• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jeremy Calhoun

Hammer said:
mtgriz said:
If you get the inside slot guy to set the edge, Nguyen is there in 3 quick steps, with a running start, then he's sticking his foot in the ground, which is not juking and jiving.

Ellis is the guy for the fly sweep. I also think Lyons is also a good prospect. Not a knock on Nguyen, but I wish he would "stick his foot in the ground" more often.

Dalton Daum is the guy for the fly sweep. We will see that next year.

The player running the fly is not the problem, the O-line is the problem. Until we correct that aspect, we should not even run the thing.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Hammer said:
mtgriz said:
If you get the inside slot guy to set the edge, Nguyen is there in 3 quick steps, with a running start, then he's sticking his foot in the ground, which is not juking and jiving.

Ellis is the guy for the fly sweep. I also think Lyons is also a good prospect. Not a knock on Nguyen, but I wish he would "stick his foot in the ground" more often.

The player running the fly is not the problem, the O-line is the problem. Until we correct that aspect, we should not even run the thing.

The whole half second they have to block the play? It's the blocking WRs on that side of the field that are more important to the play. The two times we've run it,it worked once and the other time the slot WR missed a block and it gave the safety a free shot for an easy TFL.

BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Hammer said:
mtgriz said:

The whole half second they have to block the play? It's the blocking WRs on that side of the field that are more important to the play. The two times we've run it,it worked once and the other time the slot WR missed a block and it gave the safety a free shot for an easy TFL.

Yeah, the lineman should just stand up, cause they have nothing to do with the success of the play. :thumb:

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Yeah, the lineman should just stand up, cause they have nothing to do with the success of the play. :thumb:
Lock up the d end and DT and then get up to the next probable spot for the next snap. The sweep has already gone to the far side of the field and is hopefully headed up the field. The line in this offense is not instructed to continue to block up the field.

BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Lock up the d end and DT and then get up to the next probable spot for the next snap. The sweep has already gone to the far side of the field and is hopefully headed up the field. The line in this offense is not instructed to continue to block up the field.

Thanks coach! :coffee:

BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Well that explains things.

bgbigdog said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
oGriz said:
I've been updating my printable roster today and was looking for true freshmen that have been playing. The Big Sky Conference stats list has a section called Participation Report. These are the true freshmen I spotted.

Jeremy Calhoun is listed on the Participation Report for the Liberty game. An error?

The one player that doesn't make sense is No. 38 Jeffrey Salamon, a true freshman wide receiver. He is credited with only making tackles. Why would they burn his redshirt year to make tackles on special teams? Was he mixed up with No. 38 Tyrel Garner, a junior cornerback?

I cringe every road game, because the tv announcers always get players wrong. They don't do their homework well enough unfortunately.

Take the announcing, and thus participation reports, with a grain of salt. And take for them for what they are worth. I agree that UM needs to make sure they correct these erros however.

The television teams are just reading the rosters the person from the U hands them. If the party responsible were to give a flying f$&k about what was being reported, they'd put one together that would give the offense - defense designations, so that the announcers wouldn't have to guess or sound as if they didn't do their homework. Let's hope the NC2A gets actual information. But again, who knows.

Thank God not all organizations just did with what is handed to them. What a third world that would be.

You're putting on a broadcast and you aren't "responsible" for it's content? Since when? That sounds like a network disclaimer before an infomercial.

Is it "sounds as if they didn't do their homework" or is it it "they didn't do their homework"? We already know your deflective answer.

IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
oGriz said:
I've been updating my printable roster today and was looking for true freshmen that have been playing. The Big Sky Conference stats list has a section called Participation Report. These are the true freshmen I spotted.

Jeremy Calhoun is listed on the Participation Report for the Liberty game. An error?

The one player that doesn't make sense is No. 38 Jeffrey Salamon, a true freshman wide receiver. He is credited with only making tackles. Why would they burn his redshirt year to make tackles on special teams? Was he mixed up with No. 38 Tyrel Garner, a junior cornerback?

I cringe every road game, because the tv announcers always get players wrong. They don't do their homework well enough unfortunately.

Take the announcing, and thus participation reports, with a grain of salt. And take for them for what they are worth. I agree that UM needs to make sure they correct these erros however.

The television teams are just reading the rosters the person from the U hands them. If the party responsible were to give a flying f$&k about what was being reported, they'd put one together that would give the offense - defense designations, so that the announcers wouldn't have to guess or sound as if they didn't do their homework. Let's hope the NC2A gets actual information. But again, who knows.

Thank God not all organizations just did with what is handed to them. What a third world that would be.

You're putting on a broadcast and you aren't "responsible" for it's content? Since when? That sounds like a network disclaimer before an infomercial.

Is it "sounds as if they didn't do their homework" or is it it "they didn't do their homework"? We already know your deflective answer.

We? Wish I could spend my days with head buried up to my backside in Maroon colored sand.

Participation reports aren't produced by those ner-do-well network types and probably not by someone on the football staff either or they would be correct. Speaking of broadcasts, that bunch of garbage that was broadcast on-line in the first half of the CPSLO game was also the responsibility of the network. Right? Not so says the broadcaster, who quickly threw the university under the bus due to an "inadequate feed" when I emailed and asked what I was paying for.

Thankfully, most well-run organizations even in the third world, don't leave things to chance. But you're right as always, I deflect.

What I really like about playing Calhoun is it shows Coach Stitt is about winning now, not going thru the motions until he gets his players. Recruiting is tricky. Players do not develop, get injured or on the flip side walk ons are playing in the NFL (Colt Anderson and Marc Mariani).

Nguyen is uncapable of stivking his foot in the ground and making a cut...he would ride it out to the sideline running sideways until he gets tackled for a 2 yard loss....if he did somehow turn the corner, he will be caught from behind by a linebacker!

Win is a decent back and I am glad we have him. (I gave up trying to spell his name) Calhoun is a very good back and we must hope he does not get an ankle sprain like true freshman Logwood did last season and it's still bothering him. Injury sucks and I was hoping for a break out season for Logwood but....Now we have Calhoun and he might be just what we need. Speed, quickness and strength. We will see in a few days!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Nguyen is uncapable of stivking his foot in the ground and making a cut...he would ride it out to the sideline running sideways until he gets tackled for a 2 yard loss....if he did somehow turn the corner, he will be caught from behind by a linebacker!

Oh BS. Nguyen cuts very well. He makes defenders miss all the time. He doesn't get caught by linebackers. He's also a terrific pass blocker.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Oh BS. Nguyen cuts very well. He makes defenders miss all the time. He doesn't get caught by linebackers. He's also a terrific pass blocker.
The tackles have him before the linebackers are needed. Seriously, did you watch the Davis game? That was the worst run defense in the Big Sky and Chalich led us with 62 rushing yards. Thank god we are getting Calhoun and Favors going.

Umista said:
Win is a decent back and I am glad we have him. (I gave up trying to spell his name) Calhoun is a very good back and we must hope he does not get an ankle sprain like true freshman Logwood did last season and it's still bothering him. Injury sucks and I was hoping for a break out season for Logwood but....Now we have Calhoun and he might be just what we need. Speed, quickness and strength. We will see in a few days!

This. +1

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

The tackles have him before the linebackers are needed. Seriously, did you watch the Davis game? That was the worst run defense in the Big Sky and Chalich led us with 62 rushing yards. Thank god we are getting Calhoun and Favors going.

Nguyen - 4.4 yards per carry, long of 41
Counts - 4.7 per carry, long of 45
Chalich - 1.5 per carry, long of 20
Favors - 4.1 per carry, long of 17
Logwood - 4.1 per carry, long of 15
Calhoun - 4.5 per carry, long of 8

Calhoun will be a very good player.

Running game problems can be chalked up to O-line, not JN. They are improving but need to drastically improve to win out in conference play!

uofmman1122 said:
I figured this might be the case when Logwood went down, but it looks like Calhoun has been activated.

I think he's the first true freshman to play, right?

I am looking for it . . .

Can't seem to find it . . .

You guys disappoint me . . .

He best in space.

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Dude you have your opinion..I have mine....I dont like Nguyen as a back, I think he gets caught from behind and dances sideways too much...if you like him great, it doesnt mean everyone else has to. Maybe you dont remember what a good back looks like? I think hes a great kid but good RB he is not.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Dude you have your opinion..I have mine....I dont like Nguyen as a back, I think he gets caught from behind and dances sideways too much...if you like him great, it doesnt mean everyone else has to. Maybe you dont remember what a good back looks like? I think hes a great kid but good RB he is not.

Dude, I presented facts, not opinions. Your opinions are not based on facts. Many of my opinions, on this subject, are based on facts. The above stats are facts. It is also a fact that Nguyen is a very good pass blocker. Watch the game, watch the video, ask a coach. Nguyen doesn't generally get caught from behind by linebackers. Your statement/opinion on that is not supported by facts and is just plain wrong. Nguyen is very good at dodging tacklers, and cuts well. I assume everyone agrees that Nguyen doesn't go straight ahead enough and goes sideways too much. In my experience, some backs with good jukes do that; doesn't mean they should. You are welcome to your opinion, but if you are basing it on incorrect facts, or even if I don't agree with it, you may hear from me. Oh, and I know what good backs look like. Looks like you probably didn't even play the game very long, based on your comments.

Wait until you are able to watch a true freshman Calhoun play and take over most of the playing time. Then you will be able to see what a running back looks like. I think the coaching staff felt some lack of production
from that position, along with injuries, prompted the decision to burn calhoun's red shirt year. I hope it was alright to share my opinion. Coach is very excited about him...... And I am too.

Latest posts

Back