• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

bearister said:
Anyone else just skipping over posts in the PR-UMFan 12 pissing match, or is it just me?

Make that PR-(insert name here) pissing match and I am with you! :thumb:

bearister said:
Anyone else just skipping over posts in the PR-UMFan 12 pissing match, or is it just me?

I'm skipping. I have a sophisticated auto-response system in place. My virtual assistant answers. Like when you go to an RV dealer site.

UMFan12 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Unfortunately, that has not been reality as demonstrated by the Men's program in the recent past. Putting a high quality winning program on the floor has not translated into more fans in the stands.
The men’s program has ranked above 3 PAC 12 teams in attendance for the past few years. Yes, there is room for improvement. But averaging over a little over 4 thousand fans with one Montana native on the roster says something.

The conventional wisdom when Travis came in was, if you put a quality, winning product on the floor, attendance will follow. He has, but a corresponding increase in attendance has not followed. Multiple factors are at play here, but that fact remains.

Not saying that our attendance in both Men's and Women's b-ball are not respectible, especially in comparance with peer institutes, but it is a long way from their hay days that are the benchmarks of comparison.

MikeyGriz said:
UMFan12 said:
The men’s program has ranked above 3 PAC 12 teams in attendance for the past few years. Yes, there is room for improvement. But averaging over a little over 4 thousand fans with one Montana native on the roster says something.

The conventional wisdom when Travis came in was, if you put a quality, winning product on the floor, attendance will follow. He has, but a corresponding increase in attendance has not followed. Multiple factors are at play here, but that fact remains.

Not saying that our attendance in both Men's and Women's b-ball are not respectible, especially in comparance with peer institutes, but it is a long way from their hay days that are the benchmarks of comparison.
Fair point

UMFan12 said:
MikeyGriz said:

Fair point

I think the heyday crowds are a thing of the past, but this isn't unique to UM, it is a trend throughout college athletics.

HelenaHandBasket said:
UMFan12 said:
Fair point

I think the heyday crowds are a thing of the past, but this isn't unique to UM, it is a trend throughout college athletics.

Timely exchange re: attendance. Michael Murtaugh was -- just this week -- hired to address these issues, among other responsibilities, I assume.
https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES/status/1394396180268797958

MikeyGriz said:
UMFan12 said:

The reasons for the poor attendance for UM basketball games has been discussed verbatim. But in my opinion, when the field house was renovated, it transitioned from being a raucous snake-pit with the zoo terrorizing opponents court-side, to a sterile environment with no energy.

hunt-ducks said:
MikeyGriz said:

The reasons for the poor attendance for UM basketball games has been discussed verbatim. But in my opinion, when the field house was renovated, it transitioned from being a raucous snake-pit with the zoo terrorizing opponents court-side, to a sterile environment with no energy.

I think you mean ad nauseum, but one of the reasons for the renovation was to disquise the dwindling attendance even then. I agree moving the zoo was a bad decision. I was there from 77-82 and the zoo was rockin then!

hunt-ducks said:
MikeyGriz said:

Than how come the average attendance of Griz games following the renovation was about the same as the last season before the renovation?

That fact alone kind of takes away the argument that renovation caused the decline.

TrueGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:

Than how come the average attendance of Griz games following the renovation was about the same as the last season before the renovation?

That fact alone kind of takes away the argument that renovation caused the decline.

And why is LG attendance higher than Lady Cat attendance, given that the LCs have been very good and better than the LG in recent history. Obviously, because the LG have more Montanans on the team. Ha. I don't know the reason.

hunt-ducks said:
MikeyGriz said:

you are right about this.

fanofzoo said:
hunt-ducks said:

Not. The zoo stopped terorizing opponents long before the renovation.

PlayerRep said:
TrueGriz said:

And why is LG attendance higher than Lady Cat attendance, given that the LCs have been very good and better than the LG in recent history. Obviously, because the LG have more Montanans on the team. Ha. I don't know the reason.

My guess is ol' pervs.

TrueGriz said:
fanofzoo said:

Not. The zoo stopped terorizing opponents long before the renovation.

Regardless of when it happened, I think we can all agree we'd be better off from an game environment perspective with the students having a bigger court side presence.

Remember that renovation was done half-assed (was supposed to reorient the court to its original direction) but they couldn't get the funding to do it the way they wanted. So rather than hold off, they made the decision to push forward and put forth a remodel plan that conceded a lot. One of the concessions was they needed to put donors and contributors on the floor. Those corporate ticket holders have never attended regularly and don't exhibit the same type of support and it pushed a lot of long time ticket holders out of the bowl completely because of cost. We make it about the students a lot in that scenario, but Hogan's decision to push a lot of ticket holders out of the bowl because of cost changed the dynamics of the bowl considerably.

UM has struggled to get people back in the gym consistently since the remodel and DeCuire has spoken about it extensively. Fewer people attend, they are less engaged, and the environment (one of the significant concessions of the remodel) doesn't help. There was a debate for a time after the remodel as to whether UM was reporting paid attendance (which includes season ticket holders regardless if they show up or not) or ticketed attendance. In either case, that gym feels a lot more empty (even if it sits less than the old version) not only because of structure but because of who sits where.

Been five years since I attended, but I watch almost every game on Pluto, and even from afar for both Mens and womens games is just different. They have talked extensively about how to make the environment better, but I truly think it is more about who is attending and the culture and environment just isn't like the football environment. That unto itself is part of the problem but until they can somehow translate some of that rabidness that used to exist in the hoops fanbase back into it, I just think the Adams Center is going to have that feel.

Grizfan-24 said:
Remember that renovation was done half-assed (was supposed to reorient the court to its original direction) but they couldn't get the funding to do it the way they wanted. So rather than hold off, they made the decision to push forward and put forth a remodel plan that conceded a lot. One of the concessions was they needed to put donors and contributors on the floor. Those corporate ticket holders have never attended regularly and don't exhibit the same type of support and it pushed a lot of long time ticket holders out of the bowl completely because of cost. We make it about the students a lot in that scenario, but Hogan's decision to push a lot of ticket holders out of the bowl because of cost changed the dynamics of the bowl considerably.

UM has struggled to get people back in the gym consistently since the remodel and DeCuire has spoken about it extensively. Fewer people attend, they are less engaged, and the environment (one of the significant concessions of the remodel) doesn't help. There was a debate for a time after the remodel as to whether UM was reporting paid attendance (which includes season ticket holders regardless if they show up or not) or ticketed attendance. In either case, that gym feels a lot more empty (even if it sits less than the old version) not only because of structure but because of who sits where.

Been five years since I attended, but I watch almost every game on Pluto, and even from afar for both Mens and womens games is just different. They have talked extensively about how to make the environment better, but I truly think it is more about who is attending and the culture and environment just isn't like the football environment. That unto itself is part of the problem but until they can somehow translate some of that rabidness that used to exist in the hoops fanbase back into it, I just think the Adams Center is going to have that feel.

It has just become so difficult to attract younger fans and the older, life-long fans have been on a steady decline. This goes much deeper than the missteps taken by UM, it lends itself to an overall change of the population, younger people have so many other options, it seems like less free time to do things, and the costs associated.

Didn't have the money to rotate the floor which would have provided way more seats down below between the baskets for the big money people to have seats there along with the students. My motto is - If you can't do it right in the first place, don't do it at all. They should not have done that renovation until they could do it right.

Latest posts

Back