• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Basketball 2023-24 Schedule Tracker

https://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1678802226771263509?s=20
Friday, November 24 at Houston. This will be without question our toughest non-conference game as Houston has been incredible the last 5 years. I'll consider it a win if we can keep it within 20 points. Although, if you're gonna play these guys, this is probably the time to play them as they're transitioning in to the Big 12 and they lost some serious talent from last seasons team. Also, shoutout Uptopgriz who gave us the clue on this game about a month ago. I know people have been critical of you on the Football board but if you can continue to contribute great truthful info like this, I'd be happy to go to war for you brother! Can't wait to hear more info on Oregon and if that game happens and when!

Griz til I die said:
uptopgriz said:
Maybe, still struggling to get teams to come to Missoula.
I have heard it's happening, they're just waiting for one of the teams to return the contract and it's expected sometime shortly

Struggling to get teams to come to Missoula because of the costs.

Griz til I die said:
Friday, November 24 at Houston. This will be without question our toughest non-conference game as Houston has been incredible the last 5 years. I'll consider it a win if we can keep it within 20 points. Although, if you're gonna play these guys, this is probably the time to play them as they're transitioning in to the Big 12 and they lost some serious talent from last seasons team. Also, shoutout Uptopgriz who gave us the clue on this game about a month ago. I know people have been critical of you on the Football board but if you can continue to contribute great truthful info like this, I'd be happy to go to war for you brother! Can't wait to hear more info on Oregon and if that game happens and when!

I'm right on everything I say on the football board too. Some people just don't like to acknowledge it. The Oregon game is coming if they can confirm the date.

uptopgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I'm right on everything I say on the football board too. Some people just don't like to acknowledge it. The Oregon game is coming if they can confirm the date.
Any other bigtime money games we should be aware of besides these 2?

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1679956435965292544?s=20
November 10th against Oregon, the opening week of the season! Ooh I love that this game is early! I think this one's got upset potential! Oregon had a tough season and they've had a tough offseason. Some of their top players including Quincy Gurrier left the program this Summer and they have struck out hard in the portal. They had one big time transfer committed and he ended up decommitting and they don't have much left. Dana Altman's days in Eugene may be numbered. This is a very winnable game for the Griz. I'm smelling upset in this one!

Also, shoutout Uptop again! 2 for 2 man, you know your stuff and I tip my hat to you! Do you know of anymore games?

Well today is August 1 and we only know of a whopping 5 non-conference opponents! Here's what we got:

November 10 @ Oregon
November 24 @ Houston
November 29 @ Nevada
January 3 @ NDSU
January 6 vs. South Dakota

That means there are still 8 games out there that nobody has reported on, that's absurd. So far, only 1 home game and it's the Big Sky - Summit League Challenge. We should have at least 2 other home games against non-D1 teams that's permitted by the Big Sky. That would put us at 3 home games counting the South Dakota game. Still nothing on the Zootown Classic and who the opponents are. There's a website out there that tracks every D1 team playing in an MTE and the list of teams so far that are not currently in an announced MTE is getting really thin. You can kind of boil it down to see who some of the prospective teams are that are potentially coming to Missoula, but it's kind of a bad sign that nobody has reported on it yet and we are now into August. That tells me they have really struggled to get teams to come to Montana.

Let's assume the Zootown Classic is happening along with 2 non D1 opponents, that still leaves us with 3 games to uncover. Currently, we have no home and homes scheduled with anyone, so unless some new ones arise here upon the announcement of the schedule later this month, that tells me we're gonna be playing a lot of money games and we already have 3 on the schedule. It appears that the athletic department has had one hell of a time putting together a non-conference schedule, and I feel for them if that's the case. Scheduling can be a very difficult thing sometimes and I wish it could be easier to get attractive non-conference opponents like the Lady Griz have with Wazzu and Gonzaga both coming to Missoula. You'd never be able to pull that off in Men's Basketball!

Last seasons schedule was announced on August 18. I'm skeptical that we will hit that date this year. It will likely be later then that it appears!

https://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/status/1686794824865771523?s=20
Hallelujah! We got a home game to report! This is when you know you are struggling to get non-conference games when you have to schedule the same opponent twice. So we have an in-season home and home with San Jose State. They'll come to Missoula on Saturday December 2, and we will go to San Jose on Sunday December 17. Always good to get a Mountain West team to come to Missoula. That gives us 3 games against the Mountain West in non-conference (2 road, 1 home) along with a PAC 12 and Big 12 opponent plus 2 Summit League opponents. This is setting up to be a tough non-conference schedule!

San Jose State must be having an absolutely brutal time getting games cause they also scheduled an in season home and home with NDSU. Yikes!

Updated non-conference schedule:
November 10 @ Oregon
November 24 @ Houston
November 29 @ Nevada
December 2 vs. San Jose State
December 17 @ San Jose State
January 3 @ NDSU

Well for those of you haven't seen, the cats have posted their men's basketball non-conference schedule:
November 6 vs. Northwest Indian College
November 11 @ Seattle
November 16 @ CAL
November 20 vs. Green Bay
November 22 vs. UC Riverside
November 26 vs. Long Beach State
November 30 vs. Rocky
December 5 @ Washington
December 16 vs. SAGU AIC
December 19 vs. Southern Utah
December 22 @ Cal-State Northridge
January 3 vs. Oral Roberts
January 6 @ South Dakota State

A few things stand out to me:

- First of all, this is an absolutely pussy schedule. This is incredibly soft and honestly kind of a joke. They're not really testing themselves much at all. Only 2 money games against Washington and CAL who will not be at the top of the PAC 12 standings. I do think both of those teams will be improved and will be tougher games then they would have been last season, but they are by no means Arizona or UCLA. They could very well finish 8-5 or better in non-conference despite the fact that they may have a far worse team. No Mountain West teams on their schedule either. I guess if you're overhauling a roster and you have a new coach it may be a good thing to have a relatively light first year schedule though.

- Second of all, they have 3 games scheduled against non-D1 opponents. Not exactly sure how they think they're getting away with that as the Big Sky has a limit of only 2 games against non D1's. The conference cancelled our game against Providence last year because of too many non D1's. So how the hell are the cats getting around that?

- Kudos to the cats for scheduling 8 home games. Last year they were only able to get 4. Only 5 of these games however are D1 opponents and Long Beach State and Southern Utah are the back end of home and home series, but they also have a 2 game MTE in Bozeman with Green Bay (trash) and UC Riverside (also trash). Their Summit League Challenge games will be tough though with ORU and SDSU.

Griz til I die said:

- Second of all, they have 3 games scheduled against non-D1 opponents. Not exactly sure how they think they're getting away with that as the Big Sky has a limit of only 2 games against non D1's. The conference cancelled our game against Providence last year because of too many non D1's. So how the hell are the cats getting around that?

One of them could be categorized as an “exhibition”. Sometimes these exhibition games count for the lower division school and not for the school that scheduled them.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Griz til I die said:

One of them could be categorized as an “exhibition”. Sometimes these exhibition games count for the lower division school and not for the school that scheduled them.
I don't think it is an exhibition because that first game is on the opening night of the regular season

According to Rocco Miller, Washington is hosting a Big Sky team in Seattle on December 21st. I’m kind of skeptical that it’s us as we already have a really beefed up schedule with 3 Mountain West games, a PAC 12 game and a Big 12 game. By my estimations too, we probably only have room for about 1 more road game and this schedule is already pretty top heavy, but maybe. That would be a window for a game we would be looking for. I’ll do my best to find out if it’s us!

Griz til I die said:
According to Rocco Miller, Washington is hosting a Big Sky team in Seattle on December 21st. I’m kind of skeptical that it’s us as we already have a really beefed up schedule with 3 Mountain West games, a PAC 12 game and a Big 12 game. By my estimations too, we probably only have room for about 1 more road game and this schedule is already pretty top heavy, but maybe. That would be a window for a game we would be looking for. I’ll do my best to find out if it’s us!
Update: The Big Sky opponent playing UW is Eastern. I didn’t think it was us but you never know!

Idaho has finalized their non-conference schedule"

November 6 @ Washington State
November 9 vs. Cal State Northridge
November 14 vs. Evergreen State
November 17 vs. Pacific Lutheran
November 22 @ Seattle
November 24 UC San Diego (in Seattle)
November 29 vs. Denver
December 2 vs. Cal Poly
December 5 vs. Pacific
December 9 @ Utah Tech
December 17 @ Stanford
December 21 @ UC Riverside
January 3 vs. St. Thomas

- Only 2 money games on Idaho's schedule (WSU, Stanford) and they are against what will possibly be the 2 worst teams in the PAC 12 this year. I don't think Idaho will win either of these games just because Alex Pribble has a big re-building job on his hands this year, but if this were one of the top Big Sky teams, I could see these being upsets!

- Idaho got screwed. For the Big Sky - Summit League Challenge, they host St. Thomas and they were supposed to play at Western Illinois but WIU left the Summit League after the matchups were announced. The good news though is that Idaho replaced them with a home game against Summit League opponent Denver. I don't believe this will count as part of the challenge series but it worked out for the Vandy's and were able to give them an additional home game.

- 7 home non-conference games (5 D1 home games) for Idaho is outstanding! They've really done a good job the last couple years since their new arena opened. Overall, this schedule is not too tough and they're gonna have a chance to win a fair amount of these games which could give them some confidence heading into conference play. I would say this is an easier schedule then the cats but Idaho has been dead last in the conference for a while so I'll give them a pass!

NAU has finalized their non conference schedule, and what a treat getting to play the defending national champions on the opening night of the season! Here’s their full schedule:

November 6 @ UCONN
November 12 @ Grand Canyon
November 15 @ Seattle
November 17 Purdue Fort Wayne (Phoenix)
November 18 VMI/South Dakota (Phoenix)
November 21 @ Hawaii
November 29 @ UC Santa Barbara
December 2 vs. Pacific Oregon
December 6 @ Abilene Christian
December 9 @ Incarnate Word
December 16 vs. Southern Utah
December 20 @ San Francisco
January 3 @ Omaha
January 6 vs. North Dakota

- Absolute marathon of a road schedule for NAU. 11 road games in non-conference play that spans the entire country going as far East as Connecticut and as far West as Hawaii. All this travel alone is gonna destroy NAU’s season. This much travel really wares guys down. They’re gonna be feeling it hard come conference play.

- Only 3 home games and not a single home game in the month of November. Absolutely miserable!

- What’s up with everybody playing at Seattle? All 3 non conference schedules I’ve posted so far are all playing at Seattle. I’ve never seen that before.

Gonna be a long season for NAU. Hope they enjoy seeing the country!

Well we have officially surpassed last years release date which isn’t all that surprising. I asked our new assistant coach Reuben Williams on Twitter when the schedule will be released and he said very soon, so I’m hopeful that it will be sometime this week and then we can finally put this to rest! While we wait, Idaho State released their schedule:

November 6 vs. Warner Pacific
November 10 @ St. Thomas
November 12 @ Iowa State
November 16 vs. Northwest
November 20 @ The Citadel
November 21 @ Campbell
November 28 @ Pepperdine
December 2 vs. Lindenwood
December 5 @ Fresno State
December 9 @ Southern Utah
December 21 @ Oregon State
January 3 @ Denver
January 6 vs. Omaha

Update: I’ve been told that our schedule is not complete yet, but it’s close! Expect to see it announced either later this week or next week!

Still waiting on our schedule to be released, but in the meantime Weber and Sac State have finalized their schedules:

Weber State Non-conference Scehdule
November 7 vs. Benedictine
November 12 @ St. Mary's
November 17 Gardner-Webb (New Brunswick, Canada)
November 18 Colgate (New Brunswick, Canada)
November 19 Yale (New Brunswick, Canada)
November 27 vs. Navajo Tech
December 5 @ Utah Valley
December 9 vs. Cal Poly
December 13 @ Nevada
December 16 @ Wyoming
December 21 vs. Park
January 3 vs. South Dakota State
January 6 @ Oral Roberts

- Weber does not play a single P5 opponent. I'm not sure I've ever seen that from a Big Sky team before. Despite that, they do have some really tough mid-major games against St. Mary's who's always a WCC power, Colgate who has dominated the Patriot League in recent years, Utah Valley, Nevada, SDSU, and Oral Roberts will all be tough games.

-Weber, similarly to the cats is also playing 3 Non-D1opponents. Maybe the Big Sky has softened it's stance on this policy but that's twice that we've seen this now!

Sacramento State Non-conference Schedule:
November 7 @ Nevada
November 10 @ Stanford
November 14 vs. Pacific Union
November 17 @ Tulane
November 20 Tarleton State (San Juan Capistrano)
November 22 Cal State Bakersfield (San Juan Capistrano)
November 26 @ UC Davis
December 2 @ Long Beach State
December 9 vs. Cal State Fullerton
December 18 vs. UC San Diego
December 21 vs. Bethesda
January 3 vs. UMKC
January 6 @ St. Thomas

-Only 1 P5 game and it's a winnable one against Stanford

-Nevada is playing 3 Big Sky opponents between UM, Sac State and Weber. It'll be interesting to see how they all perform against them

Zootown Classic Update: Can confirm the tournament is officially happening from November 14-16 with North Dakota State and UC Davis coming to town. We will host UC Davis on Wednesday November 15 and host North Dakota State on Thursday November 16. UC Davis and NDSU will face each other on Tuesday November 14. That's too bad they weren't able to secure a 4th team but that's life sometimes. This also means that we play NDSU twice similarly to SJSU, but with how brutal of a time they've had scheduling home games this year, I guess this isn't that much of a shocker. Here is the updated non-conference schedule:

November 10 @ Oregon
November 15 vs. UC Davis
November 16 vs. North Dakota State
November 24 @ Houston
November 29 @ Nevada
December 2 vs. San Jose State
December 17 @ San Jose State
January 3 @ North Dakota State

That still leaves 4 games out there. 2 of those games I guarantee you will be home games against non-D1's and considering I've now seen 2 different Big Sky schools get away with scheduling more than 2 non-D1's, I think we may do the same. I bet there's also at least 1 more road game out there against mid major team that should likely round out the schedule. Good god what a nightmare it's been tracking the schedule this year. I hope it's never this difficult ever again!

Back