• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Just Reported In Spokane

Do we know how the other party is doing for sure? I read fractured skull which sounds pretty dang bad. I did not hear or read "coma" until this thread. Is that part certain as well? I mean this could go downhill very quickly if this person doesn't recover and have dire consequences for many involved.

This is just a really unfortunate deal for everybody regardless of how it started and plays out, hopefully the other guy will be ok in the end.

IdaGriz01 said:
jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
dayday said:
It also says released on his own recognizance. Which are conflicting things. Obviously termed wrong. Not totally familiar with how they do it in Washington. My guess is that it was initially set at that then after no charges filed they released him as they didn't have probable cause enough to restrict his liberty as the investigation continues.
That's the only way it would make sense. Statutory dollar amount upon booking based on the arrest, but then ROR after it became a non-starter. I don't see how he could be ROR, and have bail retroactively set, but I'm no Big City lawyer.
Makes sense that they would hold some money while this plays out, with possible injuries that might not show up until the alcohol goes away or a day later they need a hook to keep everybody within arms length if they need them...did anybody else have to post bond on the other side?
I googled it and found that booking and bail (or ROR) can, and does, happen routinely before formal charges are filed. As noted, it's a way to keep a handle on the booked and released person while the investigation proceeds.

Yes, I get that. But how is one ROR with bail set at 50k? I thought one could be released on his own recognizance, or released on bail, not somehow both.

George Ferguson said:
It's not hard to figure out who was there. Let's just say running back the secondary are going to be REALLY THIN against Weber.

Do you have info suggesting these other players in fact hit this young man or just because they were present?

nzone said:
George Ferguson said:
It's not hard to figure out who was there. Let's just say running back the secondary are going to be REALLY THIN against Weber.

Do you have info suggesting these other players in fact hit this young man or just because they were present?

I have info that Strong wasn't originally the one who fought.

Is fighting without an arrest cause for sitting? Or did they break team rules by putting themselves in that situation? Just asking no intent....

ordigger said:
Pretty bad senior leadership this year. First Strahm, now Strong. I would think that Stitt will take some serious action against him, if left in his hands at all. He has to to, to remain consistent in his handling of Strahm's DUI. I wouldn't be surprised to see him done for the year.

A killer with NAU coming up.

If he's charged and pleads to a misdemeanor, then his case and Strahm's are similar. As of now, they aren't very much alike at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CDAGRIZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
I googled it and found that booking and bail (or ROR) can, and does, happen routinely before formal charges are filed. As noted, it's a way to keep a handle on the booked and released person while the investigation proceeds.
Yes, I get that. But how is one ROR with bail set at 50k? I thought one could be released on his own recognizance, or released on bail, not somehow both.
As I understand it (through the cloud of uncertainty), the police decided Strong did not need to sit in jail after he was booked, probably at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning. Hence, the ROR. And apparently they also decided it was not important enough to wake up a judge ... so off he goes on Sunday night. Then, Monday morning, a judges gets the file, sees that the one guy is in the hospital, seriously hurt, and says, "Whoa, this could lead to a serious assault charge." So he sets a fairly stiff bail ... to assure Strong's appearance if he's called. Just my take, but it does make a kind of sense.

George Ferguson said:
nzone said:
George Ferguson said:

Are you implying that it was our WSU transfers that were with him? Do you know this?

As of 9:30 p.m. Monday, Strong remains on the roster, as "no action has been taken," said Haslam.

When more is known, Haslam said, "We'll definitely announce what's going on."

This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-safety-justin-strong-arrested-booked-for-felony-assault-in/article_58cc4dd8-e6d0-54c0-8b58-55d70889cbdc.html

dayday said:
BDizzle said:
His bond was set at $50,000. Need to read Amies article.

It also says released on his own recognizance. Which are conflicting things. Obviously termed wrong. Not totally familiar with how they do it in Washington. My guess is that it was initially set at that then after no charges filed they released him as they didn't have probable cause enough to restrict his liberty as the investigation continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could have been released OR on Saturday night with a notice to appear Monday morning, when bail was set before a judge. Hard to tell, though. The reporter on the bar fight and house party beat is usually pretty new and understands next to nothing about the court system.

Griz senior safety Justin Strong was arrested for allegedly beating a Washington State student in Pullman, Washington, Saturday. KHQ-TV, a Spokane NBC affiliate, broke the news.

The report said Strong told police the victim assaulted him at a house party, and he hit the victim twice, once knocking him to the ground and a second time when the victim tried to get up. The victim suffered a fractured skull and was flown from Pullman to Spokane for treatment.

Strong was "booked" with second degree assault, a felony offense in Washington. He was booked into the Whitman County Jail and was released without bond. It was unclear if charges have been filed.

The Missoulian reported Strong’s bail was set at $50,000, but Strong was released during his first court appearance Monday.

The Montana Student-Athlete Code of Conduct states that a player is subject to immediate suspension if charged with a felony. There is no word on the state of Strong’s eligibility yet.

The Montana Kaimin will update this story as more information becomes available.

From the article:

In a phone call Monday night, Montana Athletic Director Kent Haslam told 406mtsports.com that he was made aware of the situation on Saturday afternoon.

"We need to understand more about what happened," Haslam said. "We don't know enough of the details."

Haslam said once details are provided, he wants to, "move as quickly and judiciously as we can."

As of 9:30 p.m. Monday, Strong remains on the roster, as "no action has been taken," said Haslam.

By Eric Clements - MTN News

PULLMAN, WASH. – Montana Grizzly safety Justin Strong faces assault charges for an incident that happened over the weekend.

The Pullman, Wash., Police Department reports that Strong was arrested around early Saturday morning near Stadium Way and Harvey Road in Pullman, the home of Washington State University. The 22-year-old is accused of second-degree assault, stemming from a what Pullman police call a “citizen dispute”.

Strong has had a solid season for the Griz so far, recording 31 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 3 interceptions with one return for a touchdown.

The senior was also recently one of the Big Sky Conference’s players of the week after 116 yards of interception returns against Portland State on Sept. 30, all while wearing an arm cast.

This is a developing story

A University of Montana football player was arrested for allegedly beating a WSU student on College Hill in Pullman, according to Pullman Radio News. Pullman Police officials were not immediately available for comment on the investigation.
Senior safety Justin Strong was arrested for second degree assault and released without bond Monday. Charges have yet to be filed.
This story will be updated with more information as it comes in

https://dailyevergreen.com/19584/sports/university-of-montana-football-player-arrested-for-allegedly-beating-wsu-student/

" Witnesses told police the man had been beaten by a group of men. "

PULLMAN, Wash. -
A University of Montana football player was arrested for allegedly beating a Washington State University student in Pullman on Saturday morning

Pullman police responded to a fight shortly after midnight on Saturday on Stadium Way. Officers found a 23-year-old man unresponsive and suffering from head injuries. Witnesses told police the man had been beaten by a group of men.

Police found one suspect, identified as 22-year-old Justin Strong of Missoula. Court documents say Strong told police that he was assaulted by the victim while trying to break up a fight at a house party. Strong told police he acted in self-defense when he hit the victim, knocking him to the ground, then hit him a second time when he tried to get up.

The victim was taken to Pullman Regional Hospital with a skull fracture before being flown to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane for treatment.

Pullman Police say they are trying to identify possible other suspects.

Strong was arrested for second degree assault and booked into the Whitman County Jail. He was released without bond during his first court appearance on Monday. Charges have not been filed pending the outcome of the Pullman Police investigation.

http://www.khq.com/story/36664181/university-of-montana-football-player-arrested-for-allegedly-beating-wsu-student

G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:
nzone said:
George Ferguson said:

Are you implying that it was our WSU transfers that were with him? Do you know this?
You might want to check the Havre Daily News tomorrow. I will.

reinell30 said:
Knocking an individual to the ground is self defense to protect yourself or others. Hitting them again while they are trying to get up is assault! That is where you walk away...

Then you shouldn't have given me that additional shot of fireball...

bearister said:
dayday said:
BDizzle said:
His bond was set at $50,000. Need to read Amies article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could have been released OR on Saturday night with a notice to appear Monday morning, when bail was set before a judge. Hard to tell, though. The reporter on the bar fight and house party beat is usually pretty new and understands next to nothing about the court system.

Yeah, but KHQ-TV says he was released OR "during" his court appearance on Monday. I'm thinking your last sentence is spot on when it comes to this.

Latest posts

Back