• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How good will the Big Sky be in the Fall?

SACCAT66 said:
I, and my fellow Bobcat Brethren, WILL NOT STAND for this "Pre-season Champ" talk by UM... Bobcats are Pre-Season Champs, Always have been and always will be... Stay in your lane!!!

Honest Question: Where have the griz gotten better from last year that makes you think that you can be national champs? O-Line, Secondary, QB... I haven't really watched much of your 2 spring games, so have no clue who stood out. Reading on here...

*Brown is the best QB, unless Humphrey is
*The O-line is great, but they aren't very good at pass or run blocking
*The WR's are deep, but not really deep
*RB should be a big strength, unless they aren't

AGAIN... I am not saying that they aren't or are, just trying to see where the improvements are that will have you getting there. Who should I be looking at more that I wasn't last year?

First the problem is you’re trying to decipher how good the Griz would be based on eGriz where the spectrum bends from “About to be the greatest team in the history of the FCS” to “Watch out! The sky is falling!”

SACCAT66 said:
I, and my fellow Bobcat Brethren, WILL NOT STAND for this "Pre-season Champ" talk by UM... Bobcats are Pre-Season Champs, Always have been and always will be... Stay in your lane!!!

Honest Question: Where have the griz gotten better from last year that makes you think that you can be national champs? O-Line, Secondary, QB... I haven't really watched much of your 2 spring games, so have no clue who stood out. Reading on here...

AGAIN... I am not saying that they aren't or are, just trying to see where the improvements are that will have you getting there. Who should I be looking at more that I wasn't last year?

The biggest addition are Corners and Safeties that can cover and hit. Those dudes make the Griz D really tough, and allows the LB to roam free. My guess is that without the Washington Game they will give up less than 20PPG in all the other games.

On Offense the Griz have the best group of WR in the conference and RB that will be hard to stop. This team will score 40PPG.

Paytonlives said:
SACCAT66 said:

The biggest addition are Corners and Safeties that can cover and hit. Those dudes make the Griz D really tough, and allows the LB to roam free. My guess is that without the Washington Game they will give up less than 20PPG in all the other games.

On Offense the Griz have the best group of WR in the conference and RB that will be hard to stop. This team will score 40PPG.
The passing game will be very good, but the running game is certainly suspect without Knight. The hope is the transfer can fill the gap. There's a huge dropoff from Knight to the others in spring camp. Harris will be very, very good, but he's very small and very young to be counted on for heavy duty this year.

I amplify your comments on the defense. Not sure I've ever seen better speed into tackles from a Griz team; they are in position and deliver blows in gangs. Really impressive in the the two spring games; they will be hard to run on. Pressure on the QB was lacking and is a concern, but I'm not sure they weren't constrained by HC agreement to avoid destroying QBs.

Then there's special teams; I firmly believe there will be no better in the BSC. The special teams coach knows his stuff.

ilovethecats said:
kemajic said:
The passing game will be very good

Who will be passing and why is it a given he’ll be very good? :?

Whoever the quarterback is...both Humphery and Brown have done really well this spring. And before you poo poo the Viks, you have to play them. Anyway, we outscored ( I think) our opponents 107-10
I've watched the two spring games twice now (I used to watch all the games live) and I would suggest to the cat fan above you watch the two spring games to answer your questions, otherwise you're just getting someone's impression, which is what I'll offer in my points:

I agree with Payton and Kemajic about the secondary, they make this Griz a completely different animal. As of now, we have a two-deep of really hard-hitting cornerbacks and safeties that are confident and anticipate. Some are FBS transfers. You can look all that up on your own if you're interested.

This is NOT the same roster from two years ago. For whatever reason, our transfers gelled on this team and our youngins' are showing up. Ford, Cotton, and Onu just at cornerback....are you kidding? This is where we've been plugging in random receivers the last four years. We'll see how it all plays out, but this is one of the most talented and deepest secondaries we've had in some time...On a side note, Autjoe Soe, the freshman looks like a stud already! Love his attitude...which leads me to...

Depth. This is the deepest team we've had in a long while, most positions don't drop off much. Trying to respond to the cat posts, the o-line is the best we've had for some time...in recent memory, since at least Phlugrad's last year. We'll see, but the Nebraska center was a big addition. Our o-line is great in pass rushing. They didn't run the ball that well against CWU, then came out and dominated PSU on both sides of the ball. It's actually pretty cool to see how there's a pretty blurry line between ones and twos at many of the position groups on this team. These spring games were a great chance to adjust our depth chart and see the depth on this team.

I don't predict records, but I haven't seen this kind of 2-3 deep talent on the Griz since too long...and they are well coached. Bobby let's his coaches take care of things and interjects when he wants. Fun team to watch. I think there are some future NFLers on this team. And for the Cat fans concerned why this Griz team will be good, sometimes it's how you feel. Maybe your new coach will strike gold right off the bat. Maybe you'll beat us. But yeah, you can't really compare this team to the one almost two years ago. They've developed exactly how you'd hope. I don't care about projections, but watching Montana football for 30 years, I'd be a little surprised if this team isn't right up there at the end of the playoffs.

GlacierGrizX said:
BWahlberg said:
Griz and Cats will be the power teams. Weber and EWU could be good but this spring season will catch up with them. Sac could make some noise. Davis... maybe. Other teams could play as spoilers in a game or two.
CATS
-I think the Cats will be an upper-middle team within the conference.
-Choate did not leave the cupboards empty at MSU?
-New Coach may struggle to implement new scheme?

WEBER/EWU
-we have a better glance of whom they might be?
-as previously said, they may battle season fatigue
- probably better polished team after 7-8 games

CAL DAVIS
- I did not observe Big Sky play this Spring, but I remember them being in the rise is 2019

SAC ST
- were they good because of the 6-yr QB that went to Washington ?

CAL POLY
- will their new coach produce fruit again? Beau Baldwin success at EWU?

Know nothing of: NAU, N Colo, Idaho, ISU, some of PSU

We most likely will have the best QB in the conference, and almost a complete roster overhaul (much needed).

BigSkyBears said:
GlacierGrizX said:
CATS
-I think the Cats will be an upper-middle team within the conference.
-Choate did not leave the cupboards empty at MSU?
-New Coach may struggle to implement new scheme?

WEBER/EWU
-we have a better glance of whom they might be?
-as previously said, they may battle season fatigue
- probably better polished team after 7-8 games

CAL DAVIS
- I did not observe Big Sky play this Spring, but I remember them being in the rise is 2019

SAC ST
- were they good because of the 6-yr QB that went to Washington ?

CAL POLY
- will their new coach produce fruit again? Beau Baldwin success at EWU?

Know nothing of: NAU, N Colo, Idaho, ISU, some of PSU

We most likely will have the best QB in the conference, and almost a complete roster overhaul (much needed).

my gut tells me you won't be in the cellar and could be in the top half...albeit the lower top half.

There is only ONE team that matters...

From ,'Gumball Rally:'
"First rule of Italian driving. What's-a-behind-you doesn't matter."
Take care of business, fuck the BSC!

Back