• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hero Sports Griz Preview

BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
Unless the offensive line is actually productive, not just better than last season, there aren’t 8 wins on the schedule. Keep Sneed healthy, (he took a terrible pounding last season & it impacted his passing) consistently generate an actual running game, and they’ll more than hold their own offensively. Think about how much better Rosey’s game plans will be if they can get production from the o-line. Colter is right, any productivity on offense in the second half in the losses could have turned it into a playoff season.

Not that I'd expect anything different from the summer tour stuff but the staff is suggesting the 2019 OL will be light years better. Good blend of returning players, young guys that are ready to go, guys that are back and healthy. They have their minds right, their bodies/strength right, and have been putting in extra time to be ready. We'll see, I have my reservations... and maybe it's just the staff using the power of positive thinking here, but I have a feeling these guys will be better... but not great (yet).

D line... no clue.

Deming & Alford played a lot last season. Gubner is a big guy who, from what I recall reading here, more than looked the part this spring. All due to the departing seniors, but I keep saying the defense is predicated on the backers & safeties making the majority of the tackles. The three guys up front are primarily block eaters. I’m not counting the rush end as a part of the D-line because their responsibilities are split between holding the point, pursuit and rushing the passer. I honestly think they have three better options than the kids they force fed into that spot last season. I also expect Baer to put the best four pass rushers on the field @ the appropriate times this season to help with keeping more guys in coverage.

The o-line will be better. We’d all love “light years” better. But as you said, it’s all just coach-speak until they start lining up against the schedule. If there’s playoff run in this team, it will be because the o-line comes into its own & the injury bug doesn’t bite hard.

bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
Unless the offensive line is actually productive, not just better than last season, there aren’t 8 wins on the schedule. Keep Sneed healthy, (he took a terrible pounding last season & it impacted his passing) consistently generate an actual running game, and they’ll more than hold their own offensively. Think about how much better Rosey’s game plans will be if they can get production from the o-line. Colter is right, any productivity on offense in the second half in the losses could have turned it into a playoff season.

Not that I'd expect anything different from the summer tour stuff but the staff is suggesting the 2019 OL will be light years better. Good blend of returning players, young guys that are ready to go, guys that are back and healthy. They have their minds right, their bodies/strength right, and have been putting in extra time to be ready. We'll see, I have my reservations... and maybe it's just the staff using the power of positive thinking here, but I have a feeling these guys will be better... but not great (yet).

D line... no clue.

Deming & Alford played a lot last season. Gubner is a big guy who, from what I recall reading here, more than looked the part this spring. All due to the departing seniors, but I keep saying the defense is predicated on the backers & safeties making the majority of the tackles. The three guys up front are primarily block eaters. I’m not counting the rush end as a part of the D-line because their responsibilities are split between holding the point, pursuit and rushing the passer. I honestly think they have three better options than the kids they force fed into that spot last season. I also expect Baer to put the best four pass rushers on the field @ the appropriate times this season to help with keeping more guys in coverage.

The o-line will be better. We’d all love “light years” better. But as you said, it’s all just coach-speak until they start lining up against the schedule. If there’s playoff run in this team, it will be because the o-line comes into its own & the injury bug doesn’t bite hard.
It's possible for them to be "light years" better than they were in 4th quarters last year.

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:

D line... no clue.

It's possible for them to be "light years" better than they were in 4th quarters last year.

Ugh I hope so

I hate to state the obvious but turning the ball over at critical times in a game must come to an end. That was the death of last years team. My concern for the 2019 season has been, and continues to be stopping a run heavy offense. Those teams that move the chains on the ground and wear out defensive linemen. Kind of like old Grizzly football. Being 3-1 and Sneed surviving OOC play goes along way heading into Davis who have played at Cal and NDSU. If Montana can somehow beat Davis or even has a chance to win then this team will head into Bozeman 8-3 or 7-4.

Go Griz!

nzone said:
I hate to state the obvious but turning the ball over at critical times in a game must come to an end. That was the death of last years team. My concern for the 2019 season has been, and continues to be stopping a run heavy offense. Those teams that move the chains on the ground and wear out defensive linemen. Kind of like old Grizzly football. Being 3-1 and Sneed surviving OOC play goes along way heading into Davis who have played at Cal and NDSU. If Montana can somehow beat Davis or even has a chance to win then this team will head into Bozeman 8-3 or 7-4.

Go Griz!

Don’t disagree with your comments, but the running backs are also a question mark in my opinion. Has Eastwood improved? What does the new kid accomplish behind this o line? I saw a lot of hesitation and lateral movement last year. Would like to see more vertical - and yes I realize there were not gaping holes last year to run through. I hope there is improvement all around, but spring ball did not convince me.

Agreed Copper we can’t depend on our quarterback being the leading rusher on this team. Hopefully Knight can emerge..

Copper Griz said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

Don’t disagree with your comments, but the running backs are also a question mark in my opinion. Has Eastwood improved? What does the new kid accomplish behind this o line? I saw a lot of hesitation and lateral movement last year. Would like to see more vertical - and yes I realize there were not gaping holes last year to run through. I hope there is improvement all around, but spring ball did not convince me.

I watched a decent amount of spring and, in my opinion, the running backs will be vastly improved. Eastwood played a lot of last season with a shoulder/collar bone issue. He is healthy now and he is apparently much quicker and better at finding the zone blocking hole. There was a great article in the spring about Adam and how he had played in a wing-t offense in high school where the hole was always defined. As a result, he had been slow to find the correct hole in our zone blocking scheme. Adam felt that he was finally seeing the correct hole at the right time by the end of the spring practice.

Marcus Knight, the JC transfer, could be a very good back as well. He had a few fumbles in the spring that need to be cleaned up but he was impressive at times and he showed the ability to be more dynamic with his cuts and movement. Drew Turner and Janacaro should provide ample depth.

If nothing else has changed for these backs, this group should look vastly improved assuming the O-line is better as advertised.

go96griz said:
Copper Griz said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

I watched a decent amount of spring and, in my opinion, the running backs will be vastly improved. Eastwood played a lot of last season with a shoulder/collar bone issue. He is healthy now and he is apparently much quicker and better at finding the zone blocking hole. There was a great article in the spring about Adam and how he had played in a wing-t offense in high school where the hole was always defined. As a result, he had been slow to find the correct hole in our zone blocking scheme. Adam felt that he was finally seeing the correct hole at the right time by the end of the spring practice.

Marcus Knight, the JC transfer, could be a very good back as well. He had a few fumbles in the spring that need to be cleaned up but he was impressive at times and he showed the ability to be more dynamic with his cuts and movement. Drew Turner and Janacaro should provide ample depth.

If nothing else has changed for these backs, this group should look vastly improved assuming the O-line is better as advertised.
I will also add there is talk of us having a red zone/goaline package with Garrett Graves at QB to get the tough yards and TD’s we struggled to get in the 2nd half of games last year.

I’m not worried about the 3 down lineman on defense at all. Corner and overall team speed on defense when playing against spread teams like Davis and Eastern worries me. Hopefully one of the newcomers can be the guy at edge rusher.

Passing game on offense will be one of the most explosive and efficient in the Big Sky as long as Sneed is pulling the trigger. We are so deep at receiver and tight end that we could withstand a few injuries and not skip a beat.

horribilisfan8184 said:
go96griz said:
Call me crazy, but I think this Griz team is being seriously overlooked. There is a lot of talent across the board and the receiving corp is incredible. It will come down to improved o-line and d-line play, but I think this team goes deep in the playoffs. They have a tough schedule so I'll go with 9 or 10 regular season wins barring no injury to the starting quarterback. The drop off between starter and backup is big for that position. If this team has the chip on their shoulders that I think they do, this could be a special season!

This is spot on. I don't think we will be fading in the 4th this year, the players and the coaches have learned their lessons. Specifically, I see the offense staying aggressive no matter how many points we put up.

I think you're forgetting how it goes down with Bobby Ball. Scheme Up like crazy the first half and attempt to get out to a decent lead or keep the game close, then in the second half play keep away as long as you can with the ball, shortening the game (unless behind). It is maddening to watch sometimes, but that is how so many of the Bobby Ball style games end up close (or being perceived as closer than they should be).

I kinda doubt they will go away from that formula. They'll either win with it or lose with it and be out of a job in a few years.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
go96griz said:
Call me crazy, but I think this Griz team is being seriously overlooked. There is a lot of talent across the board and the receiving corp is incredible. It will come down to improved o-line and d-line play, but I think this team goes deep in the playoffs. They have a tough schedule so I'll go with 9 or 10 regular season wins barring no injury to the starting quarterback. The drop off between starter and backup is big for that position. If this team has the chip on their shoulders that I think they do, this could be a special season!

This is spot on. I don't think we will be fading in the 4th this year, the players and the coaches have learned their lessons. Specifically, I see the offense staying aggressive no matter how many points we put up.

I think you're forgetting how it goes down with Bobby Ball. Scheme Up like crazy the first half and attempt to get out to a decent lead or keep the game close, then in the second half play keep away as long as you can with the ball, shortening the game (unless behind). It is maddening to watch sometimes, but that is how so many of the Bobby Ball style games end up close (or being perceived as closer than they should be).

I kinda doubt they will go away from that formula. They'll either win with it or lose with it and be out of a job in a few years.

Even with the suspect O line, we had the horses on O last year to gas the opponent's D, instead of the other way around. This was part of Stitt's offensive theory. Didn't we come back from 10 down late against NDSU in the smoke eater bowl? Bobbie had fresh legs at receiver all game long and should have gone deep as often as we could, throwing in tight end curls and outs against the blitz. This year, with Sammy's development we always have the 50 yard jump ball as a bailout and I'd be surprised if he didn't come down with better than 75%.

Is this new for Bobby? Yes. Is he insane, staying with what didn't work last year hoping for a different result? Yeah right. You think Bobby wants the BSC coaches to know he's changed philosophy to play to his team's strengths? Oh yeah, grind and pound used to be his offense's strength, so no change in philosophy, just going with what you have.

go96griz said:
Copper Griz said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Griz pound the rock with great success. I did not realize Eastwood was that dinged up last year. Hopefully he and Knight are a great one two punch and the offense is balanced and lethal!!

WaGriz4life said:
go96griz said:
Copper Griz said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

I will also add there is talk of us having a red zone/goaline package with Garrett Graves at QB to get the tough yards and TD’s we struggled to get in the 2nd half of games last year.

I’m not worried about the 3 down lineman on defense at all. Corner and overall team speed on defense when playing against spread teams like Davis and Eastern worries me. Hopefully one of the newcomers can be the guy at edge rusher.

Passing game on offense will be one of the most explosive and efficient in the Big Sky as long as Sneed is pulling the trigger. We are so deep at receiver and tight end that we could withstand a few injuries and not skip a beat.

Don't be surprised if Graves takes snaps at running back, too.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
WaGriz4life said:
go96griz said:
Copper Griz said:

Don't be surprised if Graves takes snaps at running back, too.
I like that. Sulser should get some carries out of the backfield too. Hope Alford, Deming and Gubner can hold down the two inside positions so Sims can play outside where he belongs

Hey Griz fans .... Brian McLaughlin from HERO Sports here. I'd been checking the analytics on our previews to see which fanbases were tuning into them the most, and I saw this damned spike with Griz and Cats fans. I was trying to figure out why, and now I get it ... you guys posted it here!

MUCH appreciated that you all are engaged in Sam's preview work. We bust our asses over 5 weeks producing 126 of these for the FCS level, and when a diehard fanbase like yours pays attention, it makes us remember why.

Appreciate y'all (Southern speak) ... season's almost here.

BrianMacHERO-SPORTS said:
Hey Griz fans .... Brian McLaughlin from HERO Sports here. I'd been checking the analytics on our previews to see which fanbases were tuning into them the most, and I saw this damned spike with Griz and Cats fans. I was trying to figure out why, and now I get it ... you guys posted it here!

MUCH appreciated that you all are engaged in Sam's preview work. We bust our asses over 5 weeks producing 126 of these for the FCS level, and when a diehard fanbase like yours pays attention, it makes us remember why.

Appreciate y'all (Southern speak) ... season's almost here.
Brian, what are your honest thoughts on the 2019 Griz?

Well ... I'll be blunt:

My honest thoughts are that this is a sleeping giant FCS program -- just like Delaware, just like the 'Cats. And I think all three will be quaterfinalist type programs ... soon. This year? Maybe, maybe not ... but all three will be soon once a complete cycle of recruits flushes through, etc etc.

I'd use the word "hibernation" with the Griz program except immediately afterwards I should be tarred and feathered in effigy for breaking that rule for writers -- that you don't make corny remarks about a team using its mascot.

So I won't type that the Griz have been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015. Even though they've been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015.

I mean, Dalton Sneed? Robbie Hauck? NFL Draft prospect Dante Olson? Samuel Akem, etc etc etc? There's a reason we included them in our All-American series last December and in the preseason version earlier this summer. I mean, when I left Gabe Sulser off the elite recruiting list when he was a senior in HS? I was lambasted for it by Griz fans. And you know what? You were right. Kid's insanely good. I could go on and on and on about the individual talent on this roster.

But here's my problem ... has the chemistry set in yet? We thought they'd be good last year in the preseason, they opened with an impressive win over a very good UNI team, and then they never really looked "FCS elite" again the rest of the year. I just didn't get it.

But yeah, I could see this being the breakthrough season. It's just that we (outsiders) can't be the ones "having faith" in a program, ya know? Results/facts are what we base our preseason work on. I think this team is loaded with individual talent, it just has to prove that it can play "as one" an entire year.

When that happens (and it will happen, soon) ... holy crap the FCS better watch out, because you know this team is going to win under Hauck. We've seen it before.

That's my three cents worth.

Well ... I'll be blunt:

My honest thoughts are that this is a sleeping giant FCS program -- just like Delaware, just like the 'Cats. And I think all three will be quaterfinalist type programs ... soon. This year? Maybe, maybe not ... but all three will be soon once a complete cycle of recruits flushes through, etc etc.

I'd use the word "hibernation" with the Griz program except immediately afterwards I should be tarred and feathered in effigy for breaking that rule for writers -- that you don't make corny remarks about a team using its mascot.

So I won't type that the Griz have been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015. Even though they've been in hibernation mode since beating NDSU in 2015.

I mean, Dalton Sneed? Robbie Hauck? NFL Draft prospect Dante Olson? Samuel Akem, etc etc etc? There's a reason we included them in our All-American series last December and in the preseason version earlier this summer. I mean, when I left Gabe Sulser off the elite recruiting list when he was a senior in HS? I was lambasted for it by Griz fans. And you know what? You were right. Kid's insanely good. I could go on and on and on about the individual talent on this roster.

But here's my problem ... has the chemistry set in yet? We thought they'd be good last year in the preseason, they opened with an impressive win over a very good UNI team, and then they never really looked "FCS elite" again the rest of the year. I just didn't get it.

But yeah, I could see this being the breakthrough season. It's just that we (outsiders) can't be the ones "having faith" in a program, ya know? Results/facts are what we base our preseason work on. I think this team is loaded with individual talent, it just has to prove that it can play "as one" an entire year.

When that happens (and it will happen, soon) ... holy crap the FCS better watch out, because you know this team is going to win under Hauck. We've seen it before.

Holy shit BMac, I just ran threw a wall! Passsed our for a minute! Go Griz!

Hooked --- buddy, we appreciate you brutha. Thanks for sharing our preview on here instead of making me pander, man. Appreciate that.

I've seen the stadium under the mountains while on a trip out west years ago ... but by damn I want to see a game there in September. I can't even imagine how badass it is.

Well ... I'll be blunt:

Much appreciated! Thanks for your work and your thoughts about Griz football.

Back