• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grade Coach Hauck's 2018 Recruiting Class

Alaska Griz said:
I'm not going to try and grade a currently incomplete class who will mostly all redshirt and train under one of the best strength coaches in the country for a year. But some thoughts:

As far as the mention of stars per class, I can't make any sense of this, especially with a class of half Montana kids, who for the most part do not receive stars. Gabe Sulser was an exception because of his FBS offers. On a side note, Garrett Graves is an exciting recruit at QB. Hope he is the next All-American from Lincoln County after Blaine (Troy)and Vince (Libby).

Just for fun, if the goal is to acquire as many stars in a class as possible, then UM should only recruit out-of-state, where nearly all of our recruits are two and three star players. Or, just recruit transfers, where it is much easier to pick up star-rated kids who washed out of their FBS school for one reason or another. If we simply do those things we can nearly double the amount of stars in our future classes. Ta-da.

Would that make a stronger class? No. Hero sports might rate it higher, but that's about it. For the record, I believe the 5 and 4 stars are a whole different deal. From all the film, Gabe Sulser and Milton Mamula are two of the biggest gets in the class so far, imo. Mamula - 0 stars. Sulser - 2. One thing Hauck said is with our facilities we need to be consistently recruiting against the Mountain West schools going forward. I agree.

Another way of evaluating recruits as fans is to look at what schools you beat out to get the recruit. I see hardly any mention of this. This would seem more constructive than stars at this level. Across the board, if you are beating out nearly all FCS schools who also offer your recruits, that's good. If you are beating out FBS schools on a number of recruits, that's great. In this sense, you're using the film study skills of other college coaches. Again, Montana kids seem to fall outside this scenario, except for the Sulser types of the state, who could have went a lot of places.

I don't really prescribe to those methods at this level though. Watch a lot of tape, find good young men that will buy into the TEAM; feed them (once they've signed), coach them, hope for the best. Look at NDSU signing nearly their whole class in the early signing period with almost no transfers. Looking at the quality of players they got, that's awesome. As far as hyping a high school class at this level, all you have to do is look at the attrition rate of past classes to realize many won't see meaningful snaps for two years, and between that time many will get injured, transfer, or never improve significantly. Cliché as it is, waiting a few years is a must, which brings me to...

The thing that has me MOST excited about this class is something Bobby has talked about on many occasions. Ultimately, recruits have to buy into a program before they can contribute and reach their potential. This goes beyond a recruiting trip and letter of intent. This class has a good number of kids who simply wanted to be Griz. In Bobby's words, with these types "the investment is already there." This is generally true with most Montana kids, however, in this class several headliners like Sulser, Cole Sain, and Nash Fouch off the top of my head have Grizzly roots and wanted to be Griz from day one. This is an instance where a strong football tradition pays back. I think it will translate into strong leadership, accountability, and perhaps lower attrition amongst this class. We shall see!

One more thought on the cb situation. It makes sense to me that Hauck wants to see what players can switch positions before he uses the rest of his scholarships. He'd be a fool to not utilize the players on the team. Rather than cut a bunch of highly regarded athletes, why not wait until after spring ball, balance out the roster numbers to improve depth and then actively seek players to come in and fill holes. For now, folks can only guess at which wr will make a good cb. It might be 1, it might be four. Nash was a wr just over a year ago and is, imo, already our best cb with a very high ceiling...Okay, sorry for long post. Off to the basketball game. Go Griz!

Fantastic and well thought out post

Mamula is a big question mark. Game film only shows remarkable plays, of course, and he shows some serious speed off the ball...but. He played at Episcopal Academy, a small high-brow prep school outside of Philadelphia. His competition was not that great, comprised of other no-name preppies that emphasize lacrosse, field hockey and soccer. Football is not their trophy sport there. Episcopal Academy is like a B or C class high school in Montana. If he was that great, why did he not receive attention from the dozens of FCS schools in the East?

No knock on the kid. Hope he likes Missoula and the lifestyle of the West and fits in. Like all of us...hoping for some gems in this class. I'll assign a grade when the transfers show up.

66volvo said:
Mamula is a big question mark. Game film only shows remarkable plays, of course, and he shows some serious speed off the ball...but. He played at Episcopal Academy, a small high-brow prep school outside of Philadelphia. His competition was not that great, comprised of other no-name preppies that emphasize lacrosse, field hockey and soccer. Football is not their trophy sport there. Episcopal Academy is like a B or C class high school in Montana. If he was that great, why did he not receive attention from the dozens of FCS schools in the East?

No knock on the kid. Hope he likes Missoula and the lifestyle of the West and fits in. Like all of us...hoping for some gems in this class. I'll assign a grade when the transfers show up.

He did have a number of other FCS offers out that way (SFU, Bryant, etc) plus a PWO from Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. He was also listed as one of the Top 50 players in Pennsylvania.

66volvo said:

He had some injuries that have gotten in his way.

66volvo said:

Looks like he had offers from Navy, two CAA teams in New Hampshire and Rhode Island, two Northeast Conference teams in Saint Francis and Bucknell, plus PWO at Michigan. Bobby mentioned that he is a late bloomer who dealt with injury and thus underrecruited. I'd venture to say two of the main ways FCS teams end up with top talent is by finding guys who are late bloomers or undersized, which is often one and the same, essentially the diamond in the rough. Other reasons might be academics, and possible early playing time. Then there are FBS transfers.

Mamula:

“He’s unbelievable,” Episcopal coach Todd Fairlie said. “He’s a difference maker at every bit and that sealed the game. … He’s tremendous.”

“I don’t really know,” Mamula said Saturday. “It is what it is, I guess. Hopefully, I get some more looks. It’s kind of hard because this is my first full year playing. No one’s probably really heard of me because I just wasn’t really on the map until this year basically. So hopefully I’ll have more looks at the end of the season.”

Part of the answer probably lies in time Mamula has missed because of injuries during his career. Last season, he broke his foot and missed the first five games of the season. Halfway through the season, it hadn’t healed, but as Mamula put it, “It was my junior season” — one of the most important in the recruiting process.

So Mamula tried to play. By the end of the season, “it was split apart too much,” and Mamula had to have surgery, though he still managed to earn second-team All-Inter-Ac honors. Rehab was “a breeze,” though, and he entered the season healthy.

He’s stayed healthy, too, and Episcopal offensive lineman Adam Klein said he’s seen Mamula make significant gains in the weight room.

“That kid might possibly have the best first step I’ve ever seen,” Klein said. “Going up against him in practice is an awesome test for later years, and obviously this year. He’s a great player, great guy. I wouldn’t want him to be on any other team.”

Mamula said his father’s connections from his time in the NFL have paid off in his recruitment. A scout Mike Mamula knew from Michigan was surprised Mamula wasn’t getting many offers in his recruitment, so the Wolverines extended him the preferred walk-on spot."

isn't this class and really all classes pretty comparable....it really comes down to teaching, putting people in the right places, discipline, weight room , buying into program etc.....at this level they all can play football.....coaches like bobby earn their pay check for what they are able to do after signing day imo...

and yes, you have to have good players......

bitterrootobserver said:
It appears that Eastern Washington had another stellar recruiting class. Many sites say #1 in Big Sky and top ten FCS nationally.

Doesn’t surprise me. They got a lot of 3 star athletes out of Washington. Didn’t do as much in trenches but focused on those perimeter guys. They got Tre Weed who is going to light it up on defense. Snell is also a good get as a slot receiver. Reminds me of Shaq Hill. They got speed a lot of it. We won’t rank as high because our Montana recruits never get the star recognition. Sulser is not a two star and he’s about the only one ranked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitterrootobserver said:
It appears that Eastern Washington had another stellar recruiting class. Many sites say #1 in Big Sky and top ten FCS nationally.

Just curious what sites you’re referring to. I always like checking those out and see where other schools and conferences stacked up. I know you can put very little stock to it, but it’s February and there’s nothing else to do, might as well check those out.

Looks like Hero sports is doing something, but they only have a top 25 individual recruits up right now.

Catsrgrood said:
bitterrootobserver said:

Just curious what sites you’re referring to. I always like checking those out and see where other schools and conferences stacked up. I know you can put very little stock to it, but it’s February and there’s nothing else to do, might as well check those out.

Looks like Hero sports is doing something, but they only have a top 25 individual recruits up right now.

Also, HERO sports exclusively uses 247Sports for their database. There are still Griz and Bobcat recruits not even listed as "signed" yet within the 247Sports website even though those kids are officially signed with their teams.

Some times I think it is nothing but a bunch of stupid bobcats on here? :( :( FYI = The Grizzlies got the top two players in Montana, 3 of the top 4 players, 4 of the top 5 players and 5 of the top 7 players. The Grizzlies' 4 transfers alone could all start on any team in the BSC and may very well all be starting at Montana next year? QB Dalton Sneed, RB Adam Eastwood and safeties Gavin Robertson and Robby Hauck are all game breakers and will be starting soon! Throw in the rest of the blue chippers who are outstanding in their own right! We are loaded with bear! Pun intended. To think Montana will not contend for an NC next year would be a big mistake! Go Griz! 2018 will prove me right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "We are Montana"! iT IS A FACT!

i_the_sky said:
Some times I think it is nothing but a bunch of stupid bobcats on here? :( :( FYI = The Grizzlies got the top two players in Montana, 3 of the top 4 players, 4 of the top 5 players and 5 of the top 7 players. The Grizzlies' 4 transfers alone could all start on any team in the BSC and may very well all be starting at Montana next year? QB Dalton Sneed, RB Adam Eastwood and safeties Gavin Robertson and Robby Hauck are all game breakers and will be starting soon! Throw in the rest of the blue chippers who are outstanding in their own right! We are loaded with bear! Pun intended. To think Montana will not contend for an NC next year would be a big mistake! Go Griz! 2018 will prove me right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "We are Montana"! iT IS A FACT!

Love the enthusiasm and hope that every players will be a world beater but ease up a little on the cocaine. It’s bad for the blood pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great article out of philly.com on Mamula

[tweet]Episcopal's Milton Mamula to play football at Montana http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/high_school/milton-mamula-mike-mamula-episcopal-montana-20180206.html via @phillysport[/tweet]

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/high_school/milton-mamula-mike-mamula-episcopal-montana-20180206.html

bitterrootobserver said:

HOW? Seriously, HOW? Who in their right mind would chose a town and a field like that over UM, or even dare I say it, state? Just blows my mind that you would rather live and play in Cheny over Missoula or Bozeman.

dayday said:
i_the_sky said:

Love the enthusiasm and hope that every players will be a world beater but
ease up a little on the cocaine. It’s bad for the blood pressure.

:lol: :clap: Seriously, this guy's posts are a hot mess.

MTGRZ said:
bitterrootobserver said:

HOW? Seriously, HOW? Who in their right mind would chose a town and a field like that over UM, or even dare I say it, state? Just blows my mind that you would rather live and play in Cheny over Missoula or Bozeman.

Gawd I agree!! Lot of football players in the state of Wa and maybe they want to be closer to home?? That program has risen up from what it used to be but Cheney??!! Red field??!!

MTGRZ said:
bitterrootobserver said:

I think this every year. As much crap is given back here and back and forth between Cat and Griz fans, it's hard to fathom how EWU consistently lands these guys over MSU and UM. I think both of our classes look very good this year and I'm very happy with the Cats, but how does EWU get the guys they do every year?
WA Griz stadium is the best in the FCS and Bobcat stadium has got to be top 10-15. EWU probably isn't in the top 80. Both MT schools are much better than EWU, the towns and scenery around Missoula and Bozeman and not even in the same conversation with Cheney. It's a head scratcher for sure. Impressive? Yes. Confusing? Very.

Catsrgrood said:
MTGRZ said:
bitterrootobserver said:

I think this every year. As much crap is given back here and back and forth between Cat and Griz fans, it's hard to fathom how EWU consistently lands these guys over MSU and UM. I think both of our classes look very good this year and I'm very happy with the Cats, but how does EWU get the guys they do every year?
WA Griz stadium is the best in the FCS and Bobcat stadium has got to be top 10-15. EWU probably isn't in the top 80. Both MT schools are much better than EWU, the towns and scenery around Missoula and Bozeman and not even in the same conversation with Cheney. It's a head scratcher for sure. Impressive? Yes. Confusing. Very.

Very confusing. Both Montana programs have superior stadiums, fan bases, schools, college towns....I mean what is going on over there? Maybe the state of Washington has more talent in it than we give it credit for? Or are they getting lots of California and Oregon kids too? I just don't get it man.

So what some of you guys are saying, is that you admit that facilities, fan bases and the town have nothing to do with putting a competitive team on the field. I agree by the way. Just like football is about fundamentals more than scheme, coaching is more important that all the smoke and mirrors

Back