• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz/cat Week

Would be a lot easier to think about letting TDC go if they didn’t extend him after back to back subpar seasons. This makes 3 straight.

UMFan12 said:
Griz til I die said:
Not Decuire’s fault tonight!
Putting inferior talent he recruited on the floor is his fault
I don’t think we have inferior talent at all. This team could easily be 7-1 in conference play if they knew how to close a game. That’s not a talent issue. That’s guys panicking and rushing shots. Blame Decuire all you want, but this loss was not his fault in any way!

Griz til I die said:
UMFan12 said:
Putting inferior talent he recruited on the floor is his fault
I don’t think we have inferior talent at all. This team could easily be 7-1 in conference play if they knew how to close a game. That’s not a talent issue. That’s guys panicking and rushing shots. Blame Decuire all you want, but this loss was not his fault in any way!
Team has no strength. Mediocre in every aspect. World doesn’t operate on coulds. End of the day the team is under talented with little depth, and over coached. Not a good recipe for closing games.

UMFan12 said:
Griz til I die said:
Team has no strength. Mediocre in every aspect. World doesn’t operate on coulds. End of the day the team is under talented with little depth, and over coached. Not a good recipe for closing games.
I think over coached is exactly it. The guys have to play more loose. Let them fly around and show their athletic abilities more without being afraid of making a mistake.

UMFan12 said:
Griz til I die said:
How many times has this team been blown out this year? Once? In the first game of the year at Duquesne? If we had a talent problem we’d be getting blown out night in and night out, but we’re not. Talent is not the issue.

Here’s an example for you. Moody, who led us in scoring tonight with 21 points, made 2 major mistakes in this game. The first was midway through the second half, there was 3 seconds left on the shot clock and we were inbounding the ball under the hoop. The ball goes to Moody, he panics and immediately fired when he had enough time to take a step and get set. The second was the very end of the game. He decides to chuck up a near half courter with 4 seconds left on the clock. Now he got a pretty good look and it nearly went, but again he had a chance to dribble in, get closer and give himself a more reasonable shot but didn’t.

And again, he played a great game and led us in scoring with 21 points. Does that sound like a lack of talent to you?

Griz til I die said:
UMFan12 said:
How many times has this team been blown out this year? Once? In the first game of the year at Duquesne? If we had a talent problem we’d be getting blown out night in and night out, but we’re not. Talent is not the issue.

Here’s an example for you. Moody, who led us in scoring tonight with 21 points, made 2 major mistakes in this game. The first was midway through the second half, there was 3 seconds left on the shot clock and we were inbounding the ball under the hoop. The ball goes to Moody, he panics and immediately fired when he had enough time to take a step and get set. The second was the very end of the game. He decides to chuck up a near half courter with 4 seconds left on the clock. Now he got a pretty good look and it nearly went, but again he had a chance to dribble in, get closer and give himself a more reasonable shot but didn’t.

And again, he played a great game and led us in scoring with 21 points. Does that sound like a lack of talent to you?

Cats were ready to foul any Griz player at end to avoid the 3. Sprinkle even signaled his players to do so. If Moody dribbles once or twice to get closer and get a "reasonable" shot he instead gets 2 free throws. They were down 3!! No " major" mistake was made.

Have a clue!

Griz til I die said:
UMFan12 said:

Having guys who foul more than they rebound and score combined. Having guys who can’t score outside of 10 feet and therefore clog the paint and spacing for the entire team. Having your second best shooter be a 6’9 240 big guy. Having no distributor option beyond Whitney. Having absolutely zero traditional paint presence and shot blocking. And having players who do nothing but clog the paint and be a warm body for foul trouble. Is a talent problem. Yes, it’s a talent problem.

indian-outlaw said:
UMFan12 said:
I think over coached is exactly it. The guys have to play more loose. Let them fly around and show their athletic abilities more without being afraid of making a mistake.
This week's schedule coming up is going to be very difficult for UM. Sac State and Portland State play fast, and I think UM will be lucky to just split.

UMFan12 said:
Griz til I die said:

Having guys who foul more than they rebound and score combined. Having guys who can’t score outside of 10 feet and therefore clog the paint and spacing for the entire team. Having your second best shooter be a 6’9 240 big guy. Having no distributor option beyond Whitney. Having absolutely zero traditional paint presence and shot blocking. And having players who do nothing but clog the paint and be a warm body for foul trouble. Is a talent problem. Yes, it’s a talent problem.
What you just described is not talent, it’s our offense/scheme. Idk if you’ve noticed, but every single team Decuire has had since he got here has fouled at a high percentage, and he’s had some pretty talented teams in case you haven’t been paying attention. And maybe you missed it, but our rebounding was pretty outstanding tonight. I think we doubled up the cats tonight.

Agree to disagree I guess. All I’m gonna say is we played well enough to win this game tonight. Sucks that a late call didn’t go our way and this team once again panicked when it mattered most. This team does not lack talent though!

GrizLA said:
indian-outlaw said:

You think Cam Parker isn’t ready for Saturday?

This week's schedule coming up is going to be very difficult for UM. Sac State and Portland State play fast, and I think UM will be lucky to just split.

Griz til I die said:
UMFan12 said:

I feel the talent analysis lacks context in terms of what it takes to have a successful team. Since you used him, I’ll use Moody as an example. He is a talented shooter, but if the guard that starts next to him in the backcourt has the same exact skill profile as him, it wouldn’t be a good backcourt because it would lack other skills necessary for a good backcourt. And then what if you didn’t have any talent backing them up? Does that mean the two Moodys in my hypothetical backcourt aren’t talented? No. But you aren’t winning many games with them and even less if you have no depth behind them.

And there lies the issue. A few talented players without complimentary skill sets and very little depth results in a team with zero margin for error.

Grizfan1123 said:
GrizLA said:
You think Cam Parker isn’t ready for Saturday?

PSU plays a presure type of transition game. I suppose it could be labled 'fast'. However, Sac is the exact opposite. They play a slower, grind it out type of style. They play a lot like UM. It will be a hard week to prepare for, due to the contrasting styles. You will see a lot of pressing on PSU's part. They are not a great rebounding team. They try to boost their possessions with TOs. I would say that their press is not as good as it has been in years past, but good enough to cause problems if you get careless with the ball.

Back