• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

Could someone, knowledgeable, please enlighten me as to the differences between a 3-3-5 DE and a 4-3-4 DE, especially one who might prefer OLB or TE? Serious question.

Could someone, knowledgeable, please enlighten me as to the differences between a 3-3-5 DE and a 4-3-4 DE, especially one who might prefer OLB or TE? Serious question.
A 4-3 DE has less OL to deal with then a 3-3-5 therefore it’s easier for him to get to the QB, and get sacks. Most 3-3-5 DE don’t get very many sacks while 4-3 DE’s get a good bit more.

'Bama, thanks for the quick explanation. I don't read topics that appear to be pissin' matches, although I did go back to get the info out of the 3-3-5 thread. Good thing I was wearing my chest high waders.

I know HHH said Edwards wanted to play DE in a 4-3, but I have never heard that. If true, why would someone in his position leave the Griz to play DE in a 4-3, instead of DE in a 3-3-5, and go to a weak program and weak city like New Mexico State. Smaller crowds, no playoffs, no chance of national championship run, further from his hometown in Idaho? Seems odd to me. Does NMS play some NIL to players? See the tiny NIL in this link: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/?team-key=16819

I know HHH said Edwards wanted to play DE in a 4-3, but I have never heard that. If true, why would someone in his position leave the Griz to play DE in a 4-3, instead of DE in a 3-3-5, and go to a weak program and weak city like New Mexico State. Smaller crowds, no playoffs, no chance of national championship run, further from his hometown in Idaho? Seems odd to me. Does NMS play some NIL to players? See the tiny NIL in this link: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/?team-key=16819
I think they captured some attention last year. Who knows if they can regain it this year with Kill stepping down. He will likely be a part of more nationally televised games. The irony is that the Conference USA schedule contains a lot of recent fcs teams (Liberty, Jacksonville St, Sam Houston State) and they open against SEMO.

I think it had less to do with money than opportunity to improve his stock. Conference USA only had 3 players drafted this year. 3 more than the Big Sky, but I don’t know how much it improves the odds. Seems to me starting in a defense where you can put up stats and build film versus taking the chance of having to earn that playing time again at a new program for one year is a big gamble. We will start to see some outcomes from these transfers, and guys will learn that building a legacy at a program like UM has more merit long term than a flyer at the league by transferring.

I hear ya but if he's looking for exposure this doesn't seem like a good approach. I know someone will say they play Texas A&M but I would think a few marquee Griz games and a long run through the playoffs would have a greater impact, especially if your team is winning and not getting their asses handed to them in College Station...
A team winning has nothing to do with the talent of 1 player. If he plays good against much stronger competition, that proves he can compete. Playing in the playoffs against Mercer isn't going to help your stock, at all. Don't know why this is hard for some to understand. You play weak competition, it's hard to tell how good a player is, you play against the best, you can tell.

A team winning has nothing to do with the talent of 1 player. If he plays good against much stronger competition, that proves he can compete. Playing in the playoffs against Mercer isn't going to help your stock, at all. Don't know why this is hard for some to understand. You play weak competition, it's hard to tell how good a player is, you play against the best, you can tell.
Playing against SDSU, NDSU, and MSU, which have multiple players and o-lineman headed to the NFL, is better than what he will face next season, except for one school. Don't know why that's hard for some to understand.

SDSU players to NFL this year. The 4th rounder is an o-lineman. The SDSU RB was a 5th rounder. See below. 2 NDSU players signed with NFL. 2 Cat o-linemen who went to portal will get NFL contracts next year. Texas AM had 1 o-lineman drafted and 1 as free agent. Texas AM doesn't have any RB's going to NFL. More SDSU players signed by NFL than Texas AM.
  • "The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted South Dakota State’s Mason McCormick in the fourth round with the 119th pick
  • The New York Jets drafted South Dakota State’s Isaiah Davis in the fifth round with the 173rd pick
  • The Cleveland Browns drafted South Dakota’s Myles Harden in the seventh round with the 227th pick
  • South Dakota State’s Garret Greenfield signed with the Seattle Seahawks
  • South Dakota State’s Dyshawn Gales signed with the Cleveland Browns
  • South Dakota State’s Isaiah Stahlbird signed with the New Orleans Saints
  • South Dakota State’s Jaxon Janke signed with the Houston Texans
  • South Dakota State’s Jadon Janke signed with the Houston Texans
  • South Dakota State’s Zach Heins signed with the Los Angeles Chargers
  • South Dakota’s Brendan Webb was invited to the San Francisco 49ers rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Isaac Erbes was invited to the Tennessee Titans rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Stephen Hillis was invited to the Buffalo Bills rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Brock Mogensen signed a UDFA deal with the Dallas Cowboys"

Playing against SDSU, NDSU, and MSU, which have multiple players and o-lineman headed to the NFL, is better than what he will face next season, except for one school. Don't know why that's hard for some to understand.

SDSU players to NFL this year. The 4th rounder is an o-lineman. The SDSU RB was a 5th rounder. See below. 2 NDSU players signed with NFL. 2 Cat o-linemen who went to portal will get NFL contracts next year. Texas AM had 1 o-lineman drafted and 1 as free agent. Texas AM doesn't have any RB's going to NFL. More SDSU players signed by NFL than Texas AM.
  • "The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted South Dakota State’s Mason McCormick in the fourth round with the 119th pick
  • The New York Jets drafted South Dakota State’s Isaiah Davis in the fifth round with the 173rd pick
  • The Cleveland Browns drafted South Dakota’s Myles Harden in the seventh round with the 227th pick
  • South Dakota State’s Garret Greenfield signed with the Seattle Seahawks
  • South Dakota State’s Dyshawn Gales signed with the Cleveland Browns
  • South Dakota State’s Isaiah Stahlbird signed with the New Orleans Saints
  • South Dakota State’s Jaxon Janke signed with the Houston Texans
  • South Dakota State’s Jadon Janke signed with the Houston Texans
  • South Dakota State’s Zach Heins signed with the Los Angeles Chargers
  • South Dakota’s Brendan Webb was invited to the San Francisco 49ers rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Isaac Erbes was invited to the Tennessee Titans rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Stephen Hillis was invited to the Buffalo Bills rookie camp
  • South Dakota’s Brock Mogensen signed a UDFA deal with the Dallas Cowboys"
Since we played South Dakota for the NATTY I am sure we (GRIZ) have at least 1/3 maybe even half as many drafted or signed FAC.Please provide a list.

Teams on NMST schedule next year and they’re draft pick/UDFA lists from this year

Tex A&M
Edgerrin Cooper
McKinnley Jackson
Layden Robinson
Anias Smith
Josh DeBarry UDFA
Demani Richardson UDFA

W Ken
Malichi Corley
Austin Reed UDFA

Fresno St
Carleton Johnson UDFA

Liberty
X’Zauvea Gadlin

SE Missouri FCS
Ryan Flournoy

I don’t know what he wants to play, but a DE in a 3 front is very different than a DE in a 4 man front.

A DE in a 3 man front is essentially an interior defensive lineman in terms of role and line positioning. A DE in a 4 man front is usually considered an edge. They’re playing on the edge, get to do a lot more pass rushing on the outside of the line. A 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB are basically the same position, except the former plays with his hand in the dirt, the latter doesn’t. A 3-3-5 doesn’t offer a lot positionally in terms of traditional pass rushing roles, and if Edwards wants to show he can do that only at the next level, it makes sense to play for a different defense.

Teams on NMST schedule next year and they’re draft pick/UDFA lists from this year

Tex A&M
Edgerrin Cooper
McKinnley Jackson
Layden Robinson
Anias Smith
Josh DeBarry UDFA
Demani Richardson UDFA

W Ken
Malichi Corley
Austin Reed UDFA

Fresno St
Carleton Johnson UDFA

Liberty
X’Zauvea Gadlin

SE Missouri FCS
Ryan Flournoy
How many o-lineman and rb’s in teams other than AM?

I don’t know what he wants to play, but a DE in a 3 front is very different than a DE in a 4 man front.

A DE in a 3 man front is essentially an interior defensive lineman in terms of role and line positioning. A DE in a 4 man front is usually considered an edge. They’re playing on the edge, get to do a lot more pass rushing on the outside of the line. A 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB are basically the same position, except the former plays with his hand in the dirt, the latter doesn’t. A 3-3-5 doesn’t offer a lot positionally in terms of traditional pass rushing roles, and if Edwards wants to show he can do that only at the next level, it makes sense to play for a different defense.
The Griz have many sets other than 3 down lineman. What position does off d-lineman play if LB is on line of scrimmage on other side? Not internal lineman.

Latest posts

Back