• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

IdaGriz01 said:
Griz#64 said:
Who has the most influence on a high school graduate's decision? I would say that #1 is the Parents and #2, the Coaches/Teachers, #3, their peers. In my opinion, our recruiting efforts, and budgeted recruiting funds should be allocated according to our selected priorities.
Except for students with a high commitment to athletics, I have some doubts about your #2 and #3. Over the years, I have talked to a lot of high school students about their college intentions (science fair again). There were indeed athletes who wanted to play for a certain coach. (All minor sports, BTW -- swimming, track & field, and volleyball, are ones I recall.) But, out of all those I talked to, I can only remember one or two who wanted to go to a particular school because of a prof who taught there. And that was because they met the prof (or his students) during some sort of summer institute/camp. Some just liked how a school "sold themselves" through their recruitment pitch, but I'd say where their friends might go was #2, more often than not.

And, just as an aside, summer institutes for high school students are actually a great tool for recruitment ... IF they're done well.

these points reflect my experience, too.

argh! said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Griz#64 said:
Who has the most influence on a high school graduate's decision? I would say that #1 is the Parents and #2, the Coaches/Teachers, #3, their peers. In my opinion, our recruiting efforts, and budgeted recruiting funds should be allocated according to our selected priorities.
Except for students with a high commitment to athletics, I have some doubts about your #2 and #3. Over the years, I have talked to a lot of high school students about their college intentions (science fair again). There were indeed athletes who wanted to play for a certain coach. (All minor sports, BTW -- swimming, track & field, and volleyball, are ones I recall.) But, out of all those I talked to, I can only remember one or two who wanted to go to a particular school because of a prof who taught there. And that was because they met the prof (or his students) during some sort of summer institute/camp. Some just liked how a school "sold themselves" through their recruitment pitch, but I'd say where their friends might go was #2, more often than not.

And, just as an aside, summer institutes for high school students are actually a great tool for recruitment ... IF they're done well.
Actually, I may have mis-interpreted #64's meaning when he mentioned Coaches/Teachers ... he perhaps (probably?) meant the coaches and teachers the students have in high school. And those individuals do indeed have an impact, as least in terms of what college major a student might select. (At least to start with ... as you know, many students change majors after they get to college, sometimes several times.) But in my experience, high school faculty are very, very careful about "pushing" a particular school. If asked, they will answer questions about a school (usually their alma mater), but that's about it. I suppose they're afraid of being accused of using "undue influence" to steer students to their favored school. So ... I still think peer pressure is the #2 factor that influences student choices.

IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Griz#64 said:

Actually, I may have mis-interpreted #64's meaning when he mentioned Coaches/Teachers ... he perhaps (probably?) meant the coaches and teachers the students have in high school. And those individuals do indeed have an impact, as least in terms of what college major a student might select. (At least to start with ... as you know, many students change majors after they get to college, sometimes several times.) But in my experience, high school faculty are very, very careful about "pushing" a particular school. If asked, they will answer questions about a school (usually their alma mater), but that's about it. I suppose they're afraid of being accused of using "undue influence" to steer students to their favored school. So ... I still think peer pressure is the #2 factor that influences student choices.

I think the #1 factor is the schools that accept you. :cool: :cool:

AZGrizFan said:
... I think the #1 factor is the schools that accept you. :cool: :cool:
Well, Duh! :lol: :lol:

But the main discussion here was about what schools HS students might consider seriously. I know, some of them seem to scatter applications all over the place. But that's a lot of work, so most focus on schools they're really interested in, and where they think they have a chance.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I think the #1 factor is the schools that accept you. :cool: :cool:

Where do you guys think location fits into reasons for choosing a school??
Some students want to get out of dodge others want to be closer to home?
Some states have many options other states have very few options.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

But the main discussion here was about what schools HS students might consider seriously. I know, some of them seem to scatter applications all over the place. But that's a lot of work, so most focus on schools they're really interested in, and where they think they have a chance.

Just about every kid I know applies to at least 1 "reach" school. They are counseled to do so, and some of them succeed.

UM is not on a single student's "reach" list...I'd like to see this change.

SoldierGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Just about every kid I know applies to at least 1 "reach" school. They are counseled to do so, and some of them succeed.

I don't see that ever changing for the undergrads. However, it does happen in some of the graduate programs. I've had some friends with decent LSAT's apply for law school at UM that didn't get accepted and ended up somewhere else.

Sam A. Blitz said:
SoldierGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I don't see that ever changing for the undergrads. However, it does happen in some of the graduate programs. I've had some friends with decent LSAT's apply for law school at UM that didn't get accepted and ended up somewhere else.

Why? The bar is too low IMO.

O.K.: Why do recruiters make home visits? Why do Coaches make School visits?Why do coaches Follow athletes on twitter and Facebook? Remember athletes are also greatly influenced by their families.

Back