• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Just Couldn't Resist

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
SacSt is not a mediocre team.

So when you picked UM to beat them by double digits did you think they were really good but the griz were just elite?
I think I picked UM 31-20. Bias showing. I was wrong. Been wrong before. Had no idea how good SacSt was; best OL I've seen. Surprised the way they manhandled our D front. It looks like only UCD is in their way for an undefeated conf record. And x-Griz DC Andy Thompson had our compromised offense right where he wanted them all day; they never once looked surprised. MSU is lucky to not have them on the schedule.

It’s almost like people forget this team was really good before the injuries. Now we’re just “mediocre”, well ya, Eastern was mediocre after all their injuries in 2019. We haven’t been mediocre all year, we are elite when we’re healthy. That’s the difference and that’s what driving me crazy about these statements. Everybody’s acting like we’re 100% healthy and losing these games. Get real guys!

grizfnz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I will give a few reasons for this trend. 1. The failure in the program since Hauck left until he returned. Those other schools made huge strides while the Griz program faltered and it is silly to think that 3 years of Hauck can completely flip that trend. 2. Academics, at least when compared to MSU. Most Montana kids are good students and are looking for STEM based majors. 3. EWU and Weber have made solid progress in recruiting there own states and then winning makes it easier to reach out to Cali and Az. It takes time and victories to reverse trends like that.
With regards to STEM, the only piece Montana doesn’t offer is engineering and it looks like there are 18 players on the cat roster with engineering listed the field of study…..including 2 listed under “financial engineering”.

Cat fans love to tout STEM and bash Montana for its liberal arts, meanwhile Troy Andersen and a couple others on the roster are pursuing liberal studies degrees.

Well it was in reference to in-state kids that prefer Engineering and related fields of study. As for the others, maybe they just like cowboy hats.

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:
So when you picked UM to beat them by double digits did you think they were really good but the griz were just elite?
I think I picked UM 31-20. Bias showing. I was wrong. Been wrong before. Had no idea how good SacSt was; best OL I've seen. Surprised the way they manhandled our D front. It looks like only UCD is in their way for an undefeated conf record. And x-Griz DC Andy Thompson had our compromised offense right where he wanted them all day; they never once looked surprised. MSU is lucky to not have them on the schedule.
We might be lucky to not play them. They beat us good two years ago. But we’ll never know.

In general I always get a kick out of the predictions before a game where everyone always picks their team (obviously) and usually by a large margin. Rarely giving the other team respect. Then said team beats them and suddenly they are this great team! Trust me it happens on BN too.

It’s possible Sac is incredible. Maybe the best in the league but we’ll never know thanks to this stupid conference and everyone not playing everyone. Maybe their O-Line is in fact the best in the league. But they beat Dixie by 12 and Idaho St by 2. Which is why looking at 1 game, or a teams schedule they can’t control is rarely a great indicator of a full season.

We’ll know far more about our teams in a month. Maybe the Cats are as awful as you think. Guess we’ll find out!

Griz til I die said:
It’s almost like people forget this team was really good before the injuries. Now we’re just “mediocre”, well ya, Eastern was mediocre after all their injuries in 2019. We haven’t been mediocre all year, we are elite when we’re healthy. That’s the difference and that’s what driving me crazy about these statements. Everybody’s acting like we’re 100% healthy and losing these games. Get real guys!

I wouldn't say the offense was ever "very good" this season.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Please Helena, you know god damn well this offense would’ve been much more prolific if Knight and Ostmo wouldn’t have gotten hurt before the season. Having either one of them opens up so much more for the offense to do. Having both of them though takes the offense to an elite level IMO.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Please Helena, you know god damn well this offense would’ve been much more prolific if Knight and Ostmo wouldn’t have gotten hurt before the season. Having either one of them opens up so much more for the offense to do. Having both of them though takes the offense to an elite level IMO.

You can assume, but based on actual results, it hasn't been. I just don't think UM has the QB to be an elite offense, but they didn't have to be elite to have success,

ilovethecats said:
Maybe the Cats are as awful as you think. Guess we’ll find out!
Never said the Cats are awful. Said they put up 222 yards total offense against the first decent team they've played since Wyoming, which just got shut out at home. They are tough on the LOS and play good defense, although the pass defense looks vulnerable. Stopping Barriere will be a major challenge. They do not look dangerous offensively as some have claimed. If you stop Ifanse, they will not pile up a lot of points. You can't let him run down your throat because he's tough enough to do it all day and keep the ball away from you. Should he go down you would be in real trouble. Like we are. The Griz will need to return to some form for the Brawl to be a real battle.

Sport said:
As much as it hurts I have to agree with hunt-ducks not because he hits the nail on the head but because it hurts to admit there are definitely deficiencies in our system. We have all the ingredients to be a year on year powerhouse in the FCS. Stadium, tradition, campions center, soon hopefully an indoor practice facility and a rabid fan base. These are not built overnight and if something isn’t addressed soon we stand to lose the most important element, our fan base who supports with butts in the seats and their pocketbooks.
This is not an indictment of Bobby and I’m not versed enough in the X’s and O’s to cast dispersions on any of his staff but somethings not right in River city. It’s easy to blame it on injuries, desertions or youth but the reality is there are changes needing to be made. Maybe we can right the ship by Griz/cat game but the issues run deeper than finishing with a positive record.
I agree with hunt-ducks and this ^^^^^

grizeyes said:
Sport said:
As much as it hurts I have to agree with hunt-ducks not because he hits the nail on the head but because it hurts to admit there are definitely deficiencies in our system. We have all the ingredients to be a year on year powerhouse in the FCS. Stadium, tradition, campions center, soon hopefully an indoor practice facility and a rabid fan base. These are not built overnight and if something isn’t addressed soon we stand to lose the most important element, our fan base who supports with butts in the seats and their pocketbooks.
This is not an indictment of Bobby and I’m not versed enough in the X’s and O’s to cast dispersions on any of his staff but somethings not right in River city. It’s easy to blame it on injuries, desertions or youth but the reality is there are changes needing to be made. Maybe we can right the ship by Griz/cat game but the issues run deeper than finishing with a positive record.

Second that.

grizeyes said:
Sport said:

Ya know, a lot of very good analysis in all the above. But the Griz team is very competitive, and has lots of potential. "Fans" that boo this team? Give me a break, you stand by this team thru thick, or thin, that's a FAN!

MTbest said:
grizeyes said:

Ya know, a lot of very good analysis in all the above. But the Griz team is very competitive, and has lots of potential. "Fans" that boo this team? Give me a break, you stand by this team thru thick, or thin, that's a FAN!
I stand with our beloved Griz. I feel the losses like a gut punch and am on cloud nine with a great win. Like all of us, I'll be there to support them, no matter what! That doesn't mean that I feel something is missing. Something is wrong in river city. I pray we get healthy, win out and make some noise in the playoffs. I'll be a fanatic, no matter what!

Go Griz!

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

You can assume, but based on actual results, it hasn't been. I just don't think UM has the QB to be an elite offense, but they didn't have to be elite to have success,

Agreed. The general consensus was with this D, we didn't need "blow your doors off" offense....well now we don't even have "open your doors" offense, which gets the D gassed by mid-3rd quarter, and the rest is history.

I know that it is blasphemy to criticize the legend that is Bobby Hauck in Grizland, but I would pose a few concerns and "perhaps" for all of us to consider.

1) We all know Bobby's personality. It worked during his first tenure here. But, have times changed? Have kids changed? Does Bobby's approach still work for kids today? We have seen several kids leave. Is coaching philosophy the reason? During recruiting visits, all prospects hang-out with current players, and all ask questions about the program, and its coaches. What message is being told by our current players to new recruits? This is NOT an accusation, mind you, just a thought to ponder.

2) Senior citizen make-up of our coaching staff. Another poster made musings about the age of our coaching staff. While many point to the vast years of experience our staff has, could that experience actually lead to a refusal to adapt to the game played in 2021, instead of what worked in 2000??? Many of us agree that our offensive philosophy is not creative, is rather very predictable, and is not helping our QBs be successful. Additionally, you all know how I feel about using the 3-3-5 as our base defense!

Secondly, could there be a problem with 19-22 year-old athletes relating (and respecting) a 60-year old coach? Just a thought.

3) Recruiting budget- I have harped about this topic for many years. I am not certain what our current recruiting budget is, but I know for a fact that 10 years ago we had perhaps the lowest recruiting budget in the Big Sky conference. And, the Cats recruiting budget was 75-100% greater than ours in those days. Is this a problem, especially in recruiting out-of-state kids?

4) Using the "injuries defense"- I am amused at the posters who believe that all of our ills will be cured when we are healthy. Having a great RB hit the LOS where no hole exists with never work, no matter how good that RB is. All teams suffer injuries every year. Please stop using this as an excuse. If Humphrey was showing us how great he was while he was QB, then one might be able to use his loss as an excuse. But he was below average when he played, and Brown has not been appreciably worse, even though he is a freshman starting only two games.

5) Ragging on Kris Brown. I ask any of you this question......... was Jordy Johnson a great QB as a red-shirt freshman??? Do you even remember his frosh season? Let me remind you. Jordy was very inconsistent, threw into coverage quite a bit, threw interceptions, had flashes of potential and excellence, but also showed lots of growing pains. Sound familiar?

hunt-ducks said:
I know that it is blasphemy to criticize the legend that is Bobby Hauck in Grizland, but I would pose a few concerns and "perhaps" for all of us to consider.

1) We all know Bobby's personality. It worked during his first tenure here. But, have times changed? Have kids changed? Does Bobby's approach still work for kids today? We have seen several kids leave. Is coaching philosophy the reason? During recruiting visits, all prospects hang-out with current players, and all ask questions about the program, and its coaches. What message is being told by our current players to new recruits? This is NOT an accusation, mind you, just a thought to ponder.

2) Senior citizen make-up of our coaching staff. Another poster made musings about the age of our coaching staff. While many point to the vast years of experience our staff has, could that experience actually lead to a refusal to adapt to the game played in 2021, instead of what worked in 2000???

Secondly, could there be a problem with 19-22 year-old athletes relating (and respecting) a 60-year old coach? Just a thought.

3) Recruiting budget- I have harped about this topic for many years. I am not certain what our current recruiting budget is, but I know for a fact that 10 years ago we had perhaps the lowest recruiting budget in the Big Sky conference. And, the Cats recruiting budget was 75-100% greater than ours in those days. Is this a problem, especially in recruiting out-of-state kids?

you gonna just blindly ignore the fact that preseason you were CERTAIN Brown was all-world? And the Griz would be SOOOOOOO much better off if Brown were QB? Remember when several people here said you'd NEVER admit you were wrong? Now you've got about two dozen OTHER excuses lined up....these weren't issues when Cam was QB?

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

2) Senior citizen make-up of our coaching staff. Another poster made musings about the age of our coaching staff. While many point to the vast years of experience our staff has, could that experience actually lead to a refusal to adapt to the game played in 2021, instead of what worked in 2000???

you gonna just blindly ignore the fact that preseason you were CERTAIN Brown was all-world? And the Griz would be SOOOOOOO much better off if Brown were QB? Remember when several people here said you'd NEVER admit you were wrong? Now you've got about two dozen OTHER excuses lined up....these weren't issues when Cam was QB?

Stop mis-quoting me in your lame-assed attempt to be "correct". I said that Brown was a better QB than Cam, and stand firmly by that today. Cam is what he is, a 24-year old 6th-year QB who has started 20 games in his career. He will never be anything higher than what we have witnessed, and it ain't good! Brown is a young, QB with a high up-side. I never said Brown was "all-World", so stuff that B.S. where the sun doesn't shine. You have become desperate and rather pathetic. Might wanna take a break.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

Stop mis-quoting me in your lame-assed attempt to be "correct". I said that Brown was a better QB than Cam, and stand firmly by that today. I never said Brown was "all-World", so stuff that B.S. where the sun doesn't shine. You have become desperate and rather pathetic. Might wanna take a break.

Please show me what you're pointing to to determine that Brown is a better QB than Cam. What statistic? Fumbles? Yards per attempt? Sacks taken? TD/INT ratio? Offensive yards generated per game? Time of possession? Points off turnovers? Please, oh wise one, what offensive stat that has occurred this season has you SO certain that Brown is a better QB than Cam?

Hint: There ain't one. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: And THAT'S why Cam was starting over Brown, despite your self-proclaimed scouting prowess.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

Stop mis-quoting me in your lame-assed attempt to be "correct". I said that Brown was a better QB than Cam, and stand firmly by that today. Cam is what he is, a 24-year old 6th-year QB who has started 20 games in his career. He will never be anything higher than what we have witnessed, and it ain't good! Brown is a young, QB with a high up-side. I never said Brown was "all-World", so stuff that B.S. where the sun doesn't shine. You have become desperate and rather pathetic. Might wanna take a break.

hunt-ducks said:
hunt-ducks said:

You really do struggle with this technology stuff, don't you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Upside" doesn't win football games. As was proven this weekend.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:
Stop mis-quoting me in your lame-assed attempt to be "correct". I said that Brown was a better QB than Cam, and stand firmly by that today. I never said Brown was "all-World", so stuff that B.S. where the sun doesn't shine. You have become desperate and rather pathetic. Might wanna take a break.

Please show me what you're pointing to to determine that Brown is a better QB than Cam. What statistic? Fumbles? Yards per attempt? Sacks taken? TD/INT ratio? Offensive yards generated per game? Time of possession? Points off turnovers? Please, oh wise one, what offensive stat that has occurred this season has you SO certain that Brown is a better QB than Cam?

Hint: There ain't one. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: And THAT'S why Cam was starting over Brown, despite your self-proclaimed scouting prowess.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Go play in the traffic. Maybe we won't have to endure your 27 posts per day.

Back