• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

UMFan12 said:
I think part of the problem here is recruiting people from MT just because they are from MT. Look at MSU for instance. They recruited Bellach from Manhattan Christian and he rarely saw the floor. Quite simply put, if a player isn’t completely dominating the Montana high school basketball scene, they usually(with some exceptions) should not be on a Division One floor. It worries me the same about Rhett Reynolds from Shelby, although he’s 6’8 and is very versatile. Those signings, to me, are far more risky than kids producing in states like California or Washington, and I hope to see Holsinger establish pipelines in some of the bigger states the same way Decuire and Cobb have in California. I know that will probably piss PR off too, but it’s the way it is if you want a winning basketball program.
You should' be concerned about any freshman from Mt, Cali or Washington as both MSU and Um have busts from those states every year.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
I have never said UM should recruit mostly from MT.
Time and time again, you have mentioned how you expect Holsinger to recruit less from Montana. You have also been quite critical of Holsinger and don’t seem to like the hire. All I did was connect the dots, with a little help from this quote.

“ With the year off of in-person, Petrino being liked by fans, the LG fans being older, fewer Montanans on the team and presumably in the future, no Native Americans on the team, the cuts, and at least a few people being irked, it will be interesting to see what happens to the LG support. Men’s support hasn’t been great even in the best years. Maybe it will be great”
Said by you, in another thread. Also find it weird you think a large sum of fans only support Griz basketball teams because of watching kids from Montana. That’s not the case, and those who would no longer watch with a decrease of Montanans would likely be replaced by a similar number of new fans that would come with a winning program.

I have never said or suggested that any Montana team, including the LG, recruit mostly from MT. Nothing in the quote says or insinuates that. Your idea of connecting the dots apparently means making up stuff.

If you don't know that many of the LG fans love following the MT players, then you don't understand LG basketball. I assume you have never attended a LG game.

You really need to work on your reading and your reading comprehension. For the sake of UM, I hope you didn't go to school there.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
BS. You are prejudice against Native Americans. You did the same thing with the MSU Native American transfer. I grew up in MT, and have learned to almost smell prejudice from your types. There's alot of that in MT. I know Momberg's family, have followed her career, and was hoping she would be the next good NA to play for the LG. That's not an obsession. You have the obsession. You don't know her, have never seen her play, have not talked to her coaches, and yet you keep making up stuff and trashing her (even when she's been gone for a month). You keep bringing up Momberg, even when I haven't. Her defense was fine. You realize that you are wrong, and don't know what you are talking, right? A racist and a loser. You've got it all. Stop trashing Native Americans.

Seriously dude, just shut the [#]f### up. You didn't even come up with this narrative of me being prejudiced until another poster brought the idea up. You don't know what you're talking about and are looking for ways to make my opinion seem invalid. Please, explain to me why Momberg deserves a spot over the other 5. Please. I would love to hear it. And on RaeQuan Battle. I don't see how you can say that's prejudice either. Has Battle done anything in his college career other than be an inifficient scorer? You said he'd be the leading scorer for the Cats, and I simply called you out on your lack of College Basketball, and specifically Big Sky Conference basketball knowledge. Adamu, Bishop, and Belo will be the top 3 scorers. I'd love to hear you make an argument that suggests otherwise here as well.

No, I was the first poster to point out your prejudice against Native Americans. I can see the prejudice in your posts. You have trashed the new Cat for a number of things that indicated prejudice.

UMFan12 said:
Directly from his the thread about lady griz cuts, this is PRs first comment. Nope, not about the 5 other players who were also cut, and played more. Momberg. This is what I mean by obsession. Since you want to make it about race without knowing the context, here you go.
“If true, my initial reaction, from row 1 seats, is FU Brian, and the people who hired you. You can have my seats, but I look forward to dogging the you. I assume you can figure out how to attract better players. But you won't have my support if you have cut players. Are you cutting the Native American girl, and will you not recruit Native Americans? I will be curious to see how the the LG support goes, with players cut and out of state players brought in. I bet the guy doesn't have the balls to cut Shannon's daughters.”
AND
“ He will likely recruit from where he has been recruiting and where he has recruiting contacts. I’m assuming he won’t have the time or interest to spend much time in learning to recruit. Momberg’s stepdad is a former Native American high school coach in MT and well known. Doubt that the new coach will get a recommendation from him, if his daughter is one of those being cut.”
AND
“ In little play, Momberg shot 60% from the field, 67% from 3, and 75% from the line. The first two were best on team.

Keller shot 27% (29-109), 31% and 93%. She had a decent amount of rebounds. She also had a bunch of turnovers.

Albrecht 42, 50 and 65.”

AND
“ I am moving on and won't be supporting the program anymore, but the new coach irked me with his apparently unprecedented actions and I will continue to comment on his actions. In my view, The House That Rob Built has now ended. Too bad, in my view. I agree that treated players fairy and helping them get a good education is very important.Terminating 6 scholarships doesn't fulfill that mission.”

AND
“ I am not acting like he cut the best players. Don't call me dude, and learn how to read. I would not have cut Momberg. I have followed her since high school and talked to coaches about her. I don't think I would have cut the Schweyens either, subject to knowing more about injuries, etc. I didn't follow the others closely enough to have an opinion. I had heard the coaches thought some of the other frosh had potential, but would need a bit longer to make an impact”

AND
“ I don’t agree the roster was full of naia players. Had the team had the two who transferred at end of last season, the team would have been fine this year.

If the team has only 4 d-1 players as someone from the athletic dept supposedly said,
why didn’t 3 more get cut?

Hopefully, the coach, who has only been head coach in naia, will be a d-1 coach.

With the year off of in-person, Petrino being liked by fans, the LG fans being older, fewer Montanans on the team and presumably in the future, no Native Americans on the team, the cuts, and at least a few people being irked, it will be interesting to see what happens to the LG support. Men’s support hasn’t been great even in the best years. Maybe it will be great”

AND
“ What the new coach did has put these players in a tough spot. They weren't in the recruiting/looking mode, so are out of that loop. Plus, the cutting will taint them for awhile. They will probably have to work their way up, unless they get lucky and find a good landing spot. I don't know how much room Carroll might have for the some of them or the Schweyens in particular. I look forward to schools like Carroll and Western tasking on the LG in the future, if the new coach would take that risk. Maybe Petrino should take them to Angelo St and make that school a power for that level. Also, I didn't say any of these players would be impact players for the LG next year; just that some deserved to be kept on the team.”

AND
“ From a Missoulian article last Nov:

"The difference from last year's practices is we play a lot more," said junior forward Abby Anderson, one of three returning starters along with guards Sophia Stiles and Madi Schoening. "We're doing little competitions all the time, and it's building everyone's competitive side up.

"Then at the end, when we are scrimmaging, it gets scrappy and words are exchanged. That's different for us, but I like it. We're learning to be a lot more gritty. We're going to need grit and sass to make up for the players we lost."

"All of our five true freshmen are super competitive and they don't back down at all," Anderson said of a group that includes Montana natives Willa Albrecht, Kyndall Keller, Joelnell Momberg and Karsen Murphy and Portland's Bria Dixson.

"They're super vocal. It's a different freshman group than I've ever seen. They're confident. I think that's really cool."

Need any more examples or is that enough?

Examples of what? You seem like a crazy posting nonsense. Get a grip, man. Go tell the new Cat to his face, what you think of him, and see what kind of reaction you get.

wyomingriz said:
PlayerRep said:
No personal attacks at all, except with the one guy who keeps trashing me and the two Native Americans. I have a right to state my views, and I will continue to do so. I have never suggested that anyone agree with me. You need to work on your reading.

Can we debate anything anymore without someone using "racism" as a weapon win the argument?

I'm not trying to win any argument. I'm just pointing out 12's prejudice. I'm Native American. I don't like prejudice against Native Americans. Let me know if you are NA and understand what prejudice is and feels like. I'd be making the same comments against 12, if I agreed with him. I think it's funny when non-POC's try to tell POC what prejudice is. To me, that is prejudice in and of itself.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
I have never said UM should recruit mostly from MT.
Time and time again, you have mentioned how you expect Holsinger to recruit less from Montana. You have also been quite critical of Holsinger and don’t seem to like the hire. All I did was connect the dots, with a little help from this quote.

“ With the year off of in-person, Petrino being liked by fans, the LG fans being older, fewer Montanans on the team and presumably in the future, no Native Americans on the team, the cuts, and at least a few people being irked, it will be interesting to see what happens to the LG support. Men’s support hasn’t been great even in the best years. Maybe it will be great”
Said by you, in another thread. Also find it weird you think a large sum of fans only support Griz basketball teams because of watching kids from Montana. That’s not the case, and those who would no longer watch with a decrease of Montanans would likely be replaced by a similar number of new fans that would come with a winning program.

One more thing. The LG will likely have 4 Montanans on the roster next fall, the lowers in LG history.

LittleBear said:
UMFan12 said:
I think part of the problem here is recruiting people from MT just because they are from MT. Look at MSU for instance. They recruited Bellach from Manhattan Christian and he rarely saw the floor. Quite simply put, if a player isn’t completely dominating the Montana high school basketball scene, they usually(with some exceptions) should not be on a Division One floor. It worries me the same about Rhett Reynolds from Shelby, although he’s 6’8 and is very versatile. Those signings, to me, are far more risky than kids producing in states like California or Washington, and I hope to see Holsinger establish pipelines in some of the bigger states the same way Decuire and Cobb have in California. I know that will probably piss PR off too, but it’s the way it is if you want a winning basketball program.

Rhett is definitely a division 1 player...and should be at UM. His skill set is far more advanced than Mack’s was at the same point in his career, and he has the size and length to play at this level. Unlike the LG, the Griz dont sacrifice scholarships just to take players from MT.

The Lady Griz have been taking bad players (comparatively speaking) from the state for far too long just because they’re from Montana. We live in an AAU age where if you can hoop you will get seen. So either Montana’s grassroots teams aren’t doing a good job of getting Montana hs players exposure or the state just isn’t producing the talent that some people think it is. In the past, players that were actually good enough got offers outside the state (Zags, Wyoming, Idaho). Why were there so many Lady Griz on the roster with only Lady Griz offers?

Momberg committing early isn’t a good excuse as to why she isnt going D1 after UM. If she were a true D1 talent schools would have been on her regardless of her commitment....and once she entered the portal those same schools or their peers would have offered her a scholarship. College coaches don’t just turn a blind eye to a player once they commit. In the age of the portal it’s likely that a player will transfer for one reason or the other.

That being said I’m happy she’s going to Western and i hope she’ll have a good career.

Thanks. I just assumed D-I coaches would have quit banging on her door in Box Elder after she committed to the LG.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
Seriously dude, just shut the [#]f### up. You didn't even come up with this narrative of me being prejudiced until another poster brought the idea up. You don't know what you're talking about and are looking for ways to make my opinion seem invalid. Please, explain to me why Momberg deserves a spot over the other 5. Please. I would love to hear it. And on RaeQuan Battle. I don't see how you can say that's prejudice either. Has Battle done anything in his college career other than be an inifficient scorer? You said he'd be the leading scorer for the Cats, and I simply called you out on your lack of College Basketball, and specifically Big Sky Conference basketball knowledge. Adamu, Bishop, and Belo will be the top 3 scorers. I'd love to hear you make an argument that suggests otherwise here as well.

No, I was the first poster to point out your prejudice against Native Americans. I can see the prejudice in your posts. You have trashed the new Cat for a number of things that indicated prejudice.

Stop lying PR. Washgrizfan1 did first, your narrative I was prejudice was springboarded off of that and has no backing. I have a different opinion than you, so what. You don’t have to try to remove me from the board because of it. I have made similar comments that I made about RaeQuan Battle about Tevian Jones, who is not a Native American. This is a basketball forum, and those two players have remarkable similarities in that they are both incredible athletes, but lack in the basketball IQ department and shot selection needed to take them to the next level. If you’d like to know why MSU beat SUU in the tourney last year, it was Tevian Jones making dumb decisions. Which is why I have no clue why Sprinkle saw a player like that and decided to get one of his own. Anyways, I’d like to see you bring any quotes of myself being in any way prejudice. I’ll wait.

PlayerRep said:
wyomingriz said:
Can we debate anything anymore without someone using "racism" as a weapon win the argument?

I'm not trying to win any argument. I'm just pointing out 12's prejudice. I'm Native American. I don't like prejudice against Native Americans. Let me know if you are NA and understand what prejudice is and feels like. I'd be making the same comments against 12, if I agreed with him. I think it's funny when non-POC's try to tell POC what prejudice is. To me, that is prejudice in and of itself.
Not Native but married to one. Just seems that prejudice card blows up good discussions and turns conversations sour... All I have read is one poster not thinking a Native girl is D1 and you disagreeing, doesn't make him racist. A lot of great Native Lady Griz in the past but this one is a solid NAIA player and will be a good fit at UMW. I think she will be relieved in 3 or 4 years after solid career, heck she might be happy now.

wyomingriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Not Native but married to one. Just seems that prejudice card blows up good discussions and turns conversations sour... All I have read is one poster not thinking a Native girl is D1 and you disagreeing, doesn't make him racist. A lot of great Native Lady Griz in the past but this one is a solid NAIA player and will be a good fit at UMW. I think she will be relieved in 3 or 4 years after solid career, heck she might be happy now.

You obviously haven't been following the discussion. My comments on 12's prejudice are based on a variety of things he said, most of which were said about the new Cat who is Native American. My view has nothing to do with whether Momberg is D-I are not. You of all people should understand the huge historic amount of prejudice against Indians in MT. Why are so many Griz fans such bad readers?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Stop lying PR. Washgrizfan1 did first, your narrative I was prejudice was springboarded off of that and has no backing. I have a different opinion than you, so what. You don’t have to try to remove me from the board because of it. I have made similar comments that I made about RaeQuan Battle about Tevian Jones, who is not a Native American. This is a basketball forum, and those two players have remarkable similarities in that they are both incredible athletes, but lack in the basketball IQ department and shot selection needed to take them to the next level. If you’d like to know why MSU beat SUU in the tourney last year, it was Tevian Jones making dumb decisions. Which is why I have no clue why Sprinkle saw a player like that and decided to get one of his own. Anyways, I’d like to see you bring any quotes of myself being in any way prejudice. I’ll wait.

No, I started noticing your prejudice earlier in the Cat transfer thread. You were calling him out for reservation things and thinking you knew what a NA kid from the res would be thinking and doing.

It's true that you have "no clue". You think you know more than Sprinkle. That's very telling and pretty funny.

PlayerRep said:
wyomingriz said:

You obviously haven't been following the discussion. My comments on 12's prejudice are based on a variety of things he said, most of which were said about the new Cat who is Native American. My view has nothing to do with whether Momberg is D-I are not. You of all people should understand the huge historic amount of prejudice against Indians in MT. Why are so many Griz fans such bad readers?

Whatever PR. I was already right Momberg isn’t D-1. I will also be right when Battle doesn’t lead the Cats in scoring. And I will be right again when SUU has shortcomings because of Tevian Jones for the second straight year.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

No, I started noticing your prejudice earlier in the Cat transfer thread. You were calling him out for reservation things and thinking you knew what a NA kid from the res would be thinking and doing.

It's true that you have "no clue". You think you know more than Sprinkle. That's very telling and pretty funny.

Once again PR, a quote. Anything.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Whatever PR. I was already right Momberg isn’t D-1. I will also be right when Battle doesn’t lead the Cats in scoring. And I will be right again when SUU has shortcomings because of Tevian Jones for the second straight year.
You might be right that he won't be our leading scorer. We have pretty good scorers. I don't think you're right on his "low IQ" that you keep mentioning. I haven't heard this anywhere about him at any time. I've dug up countless articles and have never seen this suggested. I've shared beers with members of our current staff and none suggested he has a low IQ.

I've heard him called impatient. He has a shooters mentality and when the shot isn't falling people are quick to look at the shots and call them bad shots. I've played with and coached many guys that I thought took bad shots at times who had very high hoops IQ's. Especially those in a slump, trying to get their shot going.

Calling him low IQ when no one has ever said this is the case seems odd to me. I guess we'll see in the coming seasons. :?

ilovethecats said:
UMFan12 said:
You might be right that he won't be our leading scorer. We have pretty good scorers. I don't think you're right on his "low IQ" that you keep mentioning. I haven't heard this anywhere about him at any time. I've dug up countless articles and have never seen this suggested. I've shared beers with members of our current staff and none suggested he has a low IQ.

I've heard him called impatient. He has a shooters mentality and when the shot isn't falling people are quick to look at the shots and call them bad shots. I've played with and coached many guys that I thought took bad shots at times who had very high hoops IQ's. Especially those in a slump, trying to get their shot going.

Calling him low IQ when no one has ever said this is the case seems odd to me. I guess we'll see in the coming seasons. :?
By “low IQ” I didn’t by any means mean classroom. I’m sure he’s classroom smart as he attended the University of Washington. I was talking basketball IQ smarts, and specifically shot selection. In my mind, you can’t quantify anyone as being a smart basketball player if they rush shots, shoot bad shots, take early shot clock shots on a consistent basis, regardless of how well they understand other areas of the game. From the 10 or so games I watched of Battle over his 2 years at UW, this is what I saw consistently. Another thing I saw was his willingness to crash the offensive glass, which is a good thing. However, I see no way he can outscore Bello, Adamu, or Bishop. Those are all proven Division 1 scorers who have done so efficiently and across multiple years. Just my opinion and if other people have different ways they quantify basketball IQ, that’s fine.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

The stories and careers of those 2 are not over; just beginning for Momberg.

ilovethecats said:
UMFan12 said:

12 is prejudiced against Native Americans. He made a variety of comments like that against your new player. I noticed those things from the get-go.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Calling the new Cat low IQ without any back-up. See above. A number of your reservation-related comments against the new Cat and the LG were indications of prejudice. In experience, many people who claim "what me, I'm not prejudiced" are indications of prejudice. You are ignorant and clueless, in my view.

Just one quote PR...Just one...Until you can produce one. Stop your bullshit and stop calling me prejudice.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

Calling the new Cat low IQ without any back-up. See above. A number of your reservation-related comments against the new Cat and the LG were indications of prejudice. In experience, many people who claim "what me, I'm not prejudiced" are indications of prejudice. You are ignorant and clueless, in my view.
Are you trying to say Battle doesn’t have poor shot selection?

Latest posts

Back