• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How can "fans" not realize the Griz and the D

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.

Why are you so fixated on UM having given up 5.1 yards per carry? That's not the critical stat. Giving up no rushing TD's, and only 1 TD in the game, are more important "stats". Only 1 other team since Oct. 8, 2011 has not allowed a rushing TD by NDSU. That's 3 years.

I took at look at NDSU's average rush per carry in their last 10 games, plus Kansas St. Young-6.7; SD-6.3; Furman-7.0; CC-7.9; UNH-8.3; Towson-7.0; Iowa St-6.9; Weber-3.8; Incarnate-6.2; UM-5.1; Kansas St-5.0. UM defended against 55 carries. In none of those 10 games, plus KS, did NDSU rush over 50 times, except against CC (54).

5.1 looks pretty darn good to me. Particularly with the 55 carries TOP imbalance.

That's fine PR. You are happy the defense played well enough to only lose by 12, while I think if they could have done better at stopping the NDSU rushing attack it would have increased their chance to win. I guess that NDSU's offense is so great, that even doing a good job against them is allowing 280 yards rushing and letting them do exactly what they want to do is enough to be happy about.

The question being discussed is how well did the Griz D play. No one has said or suggested that the D could not have played better. Your inability to realize or admit that the D played well, says something about your level of football knowledge, in my view.

The NDSU offense did not "do exactly what they want to do". Do you really think they wanted their kicker to be their player of the game, to have him set an school FG record, to be stopped at 4th and inches on the 11 (after being stopped at 3d and 1 on the previous play), to not score a TD in the first half, to not score a rushing TD, to be up only 2 points at halftime, and have their per carry average be the 2d worst in the past 10 games?

NDSU played well on both sides of the ball, and it may have looked like they were in control of the game, but the fact remains that the Griz were only about 2 plays away from making it a closer game or even winning. I'm not saying the Griz deserved to win, but they were in the game until the last part of the 4th quarter. And NDSU is obviously a very good team.

Was wondering how long it would take for you to resort to your typical fall back argument...you just didn't use the "it is obvious you have never played the game". And PR, the Griz were 2 plays away from losing 30-10...hypothetical and statistics are great aren't they. I am also starting to think you are the least knowledgeable person that has played the game.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.

Why are you so fixated on UM having given up 5.1 yards per carry? That's not the critical stat. Giving up no rushing TD's, and only 1 TD in the game, are more important "stats". Only 1 other team since Oct. 8, 2011 has not allowed a rushing TD by NDSU. That's 3 years.

I took at look at NDSU's average rush per carry in their last 10 games, plus Kansas St. Young-6.7; SD-6.3; Furman-7.0; CC-7.9; UNH-8.3; Towson-7.0; Iowa St-6.9; Weber-3.8; Incarnate-6.2; UM-5.1; Kansas St-5.0. UM defended against 55 carries. In none of those 10 games, plus KS, did NDSU rush over 50 times, except against CC (54).

5.1 looks pretty darn good to me. Particularly with the 55 carries TOP imbalance.

That's fine PR. You are happy the defense played well enough to only lose by 12, while I think if they could have done better at stopping the NDSU rushing attack it would have increased their chance to win. I guess that NDSU's offense is so great, that even doing a good job against them is allowing 280 yards rushing and letting them do exactly what they want to do is enough to be happy about.

The question being discussed is how well did the Griz D play. No one has said or suggested that the D could not have played better. Your inability to realize or admit that the D played well, says something about your level of football knowledge, in my view.

The NDSU offense did not "do exactly what they want to do". Do you really think they wanted their kicker to be their player of the game, to have him set an school FG record, to be stopped at 4th and inches on the 11 (after being stopped at 3d and 1 on the previous play), to not score a TD in the first half, to not score a rushing TD, to be up only 2 points at halftime, and have their per carry average be the 2d worst in the past 10 games?

NDSU played well on both sides of the ball, and it may have looked like they were in control of the game, but the fact remains that the Griz were only about 2 plays away from making it a closer game or even winning. I'm not saying the Griz deserved to win, but they were in the game until the last part of the 4th quarter. And NDSU is obviously a very good team.

By the way, it was obviously not well enough to win...

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Was wondering how long it would take for you to resort to your typical fall back argument...you just didn't use the "it is obvious you have never played the game". And PR, the Griz were 2 plays away from losing 30-10...hypothetical and statistics are great aren't they. I am also starting to think you are the least knowledgeable person that has played the game.

It is interesting to observe how some posters, like yourself, cannot see obvious things. I can think of no other explanation other than that those posters don't understand the game.

Yes, I agree that a few plays the other way could have caused the margin to be bigger. But the fact remains that when "dominant" team allows the other team to stick around too long, or the "lesser" team plays well enough to keep it close late in the game; a few plays one way or another, or even just some luck, can turn a game around. Delaney had said all along that he hoped the Griz could keep it close enough, so that they were in position to make some plays later in the game and have a chance at winning. They pretty much did that. It was a 2-pt. game at the half, and a 9-pt game until 1:43 to go in the game.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
played well today, most especially the D, and were in the ballpark to beat NDSU? No team has given up fewer points than 22 to NDSU in 2 full years. Only No. Iowa and Kansas St. have come closer in the points to beating them in 2 years.

The Griz need to improve, but they have a bright future.

This isn't a correct statement. There have been other teams who have given up the same or fewer points. A lot of these teams came closer to winning actually.

2013:
NDSU and SDSU - 20-0 NDSU win

2012:
NDSU and Missouri State- 21-17 NDSU win
NDSU and SDSU- 20-17 NDSU win
NDSU and Colorado State- 22-7 NDSU win

2011:
NDSU and Illinois State- 20-10 NDSU win
NDSU and Southern Illinois- 9-3 NDSU win
It is interesting that in 2012 NDSU beat CSU by an almost identical score since the announcers yesterday were saying how much Sonny Lubick and his Rams influenced the Griz coaching staff, mostly Delaney....He said it was a Lubick team, as I recall...so, at least UM improved by 3 pts in comparison.

This defense is SICK!!! Tough nosed, athletics & very fast. Did anyone else notice Josh Dennard playing more aggressively then EVER before. Our corners have made serious strides on the physical side of things from last year. Gamboa Kose & VA are tackling machines.

There has been a great deal of personnel issues aside from the O-Line on the offense. Once the offense catches up (I believe that they will in the next 2 or 3 weeks) during BSC play this team will roll!

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

I don't care if they give up 500 yards per game rushing. If the D holds teams to 22 points per game, the Griz should win a lot of games.

I think people should be happy with only allowing 22 points, forcing the 5 field goals, but they should not expect or assume that is the norm in similar situations. The defense did what they had to, but everyone here should realize the run defense can...needs to be better if you want to call this defense great. They did not fair well against the rush versus the 2 teams that want to control the game with the rush...Wyoming and NDSU.

And yet we were in both those games right up to the end, and those are by FAR the best two teams we'll see this year. I'm fine with where we're at right now.

We'll see. Couple pretty good teams played in Bozeman yesterday. :thumb:

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don't care if they give up 500 yards per game rushing. If the D holds teams to 22 points per game, the Griz should win a lot of games.

I think people should be happy with only allowing 22 points, forcing the 5 field goals, but they should not expect or assume that is the norm in similar situations. The defense did what they had to, but everyone here should realize the run defense can...needs to be better if you want to call this defense great. They did not fair well against the rush versus the 2 teams that want to control the game with the rush...Wyoming and NDSU.

And yet we were in both those games right up to the end, and those are by FAR the best two teams we'll see this year. I'm fine with where we're at right now.

Must have been a great game. Cats must have played well. Your qb looked pretty good, when I was watching. What's up the Cat defense? Is EWU's offense just that good (and their defense that bad)?

I think the griz played well yesterday. I was a little suprised that NDSU racked up as many yards running at our d as they did. They can probably run against any team.

NewPapaBear said:
This defense is SICK!!! Tough nosed, athletics & very fast. Did anyone else notice Josh Dennard playing more aggressively then EVER before. Our corners have made serious strides on the physical side of things from last year. Gamboa Kose & VA are tackling machines.

There has been a great deal of personnel issues aside from the O-Line on the offense. Once the offense catches up (I believe that they will in the next 2 or 3 weeks) during BSC play this team will roll!

You are likely right about the next few weeks. The concern is, can this offense improve to perform against playoff caliber defenses?

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Think you mean offenses....both have a long way to go. Our offense is closer to both of their offenses then their defenses are to us.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Must have been a great game. Cats must have played well. Your qb looked pretty good, when I was watching. What's up the Cat defense? Is EWU's offense just that good (and their defense that bad)?

Good question. Our D looks great at times, but not consistent enough. That EWU offense is a machine. They should score 50 on all the Big Sky teams, with the exception of you guys.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

I had the Cat/EWU game on the other TV while the Griz game was on. Prokop is going to be a stud. I think he could be better than McGhee. I wish we had him in our program. He is a very good runner, and an accurate passer. He will only get better with experience.

Agree. Prukop is good, but if I were a Can't fan I would be worried about his durability. He scampers a lot and will eventually get dinged up. He has not exactly played against a daunting defensive thus far either. Cramsey is doing a nice job of calling plays thus far as well. I think he is a good OC - as long as big game Rob stays out of his way. One thing that has not changed in Bozo. They can't finish in the big games. I don't wish Prukop was part of our program since we have so many good athletes at QB waiting for a chance to step in. The next few years at QB could be exciting for the Griz. I don't mind when Bozo is good and the Big Sky is tough. Makes for a great season.

monte is a character said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I had the Cat/EWU game on the other TV while the Griz game was on. Prokop is going to be a stud. I think he could be better than McGhee. I wish we had him in our program. He is a very good runner, and an accurate passer. He will only get better with experience.
Even if he was in our system do you think Delaney would utilize his talents? He sure doesn't utilize JJs.

Again and again we note our defense played vey well.....but....

Our problem in my view is our OF coaches keep calling plays that will not fly with a NEW offensive line. Actually giving the ball to Canada and letting him run was far smarter than those failed end sweep passes that we continue to flub. Also we tried to get the ball to Van way to much. He needs to be a sneaky kind of guy U sneak around but not try every play to get him the ball during the first portion of the game. Van is not the guy to send right up the gut, he tends to dance, not run down hill. He is a fantastic player and will shine as we move on.
The old run right at them only works if you have an experienced line. I did see some improvement in the line this last game. Yes they could not contain the rush or the D ends but they are coming along. In a few weeks they will be much improved. And they won't be facing the likes of a damn good D line like No Daks.

Individually I saw some good tackles and some missed but over all our D is tough and coming on. If our offense will keep the D off the field we will win most if not all of our up coming games!

Delaney can not keep allowing Jordy to take all these hits. Change up and quit being so stodgy about our antique offense. If he gets knocked out we are screwed.

Overall we did better after I re-watched the game. It was a tough place for our young line to play in but they will be much better for it. Watch the home coming game for some good line play!

Copper Griz said:
Agree. Prukop is good, but if I were a Can't fan I would be worried about his durability. He scampers a lot and will eventually get dinged up. He has not exactly played against a daunting defensive thus far either. Cramsey is doing a nice job of calling plays thus far as well. I think he is a good OC - as long as big game Rob stays out of his way. One thing that has not changed in Bozo. They can't finish in the big games. I don't wish Prukop was part of our program since we have so many good athletes at QB waiting for a chance to step in. The next few years at QB could be exciting for the Griz. I don't mind when Bozo is good and the Big Sky is tough. Makes for a great season.

It may be tough for some Griz fans to give credit to any Cat player. But I am a football fan, and not a Griz homer. I have watched Prokop play in three games this year on TV, and he has gotten better each week. He is a great athlete whom the Griz will have to deal with the next three years. We do not have a back-up QB in our system right now who is even close to him.

ordigger said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Think you mean offenses....both have a long way to go. Our offense is closer to both of their offenses then their defenses are to us.

Kind of how I see it as well.....

I have watched Prokop play in three games this year on TV, and he has gotten better each week. He is a great athlete whom the Griz will have to deal with the next three years. We do not have a back-up QB in our system right now who is even close to him.
So have you seen any of our young QBs play three games so you could make a viable comparison? Didn't think so. I agree with the previous poster that Procup is too valuable to MSU to run him so often. He will get hurt just as JJ did when he ran a lot. From what I've seen, Procup is benefiting from good play from the MSU OL.

kemajic said:
I have watched Prokop play in three games this year on TV, and he has gotten better each week. He is a great athlete whom the Griz will have to deal with the next three years. We do not have a back-up QB in our system right now who is even close to him.
So have you seen any of our young QBs play three games so you could make a viable comparison? Didn't think so. I agree with the previous poster that Procup is too valuable to MSU to run him so often. He will get hurt just as JJ did when he ran a lot. From what I've seen, Procup is benefiting from good play from the MSU OL.

Most QB's play better when they have a good OL.

Back