• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Heard a rumor in Bozeman......

I like the city of Bozeman. I like Missoula more. Bigger, along a river, and a better-shaped downtown. Good restaurants and bars in both. By the way, I like the new sushi place next to Stocks.

4theluvofgriz said:
grizindabox said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Nowisgriztime said:
Seeing how he is majoring in Mechanical Engineering MSU was a very smart choice.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Just checked and the MSU mechanical engineering program is ranked #89 out of 108 schools. Like I said, he must not be very smart

Where does the UM mechanical engineering program rank?

UM produces well-rounded grads who rise to high-level executive positions as leaders, or simply start their own dynamic companies, unlike an MSU engineering grad sitting at a desk in some stark, dimly-lit room trying to avoid puncturing his plastic pocket protector.

Lots of examples of grads that have been real successful from both schools.

The ones that always come to my mind are Paul Schmechel vs Bob Gannon. Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtgrizfankb said:
Mousegriz said:
hilinegrizfan said:
bigsky33 said:
I guess you have not been to the Bozeman area lately and seen all the start-up high tech and other companies started by MSU grads. Also, these engineers come out of MSU with good, high paying jobs. there is a reason that MSU enrollment is up to almost 17,000. It is because they know they will get a good education and a good job when they graduate. Unfortunately, UM is going in the opposite direction.

Yes, yes, Bozeman is booming. All the out of staters who want to dress up as cowboys and pretend to be Montanan's are flocking to your town in their spotless $500 stetson hats they bought that day for the week they are there. Aside from "downtown" main street the entire city is turning into one giant ugly suburban sprawl with no end in sight. Every time I'm there the traffic gets worse and worse, just driving from 4 corners to 19th took over 30 minutes. Uber rich elites at the Yellowstone club are buying up a once awesome Big Sky and turning it into a Montana version of Aspen. People are flying across the country and spending thousands of dollars to pay someone to flyfish 5 feet from the highway 191 on the Gallatin just to get a picture with a trout for their Instagram page. Bozeman used to be cool but it's turning into a gimmick. The make-believe cowboys and pretend ranchers are even moving into Livingston and have already bought up half of paradise valley. I was at the Livingston rodeo which used to be a family tradition for my wife but I had to stop going because all the Tex-Ranchero wannabees wearing their first pair of cowboy boots and wranglers they picked up at Murdoch's the day before overtook the whole thing and even saw real housewives of whatever with their gucci bags and high heels bitching about animal cruelty when someone rode a bull. I lived in bozeman area for five years and have good friends there but i sure am glad that I live in Missoula for good now. Have fun with all that shit you got going on over there. I'll come ski and leave.

That being said, I for one am happy that MSU enrollment is up. It's good for the Montana university system as a whole and good for the state. However, Bozeman ---- sucks.

Agreed!

It's a rotating cycle and will always be one. UM attendance was way up when arts and business degrees were needed in the economy. now those were over filled and engineering and others are booming. however there signs the market is saturating and 60k a year entry positions are getting 100-200 applicants. that will drive the market value down and when those jobs become 40k a year starting jobs....they will lose demand. The education and job market is one big economical swing pattern. if you took many econ classes they probably covered this. by 2022-23 we will probably see a dramatic drop in engineering majors. just because the value of the degree will dissipate and there will be a need for comm majors and business majors. Not to mention many other degrees now are adding addition parts of computer science and engineering into their degrees. take our business programs. they now have emphasis in MIS and easy minors and certs. in MIS. When those perspective people can do both...marketing and MIS or Management and MIS they will be able to hand much of the work load that goes to specific personnel now. UM did do a bad job of jumping on the train...which has made the numbers worse than they should have been. However if you think MSU is just gonna get bigger and bigger and bigger, you are incorrect. It will swing back the other way, MSU should be preparing for that and hopefully they are better and understanding the economic evolution than UM was. Although there were many people at UM trying to push change and the president didn't seem to agree.
Uh No... Engineering degrees have never been over-saturated nor will they ever be. An engineer can easily get an MBA and work as a high end manager, a business major can never do engineering work. There is no undergraduate degree that is offered at UM that can match an ME degree from MSU for job prospects or salary.

Um........fellas what do you say we shut this down or at least move it to another thread that’s not about football like this one was supposed to be. :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
Um........fellas what do you say we shut this down or at least move it to another thread that’s not about football like this one was supposed to be. :thumb:

Agreed. I've never understood why programs that learn you how to drive trains that steer themselves was such a source of pride. I've always kinda thought it was more of an "on-the-job" type of program.

4theluvofgriz said:
grizindabox said:
4theluvofgriz said:
Nowisgriztime said:
Seeing how he is majoring in Mechanical Engineering MSU was a very smart choice.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Just checked and the MSU mechanical engineering program is ranked #89 out of 108 schools. Like I said, he must not be very smart

UM produces well-rounded grads who rise to high-level executive positions as leaders, or simply start their own dynamic companies, unlike an MSU engineering grad sitting at a desk in some stark, dimly-lit room trying to avoid puncturing his plastic pocket protector.

I read a post one time about a commencement exercise at a big name school. I apologize but I forgot the school. Maybe it was Penn State.
The engineering graduates started cheering "we've got jobs" over and over again. After a brief period of time the business school graduates started cheering back "working for us."
That pretty much ended the cheering contest.

I just found it on line.
"When forty-six hundred VA Tech graduates gathered in the football stadium for commencement exercises in 1981. The engineering students rose in masse, enthusiastically shouting, “We’ve got jobs! We’ve got jobs!” In response, the business students shouted, “Working for us! Working for us!”

indian-outlaw said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Mousegriz said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Yes, yes, Bozeman is booming. All the out of staters who want to dress up as cowboys and pretend to be Montanan's are flocking to your town in their spotless $500 stetson hats they bought that day for the week they are there. Aside from "downtown" main street the entire city is turning into one giant ugly suburban sprawl with no end in sight. Every time I'm there the traffic gets worse and worse, just driving from 4 corners to 19th took over 30 minutes. Uber rich elites at the Yellowstone club are buying up a once awesome Big Sky and turning it into a Montana version of Aspen. People are flying across the country and spending thousands of dollars to pay someone to flyfish 5 feet from the highway 191 on the Gallatin just to get a picture with a trout for their Instagram page. Bozeman used to be cool but it's turning into a gimmick. The make-believe cowboys and pretend ranchers are even moving into Livingston and have already bought up half of paradise valley. I was at the Livingston rodeo which used to be a family tradition for my wife but I had to stop going because all the Tex-Ranchero wannabees wearing their first pair of cowboy boots and wranglers they picked up at Murdoch's the day before overtook the whole thing and even saw real housewives of whatever with their gucci bags and high heels bitching about animal cruelty when someone rode a bull. I lived in bozeman area for five years and have good friends there but i sure am glad that I live in Missoula for good now. Have fun with all that shit you got going on over there. I'll come ski and leave.

That being said, I for one am happy that MSU enrollment is up. It's good for the Montana university system as a whole and good for the state. However, Bozeman ---- sucks.

Agreed!

It's a rotating cycle and will always be one. UM attendance was way up when arts and business degrees were needed in the economy. now those were over filled and engineering and others are booming. however there signs the market is saturating and 60k a year entry positions are getting 100-200 applicants. that will drive the market value down and when those jobs become 40k a year starting jobs....they will lose demand. The education and job market is one big economical swing pattern. if you took many econ classes they probably covered this. by 2022-23 we will probably see a dramatic drop in engineering majors. just because the value of the degree will dissipate and there will be a need for comm majors and business majors. Not to mention many other degrees now are adding addition parts of computer science and engineering into their degrees. take our business programs. they now have emphasis in MIS and easy minors and certs. in MIS. When those perspective people can do both...marketing and MIS or Management and MIS they will be able to hand much of the work load that goes to specific personnel now. UM did do a bad job of jumping on the train...which has made the numbers worse than they should have been. However if you think MSU is just gonna get bigger and bigger and bigger, you are incorrect. It will swing back the other way, MSU should be preparing for that and hopefully they are better and understanding the economic evolution than UM was. Although there were many people at UM trying to push change and the president didn't seem to agree.
Uh No... Engineering degrees have never been over-saturated nor will they ever be. An engineer can easily get an MBA and work as a high end manager, a business major can never do engineering work. There is no undergraduate degree that is offered at UM that can match an ME degree from MSU for job prospects or salary.

This is a very typical response. But the facts remain that even the engineering market will become saturated and when it does, the price of employment will drop and the market will counter balance. There are numerous professions over the last 50 years that were "never going to saturate" but they all have and then rebounded again. The market will adapt, I promise you

hilinegrizfan said:
bigsky33 said:
4theluvofgriz said:
grizindabox said:

I guess you have not been to the Bozeman area lately and seen all the start-up high tech and other companies started by MSU grads. Also, these engineers come out of MSU with good, high paying jobs. there is a reason that MSU enrollment is up to almost 17,000. It is because they know they will get a good education and a good job when they graduate. Unfortunately, UM is going in the opposite direction.

Exactly. Is it any wonder many real Montanans now refer to it as Bozeangeles.

hilinegrizfan said:

Replace the word "Bozeman" with "Missoula" and you pretty much have the same story. Bozeman is more "western/cowboy". Missoula is more "hippy/yuppie". Both towns/regions of the state have been gentrified just like every other beautiful mountain town in the West.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
hilinegrizfan said:
bigsky33 said:
4theluvofgriz said:

I am a real Montanan...And I call them Bozeangeles, and San Franssoula..

CDAGRIZ said:
Dutch Lane said:

Agreed. I've never understood why programs that learn you how to drive trains that steer themselves was such a source of pride. I've always kinda thought it was more of an "on-the-job" type of program.

Very expensive striped hats is what I was told.

SACCAT66 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
hilinegrizfan said:
bigsky33 said:

Missoula hasn't morphed since I went to the University in the 70's. Bozeman? Well Bozeman has changed from a pleasant Montana cow town with a college to a cross between Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Aspen and Seattle. A lot of glitter and sparkle but too expensive for the locals.
I do business in both and have personally been told by long time residents how much they dislike the Bozeman of today and the "swagger" of the young Bozmaniacs.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Dutch Lane said:

Very expensive striped hats is what I was told.

True. But any engineer worth his coal gets his employer to front him the pelts to trade for his stripes.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
SACCAT66 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Missoula hasn't morphed since I went to the University in the 70's. Bozeman? Well Bozeman has changed from a pleasant Montana cow town with a college to a cross between Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Aspen and Seattle. A lot of glitter and sparkle but too expensive for the locals.
I do business in both and have personally been told by long time residents how much they dislike the Bozeman of today and the "swagger" of the young Bozmaniacs.

Born and raised in Bozeman...Left for college and work for about 8 years, been back for many more. I see the good and the bad with it. I like that there are way more options here in Bozeman than when I grew up, but I agree that the attitude has changed. As a business owner, it is very hard to find affordable help in the area (they can't make less than about $18-$20 an hour and survive).

MT Jack said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Replace the word "Bozeman" with "Missoula" and you pretty much have the same story. Bozeman is more "western/cowboy". Missoula is more "hippy/yuppie". Both towns/regions of the state have been gentrified just like every other beautiful mountain town in the West.

I agree Missoula is more hippy and I'm ok with that, and there definitely are trustafarians here.but if you think it is more yuppie than bozeman you have a screw loose. Bozeman BY FAR has way more rich out of state yuppies living there than Missoula. A lot of that is due to recent rich guy expansion in big sky and the yellowstone club. The yellowstone club yuppie attitude has completely taken over big sky and its now spilling into bozeman.

grizindabox said:
4theluvofgriz said:
grizindabox said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Well, I am a guy that has a Business degree from UM that decided to get my Engineering degree a few years later, and I am much happier. FYI, I don't sit at a stark, dimly lit desk and not sure why any engineer needs a plastic pocket protector these days. But back to the original statement. Some kids want to be engineers and they can not do it at UM. And even if they are ranked 89th, I would guess that the average salaries of those students is above a majority of UM grads wage. It kind of is what it is.

MSU is a good engineering school....I will take as many shots about their sports programs as I please, but I wont bash them for their education. They produce good engineers, and are kicking our ass in enrollment numbers. IDK why we'd make fun of that.

I happen to run into a lot of MSU grads down in Dallas and end up working on the same projects, which I find very enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back