• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz D

Not only will the griz probably keep the 3-3-5 in place but you will start to see more teams across the FCS deploy it. It is getting harder for FCS teams to recruit enough high quality d lineman to have a proper rotation for a traditional 4-3-4. They will just have to get more creative at stopping teams like MSU with the 1+ running approach. It's a good base D for our level but you gotta be flexible with the packages and situation. It can't just be all twist stunting all the time.

RoseyMustGo said:
I just know that Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, North Dakota State, and South Dakota state do NOT run the 3-3-5 as their base defense. They have nickel and dime packages which use additional D-backs, of course. But their base defense is either a 3-4 or a 4-3. I don't need to know anything else. You emulate excellence, not gimmicks.
That the 3-3-5 defense is a different approach does not make it a gimmick.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:
I just know that Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, North Dakota State, and South Dakota state do NOT run the 3-3-5 as their base defense. They have nickel and dime packages which use additional D-backs, of course. But their base defense is either a 3-4 or a 4-3. I don't need to know anything else. You emulate excellence, not gimmicks.
That the 3-3-5 defense is a different approach does not make it a gimmick.

That poster really doesn’t know hardly anything about football. Lots of stupid comments.

kemajic said:
poorgriz said:
I just really really hope the griz run the 3 3 5 next year when the Cats come to town.
It worked pretty well in 2021.
Tommy Mellot and Sean Chambers were not playing QB then. They can both expose the 3-3-5 if you're to stubborn to make the adjustments.

indian-outlaw said:
kemajic said:
It worked pretty well in 2021.
Tommy Mellot and Sean Chambers were not playing QB then. They can both expose the 3-3-5 if you're to stubborn to make the adjustments.
Mellott played, was not effective. The MSU OL was badly beaten. Different story this year. They have to figure out how to defend the +1 offenses.

kemajic said:
indian-outlaw said:
Mellott played, was not effective. The MSU OL was badly beaten. Different story this year. They have to figure out how to defend the +1 offenses.
That's my point, Mellot played reciever and a little wildcat QB. That offense was not a +1 offense with McKay playing QB. Mellot runs it very efficiently and out 3-3-5 was badly exposed.

indian-outlaw said:
kemajic said:
That's my point, Mellot played reciever and a little wildcat QB. That offense was not a +1 offense with McKay playing QB. Mellot runs it very efficiently and out 3-3-5 was badly exposed.

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself because I know in my heart I'll never go back to the sidelines or film rooms again. But, I've watched over and over the NDSU, Wyoming, Kansas State and Montana State derivations of the A-gap power tweaks this year. Messingham is a freaking genius! Don't think he's coaching anymore, but that's not relevant.

How do you think you'll stop the counter trey in a 3-3-5? When I watch that, it's like seeing the 38 buck sweep to start the game with the simple wing-t.

McKay had several ribs cracked in the Weber game last year, in his defense. Nice kid and Vigen helped him get back home. He was still decent in the RPO if he could roll out but couldn't keep up inside and the veer got ate alive.

Dig out the Houston Veer before you play NDSU assuming you get past SEMO. Watch those tapes.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
indian-outlaw said:

How do you think you'll stop the counter trey in a 3-3-5? When I watch that, it's like seeing the 38 buck sweep to start the game with the simple wing-t.
Man, you would have to tell me. But wouldn't the 3-3-5 be a good defense for that with good a side line to side line run stopper safety like hauck and a little less lb blitzing?

Well, unfortunately the quickness/speed factor of the Griz defense has not gotten it done against the Cats since Bobby has returned. Last year appears to be an outlier. When a team doesn’t really have to pass the ball and beats you silly - you might want to evaluate your defensive scheme. Now, does that mean the Griz should build an offense or defense for one game a year? No, but that one team is getting to the natty and having a whole lot of success. Maybe they are on to something. The true answer will be if the Griz play NDSU. What does the 3-3-5 look like in that game? The 3-3-5 has worked very well against most teams. Tough to just throw it out when there has been some success. Especially when you have been recruiting for that defense. Somebody else talked about the portal and how tough it could be to get big D linemen. Maybe, but that is why you need player development. Get the bugs in early and keep ‘em.

indian-outlaw said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Man, you would have to tell me. But wouldn't the 3-3-5 be a good defense for that with good a side line to side line run stopper safety like hauck and a little less lb blitzing?

I don't think I'd use it against this:

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/platform/amp/2018/8/30/17785710/scouting-report-furman-offense

Against that crap that Eastern Washington runs? Hell yes. Even that garbage that came out of New Hampshire but not against good, fast and quick offensive linemen.

Copper Griz said:
Well, unfortunately the quickness/speed factor of the Griz defense has not gotten it done against the Cats since Bobby has returned. Last year appears to be an outlier. When a team doesn’t really have to pass the ball and beats you silly - you might want to evaluate your defensive scheme. Now, does that mean the Griz should build an offense or defense for one game a year? No, but that one team is getting to the natty and having a whole lot of success. Maybe they are on to something. The true answer will be if the Griz play NDSU. What does the 3-3-5 look like in that game? The 3-3-5 has worked very well against most teams. Tough to just throw it out when there has been some success. Especially when you have been recruiting for that defense. Somebody else talked about the portal and how tough it could be to get big D linemen. Maybe, but that is why you need player development. Get the bugs in early and keep ‘em.

Maybe this year’s Cat game was the outlier.

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:

This year's game was similar to 2019. In both cases, a Bobby led team got assess kicked.

mthoopsfan said:
indiancoyote said:
This year's game was similar to 2019. In both cases, a Bobby led team got assess kicked.

Vigan wasn’t the Cat coach in 2019.

What does that have to do with a Bobby led team getting his kicked by the Cats? Are you implying that every Cat coach will kick a Bobby led team's ass?

mthoopsfan said:
Copper Griz said:

I hope so, but regardless the coach for the Cats they seem to have success running against the Griz D. Scheme, prep, size? I certainly don’t have the answer. I am really interested to watch the Cats play Weber again. (Assuming they win against UND). I think they match up better and will stop the run partially. I think passing is the Cats kryptonite. Just haven’t had to rely upon it yet this year.

indiancoyote said:
mthoopsfan said:
Vigan wasn’t the Cat coach in 2019.

What does that have to do with a Bobby led team getting his kicked by the Cats? Are you implying that every Cat coach will kick a Bobby led team's ass?

I'm saying that the past 2 games have been the only Cat/Griz games coached by Vigan and Hauck. UM won the first; Cats won the second. It's just plan stupid to say that last year was the outlier.

Bear Spray said:
So now that you've recovered from your turkey coma, some food for thought. Bobby's run this D for a few years now & by most measures it's effective. It does seem like well coached teams are catching onto how to attack it though - Idaho threw effectively against it, MSU ran pretty good too. Would you like to see a more tradition scheme next season, or is this the best fit for the kids on the team & their talents, and do you think another scheme would be more effective against teams like MSU & NDSU's running games?

Lots of quality responses, thanks, I appreciate the detail. If Bobby had told the defense after the JMU game last year that they’d go to an aggressive 4/3 defense for 2022, would the team had more wins?

Back