• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grade Coach Hauck's 2018 Recruiting Class

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:
bgbigdog said:
Time to watch some film coach. You may have missed some. Off the top of my head, the Mamula kid is a game changer waiting to happen, ALL of the linemen were solid & the SDSU transfer may wind up holding down the backfield in 2018.

We will see but just because a few on here over hype a player doesn't mean he is better than he actually is. You can have that opinion on Mamula, I don't see it. Lets hope he proves me wrong. :thumb:

Hauck said he's the next Kroy Biermann, so it's not just a few on here who are hyping the kid. But hey, you're the "coach"

I seriously doubt Hauck said that, and if he did he's an idiot.

Maybe he meant he's going to marry a reality TV star....... :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:
bgbigdog said:
Time to watch some film coach. You may have missed some. Off the top of my head, the Mamula kid is a game changer waiting to happen, ALL of the linemen were solid & the SDSU transfer may wind up holding down the backfield in 2018.

We will see but just because a few on here over hype a player doesn't mean he is better than he actually is. You can have that opinion on Mamula, I don't see it. Lets hope he proves me wrong. :thumb:

Hauck said he's the next Kroy Biermann, so it's not just a few on here who are hyping the kid. But hey, you're the "coach"

He said it yesterday during his press conference....unlike you I don't make shit up daily. Watch the kids tape and it's not hard to see the comparison. Better yet ask vim or Howard their thoughts.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:

He said it yesterday during his press conference....unlike you I don't make shit up daily. Watch the kids tape and it's not hard to see the comparison. Better yet ask vim or Howard their thoughts.

Hauck literally said it during his presser yesterday and you can listen to it from various media sources. Pretty easy to see the potential of Milton. Kroy played so early because he had a never-ending motor to go with unusual strength for his age as a freshman. Milton has the motor and looks to be strong enough to contribute this fall.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:

To be fair, he actually said "He's a special guy, he reminds me a lot of Kroy Bierman"

I agree with hooked and pr on all they posted and Hauck was very high on mamula. Considered him a huge steal. I also got the impression a few shollies were saved for later. I am impressed with all the nfl experience in the coaching staff. At least 5 guys.

George Ferguson said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

To be fair, he actually said "He's a special guy, he reminds me a lot of Kroy Bierman"

That I believe..... thanks GF.

This is a hard call because of the coaching change. But I’ll do it this way, based on what was added... no where close to done.

Montana kids “A”
Sulser and Turner were the top 2 instate players and UM ended up with 4 of the top 5.

Stitt recruits overall “B”
“A” for D and O line recruits. No CBs hurt. Fouch is a player.

Hauck. “B+”
Limited numbers but the Transfers will play a lot and Mamula (if healthy) is a steal.

BTW. Hauck and company are no where close to done. Don’t be surprised to see a turnover of 7-10 dudes and they still have at least a half dozen schollies available

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:
bgbigdog said:

Open mouth, insert foot, idiot.

What Hauck had to say: "In terms of Milt, we're always worried right up until the letter of intent comes through. He's a guy that I, he had some injury problems, coupled with the fact he's kind of a late bloomer. I was concerned, he's less than an hour from Maryland and Rutgers and all those places. Boston College is right there. That's his dad's alma mater. So, we were really worried about that but he hung in there with us and he's a special guy. He reminds me a lot of Kroy Biermann. Which, I don't mean to put that on the kids. He's going to be Milt Mamula, so he reminds me of his dad as well. He was a teammate of my brother's at the Eagles. That was the connection. So hopefully what we think will happen with him comes to fruition because he can be a big time player."

I thought every UM recruiting class was an A. What's up? Is Hauck now getting a double or tougher standard?

My view is that all the top recruits will be Hauck's and all the others will be Stitt's.

Regarding the earlier comment on transfers/drop downs, I assume Hauck and UM will be extra careful not to take someone who had problems in the past. They can't afford a mistake, or at least early mistake, like that. I doubt that there will be many, if any, second chance kids in the foreseeable future. Perhaps unfortunate, but too risky.

IntuitiveGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Coach said:

What Hauck had to say: "In terms of Milt, we're always worried right up until the letter of intent comes through. He's a guy that I, he had some injury problems, coupled with the fact he's kind of a late bloomer. I was concerned, he's less than an hour from Maryland and Rutgers and all those places. Boston College is right there. That's his dad's alma mater. So, we were really worried about that but he hung in there with us and he's a special guy. He reminds me a lot of Kroy Biermann. Which, I don't mean to put that on the kids. He's going to be Milt Mamula, so he reminds me of his dad as well. He was a teammate of my brother's at the Eagles. That was the connection. So hopefully what we think will happen with him comes to fruition because he can be a big time player."

Ha ha. If you don't think there's a HUGE difference between a coach saying "He's the next Kroy Bierman." and "He reminds me a lot of Kroy Bierman." then I don't know what ta tell ya!

PlayerRep said:
I thought every UM recruiting class was an A. What's up? Is Hauck now getting a double or tougher standard?

My view is that all the top recruits will be Hauck's and all the others will be Stitt's.

Regarding the earlier comment on transfers/drop downs, I assume Hauck and UM will be extra careful not to take someone who had problems in the past. They can't afford a mistake, or at least early mistake, like that. I doubt that there will be many, if any, second chance kids in the foreseeable future. Perhaps unfortunate, but too risky.

nah, they are saying it isn't a great recruiting class as a precaution in case hauck doesn't win right away. if not, they will blame stitt, not hauck. by 'they' i mean most of 'them'.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

nah, they are saying it isn't a great recruiting class as a precaution in case hauck doesn't win right away. if not, they will blame stitt, not hauck. by 'they' i mean most of 'them'.

Thanks. Any straw will do. I will run with this one.

poorgriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Ha ha. If you don't think there's a HUGE difference between a coach saying "He's the next Kroy Bierman." and "He reminds me a lot of Kroy Bierman." then I don't know what ta tell ya!

My understanding is that Hauck said he would be better than Bierman.

Paytonlives said:
Much like Stitts first class. Hauck can be judged more accurately by his second class

+ 1. That first one had like 24 receivers. Did I remember that correctly?

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
poorgriz said:

My understanding is that Hauck said he would be better than Bierman.

Yeah.... You don't understand much... :ditto:

I'm not going to try and grade a currently incomplete class who will mostly all redshirt and train under one of the best strength coaches in the country for a year. But some thoughts:

As far as the mention of stars per class, I can't make any sense of this, especially with a class of half Montana kids, who for the most part do not receive stars. Gabe Sulser was an exception because of his FBS offers. On a side note, Garrett Graves is an exciting recruit at QB. Hope he is the next All-American from Lincoln County after Blaine (Troy)and Vince (Libby).

Just for fun, if the goal is to acquire as many stars in a class as possible, then UM should only recruit out-of-state, where nearly all of our recruits are two and three star players. Or, just recruit transfers, where it is much easier to pick up star-rated kids who washed out of their FBS school for one reason or another. If we simply do those things we can nearly double the amount of stars in our future classes. Ta-da.

Would that make a stronger class? No. Hero sports might rate it higher, but that's about it. For the record, I believe the 5 and 4 stars are a whole different deal. From all the film, Gabe Sulser and Milton Mamula are two of the biggest gets in the class so far, imo. Mamula - 0 stars. Sulser - 2. One thing Hauck said is with our facilities we need to be consistently recruiting against the Mountain West schools going forward. I agree.

Another way of evaluating recruits as fans is to look at what schools you beat out to get the recruit. I see hardly any mention of this. This would seem more constructive than stars at this level. Across the board, if you are beating out nearly all FCS schools who also offer your recruits, that's good. If you are beating out FBS schools on a number of recruits, that's great. In this sense, you're using the film study skills of other college coaches. Again, Montana kids seem to fall outside this scenario, except for the Sulser types of the state, who could have went a lot of places.

I don't really prescribe to those methods at this level though. Watch a lot of tape, find good young men that will buy into the TEAM; feed them (once they've signed), coach them, hope for the best. Look at NDSU signing nearly their whole class in the early signing period with almost no transfers. Looking at the quality of players they got, that's awesome. As far as hyping a high school class at this level, all you have to do is look at the attrition rate of past classes to realize many won't see meaningful snaps for two years, and between that time many will get injured, transfer, or never improve significantly. Cliché as it is, waiting a few years is a must, which brings me to...

The thing that has me MOST excited about this class is something Bobby has talked about on many occasions. Ultimately, recruits have to buy into a program before they can contribute and reach their potential. This goes beyond a recruiting trip and letter of intent. This class has a good number of kids who simply wanted to be Griz. In Bobby's words, with these types "the investment is already there." This is generally true with most Montana kids, however, in this class several headliners like Sulser, Cole Sain, and Nash Fouch off the top of my head have Grizzly roots and wanted to be Griz from day one. This is an instance where a strong football tradition pays back. I think it will translate into strong leadership, accountability, and perhaps lower attrition amongst this class. We shall see!

One more thought on the cb situation. It makes sense to me that Hauck wants to see what players can switch positions before he uses the rest of his scholarships. He'd be a fool to not utilize the players on the team. Rather than cut a bunch of highly regarded athletes, why not wait until after spring ball, balance out the roster numbers to improve depth and then actively seek players to come in and fill holes. For now, folks can only guess at which wr will make a good cb. It might be 1, it might be four. Nash was a wr just over a year ago and is, imo, already our best cb with a very high ceiling...Okay, sorry for long post. Off to the basketball game. Go Griz!

My opinion....there are a couple Montana kids that will never see the field but got signed. Bobby knew he had to have a huge Montana class to satisfy many. I am not going to name them but they are highly over rated for certain reasons. But no question he got a few that are as good as Montana produces so over all MT recruits A- Transfers C....could raise if more actually come in summer but so far too few. Out if state HS kids B (no CB or blue chip RB from out of state.)

Back