• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gresch to Texas St

Merkleman said:
PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:
kemajic said:
What Rosey/Hauck error?

The hypocracy on here is stunning. Nobody even knows what’s going to happen with the QB competition at Texas State and the Stitt/ Jensen haters are taking shots at them for him “being handed the job” when Hauck did that very thing with his hand picked QB, RB and his son.

To funny

With Calhoun suspended, who would you have started at rb? Note that Calhoun eventually worked his way to starter, after the suspension and concussion.

Robbie Hauck had the second most tackles on the team, was about top 5 or 6 in the conference in tackles, was honorable mention all-conference, and was 7th in the award for frosh player of the year. He had a nice year. The safeties, including Hauck, seemed to rotate.

The coaches, the several players I talked to, and I thought Sneed was a better qb than Jensen.

Are you just concerned about the supposed "handed" part, or do you think the wrong players played?

My point was “handed”. My argument all along was how it played out not who should have started. Jensen is better than Sneed in some areas and Sneed is better than Jensen in some. Hauck promised Sneed he I’d he signed he would run with the Ones. He kept his word.

Some people on here want to bash Jensen for Stitt bringing him in. Mean while Hauck recruited Sneed to UNLV and then Brought him to Montana and immediately put in first team. The guys that did start may very well have been the best choices. I can’t and won’t argue otherwise. What I will say is, we may never know. How much would a Freshman progress? Maybe he doesn’t.

I too have spoke to players. I have said before, Haick and Rosy told Jensen he was leaving he was the guy and maybe they went to far with the head games.

You have been around long enough to know that after Jensen left they would never admit anything else. Just like I guy who dated 10’s his entire life and marries a 5. Wife says am I the prettiest girl you ever dated? Sure honey it’s not even close.

it’s just sad that the pro Hauck anti Stitt crowd is bashing Jensen for literally the same exact situation as Sneed.

Jensen recruited by Montana, leaves and goes to Juco. Stitt gets a new job and brings Jensen in.

Sneed recruited by Hauck, leaves and goes to Juco. Hauck gets a new job and brings in Sneed.

Point being if Jensen’s a quitter so is Sneed.....the reality is nether are quitters and both are good football players trying to do what’s best for themselves.

Calhoun should have been 1st team from the minute Hauck got here. Even without the fight he wasn’t going to be with the ones. Hauck delayed it as long as he could when he saw the season slipping away.

I don't see many people bashing Jensen.

Sneed left after the fall season, announcing on Dec. 14, not after spring ball. Sneed wanted to remain at QB. Big difference. Not even remotely similar.

I know you have this mantra about what Hauck/Rosie did and said to Jensen, but I have yet to find verification for that, by the way. I suspect your dislike of Hauck is coming into play.

Calhoun was with the 1's the two games before he said he wouldn't to redshirt. That is not consistent with he was "never going to be with the 1's".

Here's Brint's July 25 depth chart. I don't see Eastwood ahead of Calhoun.

Offense

QB: Sneed / Humphrey
RB: Lee / Calhoun or Green or Eastwood
WR: Curran / Akem
WR: Toure or Calhoun / Taylor
WR: Louie-McGee / Roberts
TE: Bingham / Hill or Corbin
T: Beaver / Scott
T: Jackson / Keintz
G: Eickmeyer / Scott
G: Villanueva / Longoria
C: Hart / Meyer

MTGRZ said:
I don't blame either side (Gresch or Hauck/Staff) for the departure. It is what it is. Players often leave programs when the coaches that recruited them are gone. Wish him the best moving forward, I'm going to put my energy into the kids on the Griz team, not those who have left-for whatever reason. Onwards and upwards, Go Griz!

me neither, if i was a qb and thought that i could play at this level and proved it to myself by
playing several games the year before, and then realizing in spring camp that someone else was in the cards and getting more attention etc i would move on as well so that i could continue to play and utilize my talent. any man with any sense can read the handwriting on the wall, it does not take 101 egrizers to tell him how he should see it or think about it and to be a sport.
the boy wanted to play football and he did and he will......how can you blame him all things considered, he was a football player first and he showed us and himself that he was good enough to play on a team.
play football or ride the pine.....hmmm
hell, i do not like playing 3 player cutthroat in pool, because i love shooting pool and you don't get enough playing time to get in a rhythm playing this game, so i don't play it. not really a good analogy but hopefully you get the point, i love it and want to play not watch.

PlayerRep said:
CatzWillRise said:
grizindabox said:
Seriously, why is it so difficult for some people to realize that GJ packed up his tent and went home. Instead of working on his game to prove he should be the starter, he started to pout and left. I don't care who Hauck gave number 1 reps to at the start, you have to keep working and fighting and GJ did the exact opposite and made the distance between himself and Sneed look like the Grand Canyon. As for what happens in San Marcos, I could care less.

And yet that’s why Sneed is even here in the first place, he “packed up his tent and went home”.

No, Sneed didn't pack up and leave. He left UNLV because they wanted him to play a position other than QB. He made his announcement on Dec. 14, not after spring ball. Jensen left because he didn't like where it was sitting on the depth chart after spring ball.

"Had Sneed stayed, he probably would have been moved to a position other than quarterback, where he holds Arizona high school career records for passing yards (8,377) and touchdown passes (87)."

The only real difference I see between Jensen's departure and Sneed's is that Jensen "quit" during the competition, and Sneed "quit" after he lost his competition. A distinction worth noting but does that make one guy that much worse than the other?

CatzWillRise said:
PlayerRep said:
CatzWillRise said:
grizindabox said:
Seriously, why is it so difficult for some people to realize that GJ packed up his tent and went home. Instead of working on his game to prove he should be the starter, he started to pout and left. I don't care who Hauck gave number 1 reps to at the start, you have to keep working and fighting and GJ did the exact opposite and made the distance between himself and Sneed look like the Grand Canyon. As for what happens in San Marcos, I could care less.

And yet that’s why Sneed is even here in the first place, he “packed up his tent and went home”.

No, Sneed didn't pack up and leave. He left UNLV because they wanted him to play a position other than QB. He made his announcement on Dec. 14, not after spring ball. Jensen left because he didn't like where it was sitting on the depth chart after spring ball.

"Had Sneed stayed, he probably would have been moved to a position other than quarterback, where he holds Arizona high school career records for passing yards (8,377) and touchdown passes (87)."

The only real difference I see between Jensen's departure and Sneed's is that Jensen "quit" during the competition, and Sneed "quit" after he lost his competition. A distinction worth noting but does that make one guy that much worse than the other?

Well, if that is the only difference you see, then you are a football dummy, or a troll, or both. No one asked Jensen to change positions. Big difference. Also, departing in December is way different than departing after spring ball.

Being asked to change from QB to WR means the coaches don't think you are a top 4 QB on the roster. They don't ask QBs to switch positions that they think are going to help them win games at QB.

CatzWillRise said:
Being asked to change from QB to WR means the coaches don't think you are a top 4 QB on the roster. They don't ask QBs to switch positions that they think are going to help them win games at QB.

Sorry, but that's not true.

Do you think the MSU coaches asked Anderson to switch positions because he wasn't top 4 at running back or top 4 at linebacker?

Do you think the MSU coaches asked your backup qb to play receiver this year, because he wasn't top 4?

Do you think Anderson will likely move from qb next year, because he won't be top 4?

Man, you just proved that you are a football dummy. Keep it up. I'd like to see how many stupid things you can say.

CatzWillRise said:

I guess it depends on the situation.

Andersen is a tough example because I'm convinced he could play very well at almost every position on the field. We asked him to switch positions because we NEEDED him at qb.

In the case of a Travis Jonsen, we asked him to switch to wide receiver when it became clear he would never play qb for us. It ended up being a great decision as he really evolved into a good receiver.

What position was sneed asked to change to? Was it because he was more valuable to the team somewhere else or because he wouldn't crack the qb depth chart?

ilovethecats said:
CatzWillRise said:

I guess it depends on the situation.

Andersen is a tough example because I'm convinced he could play very well at almost every position on the field. We asked him to switch positions because we NEEDED him at qb.

In the case of a Travis Jonsen, we asked him to switch to wide receiver when it became clear he would never play qb for us. It ended up being a great decision as he really evolved into a good receiver.

What position was sneed asked to change to? Was it because he was more valuable to the team somewhere else or because he wouldn't crack the qb depth chart?

Sneed finished his frosh season playing a bit of receiver at UNLV, I think after an injured qb got healthy. He had been pressed into service at qb during that season, and started 5 games, playing fairly well in some and not so well in others. Sneed is also a very good athlete. Besides being a good qb, it looks like he could be a receiver and running back.

"Rebels coach Tony Sanchez announced today that Sneed will play wide receiver against Boise State, stepping in at a position depleted because of injuries. Devonte Boyd, the Rebels’ leading receiver, broke his arm last week against Wyoming and is lost for the season — the fourth scholarship receiver to suffer a season-ending injury.

“Sunday night, (Sneed) came in and talked to me and after thinking about it, it was kind of a no-brainer,” Sanchez said. “He is a competitor, a great athlete, and he came to us and said, ‘I want to help the team.’”

Sneed started five games at quarterback this season for the Rebels, leading the team to wins over Fresno State and Hawaii.

He has never played receiver, even in high school, but showed he has the athleticism by rushing for 355 yards this season, including a spectacular 91-yard touchdown against Fresno State. Sneed, who lost the starting job to Kurt Palandech, will likely finish the season at wide receiver before coaches determine his position for next season and beyond.

“You get a guy like Dalton Sneed and he’s a tremendous athlete and he’s had some great plays this year, so let’s find a way to get the ball in his hands,” Sanchez said."

So, you admit that you were wrong when you said players are asked to move to other positions when they not in the top 4 of their positions?

PlayerRep said:
CatzWillRise said:

Sorry, but that's not true.

Do you think the MSU coaches asked Anderson to switch positions because he wasn't top 4 at running back or top 4 at linebacker?

Do you think the MSU coaches asked your backup qb to play receiver this year, because he wasn't top 4?

Do you think Anderson will likely move from qb next year, because he won't be top 4?

Man, you just proved that you are a football dummy. Keep it up. I'd like to see how many stupid things you can say.
I don't know how this one could outdone.

I will admit my top 4 QB statement was hyperbolic, and I'll preface by saying you want at least 2 capable QBs suited up every game, that would be the minimum. Not too many teams in the FCS have a 3rd string guy who can step in and there isn't any dropoff, just the nature of being FCS. Sometimes you can/need to move pieces around to obtain that, and I will admit that just because Sneed got moved that doesn't mean he wasn't a top 4 QB on the roster, but it means they had at least 2 other guys they felt comfortable with, and 1 other guy they likely preferred. You wouldn't move your best option at QB unless the the dropoff from #1 to #2 was small enough that the staff felt just as comfortable with either guy running the show.

Troy Andersen: First, QB is a different animal than any other position and my post was tailored to that. I'm not talking about moving your backup MLB to DE. I'm talking about moving a player from the most important position on the football field. As you surely know, there are always exceptions and Troy Andersen is an exception. He was a unanimous 1st team all-conference QB but a majority of Cat fans don't think he will be QB next year. We might be the first team in history to move a unanimous all-conference QB to a different position. Depending on if we land a transfer QB, Troy might not be a top 3 option next year. Rovig was going to be named the starter moving forward but then he broke his foot that same week and that was that. If Bauman is as good as we hope he is, Troy would likely be our 4th best option assuming the transfer isn't a dud. Troy playing QB this year was the product of a dire situation at QB more than it was the coaches thinking he is a better QB than he is a LB or RB.

Which leads me into your Travis Jonsen question. He was 3rd stringer, not backup, and like I said you ideally want at a minimum of 2 guys who can run the show, but he was a distant 3rd and maybe even 4th with Bauman and the new redshirt rules. It was clear he just wasn't good enough at QB. So he was moved to a position where I think he can turn into a HM type player because the coaches felt comfortable in the other 2-3 guys. By the time they needed a backup QB due to Rovig's injury we were already in the 6th week of the season and Jonsen had stopped practicing with the QBs.

This is all pointless really because it can be simplified: Sneed wasn't going to be the starter at UNLV so he left. Jensen wasn't going to be the starter at UM so he left. One guy is vilified because he didn't want to be a backup, and the other isn't because he didn't want to switch positions.

CatzWillRise said:
One guy is vilified because he didn't want to be a backup, and the other isn't because he didn't want to switch positions.

The truth few will admit: One guy is vilified because he left UM, and the other isn't because he came to UM. It would be difficult for anyone to change my mind on that.

CDAGRIZ said:
CatzWillRise said:
One guy is vilified because he didn't want to be a backup, and the other isn't because he didn't want to switch positions.

The truth few will admit: One guy is vilified because he left UM, and the other isn't because he came to UM. It would be difficult for anyone to change my mind on that.

100% accurate.

CatzWillRise said:
I will admit my top 4 QB statement was hyperbolic, and I'll preface by saying you want at least 2 capable QBs suited up every game, that would be the minimum. Not too many teams in the FCS have a 3rd string guy who can step in and there isn't any dropoff, just the nature of being FCS. Sometimes you can/need to move pieces around to obtain that, and I will admit that just because Sneed got moved that doesn't mean he wasn't a top 4 QB on the roster, but it means they had at least 2 other guys they felt comfortable with, and 1 other guy they likely preferred. You wouldn't move your best option at QB unless the the dropoff from #1 to #2 was small enough that the staff felt just as comfortable with either guy running the show.

Troy Andersen: First, QB is a different animal than any other position and my post was tailored to that. I'm not talking about moving your backup MLB to DE. I'm talking about moving a player from the most important position on the football field. As you surely know, there are always exceptions and Troy Andersen is an exception. He was a unanimous 1st team all-conference QB but a majority of Cat fans don't think he will be QB next year. We might be the first team in history to move a unanimous all-conference QB to a different position. Depending on if we land a transfer QB, Troy might not be a top 3 option next year. Rovig was going to be named the starter moving forward but then he broke his foot that same week and that was that. If Bauman is as good as we hope he is, Troy would likely be our 4th best option assuming the transfer isn't a dud. Troy playing QB this year was the product of a dire situation at QB more than it was the coaches thinking he is a better QB than he is a LB or RB.

Which leads me into your Travis Jonsen question. He was 3rd stringer, not backup, and like I said you ideally want at a minimum of 2 guys who can run the show, but he was a distant 3rd and maybe even 4th with Bauman and the new redshirt rules. It was clear he just wasn't good enough at QB. So he was moved to a position where I think he can turn into a HM type player because the coaches felt comfortable in the other 2-3 guys. By the time they needed a backup QB due to Rovig's injury we were already in the 6th week of the season and Jonsen had stopped practicing with the QBs.

This is all pointless really because it can be simplified: Sneed wasn't going to be the starter at UNLV so he left. Jensen wasn't going to be the starter at UM so he left. One guy is vilified because he didn't want to be a backup, and the other isn't because he didn't want to switch positions.

This is all I needed to see: "I will admit my top 4 QB statement was hyperbolic", I mean wrong.

Yes, it's true that going to is not the same as going from, just like going up is not the same as going down, just like going left is the not the same as going right.

And, I don't know who is vilifying Jensen, but it sure isn't and hasn't been me.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
Three of the current Texas State qbs were 3 star rated high school qbs. Stitt needs to be careful because all 3 are also Texas homegrown players. He made mistakes here by not recruiting Montana enough, and I think Gresch just being handed the job - as an outsider - may not “play well” in San Marcos. Hopefully Stitt does not repeat the Rosey/Hauck error, and opens it up for all to have a chance - number 1 reps for all.
What Rosey/Hauck error?
Yeah, what error? I mean, it's not like we haven't had THAT discussion about a thousand times here...
I recall the discussions; no evidence of a Rosey/Hauck error.
Probably not in your world, but I wont rehash how they handled the situation. Even Hauck indicated it could've been handled better.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatzWillRise said:

100% accurate.

You do realize that Sneed left because they wanted him to switch positions and he wanted to remain a QB so he transferred...not quite the same deal.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CatzWillRise said:

100% accurate.

You do realize that Sneed left because they wanted him to switch positions and he wanted to remain a QB so he transferred...not quite the same deal.

I totally respect Sneed's move. But if a Griz player did the same when asked to switch positions, he would be a quitter unwilling to help the team. I tell the same to Mrs. CDA when she declines to switch positions to help the team.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

100% accurate.

I totally respect Sneed's move. But if a Griz player did the same when asked to switch positions, he would be a quitter unwilling to help the team. I tell the same to Mrs. CDA when she declines to switch positions to help the team.

Four or five guys on this team switched to a roster position that never saw the field this past season, fullback. If they played, it was on special teams or @ another position. God bless these guys.

Speaking for all the men with wives here, we totally empathize with your observation. Taking one for the team can be a difficult decision for anyone.

Back