• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz vs. NAU

Yep not an easy decision for Haslam. Glad he’s making it and not me. I’m indifferent at this point. If she stays so be it. If she goes I’m good with that too. I didn’t see that much improvement this year. Still lost some absolute head scratchers.

I lost Pluto with mid-way in the 4th quarter. It will be last attempt at watching on such an unreliable provider. I will watch games live at Adams and read about road games in the paper.

Shannon needs to be done, This is the LADY GRIZ, traditionally, always competing for championships, now they compete to be average.

The Ladies have had a fairly good season, not by Lady Griz standards, but a good season. But look who they lose off this team, 3 good players, and all recruited by Selvig. How many quality players have left UM before exhausting their eligibility during the Shannon years? New recruits are unknown quantities, other then maybe Keller. NONE of the new recruits had offers from anyone else, other than Montana. Compare them to the new recruiting class at MSU>

No question in my mind that it's to move on from Shannon. Not sure what one more year does for anyone. The Lady Griz have become average at best. That's not Lady Griz basketball. Very, very disappointing.

They don’t guard very well. Teams get easy shots against them in critical situations.

I agree, I think it’s time to pull the plug on Schweyen. This was supposed to be the best team that she’s had so far and the best she can do is muster a 4 seed and get bounced in the first game. Decuire won the conference tournament by year 4, why can’t she?

Griz til I die said:
I agree, I think it’s time to pull the plug on Schweyen. This was supposed to be the best team that she’s had so far and the best she can do is muster a 4 seed and get bounced in the first game. Decuire won the conference tournament by year 4, why can’t she?

Because she is a horrible person and her players don't respect her....and she is a horrible coach. Like I have always said...she can't coach her way out of a paper bag!!! Good Riddance!!!

info said:
They don’t guard very well. Teams get easy shots against them in critical situations.

Shannon does not know the first thing about how to coach defense. She is a high school caliber coach at best. But calling her a coach at all is still to kind.....

maroonandsilver said:
I lost Pluto with mid-way in the 4th quarter. It will be last attempt at watching on such an unreliable provider. I will watch games live at Adams and read about road games in the paper.

Shannon needs to be done, This is the LADY GRIZ, traditionally, always competing for championships, now they compete to be average.

The Ladies have had a fairly good season, not by Lady Griz standards, but a good season. But look who they lose off this team, 3 good players, and all recruited by Selvig. How many quality players have left UM before exhausting their eligibility during the Shannon years? New recruits are unknown quantities, other then maybe Keller. NONE of the new recruits had offers from anyone else, other than Montana. Compare them to the new recruiting class at MSU>

do you call 14 & 13 a "good Season"??? Really??? 3 of their wins were from NAIA schools so they don't count. Come on. Also the talent in the big sky isn't as good as it was in years past...except for MSU. Binford has the right mindset and is a great coach and recruiter.....Shannon be gone!!!

moneyball said:
Griz til I die said:

Because she is a horrible person and her players don't respect her....and she is a horrible coach. Like I have always said...she can't coach her way out of a paper bag!!! Good Riddance!!!

Soooo.... You're on the fence?

moneyball said:
Griz til I die said:

Sorry your daughter is not getting the playing time she obviously deserves..............

UncleRico said:
citay said:
HookedonGriz said:
Griz miss 3 at end and lose. Shannon on hot seat.

This is a tough decision, since Shannon's presence at Montana is far more than simply "Head Coach." She's also the greatest player in the history of the Lady Griz program, our only Kodak All-American. Her daughters are members of the team. Her husband is the head track coach.

And while she has not yet returned the program to its glory years, she did have a winning season, and has Jamie Pickens around whom to build. She's also from Helena, and you should never give up on people from Helena.

All things considered, I'm betting she gets one more year. But those closer to the program will have far more insight, especially as to the morale around the team.

That is a very thoughtful post. A lot to consider. I think she should get another year also.

I would add Abby Anderson to Jamie's. There were three tough conference losses (especially the one at Idaho) but I felt the coaches got this team to take some big steps from the previous three years. Go Griz.

I have been watching the Lady Griz from the 80’s. Considering the talent we have to play against, when do we start recruiting for talent outside of Montana? Or is it just coaching. Even when Robin was coaching and we played in March we were always out played by better athletes. The men only have 3 Montana boys. What will it take to get a dominating team?
1. A good coach?
2. Good athletic players. Can we get those in Montana?
3. Do we need to look in CA and other places?
Just wondering,

I have been watching the Lady Griz from the 80’s. Considering the talent we have to play against, when do we start recruiting for talent outside of Montana? Or is it just coaching. Even when Robin was coaching and we played in March we were always out played by better athletes. The men only have 3 Montana boys. What will it take to get a dominating team?
1. A good coach?
Just wondering,

Shannon's record : 4-14 conference and 7-23 overall year one. 9-9 conference and 14 - 17 overall year two. 12-8 conference and 17 - 14 overall year three.

Or look through a different lens, her first year as HC the season home attendance averaged 3,166 per game which ranked 34 nationally. The second year season home attendance averaged 3,180 per game which ranked 38 nationally. I have no idea what the numbers are this year. Although, in 2016, Robin's last year to take the Lady Griz to the Big Dance, attendance average was 3,026 which ranked 38 nationally, just for a number to chew on.

There has been a churning of the roster, that's been well hashed out here ad nauseam. I wont even go into the injuries. That's a whole other topic worthy of a dissertation.

Attendance shows the fans are still with the program, for now. I would say the yearly uptick has earned her another year. Haslam has a tough choice.

IdahoGrizFan said:
1. A good coach?
Just wondering,
Great questions. #3 seems like the best answer, at least from up here in the cheap seats. :thumb:

citay said:
HookedonGriz said:
Griz miss 3 at end and lose. Shannon on hot seat.

This is a tough decision, since Shannon's presence at Montana is far more than simply "Head Coach." She's also the greatest player in the history of the Lady Griz program, our only Kodak All-American. Her daughters are members of the team. Her husband is the head track coach.

And while she has not yet returned the program to its glory years, she did have a winning season, and has Jamie Pickens around whom to build. She's also from Helena, and you should never give up on people from Helena.

All things considered, I'm betting she gets one more year. But those closer to the program will have far more insight, especially as to the morale around the team.

I have no view on whether the coach should stay or go, but, to me, at this point what you said in your first para should have nothing to do with it. Those things got her the job and got her this far. Now, it's time to do what is best for the program. Again, I don't know what is best.

I hear she was given specific performance criteria. Don't know what they were. Losing to NAU, whom they had beaten twice, can't be considered a positive. A bummer end to a season that went better than I thought it would after seeing the early games.

Back