• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How can "fans" not realize the Griz and the D

BisonMav said:
The Griz defense that I saw yesterday, reminded me of the Bison defense a few years ago, as it developed. First it was bend but don't break like the Griz yesterday, then it morphed into a great overall defense. I see better days for the Griz defense, as it develops.

Griz defense was horrid in 2012, better in 2013 and even better this year. It's already "developing".

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.

I don't care if they give up 500 yards per game rushing. If the D holds teams to 22 points per game, the Griz should win a lot of games.

I think people should be happy with only allowing 22 points, forcing the 5 field goals, but they should not expect or assume that is the norm in similar situations. The defense did what they had to, but everyone here should realize the run defense can...needs to be better if you want to call this defense great. They did not fair well against the rush versus the 2 teams that want to control the game with the rush...Wyoming and NDSU.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
Griz defense played "well" enough to win, but still did not play great. The Griz can hang their hat on only allowing 22 points, but they did not defend the run. Allowing 280 yards on 55 carries, a 5.1 avg, is not a positive to build on.

I don't care if they give up 500 yards per game rushing. If the D holds teams to 22 points per game, the Griz should win a lot of games.

I think people should be happy with only allowing 22 points, forcing the 5 field goals, but they should not expect or assume that is the norm in similar situations. The defense did what they had to, but everyone here should realize the run defense can...needs to be better if you want to call this defense great. They did not fair well against the rush versus the 2 teams that want to control the game with the rush...Wyoming and NDSU.

And yet we were in both those games right up to the end, and those are by FAR the best two teams we'll see this year. I'm fine with where we're at right now.

I like the grit these Griz play with. It is a never give up attitude that should be applauded. We have had a tough couple years and still have to find and adjust to a new coach...hopefully this next year. The tough times will continue, but the Griz will continue to be in the running for the Big Sky title.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

And yet we were in both those games right up to the end, and those are by FAR the best two teams we'll see this year. I'm fine with where we're at right now.

so you are fine, but if it were better, the Griz may have won both those games?

putter said:
The Griz D did not sell out to stop the run. They stayed in their 4-3 the entire game and this was the best O-Line Montana will see all year. If Montana sold out IMO NDSU would have thrown the ball a lot more but they did not have to. The problem was the O, not the D. If I was Mick I would give the D time off until Wednesday as that will probably be the first day they will be able to stand up out of bed.

Why didn't they? Maybe the key to beating NDSU is forcing them to throw the ball. But instead you want to be happy that the defense allowed NDSU to do what they wanted to do.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
played well today, most especially the D, and were in the ballpark to beat NDSU? No team has given up fewer points than 22 to NDSU in 2 full years. Only No. Iowa and Kansas St. have come closer in the points to beating them in 2 years.

The Griz need to improve, but they have a bright future.

This isn't a correct statement. There have been other teams who have given up the same or fewer points. A lot of these teams came closer to winning actually.

2013:
NDSU and SDSU - 20-0 NDSU win

2012:
NDSU and Missouri State- 21-17 NDSU win
NDSU and SDSU- 20-17 NDSU win
NDSU and Colorado State- 22-7 NDSU win

2011:
NDSU and Illinois State- 20-10 NDSU win
NDSU and Southern Illinois- 9-3 NDSU win

Apparently you don't realize that all but one of those games you mention are longer than 2 years ago. I guess people from ND are not very good readers. Yes, SDS should have been listed along with NI and Kansas St.

grizindabox said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
grizindabox said:
A question for you, how is getting a turnover on downs not defending the run? I seem to recall the D stuffing a run on 3rd and short and stuffing a run on 4th and short inside the red zone.

You pick a couple plays, look at the big picture...allowing a team 280 yards on 55 carries is not a great day for the run defense. If you let a QB throw for 500 yards, but he has a few incompletions and 1 interception a good pass defense? Is it a good pass defense if you hold them to field goals a few times in the red zone? The Griz did what they had to on the defensive side to be in the game, but even they can't be happy with allowing 280 yards on 55 carries.

I think it's the phrase "played great" that is the mixed message. The Griz D played well given the fact that they were on the field for 40 minutes. Now NDSU played great defense yesterday. That's a fact that nobody can dispute.It would be interesting to see how the Bison D would feel about their performance after giving up almost 300 yards on the ground.

Griz defense did play great, however the defense didn't score enough point to win, and neither did the Offense.

What could rectify that is perhaps a new head coach that will have the insight to replace the two current OC's with four different ones. "Sarcasm at its best,"... BAZINGA

Chester Cheetah said:
PlayerRep said:
played well today, most especially the D, and were in the ballpark to beat NDSU? No team has given up fewer points than 22 to NDSU in 2 full years. Only No. Iowa and Kansas St. have come closer in the points to beating them in 2 years.

The Griz need to improve, but they have a bright future.
Not trying to piss on your defense because I think you defense is pretty good, but using your logic I guess that Weber has just as good a defense as UM. Maybe they do.

No, not a valid comment or comparison. UM gave up fewer points and fewer TD's than Weber. Weber lost 24-7, not 22-10. UM gave up 1 TD, not 3 TD's like Weber did. UM did not allow a TD in the first half; Weber allowed 2 TD's. Weber was down 21-7 in the 3d quarter; UM was down 19-10 in the 3d q. Weber got the benefit of 3 NDSU turnovers. Weber was playing at home, not in the Fargodome. Weber had more plays than NDSU. UM had 31 fewer plays than NDSU. TOP for the Weber game was 27-33, not 21-39. The UM defense was on the field alot more than Weber's D, and held up remarkably well. Multiple significant differences.

yellowstone60 said:
BWahlberg said:
The defense this year is dramatically improved. Naturally egriz still needs something to bitch about so instead of giving credit to improvement many will just shift their gaze to something else that is pissing them off.
this ! :clap: Good job Griz, It is early, with the conf games ahead....go get em !
Yep. If the Griz play in conference like they did vs. NDSU, they''ll be in the playoffs. Glad to see we have a dependable KO/PKer. Sullivan proved his mettle. The Griz-Cat game looks to be very competitive.

I was impressed with the defensive effort against a great team.

But I doubt there is a Griz D player who would say they played well. Yes, we can bitch about the offense and unimaginative play calling. But the offense faced shitty field position all game long. Much of that was due to the D.

You've got to get off the field on 3rd down (before you give up 60 yards and 6:30 of TOP). NDSU converted far too many of those to keep drives going.

grizindabox said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
grizindabox said:
A question for you, how is getting a turnover on downs not defending the run? I seem to recall the D stuffing a run on 3rd and short and stuffing a run on 4th and short inside the red zone.

You pick a couple plays, look at the big picture...allowing a team 280 yards on 55 carries is not a great day for the run defense. If you let a QB throw for 500 yards, but he has a few incompletions and 1 interception a good pass defense? Is it a good pass defense if you hold them to field goals a few times in the red zone? The Griz did what they had to on the defensive side to be in the game, but even they can't be happy with allowing 280 yards on 55 carries.

Hate to throw your exact words right back at you BUT....

If you take out NDSU's 5 longest runs......and the average for 50 running plays falls to 3.8 yds/carry. So indeed there are some positives there.....the "big picture" is 22 pts and a game we really had a chance to win. I see on Bisonville they are complaining about the points "they left on the field" but at the same time not understanding we did the same thing. JJ doesn't throw his pick, and its a different game at the end....just the psychological edge would've experienced from a team scoring on them in 2nd half would've proved helpful.

grizindabox said:
putter said:
The Griz D did not sell out to stop the run. They stayed in their 4-3 the entire game and this was the best O-Line Montana will see all year. If Montana sold out IMO NDSU would have thrown the ball a lot more but they did not have to. The problem was the O, not the D. If I was Mick I would give the D time off until Wednesday as that will probably be the first day they will be able to stand up out of bed.

Why didn't they? Maybe the key to beating NDSU is forcing them to throw the ball. But instead you want to be happy that the defense allowed NDSU to do what they wanted to do.

Totally disagree...the biggest downfall of the spread is it still does not help TOP. We win TOP in this game, we win this game - hence the real key was to have multiple successful drives based on a run game that utilizes passes at the right moments....sound familiar? It should because that's exactly what the other team does week in and week out. The irony is people here (not necessarily you) complain....spread, damn where's the spread.....and then turn around and marvel at NDSU's game plan and offense. Our offense is similar but they simply execute it better than we do. They have taken BH's theories and perfected them.

grizindabox said:

Why are you so fixated on UM having given up 5.1 yards per carry? That's not the critical stat. Giving up no rushing TD's, and only 1 TD in the game, are more important "stats". Only 1 other team since Oct. 8, 2011 has not allowed a rushing TD by NDSU. That's 3 years.

I took at look at NDSU's average rush per carry in their last 10 games, plus Kansas St. Young-6.7; SD-6.3; Furman-7.0; CC-7.9; UNH-8.3; Towson-7.0; Iowa St-6.9; Weber-3.8; Incarnate-6.2; UM-5.1; Kansas St-5.0. UM defended against 55 carries. In none of those 10 games, plus KS, did NDSU rush over 50 times, except against CC (54).

5.1 looks pretty darn good to me. Particularly with the 55 carries TOP imbalance.

EverettGriz said:
I was impressed with the defensive effort against a great team.

But I doubt there is a Griz D player who would say they played well. Yes, we can bitch about the offense and unimaginative play calling. But the offense faced shitty field position all game long. Much of that was due to the D.

You've got to get off the field on 3rd down (before you give up 60 yards and 6:30 of TOP). NDSU converted far too many of those to keep drives going.

I think the D knows they played well, especially given the TOP imbalance.

UM got the ball 10 times. 7 of those were on kickoffs. Can't blame those on the D. 1 other times was when the D held on 4th down. Are you blaming the D for a 4th down stop in the red zone? The 2 others were well-placed punts after the D held NDSU to drives of 22 and 32 yards, I believe. Don't know how you can blame those on the D.

PlayerRep said:
I took at look at NDSU's average rush per carry in their last 10 games, plus Kansas St. Young-6.7; SD-6.3; Furman-7.0; CC-7.9; UNH-8.3; Towson-7.0; Iowa St-6.9; Weber-3.8; Incarnate-6.2; UM-5.1; Kansas St-5.0. UM defended against 55 carries. In none of those 10 games, plus KS, did NDSU rush over 50 times, except against CC (54).

5.1 looks pretty darn good to me. Particularly with the 55 carries TOP imbalance.
So the Weber rush D looks pretty strong - that is until you look at all their 4 losses:

ASU 267 yds 5.9 ave
NDSU 177 yds 3.8 ave
SacSt 265 yds 7.2 ave
SFA 148 yds 4.6 ave

Figure.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Why are you so fixated on UM having given up 5.1 yards per carry? That's not the critical stat. Giving up no rushing TD's, and only 1 TD in the game, are more important "stats". Only 1 other team since Oct. 8, 2011 has not allowed a rushing TD by NDSU. That's 3 years.

That's fine PR. You are happy the defense played well enough to only lose by 12, while I think if they could have done better at stopping the NDSU rushing attack it would have increased their chance to win. I guess that NDSU's offense is so great, that even doing a good job against them is allowing 280 yards rushing and letting them do exactly what they want to do is enough to be happy about.

ordigger said:
grizindabox said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
grizindabox said:

Hate to throw your exact words right back at you BUT....

If you take out NDSU's 5 longest runs......and the average for 50 running plays falls to 3.8 yds/carry. So indeed there are some positives there.....the "big picture" is 22 pts and a game we really had a chance to win. I see on Bisonville they are complaining about the points "they left on the field" but at the same time not understanding we did the same thing. JJ doesn't throw his pick, and its a different game at the end....just the psychological edge would've experienced from a team scoring on them in 2nd half would've proved helpful.

ordigger, NDSU controlled the entire game on both sides of the ball. NDSU controlled the LOS all game long.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

That's fine PR. You are happy the defense played well enough to only lose by 12, while I think if they could have done better at stopping the NDSU rushing attack it would have increased their chance to win. I guess that NDSU's offense is so great, that even doing a good job against them is allowing 280 yards rushing and letting them do exactly what they want to do is enough to be happy about.

The question being discussed is how well did the Griz D play. No one has said or suggested that the D could not have played better. Your inability to realize or admit that the D played well, says something about your level of football knowledge, in my view.

The NDSU offense did not "do exactly what they want to do". Do you really think they wanted their kicker to be their player of the game, to have him set an school FG record, to be stopped at 4th and inches on the 11 (after being stopped at 3d and 1 on the previous play), to not score a TD in the first half, to not score a rushing TD, to be up only 2 points at halftime, and have their per carry average be the 2d worst in the past 10 games?

NDSU played well on both sides of the ball, and it may have looked like they were in control of the game, but the fact remains that the Griz were only about 2 plays away from making it a closer game or even winning. I'm not saying the Griz deserved to win, but they were in the game until the last part of the 4th quarter. And NDSU is obviously a very good team.

Back