• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has Engstrom Done Anything Positive?

Spanky

Most of us haven't been impressed by Engstrom. My question is ...has Engstrom done anything positive as President of UM? We have seen the strong positive influence of Waded Cruzado at state college. What about Engstrom?

Spanky said:
Most of us haven't been impressed by Engstrom. My question is ...has Engstrom done anything positive as President of UM? We have seen the strong positive influence of Waded Cruzado at state college. What about Engstrom?

No. His greatest accomplishment will be his retirement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The things going on behind the scenes was a mess at the end of the Dennison era. The fact that UM can be investigated by multiple organizations and thus far come out fairly clean should speak to the clean up Engstrom has been doing. His handling of the Pflu and O'Day situation was poor but he's also done some things well.

RE has made the Athletics Facilities Improvements move forward. All the projects planned have been in need for years, at least to the time of the last Adams remodel. Dennison refused to OK any of the projects until funding for all was secured. This turned off many potential donors who did not want their money just sitting in escrow for years. When RE became President, he OK'd the completion of each project individually as funds were raised. He also Ok'd matching funds thru GSA. We now have lights at WaGriz because of that. We will see construction started soon on the Academic Center. Funding for the weight room is ongoing.

Yeah.....he's got TWO positive actions under his belt......shit-canned O'Day & Pflugrad!! Spared the State of Montana any more embarrassment from ongoing scandals that kept surfacing....not to mention the NCAA hammer that would have come down if they still had their jobs!! The fan base from the whole State of Montana owes Royce a big Thank-You.

Teton Cat said:
Yeah.....he's got TWO positive actions under his belt......shit-canned O'Day & Pflugrad!! Spared the State of Montana any more embarrassment from ongoing scandals that kept surfacing....not to mention the NCAA hammer that would have come down if they still had their jobs!! The fan base from the whole State of Montana owes Royce a big Thank-You.
If that was so important, why wasn't Fields fired along with Kramer?

It was my understanding that one of the reasons RE was hired was that as a chemist he could better increase research grant revenue. It was to be a key measuring stick for his performance. Does anyone have any data for that over the last few years to see what his report card looks like?

Teton Cat said:

Some of it is true. But I wish I was a defense attorney in Missoula with the new sexual harassment/assault policy UM has in place. Engstrom sees Justice Department compliance, I see $$$ for civil rights attorneys.

maroonandsilver said:
RE has made the Athletics Facilities Improvements move forward. All the projects planned have been in need for years, at least to the time of the last Adams remodel. Dennison refused to OK any of the projects until funding for all was secured. This turned off many potential donors who did not want their money just sitting in escrow for years. When RE became President, he OK'd the completion of each project individually as funds were raised. He also Ok'd matching funds thru GSA. We now have lights at WaGriz because of that. We will see construction started soon on the Academic Center. Funding for the weight room is ongoing.

All of this is negated by the horrible firings of O'Day and Pflugrad IMO.

CV Griz Fan said:
maroonandsilver said:

All of this is negated by the horrible firings of O'Day and Pflugrad IMO.

I second the motion!

Teton Cat said:

What were the "scandals" under Pflu?

Negatives: Engstrom's administration didn't deal with the Jordan Johnson issue intelligently. He's alienated a whole bunch of UM athletic boosters.

Positive: He seems to act like he's the president of a university...not a football program. Or is that a negative? ;)

Smart-assery aside, Griz fans deserve a break from this ongoing athletes in the headlines BS.

Like all the other posters in this thread, I am in no position to judge REs performance as a University President. As a shill for the football program, he has clearly been deficient. But not understanding the first thing about the challenges he's faced doesn't stop the peanut gallery from blathering on. It's as if the anthropologist were being criticized by the apes.

Latest posts

Back