• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz vs. NAU

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Shannon's record : 4-14 conference and 7-23 overall year one. 9-9 conference and 14 - 17 overall year two. 12-8 conference and 17 - 14 overall year three.

This is year 4 for Shannon which her record is 17 - 14 overall. Year 3 was 14 - 16 overall and 9 - 11 conference which you left out.

Average home attendance this year is 3062 which consists of 1 game of 7205 (school day). That one game added 300 per game alone to the average attendance for home games. The last 3 years had a game where a lot of grade school students were bussed to the game. Therefore, the attendance figures for the last 3 years are inflated and may not reflect accurately on how well attendance really is.

IdahoGrizFan said:
I have been watching the Lady Griz from the 80’s. Considering the talent we have to play against, when do we start recruiting for talent outside of Montana? Or is it just coaching. Even when Robin was coaching and we played in March we were always out played by better athletes. The men only have 3 Montana boys. What will it take to get a dominating team?
1. A good coach?
2. Good athletic players. Can we get those in Montana?
3. Do we need to look in CA and other places?
Just wondering,

I would argue that at least the top two athletic/quickest players in yesterday's game were from Montana (Johnston and Stiles). NAU's best player (Rasheed) is good but she's not necessarily quick. Her strengths are more her power in the post and her mid range jumper, from what I've seen.

If Shannon does go, is that it for the rest of the staff? If Haslam deems the performance unsatisfactory that would include the contributions from Mike Petrino, Nate Covill, and Jordan Sullivan. That's a lot of Montana ties/passion to be losing.

DoubleNicks said:
If Shannon does go, is that it for the rest of the staff? If Haslam deems the performance unsatisfactory that would include the contributions from Mike Petrino, Nate Covill, and Jordan Sullivan. That's a lot of Montana ties/passion to be losing.

I get what you're saying, but I think it takes more than passion and Montana ties to win games. I have no dog in the fight other than being a fan, but I'd say Shannon's tenure here has not been stellar.

A tough decision on Shannon for sure and her past glory as a player, her two daughters on the team and her husband as track coach should have nothing to do with the decision. Has she performed to the degree that is expected and is there a decent excuse for losing in the first round of the tourney? Performance to me is not what it should be. I would say extend her for more than a year or else make the change which would be where I would head but Haslam knows what will be best for the program overall. Just extending her for a year does little to provide the stability the program needs

Griz66 said:
A tough decision on Shannon for sure and her past glory as a player, her two daughters on the team and her husband as track coach should have nothing to do with the decision. Has she performed to the degree that is expected and is there a decent excuse for losing in the first round of the tourney? Performance to me is not what it should be. I would say extend her for more than a year or else make the change which would be where I would head but Haslam knows what will be best for the program overall. Just extending her for a year does little to provide the stability the program needs

Agree. An extension for 1 year shows no confidence, especially following last year's extension for just 1 year. And it certainly doesn't give confidence to prospective recruits as to who will be their coach a year from now should they choose Montana.

Haslem needs to go all in, or all out. All in: Give Shannon a multi-year contract, possibly make assistant changes with emphasis on hiring a good recruiter, and boosting the recruiting budget. All out: Let Shannon go and do a legitimate national search for the next head coach.

Ok I a Bobcat but I would giver her another year. Following a legend is difficult, just ask my ex-wifes husband! The Lady Griz could have a really good team next year. If Shannon is let go a lot of talent could walk out with her.

Mslacat said:
Ok I a Bobcat but I would giver her another year. Following a legend is difficult, just ask my ex-wifes husband! The Lady Griz could have a really good team next year. If Shannon is let go a lot of talent could walk out with her.

... :clap: :clap: :clap: ...
...basketball post of the year...
...hate to see a cat get it..got to give credit...

... :lol: .. :thumb: ...

TrueGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Shannon's record : 4-14 conference and 7-23 overall year one. 9-9 conference and 14 - 17 overall year two. 12-8 conference and 17 - 14 overall year three.

This is year 4 for Shannon which her record is 17 - 14 overall. Year 3 was 14 - 16 overall and 9 - 11 conference which you left out.

Average home attendance this year is 3062 which consists of 1 game of 7205 (school day). That one game added 300 per game alone to the average attendance for home games. The last 3 years had a game where a lot of grade school students were bussed to the game. Therefore, the attendance figures for the last 3 years are inflated and may not reflect accurately on how well attendance really is.
the hazards of using wikipedia as a source instead of gogriz. :oops:
I saw a clip on espn a while back about the grade school kids games, I think it was a Syracuse womens bball game, it seems to be all over the country now. and its a good thing. I sit on the fence about giving her another year.

Mslacat said:

Yo, Mslacat. Great to have your input. But here's the big issue.

Both the we and the Cats have huge recruiting classes coming in next year. For us we have the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year, Kyndall Keller, together with two other potential stars, Joelnell Momberg, who led Box Elder to a couple of Class "C" titles in Montana, before transferring for her senior year to Mead High in Spokane, where she averaged about 15 points a game; and Bria Dixon from Portland, who as a junior helped her team win the 6A Championship in Oregon, the highest division they have. You put these three players with holdovers Stiles, Pickens and Anderson, and you have the foundation of an excellent team.

Looks good for Montana, right?

But here's the rub. The Cats bring in two potential stars with--gulp--Lady Griz backgrounds. Leia Beattie the daughter of ex-Lady Griz Kelly Pilcher, scored 26.3 ppg for a Midland, Texas high school, while grabbing seven rebounds and dishing out almost five assists and five steals per game. And Lexi Deden from Missoula (!) is the daughter of ex-Lady Griz Dawn Siliker. If these two turn into huge stars, as they well could, the recriminations from Griz Nation will be deafening.

Too, one of the other Lady Griz recruits from Billings, Willa Albrecht, had only one Division I offer, and that was from us. She scored about seven points a game as a junior, and received no interest from the Cats. Given the strength of Tricia Binford's recruiting, we simply can't afford to make mistakes with scholarships. But offering a full ride to a player who averaged seven points a game might be one.

IdahoGrizFan said:
I have been watching the Lady Griz from the 80’s. Considering the talent we have to play against, when do we start recruiting for talent outside of Montana? Or is it just coaching. Even when Robin was coaching and we played in March we were always out played by better athletes. The men only have 3 Montana boys. What will it take to get a dominating team?
1. A good coach?
2. Good athletic players. Can we get those in Montana?
3. Do we need to look in CA and other places?
Just wondering,
I'm not throwing any shade here, I'm really not. But I've been around MT high school girls basketball as an official for over 30 years, and I don't think the talent stacks up with the rest of the country like it did in the 80's and 90's. I don't think our talent has slipped that much, but everyone else has caught up and in some cases passed us just on shear numbers. (I personally feel it has something to do with changing the seasons, but I digress).

Trish does not recruit heavily in Montana. It used to be because Rob got all the good ones, but now it's because (I believe) she gets better talent elsewhere. I also feel that players from Colorado, Minnesota and North Dakota, and Idaho to name a few play way more games in the off season on AAU teams, so are more skilled when they hit the college ranks. Kola will be a good role player for us and if she gets back to 100%, may be a star going forward, and Dedens is a good get, but you just can't fill a roster with Montana kids anymore and expect to consistently compete for championships. JMO.

citay said:
Mslacat said:

Yo, Mslacat. Great to have your input. But here's the big issue.

Both the we and the Cats have huge recruiting classes coming in next year. For us we have the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year, Kyndall Keller, together with two other potential stars, Joelnell Momberg, who led Box Elder to a couple of Class "C" titles in Montana, before transferring for her senior year to Mead High in Spokane, where she averaged about 15 points a game; and Bria Dixon from Portland, who as a junior helped her team win the 6A Championship in Oregon, the highest division they have. You put these three players with holdovers Stiles, Pickens and Anderson, and you have the foundation of an excellent team.

Looks good for Montana, right?

But here's the rub. The Cats bring in two potential stars with--gulp--Lady Griz backgrounds. Leia Beattie the daughter of ex-Lady Griz Kelly Pilcher, scored 26.3 ppg for a Midland, Texas high school, while grabbing seven rebounds and dishing out almost five assists and five steals per game. And Lexi Deden from Missoula (!) is the daughter of ex-Lady Griz Dawn Siliker. If these two turn into huge stars, as they well could, the recriminations from Griz Nation will be deafening.

Too, one of the other Lady Griz recruits from Billings, Willa Albrecht, had only one Division I offer, and that was from us. She scored about seven points a game as a junior, and received no interest from the Cats. Given the strength of Tricia Binford's recruiting, we simply can't afford to make mistakes with scholarships. But offering a full ride to a player who averaged seven points a game might be one.
Leia Beattie is going to be big addition for the Bobcats could push for a starting role Ava Ranson from Idaho could also be an impact player, but the gem of the Class is 6-3 Katelynn Lamardo out of New Mexico a 26pt 12rb 3 steal and 3 assist (60 made 150 attempted 3 point shots). Could start at the small forward. I am hearing Lexi Deden they feel has a real chance to contribute early. They really like her toughness and tenacity and could be what they need after all the graduations this year. We have another 6-3 freshman girl coming in and a 6-2 transfer from who started 10 games for Perperdine as a true freshman. Despite that though I think the Bobcats will be more guard oriented team next year.

dbackjon said:
Good game - and even better outcome.

Good to see NAU finally getting some decent BB teams again.

Your LumberJacks (jills?) played with poise.

The big gal (Rasheed) under the basket was killer in gathering in rebounds. Good luck versus the rest of the field.

Shannon should be retained. Sure as hell not there yet, but I believe she now has it going in the right direction. I think she'll get the Lady Griz to where we all want it to be.

As I saw elsewhere MSU's coach Binford was on the verge of being fired just a few years ago. Today she is coach of the year. I think Shannon deserves more than four seasons to prove her worth.

Back