enough money to run the academic side of the school, let alone the athletic side.

How is EWU possibly going to have enough money to fund the academic side of the school?

I don't disagree with you PR regarding the funding. EWU has always prided itself on lower tuition, and thats probably going to have to change, not drastically, but it will change. Eastern saw a boom in enrollment several years back but has seen a decline since, and the pandemic didn't help any university. I don't think cutting or changing athletics will help at all, it gives the university a sense of identity. Also, most college sports don't generate more revenue than expenses, and nearly every university was drastically affected the past 12 months, Eastern isn't the only school dealing with this, there are plenty of other universities going through the same thing. Unfortunately, we had a handful of professors bring the matter up at a public meeting, which prompted all the reviews you've seen, but I don't see the board changing anything moving forward...

Back