• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

griz5700 said:
Faculty and staff have every right to be furious with Main Hall and anyone involved with recruitment. UM is losing some fantastic minds. That's a shame.

Bodnar and company better get real creative, real fast. UM will be at 5,000 full-time students before you know it.

but you forget that, as per egriz, faculty have plenty of extra time on top of their actual jobs to go out and recruit students. everybody on egriz knows faculty never work. plus, as far as the effect lower student numbers has on the classroom, it is common egriz knowledge that it takes much less work to prepare a high-quality, useful lecture for 10 students than for 30 students.

argh! said:
griz5700 said:
Faculty and staff have every right to be furious with Main Hall and anyone involved with recruitment. UM is losing some fantastic minds. That's a shame.

Bodnar and company better get real creative, real fast. UM will be at 5,000 full-time students before you know it.

but you forget that, as per egriz, faculty have plenty of extra time on top of their actual jobs to go out and recruit students everybody on egriz know faculty never work. indeed, it is common knowledge that it takes much less work to prepare a high-quality, useful lecture for 10 students than for 30 students.

In my years at college completing my doctorate I found most of the fat ass professors I know got that way from sitting on their butts criticizing others without doing anything to actually help with the problems they so easily spot.

horribilisfan8184 said:
argh! said:
griz5700 said:

but you forget that, as per egriz, faculty have plenty of extra time on top of their actual jobs to go out and recruit students everybody on egriz know faculty never work. indeed, it is common knowledge that it takes much less work to prepare a high-quality, useful lecture for 10 students than for 30 students.

In my years at college completing my doctorate I found most of the fat ass professors I know got that way from sitting on their butts criticizing others without doing anything to actually help with the problems they so easily spot.

i agree. there are many commonalities between egriz participants and an overly large percent of professors. but then again, step back for a second and realize how easy it is to castigate all professors based on your limited knowledge. some departments/colleges, usually in the sciences, are full of very hard working people, but who don'6 yet have something you sometimes can't take away from those fat-ass professors - knowledge. that is their commodity. being 'hard working' only goes so far in the intellectual world.

argh! said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
I've no room on my head left to scratch. If the recruitment efforts weren't bad enough, now they are late in getting out scholarship letters??? Crap on 'em even after we have them in the showroom??? Engstrom better be the first professor to go.

engstrom hasn't been the president for something like two years(bqm) there was plenty of time to get the issues fixed between his axing and now. also, chemistry professors probably aren't going anywhere.

15.5 months does not equal 2 years.

This is so simplistic, from the outside looking in. Anybody who has ever done anything of substance in their life understands a leader is not Ghengis Khan today. The best military leaders emerged, healed a dysfuntional unit, and their NCOs would not let them step on their dick too many times. This young genius was brought into this school to heal, slow the downward spiral, and right the course.

THE NEXT BOR MEETING IS NEXT MONTH! Yes, leaving the place you have lived and worked for however many years is strange and uncomfortable, but life goes on. Move to where the jobs are and you'll find Texas or Georgia or Tennessee or wherever is full of great people too. Now some of you might wind up in a place like Idaho or Washington, but if you do, that is your choice. Hell, there are people moving to North Dakota to make little more than twice as much as what a member of academia makes...

Serious question:

How can I sign up to volunteer and present UM at high schools in my area? They have all kinds of college days...

I am willing to go and represent..just need some materials and approval.

I promise to do so sober...

SoldierGriz said:
Serious question:

How can I sign up to volunteer and present UM at high schools in my area? They have all kinds of college days...

Start with the ROTC Detachment, in my opinion. The recruiting coordinator is from Boulder. When you get a platform in the schools (next year because this recruiting cycle is screwed because of all the fucking bureaucratic assholes and lawyers) and take a lot of students with you instead of some old...and get a couple (more if you can) successful graduates that are in fields that kids think they can help serve mankind. These kids are not going to enter careers they perceive as either leeches or parasites on society. This generation wants to restore normalacy to society and any of those disciplines perceived as "evil" will not be considered, especially if it is presented by an egotistical lawyer or businessman, for example. This generation is not about materialistic shit.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
Serious question:

Start with the ROTC Detachment, in my opinion. The recruiting coordinator is from Boulder. When you get a platform in the schools (next year because this recruiting cycle is screwed because of all the f***[*] bureaucratic assholes and lawyers) and take a lot of students with you instead of some old...and get a couple (more if you can) successful graduates that are in fields that kids think they can help serve mankind. These kids are not going to enter careers they perceive as either leeches or parasites on society. This generation wants to restore normalacy to society and any of those disciplines perceived as "evil" will not be considered, especially if it is presented by an egotistical lawyer or businessman, for example. This generation is not about materialistic shit.

Seriously...WTF? I can start with the ROTC detachment without issue. Kids who want to serve find a way to do so. Trust me _ there aren't many. Less than 1% of the generation that "is not about materialistic shit" chooses to do so.

But, I am willing to open the aperture to recruit to UM in general. How do Alum get involved?

SoldierGriz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
Serious question:

Start with the ROTC Detachment, in my opinion. The recruiting coordinator is from Boulder. When you get a platform in the schools (next year because this recruiting cycle is screwed because of all the f***[*] bureaucratic assholes and lawyers) and take a lot of students with you instead of some old...and get a couple (more if you can) successful graduates that are in fields that kids think they can help serve mankind. These kids are not going to enter careers they perceive as either leeches or parasites on society. This generation wants to restore normalacy to society and any of those disciplines perceived as "evil" will not be considered, especially if it is presented by an egotistical lawyer or businessman, for example. This generation is not about materialistic shit.

Seriously...WTF? I can start with the ROTC detachment without issue. Kids who want to serve find a way to do so. Trust me _ there aren't many. Less than 1% of the generation that "is not about materialistic shit" chooses to do so.

But, I am willing to open the aperture to recruit to UM in general. How do Alum get involved?

I gave you a couple of ideas as to what demographic you ought to concentrate on and the reasons why. Go about your own merry way as far as I'm concerned. You evidently have gone beyond the denial phase? Elisabeth would enjoy talking to you.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SoldierGriz said:
Serious question:

I gave you a couple of ideas as to what demographic you ought to concentrate on and the reasons why. Go about your own merry way as far as I'm concerned. You evidently have gone beyond the denial phase? Elisabeth would enjoy talking to you.

Hey cat. GFY.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Argh, did you not get a call back, or something?

this is only like three pages so far, so... not really. help a brother out?

I'm trying, bro. We gotta get you that sit down with the BOR next time around.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html

For all you complainers about the faculty. The pay at UofM is in the bottom 0% percentile in the country. The U pays faculty peanuts, that is especially true of associate professors and it’s even worse for lecturers both of whom are non tenured positions that you all seem to hate so much and do the bulk of the teaching. The University MAKES money off it’s research professors! The profs bring in tons of grant money - like 100 million a year (check my numbers go look it up). In case you are wondering that’s a hell of a lot more than the athletic department. And something like 50 -60% of that money immediately gets taken by the U, before the prof can use it for grad students tuition (which also obviously goes to the U) or equipment or any of the necessities to actual conduct the research the grant is meant to fund. This of course is not unique to the UofM. But you guys need to understand that these profs are not sitting around in ivory towers living off the governments largess they are hugely positive contributors to the financial well being of the school. And they keep breaking records for the amount of money they bring in. So in summary the professors are laughably under paid and bring in tons of money to the U.

Who has the most influence on a high school graduate's decision? I would say that #1 is the Parents and #2, the Coaches/Teachers/#3, their peers. In my opinion, our recruiting efforts, and budgeted recruiting funds should be allocated according to our selected priorities.

Griz#64 said:
Who has the most influence on a high school graduate's decision? I would say that #1 is the Parents and #2, the Coaches/Teachers, #3, their peers. In my opinion, our recruiting efforts, and budgeted recruiting funds should be allocated according to our selected priorities.
Except for students with a high commitment to athletics, I have some doubts about your #2 and #3. Over the years, I have talked to a lot of high school students about their college intentions (science fair again). There were indeed athletes who wanted to play for a certain coach. (All minor sports, BTW -- swimming, track & field, and volleyball, are ones I recall.) But, out of all those I talked to, I can only remember one or two who wanted to go to a particular school because of a prof who taught there. And that was because they met the prof (or his students) during some sort of summer institute/camp. Some just liked how a school "sold themselves" through their recruitment pitch, but I'd say where their friends might go was #2, more often than not.

And, just as an aside, summer institutes for high school students are actually a great tool for recruitment ... IF they're done well.

IdaGriz01 said:
Griz#64 said:
Who has the most influence on a high school graduate's decision? I would say that #1 is the Parents and #2, the Coaches/Teachers, #3, their peers. In my opinion, our recruiting efforts, and budgeted recruiting funds should be allocated according to our selected priorities.
Except for students with a high commitment to athletics, I have some doubts about your #2 and #3. Over the years, I have talked to a lot of high school students about their college intentions (science fair again). There were indeed athletes who wanted to play for a certain coach. (All minor sports, BTW -- swimming, track & field, and volleyball, are ones I recall.) But, out of all those I talked to, I can only remember one or two who wanted to go to a particular school because of a prof who taught there. And that was because they met the prof (or his students) during some sort of summer institute/camp. Some just liked how a school "sold themselves" through their recruitment pitch, but I'd say where their friends might go was #2, more often than not.

And, just as an aside, summer institutes for high school students are actually a great tool for recruitment ... IF they're done well.

Those summer institutes for high school students have to receive more emphasis. Kids want to experience what they are interested in doing and who they'll be learning with, both as peers and instructors. If that psuedointellectual comes across as condescending, arrogant and bothered by the event the kids are going to head to a more welcoming environment.

Again, I believe these kids today are more concerned than ever with serving fellow man rather than greed. Look at all the tiny houses they're building, vertical agriculture, sustainable lifestyles, rebuilding family dynamics. It's as if they all want to be Mother Teresa and save mankind.

Latest posts

Back