• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has Engstrom Done Anything Positive?

EverettGriz said:
Lovethecats75 said:
Very Very Positive- he is the President do um not MSU.

I can certainly see why. You must be damn proud of the education you received.....

As a matter of fact I am. I got a great education and a degree in law,from the best law school in MT. Just so you know it was not MSU.
Maybe just maybe some day we can meet in court.

Maybe just maybe some day we can meet in court.

Doubtful on my part. But a word of advice to you: Just remember that you are owed the best defense possible, even from your public defender.

Apparently, there are a number of faculty members who are none too impressed by how things are being run. This guest editorial, which appeared in the last Sunday, was authored by a fairly influential professor and co-signed by several others. I was surprised at the time it was never mentioned here.

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/um-administration-to-blame-for-shortfall-budget-mismanagement-by-top/article_12a450a4-ca0f-11e2-a59a-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRO said:
Apparently, there are a number of faculty members who are none too impressed by how things are being run. This guest editorial, which appeared in the last Sunday, was authored by a fairly influential professor and co-signed by several others. I was surprised at the time it was never mentioned here.

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/um-administration-to-blame-for-shortfall-budget-mismanagement-by-top/article_12a450a4-ca0f-11e2-a59a-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not exactly a "peanut gallery," but they pulled their punches in that piece.

Engstrom's standing on campus is quite low. The recent roll-out of the "rebranding" was just pathetic. The new "brand" is lame; a rewarmed version of the same-old, same-old. Nobody on campus can figure out what the point even is of the re-brand. Most can't tell the difference.

Really, "Thrive!"??

It sounds like Dan Rather deciding to sign off his CBS News broadcasts with "Courage!" -- rather than inspiring, it was just plain strange. Among other odd impressions, the new slogan sounds most like the County Extension Agent talking about what the Calf will do with the Colostrum Supplement.

Other than the fact that it is, frankly, embarrassing to the campus, how much did it cost the Main Hall Brain Trust to come up with that, anyway?

Unfortunately, it is consistent with the developing campus opinion of Engstrom. He might make a first-rate vice president of research, but everything he does as a "leader" is second or even third rate and even, a bit strange.

When Engstrom spoke at the GSA BBQ in Great Falls, the room fell silent, as if no one really cared for what he had to say. He spoke for about 10 minutes and almost put all to sleep. The applause he did receive was more for the fact he was done speaking than for what he had to say. Isn't enrollment down at UM also?

reinell30 said:
When Engstrom spoke at the GSA BBQ in Great Falls, the room fell silent, as if no one really cared for what he had to say. He spoke for about 10 minutes and almost put all to sleep. The applause he did receive was more for the fact he was done speaking than for what he had to say. Isn't enrollment down at UM also?
George Dennison had his critics, but there was always the umistakable message that he loved the University of Montana and thought he was the luckiest guy on earth to be its president, and equally unmistakably, he had a vision for what UM was to become; under his leadership, it became the clear flagship of the Montana University System.

Royce Engstrom is not animated by any "vision." That's most obvious when he starts talking.

He can't inspire, because he's not inspired by anything in particular. He likes his job, for some odd reason, and that's about it, but its hard to construct a forward leadership out of that.

:thumb: :clap: An excellent letter...and be sure to read on to Bobby Lee's lengthy following comment. Together they make up a well written indictment of what's going on inside The University of Montana. It's been exposed like overripe fruit - rotting from the inside out. We've known for sometime how prospective students and parents feel about UM - now we can add in any worthwhile faculty prospect who would be nuts to put themselves into this totally disfunctional madhouse. Meanwhile, Helena, the BOR, the Governor, et al continue to not only ignore incompetence - but to reward it!

Is Engstrom over his head with the job? If he continues in the job, won't he further damage UM? Shouldn't someone in authority ask for his resignation?

Spanky said:
Is Engstrom over his head with the job? If he continues in the job, won't he further damage UM? Shouldn't someone in authority ask for his resignation?

Who would that be?? The regents are the only ones who could do that and they are the ones that appointed him. I suppose Bullock could also but that will never happen.

Back