• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz have one of toughest schedules in FCS

jodcon said:
I was going to weigh on on the injury question but I hurt me arm playing catch with my 5th grade neighbor kid, what does that do for the numbers?

There’s something in this about being smarter than a 5th grader, but I’m just going to avoid going there @ this point. Carry on.

Missoula223 said:
grizpaws said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Interesting "discussion" about injuries. And I don't know how you can ever resolve it without a major study. The fact is: In real studies that have been done, at a given level of play (peewee, HS, college, pro) injuries depend most upon "exposures." And because players spend way more time in practice, the stats show that roughly half of all injuries (football as well as other sports, BTW) occur in practice. That's why there's been a push to reduce the time spent in full-contact football practice. From what I've read, that has moved the bar in a good direction, but not all that much. I would venture to say that the skill/athleticism difference in "play up" football games is not much of a blip on the overall radar.

This. There is a lot of anecdotal stuff in the thread about injuries caused by the disparity between FCS and FBS players. There is supposition (which quite frankly sounds reasonable to me) that over time, size, speed and strength result in injury to the smaller, slower and weaker players. But Ida is right: there should be a study that resolves the issue based upon fact, not conjecture. I mean, how do guys like JLM and Sulser, or for that matter, R. Hauck, have 4 year careers? They're smaller players. I've spent enough time in weight rooms to know that larger people can develop more strength than smaller people. Yet, there are a lot of smaller people that play the game successfully without being injured.

Agreed. Small individuals are capable of playing big time football both at a high level and without injury. However wouldn't you say these are outliers? What college football coach gets excited about the 5'9" 180 pound receiver or DB or whatever it may be?

Yeah, I don't know if they are outliers or not, but that is Ida's point. Without specific data to verify, it is just speculation. I do know that some of the best Griz of all time were not large men...DD, Levander Segars, Joe Douglass to name a few; and, they were not injury prone. I think coaches at all levels are going to be excited about talent, not necessarily size (Cohen at Chicago, Hill at KC, e.g.). So, the debate goes on.

SaskGriz said:
Any study would be hampered by privacy concerns and some universities not wanting to release or discuss injuries. An example would be our own Griz where Demming/Babros have been listed as one of the DE pairings for the last three games or so despite little evidence that either one has played much if at all. (Just checked, Demming's last D stat was against Monmouth and Babros against OU). Someone with better access to the depth charts could check, but to my memory they have been the listed pairing each week since then.

Not necessarily: the numbers don't give away information protected by HIPPA...they are simply statistics, not names or individual health information, so that wouldn't violate anyone's privacy. In terms of Colleges not wanting to participate, I have no knowledge one way or the other...but, if the study could protect the health of a college's students, why would you not want to participate?

Missoula223 said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Seriously, how big of a gap do you think is between Montana and the Oregon's of the FBS world? And go ahead and keep using the extremes to try and prove your point.

The point is that the greater the disparity, the more likely there is to be more injuries, over time and over many games. The less the disparity, then the less the injury factor, again over many games.

I will not argue that a bunch of 5th graders playing the Dolphins would lead to more injures, but the original direction of this thread was about a FCS team playing a FBS team, both full of 18-22 year old recruited athletes. So my entire point was that I do not agree with the notion that Griz football players are more likely to be injured when playing teams like Oregon or Washington based on size, speed, or strength, because I do not believe that the disparity is of significance overall.

You do agree that a great disparity between each level would lead to more injury though as you just stated, in 5th graders vs Dolphins. Where we disagree is you believe the difference between us and UO is minimal, which I'm truly not stating is exponential I think we played a damn good game against them for the most part, but there is still a differential however small it may be which overtime would result in more injuries.

Again, I had originally intended to shut spankys dumbass up, and I don't feel injuries are one of the main reasons to not play those teams, but over time and if enough plays are taken into account there will be a greater risk and number of injuries however small or large that amount may be.

Actually what I was getting at is physical maturity, which is more of the narrative you are trying to push. And IMO, the physical maturity between UM and Oregon is pretty much the same...not so much with fifth graders and grown men.

TCCGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
If I were you guys I'd stop scheduling these big bullying teams. It's just not worth the money knowing you're way more likely to suffer injuries playing these huge bruisers.

In fact, I'd go a step farther and demand to the athletic department that you will no longer support a program who care so little about your athletes that they'd put them in such obvious danger.

Put your money where your mouth is and make it clear you will not support such injustice!

If I were you , I think you should look for a QB !
Choate is as dumb as Stitt and his 40 wide receivers .
In fact , I'd go a step further and demand to the athletic department that you will no longer support a program who cares so little about having a real QB on the roster ,
Relax guy. It was hyperbole... :roll:

ilovethecats said:
TCCGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
If I were you guys I'd stop scheduling these big bullying teams. It's just not worth the money knowing you're way more likely to suffer injuries playing these huge bruisers.

In fact, I'd go a step farther and demand to the athletic department that you will no longer support a program who care so little about your athletes that they'd put them in such obvious danger.

Put your money where your mouth is and make it clear you will not support such injustice!

In fact , I'd go a step further and demand to the athletic department that you will no longer support a program who cares so little about having a real QB on the roster ,

First of all, I'm going to give you a pass on your comment just for the fact you're use to dealing with the morons on Bobcat nation.
Second of all, apparently you lack the intell; I mean sense of humor to see how I copied and pasted part of your original post.
FTC

TCCGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
TCCGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

First of all, I'm going to give you a pass on your comment just for the fact you're use to dealing with the morons on Bobcat nation.
Second of all, apparently you lack the intell; I mean sense of humor to see how I copied and pasted part of your original post.
FTC

Well now my feelings are hurt and my weekend is ruined.... :cry:

ilovethecats said:
TCCGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
TCCGRIZ said:

FTC

Well now my feelings are hurt and my weekend is ruined.... :cry:

Who said they cared about your feelings . FTC

Back