• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hermanson at Safety?

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Hermanson was not "over-hyped" last year. He played very well, especially for a true frosh. A post or two on the internet about the NFL is not over-hyping. Feel free to let us know which poster(s) mentioned the NFL, and then we'll comment on that. The hermy badger thing was this year, and was a joke. The sophomore slump comment comes directly from the coaches.

On more than one occasion, the following posters said that Hermanson could play on Sundays-
Gaeilge1
Baller1
MtGrizRule
ENDallBEallGriz

Kramer thought he was good enough to play in the Big 12. Many other posters said that he would be an All Conference pick. All this after his Freshman year? The kid was hyped to no end!

Come on PlayerRep, all you got to do is type "Hermanson" into the search field to see the post history!

Okay, help me out on this search. I see that Baller said several times hat Hermanson would be an NFL propect, although it was in June, not "last year". MGR sorta endorsed the NFL thing once, belatedly. Didn't see where Gaeilge had said he was an NFL prospect, when I put both names in the search. Endallbeallgriz has only 6 posts, and I didn't notice him saying Hermanson was an NFL prospect. Yes, Krammer said something about the Big12, but he was also criticizing Johnson, including for bad angles and bad tackling (Tru has actually made the NFL, so I'm not so sure Krammer's analysis was particularly valid. Again, help us out on this--and support your assertion with better specifics.

If 2 guys on the internet is your idea of hype and being over-hyped, then I guess I won't be able to debate you on this subject.

IMHO, almost everyone in this thread is dead wrong. Hermy is not the problem, Gregorak is. the coverage is way too predicable. Its a straight up tampa-2 EVERYTIME unless there is only one receiver on that half of the field and/or a blitz. I'm no expert but i figured this out by game #2 so even the most average qbs look like world-beaters with a simple pre-snap read. Its like our coaches are the worst form of bobby-ball: even more conservative and more predictable. Breske's approach didn't rub off on Ty at all. When its that simple, any safety will look like a punk.

Fans can somewhat see adjustments (or at least attempts at adjustments in the O). But any adjustments to the D are hard to find because its always status quo. And I can't stand Ty's personnel substitutions on 3rd down. I get taking the beefy boys out (Tonga and Alex) on every single third down but i will forever disagree with Stu in for Coyle. And what really drives me nuts is that they don't even attempt a more creative substitution. Do we even have a nickleback, or a dime package?

hermy is our best tackler and hardest hitter. In fact, he's about the only player that isn't afraid to bring the wood. Name anyone on the team (other than Moore) who hits harder than Hermy. If Hermy doesn't get the golden helmet award for hardest hitter this year, nobody should.

What I'm unsure of is this, especially from last year.

- Was Hermey over-hyped because of the excellent coverage skills by mostly Tru but also Roots and Lisowski?

- Was Hermey over-hyped because he was backing up and taking time from Bo Tully who has proven (so far) that he's the weak link?

- Or was Hermey just doing incredibly well for a freshman and is new now in a slump?

---------

CV's got me dead to rights, I hyped Hermey up because as I saw it, especially late last year, he was playing pretty well in pass coverage. He did that job well because he had help in coverage with Tru, Roots, and Lisowski locking down the outside WRs and having Mike McCord as the run-support safety that, for the most part, would tackle pretty well and put real hard hits on ball carriers. Hermanson was able to play a softer zone and make more plays on deeper passes.

However if you look at the stats, for a kid that I don't think actually started a game until maybe Western Oregon or Weber State... on the books he's rock solid.

- He was 3rd on the team in total tackles with 64 (and he didn't even play in 2 games), avg 5.3 tackles/game (also of note, he was 2nd best on the team in solo tackles, behind only McSurdy)

- He was also tied for 1st with interceptions (3) with McCord and Roots.

-----------

What's interesting is that this year he's averaging 7 more tackles per game (7.3) and has just 1 pick so far. In terms of just some raw stats he's making more tackles. But of course the non-statistical side is that (at least I believe) he's giving up way more big plays.

Last year down the stretch, Hermanson did everything he needed to, to earn the hype he got coming into this year. He had one of the better True Freshman seasons for a DB that we have ever seen at UM. The NFL stuff is pure speculation. Hermanson has had a disastrous season but is ONLY true Sophomore, so he still has a shot at making the NFL one day. Do I still consider the guy an NFL prospect after this season? No.....but that all can easily change over the next 2 years.

CV did you think that Hermanson didn't earn/deserve the "hype" last year? Did you just feel like calling people out based on hindsight? Or are you just frustrated with the way our DB's are playing this season?

On a side note, I think Trumaine Johnson was one of the most unappreciated players ever to play at UM. People on here were constantly bitching about his tackling, he was always getting burned, overrated coverage skills, lacked heart, wasn't tough etc. etc.....I think this year has shown a lot of people that Tru was hands down the best defensive back to ever play at Montana. Throw your "Montana Boy" biased aside, his talent and body of work at his position are unmatched.

Baller1 said:
Last year down the stretch, Hermanson did everything he needed to, to earn the hype he got coming into this year. He had one of the better True Freshman seasons for a DB that we have ever seen at UM. The NFL stuff is pure speculation. Hermanson has had a disastrous season but is ONLY true Sophomore, so he still has a shot at making the NFL one day. Do I still consider the guy an NFL prospect after this season? No.....but that all can easily change over the next 2 years.

CV did you think that Hermanson didn't earn/deserve the "hype" last year? Did you just feel like calling people out based on hindsight? Or are you just frustrated with the way our DB's are playing this season?

On a side note, I think Trumaine Johnson was one of the most unappreciated players ever to play at UM. People on here were constantly bitching about his tackling, he was always getting burned, overrated coverage skills, lacked heart, wasn't tough etc. etc.....I think this year has shown a lot of people that Tru was hands down the best defensive back to ever play at Montana. Throw your "Montana Boy" biased aside, his talent and body of work at his position are unmatched.

While there's obvious issues with our secondary one could argue that as a fanbase we've got a "Trumaine Hangover" in that many of us (wrongfully) expect our pass D to be as good as it was in the last 3 years when Tru was on top of his game, especially last year, when teams didn't even throw to his side of the field.

At our level to expect that kind of pass D every year... that's a pretty unreal expectation, the combination of Tru/Roots and to a lesser extent Lisowksi rarely happens at the FCS level.

BWahlberg said:
At our level to expect that kind of pass D every year... that's a pretty unreal expectation, the combination of Tru/Roots and to a lesser extent Lisowksi rarely happens at the FCS level.

I don't expect Tru/Roots level every year...but I don't expect the abortion we've had this year either...Is our talent analyses so bad that our best corner is a converted WR and one of the first things we do is convert our best LB recruit to a safety?

What ever happened to Marlon Miles? Why does he not play? Does HE suck as bad as what we've seen so far?

Baller1 said:

I think Hermanson deserved to be singled out for his play as a freshman. He made an impact by just getting the reps that he did and by not looking like he was a "deer in the headlights" which some young players can do. But just because he got on the field as a freshman, that doesn't make him an NFL prospect or an All Conference player. IMO, when fans post these kinds of comments it's more of a "wishful thinking" matter that may not be based entirely on facts. It's kind of like the posters that loved the Delaney hire right off of the bat. Why did they love the decision the hire Delaney so much? Just beacause of his reputation as a "hard ass"? Nobody knew how he was going to turn out as a HC. It was more of an emotional/hopeful reaction than anything else. I think that was the case with Hermanson last year. The fans liked him. He looked decent but why? Maybe it was the fact that he had all of the senior DB's around him or maybe it was the fact that there was a different DC last year. Who knows? All we know for sure is that Hermanson looked decent as a Freshman and did a complete 180' as a Sophomore. Which is the true picture? I guess we'll see next year. Unfortunately, the NFL and All Conference posts just put a lot of extra expectations/pressure on him which is a lot to live up to.

Baller1 said:

Good post, I might put forth Tuff Harris as the best defensive back ever. He has a real knack for making the big play at the right time. Just my opinion though.

garizzalies said:
IMHO, almost everyone in this thread is dead wrong. Hermy is not the problem, Gregorak is. the coverage is way too predicable. Its a straight up tampa-2 EVERYTIME unless there is only one receiver on that half of the field and/or a blitz. I'm no expert but i figured this out by game #2 so even the most average qbs look like world-beaters with a simple pre-snap read. Its like our coaches are the worst form of bobby-ball: even more conservative and more predictable. Breske's approach didn't rub off on Ty at all. When its that simple, any safety will look like a punk.

Fans can somewhat see adjustments (or at least attempts at adjustments in the O). But any adjustments to the D are hard to find because its always status quo. And I can't stand Ty's personnel substitutions on 3rd down. I get taking the beefy boys out (Tonga and Alex) on every single third down but i will forever disagree with Stu in for Coyle. And what really drives me nuts is that they don't even attempt a more creative substitution. Do we even have a nickleback, or a dime package?

hermy is our best tackler and hardest hitter. In fact, he's about the only player that isn't afraid to bring the wood. Name anyone on the team (other than Moore) who hits harder than Hermy. If Hermy doesn't get the golden helmet award for hardest hitter this year, nobody should.

I agree. The defensive backfield play has much to do with the scheme.

BWahlberg said:

- Was Hermey over-hyped because of the excellent coverage skills by mostly Tru but also Roots and Lisowski?

- Was Hermey over-hyped because he was backing up and taking time from Bo Tully who has proven (so far) that he's the weak link?

- Or was Hermey just doing incredibly well for a freshman and is new now in a slump?

---------

CV's got me dead to rights, I hyped Hermey up because as I saw it, especially late last year, he was playing pretty well in pass coverage. He did that job well because he had help in coverage with Tru, Roots, and Lisowski locking down the outside WRs and having Mike McCord as the run-support safety that, for the most part, would tackle pretty well and put real hard hits on ball carriers. Hermanson was able to play a softer zone and make more plays on deeper passes.

However if you look at the stats, for a kid that I don't think actually started a game until maybe Western Oregon or Weber State... on the books he's rock solid.

- He was 3rd on the team in total tackles with 64 (and he didn't even play in 2 games), avg 5.3 tackles/game (also of note, he was 2nd best on the team in solo tackles, behind only McSurdy)

-----------

What's interesting is that this year he's averaging 7 more tackles per game (7.3) and has just 1 pick so far. In terms of just some raw stats he's making more tackles. But of course the non-statistical side is that (at least I believe) he's giving up way more big plays.

What I found interesting was Coach Pflu's comments on National Signing Day 2012 about his recruits. He commented on how he and the coaching staff thought that they needed a "drop down" or a JC recruit to
come in and shore up the safety position. That is why Pflu brought in the "hard hitting" Jacob Coogan.
If Pflu was totally sold on his returning safeties, why bring in a JC transfer? I think he knew there were potential issues at safety. Boy was he right!

CV Griz Fan said:
Baller1 said:

I think Hermanson deserved to be singled out for his play as a freshman. He made an impact by just getting the reps that he did and by not looking like he was a "deer in the headlights" which some young players can do. But just because he got on the field as a freshman, that doesn't make him an NFL prospect or an All Conference player. IMO, when fans post these kinds of comments it's more of a "wishful thinking" matter that may not be based entirely on facts. It's kind of like the posters that loved the Delaney hire right off of the bat. Why did they love the decision the hire Delaney so much? Just beacause of his reputation as a "hard ass"? Nobody knew how he was going to turn out as a HC. It was more of an emotional/hopeful reaction than anything else. I think that was the case with Hermanson last year. The fans liked him. He looked decent but why? Maybe it was the fact that he had all of the senior DB's around him or maybe it was the fact that there was a different DC last year. Who knows? All we know for sure is that Hermanson looked decent as a Freshman and did a complete 180' as a Sophomore. Which is the true picture? I guess we'll see next year. Unfortunately, the NFL and All Conference posts just put a lot of extra expectations/pressure on him which is a lot to live up to.

I'm totally on board with what your saying, and clearly see/understand your side of the argument. I would say that Hermanson was better than "decent" last year, but certainly has been worse than awful this season. Wishful thinking has a lot to do with young players when you are a fan. Hermanson's hype machine has come crashing down to earth this year, that is for sure, but I still believe the kid has potential to be a great player.
Not trying to make excuses for poor play but I believe that injuries and scheme/coaching have played a significant role this year as well. Breske was extremely high on Hermanson, and trusted him to take a majority of reps last year in his system and be an effective player. For whatever reason.....a lot has changed for Hermanson since last year.

Maybe the pressure of all those NFL scouts watching, is the problem. Ha-ha. I think Hermanson will be fine, and have a very good career at UM.

PlayerRep said:
Maybe the pressure of all those NFL scouts watching, is the problem. Ha-ha. I think Hermanson will be fine, and have a very good career at UM.

According to nfldraftscout.com, Hermanson is the 13th rated FS (out of 94) Draft Prostpect in the class of 2015. This site is typically pretty accurate, but evaluating prospect is a inexact science as we all know. Regardless of where he is/was ranked, I would imagine his stocked is dropping considerably this season. I agree that Hermy will have a very good career at UM.

NFL Draft Scout Link
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97336&draftyear=2015&genpos=FS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baller1 said:
PlayerRep said:

According to nfldraftscout.com, Hermanson is the 13th rated FS (out of 94) Draft Prostpect in the class of 2015. This site is typically pretty accurate, but evaluating prospect is a inexact science as we all know. Regardless of where he is/was ranked, I would imagine his stocked is dropping considerably this season. I agree that Hermy will have a very good career at UM.

NFL Draft Scout Link
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97336&draftyear=2015&genpos=FS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So NFL scouts/interests thought/think Hermanson has NFL potential? It wasn't just you. Oh no, what will the doubters do now? Does anyone know how to inform the NFL not to keep "hyping" our safety?

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:

---------

-----------

What I found interesting was Coach Pflu's comments on National Signing Day 2012 about his recruits. He commented on how he and the coaching staff thought that they needed a "drop down" or a JC recruit to
come in and shore up the safety position. That is why Pflu brought in the "hard hitting" Jacob Coogan.
If Pflu was totally sold on his returning safeties, why bring in a JC transfer? I think he knew there were potential issues at safety. Boy was he right!

I agree, look at the safety 2-deep we had already before Coogan came in, we had Tully / Hermanson and Lebsock / Rominger. By all purposes it makes NO sense to bring in a JuCo unless you're looking at that 2-deep thinking... uh oh, we've got problems here.

My guess (total speculation) is that Pflu saw the balance Coogan could bring, the hard-hitting aspect especially, since in recent years we've balanced our safeties with a harder hitting run support guy (like McCord and Anderson) and a more athletic zone coverage guy (like Stoll and Schillenger). It's a guess but he looked at the top 4 safeties we had and saw that Hermey was hopefully the cover guy, as was Lebsock who maybe just wasn't ready to start yet.. Rominger is a hard-hitting guy but they are (and still are it would appear based on his playing time) really worried about his coverage, Tully... no clue.

Additionally they look at the 4 and think that they really only have 1 guy that played solid in the position last year (Hermanson) and that wasn't even for a full season, and so they need a JuCo who can step in and challenge right away.

It just sucks Coogan's neck injury has apparently ended his career - right when he was "getting it" in camp too.

Back