• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Former Lady Griz Battle - Carroll v. Western

mthoopsfan

Carroll won in OT. Pickens, Keller Albrecht and scored 31, 13 and 12, and all played big minutes (45, 42 and 40). Momberg scored 17 in 35 minutes. She had 4 steals. Game played at Carroll. Carroll is ranked no. 8. Western is not having a top season. Momberg's little sister starts for Western. Momberg was O-3, and 7-9 from 2.

In Conference only stats:

Pickens, Momberg, Albrecht and Keller are nos. 2, 9, 16 and 17 in scoring.

In FG %, 5th, 7, 12 and 16. 47%, 45.5, 43, 39.

In 3%, Momberg 7th, 39%, Keller 14, 31.5%. With those with more than 20 made 3 pointers, Momberg is no. 1.

In FT%, Keller is 1st with 90%. Pickens is 5th, 71.6%.

Assists: Albrecht, Pickens, Momberg, Keller - 9. 12, 14, 19

Rebounds: Pickens, Albrecht, Momberg, Keller - 1, 13, 24, 42

Steals: Pickens, Albrecht, Momberg, Keller - 2, 12, 12, 14

Blocks: Pickens, Albrecht, Momberg, Keller - 2, 4, 23, 23

Might also note that Karsen Murphy is starting for UT Chattanooga. Her team has been a constant in the mid-majors Top 10 all season long after an NCAA trip last season.

BigBurd said:
Might also note that Karsen Murphy is starting for UT Chattanooga. Her team has been a constant in the mid-majors Top 10 all season long after an NCAA trip last season.

Yes, 25-25 starts. Shooting 44.5% and 35.5% from 3. Leads team with 18 blocks. Team is 22-3 and 10-0 in conference. In mid-major rankings, Gonzaga is no. 1, Chattanooga is no. 12, and NAU is no. 22. 6 ft. junior from Glendive. She's doing very well on a good team. Congrats to her.

mthoopsfan said:
BigBurd said:

Yes, 25-25 starts. Shooting 44.5% and 35.5% from 3. Leads team with 18 blocks. Team is 22-3 and 10-0 in conference. In mid-major rankings, Gonzaga is no. 11, Chattanooga is no. 12, and NAU is no. 22. 6 ft. junior from Glendive. She's doing very well on a good team. Congrats to her.
Gonzaga being anything but No. 1 immediately discredits the poll you’re referring to.

OregonStateFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
Yes, 25-25 starts. Shooting 44.5% and 35.5% from 3. Leads team with 18 blocks. Team is 22-3 and 10-0 in conference. In mid-major rankings, Gonzaga is no. 11, Chattanooga is no. 12, and NAU is no. 22. 6 ft. junior from Glendive. She's doing very well on a good team. Congrats to her.
Gonzaga being anything but No. 1 immediately discredits the poll you’re referring to.

A typo doesn't discredit a poll. What planet are you from? I'm going to start pointing out your BS from time to time. Your coach buddy cut some of these LG without even giving them a chance to show their stuff. Some are doing very well. This particular woman starts on a team much better than the LG. Your coach buddy hasn't won a Big Sky tournament game yet. Is this the year? I sure hope so. Almost all of his early new transfers were wasted scholarships.

mthoopsfan said:
OregonStateFan said:

A typo doesn't discredit a poll. What planet are you from? I'm going to start pointing out your BS from time to time. Your coach buddy cut some of these LG without even giving them a chance to show their stuff. Some are doing very well. This particular woman starts on a team much better than the LG. Your coach buddy hasn't won a Big Sky tournament game yet. Is this the year? I sure hope so. Almost all of his early new transfers were wasted scholarships.
A typo doesn’t, but Gonzaga being No. 11 would. I personally don’t put much stock into mid major polls because the difficulty of conference and non-conference schedule varies widely.

I’m not sure I’d say Chattanooga is “much” better than the Lady Griz (who have played a tougher schedule and have a higher NET).

I’d hope this is the year. He’s certainly accumulated some solid talent and I don’t disagree that it hasn’t quite shown in the results (although they’re much improved this season).

mthoopsfan said:
OregonStateFan said:

"Some" being Momberg and Murphy right? Are the Lady Griz much worse because neither of them is on the team this year? Are they having fun playing at their new schools?

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

"Some" being Momberg and Murphy right? Are the Lady Griz much worse because neither of them is on the team this year? Are they having fun playing at their new schools?

Some of the Carroll girls. Did the new coach try to get Pickens back? Murphy and Pickens would make the LG much better now. Albrecht appears to be playing well this year. The new coach doesn't seem to be able to judge talent. Is there even 1 player brought in by the new coach in his first year, still on the roster? He did better his second year, but 2 of them will be done this season, I believe. But only 7 players got good playing time against the Cats. Must not be much depth. For the team's sake and his, the team had better be better this year at the tournament. I assume all or most of the former players are happy to be away from the LG coach. I'd love to see the 3 Carroll girls and Murphy and Momberg play the LG.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

Some of the Carroll girls. Did the new coach try to get Pickens back? Murphy and Pickens would make the LG much better now. Albrecht appears to be playing well this year. The new coach doesn't seem to be able to judge talent. Is there even 1 player brought in by the new coach in his first year, still on the roster? He did better his second year, but 2 of them will be done this season, I believe. But only 7 players got good playing time against the Cats. Must not be much depth. For the team's sake and his, the team had better be better this year at the tournament. I assume all or most of the former players are happy to be away from the LG coach. I'd love to see the 3 Carroll girls and Murphy and Momberg play the LG.
IMO, there’s a decent-sized difference between being a contributor at the NAIA level and a contributor at the Big Sky level. Albrecht and Keller are excellent contributors at the NAIA level, but they were pretty deep in the rotation at Montana. Same for Sweeney at Idaho Stats. Aside from Pickens (who was long gone before Brian arrived), which of the NAIA girls would likely contribute at Montana?

The depth isn’t great this year, but that’s largely in part to having 1/3 of the scholarship players out due to injuries.

The former players may have been happy to get away from Holsinger, but perhaps most importantly many of the current players seem to be very happy playing for Holsinger in Montana: https://gogriz.com/news/2024/2/17/womens-basketball-gina-and-maggie-and-the-power-of-second-chances

Holsinger has the Lady Griz on track to finish third, which they haven’t done since 2013-14, so I’d think he’s doing just fine judging talent.

I think its wonderful that those girls had someone honestly assess their abilities and where those abilites could be utilized. I am sure they are forever grateful for Coach H's guidance. They make great NAIA players and are getting a chance to shine among other girls who have similar abilities and levels of athletisism. Its a win-win.

Lady Griz are at a 90 net ranking (as of 2/20). Coach H has them on the right track. Hope they can finish the season strong. Lots of buzz around the positive culture and program he is building. He may actually get the program back to being a mid major power.

OregonStateFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
IMO, there’s a decent-sized difference between being a contributor at the NAIA level and a contributor at the Big Sky level. Albrecht and Keller are excellent contributors at the NAIA level, but they were pretty deep in the rotation at Montana. Same for Sweeney at Idaho Stats. Aside from Pickens (who was long gone before Brian arrived), which of the NAIA girls would likely contribute at Montana?

The depth isn’t great this year, but that’s largely in part to having 1/3 of the scholarship players out due to injuries.

The former players may have been happy to get away from Holsinger, but perhaps most importantly many of the current players seem to be very happy playing for Holsinger in Montana: https://gogriz.com/news/2024/2/17/womens-basketball-gina-and-maggie-and-the-power-of-second-chances

Holsinger has the Lady Griz on track to finish third, which they haven’t done since 2013-14, so I’d think he’s doing just fine judging talent.

My view is that Albrecht, and maybe Keller, shouldn't have been deep in rotation at UM. That's my point. Your coach buddy doesn't seem to be able to judge talent. Taking 3 years to take 3d in conference is a long time. That's my point.

Based on who is playing now, next year the team will have 2 starters brought in by the new coach, returning to the team, it looks like. For what will be a 4th year coach, that seems pretty weak. From what I've heard, all of the current players are not happy playing for this coach. I suppose he has the chance to do well in the conference tourney next month, but otherwise he's been a disappointment, in my view.

Grizrunr said:
I think its wonderful that those girls had someone honestly assess their abilities and where those abilites could be utilized. I am sure they are forever grateful for Coach H's guidance. They make great NAIA players and are getting a chance to shine among other girls who have similar abilities and levels of athletisism. Its a win-win.

Lady Griz are at a 90 net ranking (as of 2/20). Coach H has them on the right track. Hope they can finish the season strong. Lots of buzz around the positive culture and program he is building. He may actually get the program back to being a mid major power.

He blew his assessment with Murphy. Like I said, I'd take the 5 former players in a game against the LG right now. Mid-major power? He hasn't even won a conference tournament game. How hard is that? It's time for the coach to get it going. Actually, past time.

Mthoopstumbler never played the game hasn't watched Murphy play a game in 2 or 3 years and thinks preseason scrimmages and high school camp games are where players make or break their careers.

Outside of Momberg and Murphy did any of the other players "cut before they got a chance to show their stuff" ever play again?

I think the former Griz players are right where they should be. Pickens could likely play and do well at a higher level and she left well before Holsinger was hired because she was pissed that Shannon, a family friend was not retained. The others mentioned are right where they should be and I am glad to see them doing well.. Also don't think for a minute that Brian was the total decision maker--he had input from assistants and likely others. I would bet that Keller and Albrecht left on their own when they saw who they would be competing against

Griz66 said:
I think the former Griz players are right where they should be. Pickens could likely play and do well at a higher level and she left well before Holsinger was hired because she was pissed that Shannon, a family friend was not retained. The others mentioned are right where they should be and I am glad to see them doing well.. Also don't think for a minute that Brian was the total decision maker--he had input from assistants and likely others. I would bet that Keller and Albrecht left on their own when they saw who they would be competing against

I doubt that Holsinger had input from assistants. He didn't retain most of them. He was not in Missoula much. He cut the platers mostly without meeting them and via zoom and within a week or so of getting hired. He totally goofed up on Murphy. She is starting on a better team than the Griz. She started about 8 games the first year she got to Chattanooga. Holsinger didn't bring in any new players the first season who were any good or who are even around now. He got lucky bringing one former player back. In his first 2 years, he did nothing with the program. I've been told be relatives of current/former players that Holsinger is a bit arrogant. He was not the first coach offered the job. The LG would have been better off and further along by keeping the prior coach.

The LG looked very good against the Cats. Holsinger better hope that he's got the team playing well enough to win at least one game in the conference tourney.

Mousegriz said:
Mthoopstumbler never played the game hasn't watched Murphy play a game in 2 or 3 years and thinks preseason scrimmages and high school camp games are where players make or break their careers.

Outside of Momberg and Murphy did any of the other players "cut before they got a chance to show their stuff" ever play again?

And you never played a college varsity game in any sport. Again, I'd love to see Murphy and Momberg join Carroll, and see Carroll play and beat the LG. Carroll lost to the Cats by 10 in November, before the Cats had all their injuries. In early Jan., the LG lost to the Cats by 9.

Holsinger had Murphy right in front of him, and then brought in a bunch of lunch meet the first year. What kind of coach cuts 6 players, and replaces them with a bunch of weak players. It would be different if he'd brought in good new players.

Hopefully, the new coach will get his team and act together soon. But he sure hasn't done or shown much in his first 2 years. I can't believe that some of you keep making excuses for him.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

And you never played a college varsity game in any sport. Again, I'd love to see Murphy and Momberg join Carroll, and see Carroll play and beat the LG. Carroll lost to the Cats by 10 in November, before the Cats had all their injuries. In early Jan., the LG lost to the Cats by 9.

Holsinger had Murphy right in front of him, and then brought in a bunch of lunch meet the first year. What kind of coach cuts 6 players, and replaces them with a bunch of weak players. It would be different if he'd brought in good new players.

Hopefully, the new coach will get his team and act together soon. But he sure hasn't done or shown much in his first 2 years. I can't believe that some of you keep making excuses for him.

I’m fascinated to see if the Holsinger will get more or less rope than Shannon who had….1(?) tourney win during her four seasons as head coach.

Back